Ask a Simple Question; Get a Simple Answer & General Resources (OU Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in the process of building a new team for fun, and I'm thinking of a SubPunch Jirachi set. How do you guys feel about this:

Jirachi @ Leftovers/Life Orb
Jolly (+Spe, -SAtk)
252 HP / 228 Atk / 28 Spe
-Drain Punch
-Thunder Punch
-Ice Punch
-Substitute

The idea being setting up 101 HP Subs on the switch, whilst outspeeding max speed base 70's. Mainly using as a check to Breloom. Nice defensive stats and resistance, decent coverage and a workable attack stat. Checks alot of things, and with given coverage the opponent will find it hard to switch in a Poke that's not getting hit for at least neutral damage.

EV Spread is pretty much set in stone, any changes I could make on moveset? Also, Life Orb for the crucial boost to power or Leftovers?

Thanks!

The suggestion I would make would be this:

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Jolly (+Spe, -SAtk)
252 HP / 228 Atk / 28 Spe
-Iron Head
-Thunder Punch
-Ice Punch
-Substitute
Drain Punch isn't really needed or wanted; Thunderpunch and Ice Punch give good coverage on their own. Iron Head gives a STAB option as well as being able to abuse flinch-hax (particularly if you get any Thunderpunch paralysis) Without the recovery from Drain Punch, I would then go with Leftovers.

I know you said the EV Spread is set in stone, but you might want to look at running more speed or tweaking the defensive EVs to withstand certain attacks. Bear in mind that although 101 subs are nice, you beat the two most common users of Seismic Toss anyway (the blobs).

The suggestion I would make would be this:

Drain Punch isn't really needed or wanted; Thunderpunch and Ice Punch give good coverage on their own. Iron Head gives a STAB option as well as being able to abuse flinch-hax (particularly if you get any Thunderpunch paralysis) Without the recovery from Drain Punch, I would then go with Leftovers.

I know you said the EV Spread is set in stone, but you might want to look at running more speed or tweaking the defensive EVs to withstand certain attacks. Bear in mind that although 101 subs are nice, you beat the two most common users of Seismic Toss anyway (the blobs).
Thanks Rackham, I'm definitely going to try out those changes. As for changing speed EVs, what is the next milestone that I can realistically achieve without sacrificing too much power? Currently the atk EV's let me nab 2HKOs on many dedicated walls that are popular atm, as well as destroying many offensive threats.

I'm struggling finding a nice set for Politoed in my rain team, I currently run:

Politoed @ Leftovers
Bold | Drizzle
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
-Scald
-Toxic
-Protect
-Perish Song

It can tank some hits and hope for a burn with Scald or Toxic back, stall a little with Protect and Perish Song boosted users, I'm having trouble sending him in because even though it's bold, it still seems fragile to me e_e

Are there any better set move-wise so I can adapt my other team members around it? I often feel Poli is just there to set up rain and nothing else, playing 5 vs 6

Can't go wrong with scarfToed:

Politoed @ Leftovers
Timid | Drizzle
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Hydro Pump
-Ice Beam
-Focus Blast
-Surf / HP Grass

Hydro Pump hits hard under the rain, Ice Beam hits grass types, Focus Blast hits Ferrothorn. Surf is your more reliable STAB should you be in a position to sweep late-game. HP Grass hits water types.

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Quick Question: I've been meaning to test out Meloetta recently but havent gotten around to it. I'm curious as to whether or not you can still switch forms with relic song if you have already put an opponent to sleep. Does the move fail if it would've put the opponent to sleep and break sleep clause, or does it just change forms and give the sleep clause message? I realize its only a ten percent chance but stranger things have happened before.

Quick Question: I've been meaning to test out Meloetta recently but havent gotten around to it. I'm curious as to whether or not you can still switch forms with relic song if you have already put an opponent to sleep. Does the move fail if it would've put the opponent to sleep and break sleep clause, or does it just change forms and give the sleep clause message? I realize its only a ten percent chance but stranger things have happened before.
Using Relic Song as Meloetta-A always changes its forme to Meloetta-P, regardless of the Sleep-inducing side effect's activation or lack thereof. If you already put an opponent to sleep, Relic Song will function the same, but when the secondary effect would normally activate, it simply wouldn't activate or you would get a message like "You can't put 2 of the opponent's Pokémon to sleep" depending on the format

How exactly does Heal Block function? I know that the Smogon Attackdex says it only works against the active Pokemon until it switches out or five turns pass, and the in-game move descriptions are often misleading, but the in-game description says "For five turns, the user prevents the opposing team from using any moves, Abilities, or held items that recover HP."

