(Archive) Small Objective Changes Thread

shadowbone66

Banned deucer.
I like the newly posted sets. However, I see a small fault with Machamp's. Why would one need 252 Attack EVs with no physical moves? It's too much work...one should be happy enough with 252 already in Sp. Attack and Speed.

Also, I recommend that Nasty Plot be placed as an option alongside Fire Blast. All you need is one (or two) turns for setup, (one to use Nasty Plot, the other to use Foresight if needed) and an entire team can be swept. I agree, this set is underrated. I think I'll try it out in 5th gen, to see if it gets as good of results there.

EDIT: Wow...this set wrecks havoc. Except I get a glitch on the PO sever on occasion, because whenever I use Foresight or Nasty Plot, it won't let me use anything else. Weird. However, we all know stat changes are retained upon switching out, so I just left some death fodder for him to switch back in. This glitch needs attention, though.

The new updated analyses are strange. There is only one set for Machamp and Empoleon, and Mamoswine's is terribly written. Just pointing it out.

Sloof lirpa...

That analysis is both a work of art and a masterpiece of the English language. It will not be taken down, not in a million years, and not if you paid me $100... I might accept $200, though.
Seconded. The original sets will probably be up tomorrow, so chill. These are hilarious, I love all of the grammatical errors and such in the SpecsChamp set. Keep up the great work, C+C!

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/empoleon

This isn't necessarily a "do it now" request considering that Pimpoleon does what he wants, when he wants. But I feel like a disclaimer might be necessary to forewarn browsers of the utter sexyness which Pimpoleon brings to the table, I mean, my eyes were seared with joy when I first saw it.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/empoleon

This isn't necessarily a "do it now" request considering that Pimpoleon does what he wants, when he wants. But I feel like a disclaimer might be necessary to forewarn browsers of the utter sexyness which Pimpoleon brings to the table, I mean, my eyes were seared with joy when I first saw it.
Im with cco on this. Also I think his ev spread should 252 HP (As in 252 Hoes Pimped) / 252 Speed (Because thats what ya boy is dealin on the side) / 4 Attack (Because homeslice is all-4-Attackin any suckas who wanna step).

Thats whats up.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/yanma

In the overview section

"Yanma does have its fair share of drawbacks despite these many advantages, however, mainly its paper-thin defenses and relatively shallow movepool." However should be removed as it makes no sense in that sentence.

On the "Attacking Lead" set

"Air Slash also has a 30% flinch chance, which can come in handy once in a while." Perhaps it's just me but it seems like "flinch chance" reads awkwardly if not being grammatically unsound altogether. If a change is to be implemented "a 30% chance to flinch" or "30% flinch rate" seem appropriate.

"Compoundeyes is very useful, increasing the accuracy of Hypnosis and to a lesser extent, Air Slash". Technically speaking this is incorrect. After Compoundeyes the accuracy of hypnosis increases by 18% whereas Air Slash only increases by 5% thus becoming 100% accurate. That is unless you figure that Air Slashs 95% accuracy does not get capped at 100% after the boost, thus giving it 128.5% accuracy. In which case the line "Compoundeyes boosts Hypnosis's accuracy from 60% to 78%, while Air Slash becomes 100% accurate." should reflect the uncapped accuracy rating (i.e. 128%).

"Focus Sash protects Yanma from being OHKOed, so you needn't worry about Yanma's well being before it can successfully sleep the opposing lead." Well being should have a dash between the two words, well-being.

In the "Checks and Counters" section

The last line reads "Any Pokemon that can take a hit from Yanma and strike back with a powerful STAB move will usually be able to defeat it once sleep clause has been activated, however." However should be removed as it makes no sense as the line before it says nothing to the contrary of this.

Pardon if some of if not all of these corrections are too minimal to be considered for correction. Just some things I noted.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/yanma

In the overview section

"Yanma does have its fair share of drawbacks despite these many advantages, however, mainly its paper-thin defenses and relatively shallow movepool." However should be removed as it makes no sense in that sentence.

Fixed

On the "Attacking Lead" set

"Air Slash also has a 30% flinch chance, which can come in handy once in a while." Perhaps it's just me but it seems like "flinch chance" reads awkwardly if not being grammatically unsound altogether. If a change is to be implemented "a 30% chance to flinch" or "30% flinch rate" seem appropriate.

Everything there is correct so I left it. You can say it however you want.

"Compoundeyes is very useful, increasing the accuracy of Hypnosis and to a lesser extent, Air Slash". Technically speaking this is incorrect. After Compoundeyes the accuracy of hypnosis increases by 18% whereas Air Slash only increases by 5% thus becoming 100% accurate. That is unless you figure that Air Slashs 95% accuracy does not get capped at 100% after the boost, thus giving it 128.5% accuracy. In which case the line "Compoundeyes boosts Hypnosis's accuracy from 60% to 78%, while Air Slash becomes 100% accurate." should reflect the uncapped accuracy rating (i.e. 128%).

Fixed the wording of those sentences.

"Focus Sash protects Yanma from being OHKOed, so you needn't worry about Yanma's well being before it can successfully sleep the opposing lead." Well being should have a dash between the two words, well-being.

Fixed, nice catch btw

In the "Checks and Counters" section

The last line reads "Any Pokemon that can take a hit from Yanma and strike back with a powerful STAB move will usually be able to defeat it once sleep clause has been activated, however." However should be removed as it makes no sense as the line before it says nothing to the contrary of this.

Fixed

Pardon if some of if not all of these corrections are too minimal to be considered for correction. Just some things I noted.
Thanks for bringing these up!

