Apprentice Program Signups: SUMO Doubles OU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Welcome to Battling 101! If you're seeking a tutor for SUMO DOU, you are in the right place. Please read all the rules carefully and fill out every part of the application.

THE RULES

• You must be able to access Skype, Discord, or whatever your tutor wants as the primary form of communication.
  • You must be willing to use Pokemon Showdown! even if you are being tutored in a cartridge format such as Battle Spot or VGC.
  • You, the tutee, are responsible for setting up times with your tutor. Don't expect them to come to you. Take the initiative and post on their VM wall first. Additionally, please be patient if your tutor doesn't respond in the first 2-3 days.
  • Use the Tutee Talk forum to complain about your tutor (or praise them if they're doing a good job). These are no longer mandatory, but if your tutor is ridiculously inactive or is a complete jackass, COMPLAIN HERE.Nobody can see your tutee talk posts except for you and the Battling 101 Staff; everything is confidential.
  • Don't request tutors unless they have agreed to tutor you.
  • You may request priority if you were skipped previously in 2016. Link your sign-up post from last year by going to the B101 Archive located in Thread Cryonics underneath Closed Forums.
  • If your timezone and hours of availability do not match up with the correct thread, your post will be deleted. Please PM a B101 mod if you are unsure about which thread to post in.
  • You may only post in ONE of the signup threads. Delete your post if you change your mind about signing up for something.

• NEW: You must have battled competitively for a decent amount in at least ONE of the Smogon tiers or Battle Spot / VGC to sign up. Playing 10 or so matches on the PS! ladder is not substantial enough, ~70 or so is more reasonable. This experience does not need to be for the format you sign-up for; this is just to weed out people who have never played competitively that can improve themselves simply by using resources already available to them without needing a tutor to hold their hand.
Any iteration of Ubers/OU/UU/RU/NU/PU/DOU/LC from any of the past generations.
Any iteration of Battle Spot / VGC formats.

Here is the signup template, and an example sign-up post.

Username:
PO/PS! Username:
Your timezone:
Usual Hours of Availability:
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences):
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?:
Do you understand how the blacklist works?:
example said:
Username: plus
PS! Username: youngme7o
Your timezone: EST (GMT -5)
Usual Hours of Availability: weekdays 8 PM - 12 AM, weekends 12 PM - 12 AM
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I started playing competitively in 2007 and decided to join Smogon to get better. Since then, I've played in tournaments like WCOP 2009 and SPL 1 way back in the day. Admittedly I've had less time to burn on Pokemon since then, but I still have fair knowledge in OU / UU / NU for all generations from DPP onwards.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Yes
Do you understand how the blacklist works?: Yes
The Blacklist (aka Battling 101 Detention)
You will be banned from signing up in the future if:
  • You show poor activity over a course of a month (banned for 6 months, infracted for 1 point)
  • You decide during the tutoring round that you do not wish to be tutored anymore, or you mistakenly sign up for a tier you thought was something else, and no longer wish to be tutored. This is most common when selecting Smogon Doubles / VGC, THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING (banned for 6 months)
  • You show a lack of enthusiasm or you're consistently distracted by other things (banned for 3 months)
  • You fail to complete the tutor evaluation form that we will send out during the last week of the round(banned for 6 months, infracted for 1 point)
  • You are annoying to deal with. This will vary from tutor to tutor. Some tutors don't like it when you talk back, argue with them, whine about hax, whine about sucking at Pokemon, or any version of the 'woe is me' attitude. Tutors get pissed at different things, so if they complain to us that you are exhibiting poor behavior, expect to be on the blacklist.(banned for 3-6 months)
Repeated offense of any of the situations above can potentially mean a year ban. If you have been on the blacklist for three different instances, you will be EXPELLED from Battling 101 (perma-ban from signing up).

