Ask a simple question, get a simple answer (CAP Edition) - Mark II (READ THE OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
There should be a good link in the EnCAPlopedia right here
Which one would that be, then? It's not the one which says 'battle server,' or the one which says 'connecting to Doug's server.' They both lead to the pages that I'd already mentioned.

If you actually checked a link to the 'CAP Sprite Update' zip file mentioned in the connection guide, and found that it worked, then please be more specific about which one it was.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
When picking moves for CAP what is the standard for moves that'd be logical on a pokemon but have no competitive application? Do we include Tackle/Cut/Rock Smash/etc in our movepool or do we only add competitive and semi-competitive moves.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
You're perfectly welcome to throw bullshit moves on your CAP - some are required e.g. Toxic on a Syclant, while others can have flavor purpose such as Tackle Tomohawk, and some just make sense like Rock Blast Stratagem on the early levels. Just make sure not to overdo it - the move pools are, after all, for a competitive purpose and treat them as such.

When picking moves for CAP what is the standard for moves that'd be logical on a pokemon but have no competitive application? Do we include Tackle/Cut/Rock Smash/etc in our movepool or do we only add competitive and semi-competitive moves.
This is actually encouraged by the event guidelines. If you look here, you'll see that each CaP has a total move limit, and also a competitive move limit. Only about half the movepool is allowed to be made up of top-tier moves.

The idea is that we'll end up making movepools which more closely resemble an in-game pokemon, have more room for 'flavour' (which is what we call 'moves that'd be logical'), and are more balanced in battle.

Hey, I'm a long time competitive battler but a recent CAP lurker. What's a good way to get more involved in the CAP community? Should I just start posting? I understand the process and rules and everything.

Hey, I'm a long time competitive battler but a recent CAP lurker. What's a good way to get more involved in the CAP community? Should I just start posting? I understand the process and rules and everything.
Yeah, you can pretty much start posting to participate. Be sure to follow the guidelines that the Topic Leader (that's Rising_Dusk for this CAP) proposes for each thread while creating thoughtful posts/submissions.

Yeah, you can pretty much start posting to participate. Be sure to follow the guidelines that the Topic Leader (that's Rising_Dusk for this CAP) proposes for each thread while creating thoughtful posts/submissions.
Ok thanks!

One more question (this is to anybody who's good with the technical stuff):
I'm trying to download the CAP Server for Mac OS X, and every time i click on the mediafire link, the page sits and loads for a minute or two, then says there was a problem loading the page in an error message. I have tried this on both of my available web browsers (Safari and Firefox) and get the same results. Anybody have any ideas?

V4Victini

再起不能
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnus
Can the name of a currently existing move be changed but have the same effect in order to support the CAP's design?

AL's correct, there is no alteration of existing moves allowed.

However, CAP is permitted with the new simulator, Pokemon Showdown!, to make new moves and abilities based on those real moves and abilities. This must be specifically allowed by the TL of the current CAP, however, and is never allowed without absolute justification. Suggestions for that sort of thing are never to be taken lightly.

V4Victini

再起不能
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnus
AL's correct, there is no alteration of existing moves allowed.

However, CAP is permitted with the new simulator, Pokemon Showdown!, to make new moves and abilities based on those real moves and abilities. This must be specifically allowed by the TL of the current CAP, however, and is never allowed without absolute justification. Suggestions for that sort of thing are never to be taken lightly.
Alright thanks

Is there any rule about not changing bolded votes once cast? I totally forgot to include CyzirVisheen's design in my art poll vote, and I'm pretty fond of it.

@Rising Dusk:
*I see you don't read your pms*
Please explain to me the reason why my design wasn't even mentioned in the art poll? What deemed it unacceptable for CAP 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)