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/zangoose

In the overview

"...there is very little in UU who can stop him from doing what he was designed to do: cause a lot of damage." Line is grammatically unsound. Should read either "there is very little in UU THAT can stop him from..." or "there ARE VERY FEW POKEMON in UU that can stop him from..".

In the Swords Dance set

First paragraph "Unfortunately, though, they have for the most part failed to make any significant impact on the metagame." Comma splice after unfortunately. Line should read "Unfortunately though, they have for the most part failed to make any significant impact on the metagame."

Last line "In the case of Hitmontop, a Spiritomb of your own will hinder your opponent, being immune to Fighting-type moves and Rapid Spin." Reads rather awkwardly in my opinion. Perhaps should be written as "In the case of Hitmontop, being immune to Fighting-type moves and Rapid Spin, a Spiritomb of your own will hinder your opponent." or "In the case of Hitmontop, a Spiritomb of your own will hinder your opponent, AS HE IS immune to Fighting-type moves and Rapid Spin."

In Other Options

First paragraph "Choice items are useful tools for Zangoose to have, as it alleviates concerns about either power or Speed in exchange for being locked into one move;" is grammatically incorrect. The line should read "Choice items are useful tools for Zangoose to have, as THEY ALLEVIATE concerns about either power or Speed in exchange for being locked into one move;"

http://www.smogon.com/rs/pokemon/zangoose

In the Swords Dancer Set

"The STAB on Frustration makes it a powerful move to sweep with, Shadow Ball hits any Ghosts that try and block your sweep, and the last move can end Pokémon that try to abuse Endure + Salac Berry (as well seriously hurt Ninjask) by using Quick Attack, or hit Rocks and Steels with Brick Break or Hidden Power Ground." A bit of a run on sentence that reads rather strangely as well containing a few grammatical errors. Perhaps it should be written as something like "The STAB on Frustration makes it a powerful move to sweep with. Shadow Ball hits any Ghosts that will attempt to block your sweep. Quick attack can be used in the last slot to put a dent in Ninjask or KO any Endure + Salac Berry users. Brick Break and Hidden Power Ground are also viable options should you fear being walled by Rock or Steel types."

In the Flailer Set

First Paragraph, first line reads "Fire Blast will kill Skarmory in 2-3 hits, provided it hits, making it do far more than Focus Punch." but doesn't say what it will do more than. Should read "Fire Blast will kill Skarmory in 2-3 hits, provided it hits, making it do far more DAMAGE than Focus Punch."

First Paragraph, third line reads "Swords Dance can be used to make Zangoose's Flail even more powerful, as Zangoose's Flail at 1 HP is the same power as Focus Punch on Skarmory, anyway." The comma after Skarmory is unnecessary. Line should read "...is the same power as Focus Punch on Skarmory anyway."

First Paragraph, fourth line reads "Shadow Ball is to hit Ghosts." Seems like an incomplete sentence but that's probably just me being a grammar Nazi. Maybe write as "Shadow Ball allows Zangoose to hit Ghosts."

Other Options

Last line reads "It could kill Skarmory in the same way the Taunt set does, however, while still allowing you to do stuff like Focus Punch Tyranitar on the switch." Grammatically unsound for several reasons. Can be rewritten as "It can kill Skarmory the same way the Taunt set does while still allowing you to do stuff like Focus Punch Tyranitar on the switch."

In the EVs Section

Last line "Rest goes in Attack, or maybe a tad of HP for Countering Zangoose." Sounds sloppy and is a bit misleading (could be construed as the extra HP is for countering other Zangoose). Alleviated by writing as "The remaining EVs can go into either Attack or HP if you are using the Counter set."

In the Counters Section

Second line reads "Tyranitar can take a Swords Danced Hidden Power Ground, but not a boosted Brick Break, and hurts back (though may not KO usually)." Contains a comma splice, grammatical error and sounds sloppy overall. Possibly rewrite as "Although fearful of a boosted Brick Break, Tyranitar can survive a Swords Danced Hidden Power Ground and strike back for respectable damage.

Near bottom line "Metagross shrugs off anything, even Hidden Power Ground doesn't OHKO it, while Meteor Mash will usually KO Zangoose. Rhydon does the same except it's also weak to Brick Break. Golem to a lesser extent, it might not OHKO you with Earthquake." Although the sentence concerning Metagross is fine the line following it implies that Rhydon is capable of Meteor Mashing Zangoose. While the last line concerning Golem is grammatically unsound among other things. Consider rewriting the last two statements as "Without a Fighting type attack Rhydon and Golem can switch in on Zangoose with impunity and threaten him with their STAB attacks."

Pardon me if I'm being too "thorough" with some of these corrections. I know I over analyze at times. :3

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/mamoswine

On the Mamoswine Ubers Lead Analysis,

Tyranitar is a great teammate; after removing Deoxys-A's and Rayquaza's Focus Sash with one of Mamoswine's moves, Tyranitar can switch into the incoming ExtremeSpeed to finish them off with sandstorm's residual damage whilst shrugging off ExtremeSpeed.

Rayquaza's air lock prevents sand stream from finishing it off, not to mention using ExtremeSpeed twice in the same sentence is a little icky. It could potentially read, 'Tyranitar can switch into the incoming ExtremeSpeed to finish Deoxys-A off with sandstorm's residual damage whilst shrugging off the hit.'

Furthermore, in the following sentence

'Abomasnow can activate Mamoswine's Snow Cloak ability whilst finishing off Deoxys-A's and Rayquaza's Focus Sash thanks to hail, but it can't take ExtremeSpeed nearly as well as Tyranitar, and usually can't just be throw onto a team without support.'

Should be thrown.

In the Other Options Section, under Ubers in Mamoswine's analysis, Endeavor is spelled "Endeavour". While this technically isn't wrong, it should be changed for consistency's sake.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)