Last edited:

yogi

I did not succumb...
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
assigned to qsns

Username
: Yogibears
PO/PS! Username: Yogibears
Your timezone: Gmt (+1)
Usual Hours of Availability: Most nights and weekends
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences):
I'm an NU tutor and Driver who's been playing singles for a while now and have a decent grip of most singles formats (bar LC), but I have absolutely no clue how doubles plays, as I know it's way different to singles. Just wanted to give a new tier a try as for Sun and Moon I want to expand my knowledge of different metagames so I can both play and help others with them. I've also played the most matches on the NU ladder (1752)

qsns agreed to tutor me

Last edited by a moderator:
assigned to Matame

Username
: NaCl
PO/PS! Username: NaCl
Your timezone: GMT+1
Usual Hours of Availability: from 9 pm to midnight almost everyday bar saturday, sometimes I can also in the afternoons
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I've been playing competitive Pokémon since 2012, since the end of BW1. I played mostly on my own national enviroment, I started playing on smogon in early 2015 and I partecipated in some of its competitions, mainly in ORAS OU and RU. With the release of SuMo I started playing Doubles OU just for fun and I find it really enjoyable, and I wanted to understand better the basis of Doubles OU (mostly about teambuilding).
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: yes
Do you understand how the blacklist works?: yes

sam-testings

What a beautiful face, I have found in this place
assigned to shaian

Username
: Sam-testings
PO/PS! Username: Sam-testings
Your timezone: Gmt -8 (PST)
Usual Hours of Availability: Most nights and weekends
I'm a LC player that has dabbled in Doubles for quite a bit in ORAS. I know how most doubles mechanics work as well, and have played in several Doubles tournaments where I usually end up activitying out of. Just wanted to get better at a tier that I enjoy playing a lot.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Yes (highly prefer discord over skype tho)

assigned to Checkmater

Username
: Zimzy
PO/PS! Username: no forgiveness
Your timezone: CST (GMT -6)
Usual Hours of Availability: 3 PM - 11 PM Monday-Friday, All day weekends
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I've been playing competitive Pokemon since mid Gen 6 (2015), mainly as a singles player. I got into doubles towards the end of Gen 6, around the time of the Azumarill suspect test, where I was able to get reqs. I've been playing a bit of DOU in Gen 7, and I find it to be a really enjoyable tier that I'd love to partake in.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Yes (prefer skype over discord but either one works)

assigned to Laga

Username:
Dunga
PO/PS! Username: Uber Dunga
Your Timezone: PAC (GMT -7)
Usual Hours of Availability: Wednesday 4 PM- 6:30 PM, All Day Weekends
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I started playing comp. Pokemon at the beginning of 2016 with VGC and got into DOU around the time of the latest Jirachi suspect, and have participated in all suspects since and gotten reqs since. I want to learn more about the meta rn because since last season i haven't been able to catch on. I'd like to learn more about team building and what plays to make when.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Yes I have a discord

Assigned to finally

Username
: PsVoltage
PO/PS! Username: Voltage
Your timezone: GMT -6 cst
After 4 pm usually, at the end of the week
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I have been playing competitive Pokemon since bw2 in September 2012. I'm mostly a singles player, but I also have alot of experience with vgc (2013, 14-15, and this season I've played dou in the past with sample teams but I'd like to learn the ins and outs to be self sufficient.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Yes both
Do you understand how the blacklist works?: YES

feen

control
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Assigned to Memoric

Username
: Arifeen
PO/PS! Username: Arifeen
Your timezone: GMT +6
Usual Hours of Availability: Nights usually, afternoons also work
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): RU main. Can play somewhat decently in all tiers except Doubles. Looking to not play like Kreme
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Discord preferred
Do you understand how the blacklist works?: ya

Assigned to qsns

Username
: nadando
PO/PS! Username: nadando
Your timezone: GMT -6
Usual Hours of Availability: Free most of weekends, typically 10 AM - 12 PM and 7 PM - 10 PM at least.
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): Been playing VGC since 2014 and DOU since last year. I have decent metagame knowledge but want to improve my teambuilding and playing. I've been having difficulties adapting to this new meta so I thought this program would be a nice way to get help.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Either, but strongly prefer Discord.
Do you understand how the blacklist works?: Yes.