I am trying to build a team around the status spreading capacity of double status Ammonguss. (spore + stun spore + clear smog + giga drain). In general, I want to build a weatherless heavy offense team. So, what do you guys think would be good team-mates to ammoonguss?

Another thing, I used a sun team in B/w1 which got me to 1300 on the PO server. It was specially def foretress, sunny day + sbeam tales, cb terrakion, chlorosaur, bulky volcarona and support Lilligant. Unfortunately this team gets ripped apart in the new metagame. It is hard to defeat rain teams especially with scarf politoed everywhere. Dugtrio and tornadus-T are also big pains. I have no switch-in into the latter and am forced to gamble by sending in ninetales, who takes a chunk from hurricane if it hits. And these mons and rain are so common that I have been dropping points like hell. So, what changes should I make to my team, so that I can take on these threats?
Bump. Can somebody please answer this?

A heavy offense team is a group of 5 sweepers held up by a screen support: Amoonguss doesn't fit in well.
However, some pokes that benefit from the disabling effect of spore and paralysis are relatively slow subbers like Kyurem, Hydreigon and others. Jirachi can abuse the paralysis support by running a scarf. Beware that every dragon with sub and Jirachi can use Amoonguss as setup bait, so be sure to have checks and counters to them.

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Bump. Can somebody please answer this?
I don't think amoonguss fits the profile of heavy offense very well. As a status spreader on an HO team i traditionally go with the Para-Shuffling Dragonite, it can work wonders and can be a surprise to teams that expect a DD or CB hit.

Regarding your sun team the biggest thing sun needs to succeed is just winning the weather war in general. a good check to politoed is CB breloom because it threatens to KO with bullet seed and traditionally lures Torn-T and btw Tornadus-T is 2HKO by CB low sweep iirc and breloom outpaces it after the speed drop. its a thought and something you can toy around with.

Hope I could be of some help.

How exactly does Heal Block function? I know that the Smogon Attackdex says it only works against the active Pokemon until it switches out or five turns pass, and the in-game move descriptions are often misleading, but the in-game description says "For five turns, the user prevents the opposing team from using any moves, Abilities, or held items that recover HP."
upokecenter.com said:
Effect lasts for five turns, including this turn. During effect, healing moves are disabled for the target. During effect, if an effect (other than Pain Split, Regenerator, and items targeted at the target) would cause the target to gain HP, it gains no HP instead. (Liquid Ooze still works.) Effect ends when the target isn't active (except Baton Pass).
So yeah, it's only against the active Pokemon but can be Baton Passed.

If Pokemon X uses Whirlpool on Pokemon Y, and then Pokemon X switches the following turn, can Pokemon Y switch after Pokemon X has switched, or would it still be trapped by Whirpool for however many turns?

If Pokemon X uses Whirlpool on Pokemon Y, and then Pokemon X switches the following turn, can Pokemon Y switch after Pokemon X has switched, or would it still be trapped by Whirpool for however many turns?
it would be able to switch the next turn after pokemon X switches.

But what about Heat Wave?

I'm pretty sure you can trade.
If someone is using Tornadus-T they'll be using it in rain, cutting Heat Wave to half its usual power, meaning SpDef Jirachi can still wall it. Anyway, another probable counter would be Chansey barring confusion hax, as I very much doubt either focus blast or superpower will be 2HKOing it (I haven't done the calcs though so don't quote me on it).

If someone is using Tornadus-T they'll be using it in rain, cutting Heat Wave to half its usual power, meaning SpDef Jirachi can still wall it. Anyway, another probable counter would be Chansey barring confusion hax, as I very much doubt either focus blast or superpower will be 2HKOing it (I haven't done the calcs though so don't quote me on it).
focus blast or superpower won't 2HKO jirachi for sure unless its choice specs tornadus with FB, then it might 2HKO, i have to run calcs as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)