Ask a simple question, get a simple answer (CAP Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any chance of me being allowed to use the created Pokémon in my game? The link to the game's thread on PokéCommunity is in my signature.

Okay, this has been bugging me for a long while now. I haven't been able to find the answer to this question yet, so i figured I'd just ask here. Anyway:

How do you pronounce "Syclant"?

I've come up with "Sigh - clant", "Psyche - lant", "Cycle - ant", "Sick - lant", and "Sickle - ant" as possibilities. I'd really like to be able to say it right, and as our first CAP I think it deserves the honor of being able to be pronounced correctly.

I've come up with "Sigh - clant", "Psyche - lant", "Cycle - ant", "Sick - lant", and "Sickle - ant" as possibilities. I'd really like to be able to say it right, and as our first CAP I think it deserves the honor of being able to be pronounced correctly.
Good question. I've been pronouncing it as Sigh-clant, but I could see it being Sickle-ant. Based on art, I'm guessing that's how the name was chosen (an ant with sickles), but not sure if that's how it's pronounced.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Wichu, I dont see why not and think it would be a good idea, though maybe someone else has an objection?

I pronounce it Sigh - clant, I dont think there is a best way to pronounce it, but i can see that Sickle - ant or Sik - lant would probably fit the original idea.
I may have a look at the old polls to see who made the name.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Is there any chance of me being allowed to use the created Pokémon in my game? The link to the game's thread on PokéCommunity is in my signature.
Your Amethyst project looks very promising. I will discuss your request with other members of the Smogon staff and I will get back to you personally regarding use of CAP pokemon in your project.

DougJustDoug

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Okay, this has been bugging me for a long while now. I haven't been able to find the answer to this question yet, so i figured I'd just ask here. Anyway:

IIRC, at the time the name was chosen, the proper pronunciation was "Sickle-ANT". Someone might want to dig through the name polls to be sure.

That's a shame, I had gotten used to 'Sigh-clant'! I think it's more intuitive to pronounce it that way as 'Scy' is almost always pronounced 'sigh', most notably in the context of Scyther of course.

So on to my quick questions:

1. Has anyone else found the wording of Scylant's Mountaineer Ability to be misleading? I read it as meaning that Scylant is immune to direct damage from rock attacks during the 1st turn it is in play. As a result I took a Rampardos bash full in the face instead of just using brick break! What a warstory :-)

2. Scylants Dex Entries 2 and 3 contradict one another don't they? One mentions that Scylant live alone while the other mentions a Scylant colony! Which is it to be? You can't be a solitary Scylant when you love ganging up on Delibirds!

DougJustDoug

That's a shame, I had gotten used to 'Sigh-clant'! I think it's more intuitive to pronounce it that way as 'Scy' is almost always pronounced 'sigh', most notably in the context of Scyther of course.

So on to my quick questions:

1. Has anyone else found the wording of Scylant's Mountaineer Ability to be misleading? I read it as meaning that Scylant is immune to direct damage from rock attacks during the 1st turn it is in play. As a result I took a Rampardos bash full in the face instead of just using brick break! What a warstory :-)

2. Scylants Dex Entries 2 and 3 contradict one another don't they? One mentions that Scylant live alone while the other mentions a Scylant colony! Which is it to be? You can't be a solitary Scylant when you love ganging up on Delibirds!
FYI - It's not spelled "Scylant" -- it's "Syclant". You keep switching the "Y" and the "C". Maybe that's why you keep mispronouncing it.

BTW, even though I know the proper pronunciation -- I still say "Sigh-clant". Actually, I never say it, since I never verbally speak about Pokemon with anyone. But that's how I pronounce it in my head. I mispronounce lots of Pokemon. I butcher Suicune and Kyogre, even though I've heard them pronounced in the anime.

BTW, even though I know the proper pronunciation -- I still say "Sigh-clant". Actually, I never say it, since I never verbally speak about Pokemon with anyone.
Yes, I suppose by that logic you can "say" it however the hell you want, just as long as you spell it right. I'm favoring the pronunciation of "Psyche-lant" myself.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
I know the "true" definition, but I pronounce it like everyone else as well.

Edit: mean pronunciation lol

Why is it so that aldaron's in a coma all the time?

Seriously now, Why does hal say 200 char limit when he enforces 250, and wasen't it bumped up to 300-500?

DougJustDoug

The ability description doesn't say anything about the first turn.
Mountaineer: This pokemon takes no indirect or direct damage from Rock type attacks upon switching in.
Pokemon ability descriptions are notoriously vague. An ability like this can't be described in a sentence or two. But we tried.

This was mentioned during dex entry voting. Unfortunately, there was no way to prevent it. We voted on a slate of dex entries and took the top vote-getters. The fact that they are somewhat contradictory is a by-product of the process.

Why is it so that aldaron's in a coma all the time?
I prefer to think of it as a "deep meditative state".

Seriously now, Why does hal say 200 char limit when he enforces 250, and wasn't it bumped up to 300-500?
HAL enforces a 250 char limit for regular user chat messages. Originally, it was 200, and I never changed HAL's message. I'll probably get around to updating HAL's message, but it's not a top priority.

The underlying server (not HAL) will truncate all posts over 500 characters. This includes posts that HAL does not moderate -- like posts from admins and mods, and even PM's.

I was out for a while and seemed to have missed a lot. I will look at the old threads for the new POkemon, but what about the others. Were they sent to Nintendo yet, or are you guys waiting to make a package?

There are no intentions at all to send anything to Nintendo. This project, as it is now, is focused on making purely competitive pokémon, with the only intention of expanding our knowledge of competitive pokémon and, at the same time, balancing and diversifying the competitive pokémon pool.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Heh, that's funny, I've been pronouncing it "Sic-lant" this entire time
When you say it fast that's exactly what it sounds like, although if you want to break it down there;s supposed to be an e in there somewhere iirc... "syc-le - Ant"

eric the espeon

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Can you get someone banned from the server if they bitch at you for "not using real pokemon"?
If its just once my reaction would be to give them a warning and explain that these Pokemon are allowed on the server, if they do it again a kick, and the 3rd time would be a day ban.

If they were swearing and getting really stupid I might go straight for a kick.

Did we come to a conclusion on the "adding new pokemon unlocks new egg move chains" problem? I seem to remember one of the members recommending that egg moves only being passed to the pokemon, not from, but I haven't seen any official rulings on it.

eric the espeon

Did we come to a conclusion on the "adding new pokemon unlocks new egg move chains" problem? I seem to remember one of the members recommending that egg moves only being passed to the pokemon, not from, but I haven't seen any official rulings on it.
We have not come to a full conclusion yet, however iirc there was a general agreement that we could just assume that the new pokes can't pass on moves.

Maybe we should have a poll on the matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)