Username: NinjaBryden
PS! Username: NinjaBryden
Your timezone: Central Time
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I have started off during the X and Y OU meta *RIP Greninja* playing primarily in singles. I felt like I did pretty good for a beginner and I recently started getting back into the games again. I played with my cousin a decent amount in X and Y and now we are switching over to doubles to play according to VGC rules. I just want to get into the basics of doubles so I can have a good idea of what to expect when building teams in this format. Singles was pretty fun, but I know doubles is better if you know what you're doing.

Assigned to Matame

Username
: Mr. Highways
PO/PS! Username: Highways
Your timezone: -3
Usual Hours of Availability: Evenings
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I'm an UUer, and I'm playing competitive for more or less three years. I'm interested in Doubles OU because it's looking super fun right now.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Yup
Do you understand how the blacklist works?: Yup

Reactions: Sun

Conni

katharsis
assigned to Matame

Username:
Conni
PO/PS! Username: Conni
Your timezone: GMT + 1
9am to 2pm on weekdays, 4am to 2pm on weekends
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I usually main LC and have started playing it a few months ago, I don't really have that much of a huge influence on the forums but I make some posts and I write some analyses but I'm not that good either, just so and so on a moderate level. I haven't really played a lot of Doubles OU, although I have tried some sample teams and such, and doubles battles in the cartridge games are fun and from the doubles ou matches I seen in SPL look really fun and I think it would be a nice experience to be able to play a fun looking metagame and also improving my competitive play overall.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Unfortunately only Discord because Skype hates me

assigned to shaian

Username
: Misaka Mikoto
PO/PS! Username: Misaka Mikoto
Your timezone: -6
Usual Hours of Availability: Weekdays late afternoon and nighttime / Weekends basically free
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): Monotype and Battlespot main. Sometimes play PU and NU as well. Doubles have been on my mind for quite a long time. I've always been in the room and not usually participating there. I started a few weeks ago joining room tours, laddering, and browsing a little on the forums to get into the community.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Discord better
Do you understand how the blacklist works?: Yah

Toxigen

get numb to it
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
DPL Champion
assigned to Matame

Username
: toxigen734
PO/PS! Username: toxigen734
Usual Hours of Availability: from 9 pm to basically 1 am or so
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I started to play competitively in summer 2014 and joined smogon in 2015. Played the ou tier for about a year then switched to the vgc and "mained" it. I've played oras doubles ou for a little bit then stopped for irl reasons, but a tier i'm definitely interested to learn. I have an ok knowledge of the game and mechanics, but my teambuilding as always been average and i've been struggling with this new gen as of now.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: discord preferred
Do you understand how the blacklist works?: yes

assigned to Matame

Username
: KrazyCake
PO/PS! Username: KrazyCake
Your timezone: GMT
Usual Hours of Availability: 7-11pm
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I play CAP most of the time, and I feel like I'm fairly good at it. I've also played OU quite a bit but I'm not that good. Other metas I've dabbled in include: UU, VGC2017, LC and Monotype. As a man who's only played singles Doubles OU has always looked cool to me and I've always wanted to learn how to play it, I've tried to teach myself before with very little success.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Discord's the truth. Skype is a lie.

assigned to Matame

Username
: silverwhiteblue
PO/PS! Username: silverwhiteblue
Your timezone: GMT+2
Usual Hours of Availability: usuall from my 3pm-12am . aka afternoons and evenings on weekdays, most of the weekend
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): Not much to say since whoever is reading this probably recognizes me as a regular in the doubles ou room. Im mostly signing up here to catch up on gen 7 as i have not been too active when it came out, and now all i here is tapu this and tapu that. So basically just asking for a bit of an intro to the new gen. Teambuilding would be appreciated since what i want implied metaknowledge and teambuilding process.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: either is fine
Do you understand how the blacklist works?: yep

