move 2: Extreme Speed
move 3: Hidden Power Grass
move 4: Morning Sun
item: Life Orb
ability: Intimidate
nature: Naughty
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe

Why this set deserves to be on-site:
-Currently no Mixed Set for Arcanine on site, which I find a bit silly seeing he has 110/100 offenses.
-Very hard to come in on, almost every Pokemon in the tier is OHKOed/2HKOed.

Additional Comments:
-Morning Sun is preferred since Stealth Rock, Life Orb, and Flare Blitz recoil damage pile up.
-Thunder Fang can be used to possibly 2HKO Milotic though.
-Flash Fire is an option for extremely powerful Flare Blitz but Intimidate is the better overall ability, giving it an easier time switching in.

Teammates and Counters:
-Venusaur is a good partner to take the Surf aimed at Arcanine and threaten Milotic switch ins.
-Donphan can provide spin support and also take on specially defensive Regirock.
-Milotic can easily take any attack Arcanine can throw unless you opt for Thunder Fang.
-Specially defensive Regirock can come in on a Flare Blitz with his massive defense and cripple Arcanine with Thunder-Wave.

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah this has been among the most effective Arcanine sets for a while yet. I think much of Arcanine's analysis is in need of an update - a lot of the current analysis is from when I wrote it in April last year.

I wouldn't slash in Thunder Fang imo, you're only managing 42.13 - 49.75% against a Calm Milotic, which is only a 25% chance to 2HKO with SR and Lefties. While this sounds quite appealing, you will fail completely against Bold Milotic, doing only 38.08 - 45.18%, and Morning Sun is an excellent move for any Arcanine set to make the most of Intimidate and its bulk, and to heal off SR damage, LO and Flare Blitz recoil.

Yea don't slash thunder fang it's low base power makes it rather uneffective and Arcanines best Friends are Morning Sun and Flare Blitz.
I just have this feeling that Flash Fire should be slashed, it gives a free switch in on a fire attack, this would be great against stall, come in on WOW and rip their whole team apart with a Double STAB Flare Blitz Heal when needed with Morning Sun. I see that it is in extra comments but Double STAB, yes please. Keep Intimidate as the first option though Arcanine can make great use of the Ability.

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You're going to want to list the perks for this set, which is surprise smacking typical switch-ins outside of Milotic like Rhyperior and Omastar -- both are 2HKOes by the combination of Flare Blitz and Hidden Power Grass. With Rock-type removed, Pokemon like Swellow and even LO Dodrio can sweep sufficiently easier now. With most players relying on Milotic for their second defensive backbone against these type of threats, Swellow and Dodrio can beat or weaken Milotic for Arcanine to sweep for itself.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I like this set, but I can't see why we can't just slash HP Grass onto Arcanine's current set that Heysup's writing.

Yeah this has been among the most effective Arcanine sets for a while yet. I think much of Arcanine's analysis is in need of an update - a lot of the current analysis is from when I wrote it in April last year.

I wouldn't slash in Thunder Fang imo, you're only managing 42.13 - 49.75% against a Calm Milotic, which is only a 25% chance to 2HKO with SR and Lefties. While this sounds quite appealing, you will fail completely against Bold Milotic, doing only 38.08 - 45.18%, and Morning Sun is an excellent move for any Arcanine set to make the most of Intimidate and its bulk, and to heal off SR damage, LO and Flare Blitz recoil.
Alright, ill de-slash Thunder Fang and just leave Morning Sun, because as you said it fails to 2HKO Milotic (The only use I can see for it other then Moltres...) most of the time, and Morning Sun lets it stay in the game longer.

You're going to want to list the perks for this set, which is surprise smacking typical switch-ins outside of Milotic like Rhyperior and Omastar -- both are 2HKOes by the combination of Flare Blitz and Hidden Power Grass. With Rock-type removed, Pokemon like Swellow and even LO Dodrio can sweep sufficiently easier now. With most players relying on Milotic for their second defensive backbone against these type of threats, Swellow and Dodrio can beat or weaken Milotic for Arcanine to sweep for itself.
Will do.

I like this set, but I can't see why we can't just slash HP Grass onto Arcanine's current set that Heysup's writing.
This Arcanine is completely different then the standard Arcanine though. It runs different Nature/EV Spread/Moveset. Instead of the standard bulky Arcanine this Arcanine's job is breaking down some of its counters like Rhyperior/Slowbro/Omastar/Donphan, something which the standard Arcanine has to rely on status like Toxic and Burn.

Uh heysups set is max attack and speed with life orb... so this is the same but with hp grass > t fang. i agree with shrang on just slashing this with hp grass

yeah gonna reject this cause its basically the same set lol

you're more than welcome to convince heysup to give hp grass a mention in his set (next to or over thunder fang is the most likely choice)

Arcanine (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 60 Atk/252 Spd/196 SAtk
Naughty nature (+Atk, -SDef)
- Fire Blast
- Flare Blitz
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Extremespeed
---

Ran that in UU way back when. Don't know if it is still viable tho probably have to tweak the EV spread a bit. Fire Blast really is the main move of the set, Fare Blitz is really just for special walls.

[SET]
name: MixCanine
move 1: Flare Blitz
move 2: Extreme Speed
move 3: Hidden Power Grass
ability: Intimidate
nature: Naughty

[SET]
name: Physical Life Orb
move 1: Flare Blitz
move 2: Thunder Fang / Hidden Power Grass
move 3: ExtremeSpeed
ability: Flash Fire / Intimidate
nature: Adamant / Jolly

Same / slightly worse set than the one I'm working on. I don't approve.

P.S. HP Grass is mentioned.

Yeah sry Jubs I was gonna say the same thing. :(

Slashing HP Grass or mentioning it in AC seems good enough.

Not to mention Arcanines number one counter Milotic still shits on K9 since HP Grass does like nothing to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)