Mikaav

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
assigned to SamVGC

Username
: Mikaav
PO/PS! Username: Mikaav
Your timezone: GMT +5.5
Usual Hours of Availability: my evenings
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I have been playing this for like 3 years now. I have played lc and ubers in which im ok. I have tried doubles in tours using samples team and would like to know more about it
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: both
Do you understand how the blacklist works?:y

assigned to Matame

Username
: MiyoKa
PO/PS! Username: MiyoKa
Your timezone: gmt +1
Usual Hours of Availability: evenings/ afternons
Regular user on showdown, member of smogon since 2015. Got a good base in competitive playing, knowledge in ORAS metas and also SunMoon metas. I pretty much can play every tier so I don't think tutoring me will be a big deal. (cp'd from my lc one)
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: both, discord prefered
Do you understand how the blacklist works?: y

Matame agreed to tutor me

assigned to shaian

Username
: Flamestar
PO/PS! Username: ItsYaBoi1337
Your timezone: PST
Usual Hours of Availability: Weekdays: Usually Afternoons (3PM-5PM), Evenings (6PM-7PM) Weekends: (7AM-12PM) (1PM-5PM) (7PM-9PM)
I have been on Smogon for 5 months now, and I truly enjoy it. My friend gave me a kickstart in competitive battling, and I happened to stumble upon Smogon. It has taught me a lot, and because of that I have been very ambitious to win lots of things, and I love to do tournaments, try out new tiers, including DOU.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: both, Discord much preferred

3d

継続は力なり
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
World Defender
assigned to MajorBowman

Username
: Amoonguss
PO/PS! Username: 3d
Your timezone: EST
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences):I
've been on Smogon for like a year now and i like to think im decent at ou. dou always seemed fun but i didnt really like getting into new metas on my own. i think talking to a tutor would really help me get accustomed to the meta and i would really appreciate it.
Usual Hours of Availability: Weekdays: Weekdays 3-6pm Weekends 7-3am
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: discord
Understand Blacklist: yea

requesting MajorBowman

assigned to Matame

Username
: MeButYou82
PO/PS! Username: MeButYou82
Usual Hours of Availability: 12-10pm weekends, 5-10pm weekdays.
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I've been playing LC a long time and I'm an OK player. I have no experience in any other tier, aside from a bit in Ubers. I know literally nothing about doubles lol
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Discord

Assigned to qsns

Username
: ItsYaBoi1337
PO/PS! Username: ItsYaBoi1337
Your timezone: MDT
Usual Hours of Availability: Weekdays: Usually Afternoons (3PM-5PM), Evenings (6PM-7PM) Weekends: (7AM-12PM) (1PM-5PM) (7PM-9PM)
Always available 6AM-9AM
I have been on Smogon for 5 months now, and I truly enjoy it. My friend gave me a kickstart in competitive battling, and I happened to stumble upon Smogon. It has taught me a lot, and because of that I have been very ambitious to win lots of things, and even though I've been tutored in this tier before, I need to learn more for the next DOU tour.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Discord

assigned to qsns

Username
: K Legacy
PO/PS! Username: K Legacy
Your timezone: CST (GMT -6)
Usual Hours of Availability: College schedule isn't final but all day weekends and at least 6 hours a day during weekdays.
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I started playing competitively in XY and am a Ubers main competent in every gen. I took a hiatus towards the end of ORAS and got back into Pokemon about 4 months ago. I played Doubles OU back in XY/ORAS but haven't touched the tier in SUMO so I need help getting back into it.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: I can use both but Discord is heavily preferred.
Do you understand how the blacklist works?: ye

assigned to shaian

Username:
Samu the noob
PS! Name: Samu_PA
Timezone: GMT -4
Usual Hours Of Availability: 13:00 to 16:00 and the nigth 22:00
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I started to play in ORAS, I'm Ubers main player and recently started playning Doubles.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype ?: I can use Discord.

Drud

is a Tutor Alumnus
PUPL Champion
Assigned to Matame

Username:
Drud
PS! Name: wild drud
Timezone: GMT +2
Usual Hours Of Availability: basically almost always on the weekends and after 3pm every week day
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I've been playing competitive since shoddy (even though i was a bit of a casual until 2015/2016), i mainly play old gens and LC but i've stumbled on doubles since the latest doubles suspect and i enjoyed it a lot
but wasn't quite good enough to get reqs, i do want to improve at it as it seems like an enjoyable tier
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype ?: I can use Discord
Do you understand how the blacklist works?: I do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)