Ask a Simple Question; Get a Simple Answer & General Resources (OU Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
If you are careful about what you're doing, then you should be ok. As long as you DO NOT post a thread to ask a question--that leads to instant locking and a huge stigma to carry around. If you've been lurking for some time, then you probably know this. I'd suggest hanging around areas like specific pokemon discussion threads, the suspects stats thread, or the general discussion thread. If you're really bold and you've been lurking for some time, then you could head over to the suspect thread, but the people there are often a bit more serious than the rest of the OU forum.

As long as you can make a good impression, then you should be ok. Welcome to smogon, I suppose!

where is the best place to find hidden power spreads, because i usally use metalkid's one, but that has malware according to google?

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
If you use psypoke's calculator, decreasing one variable by two will keep the hidden power the same type and power. Find the one you want on psypoke, then play around on Pokemon Online's teambuilder or psypoke's calculator to see what variations hold best. That's what I always do.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I want unlurk and post my opinions. So the question is, will smogon listen to my thoughts even though I don't have a lot of posts? Kind of a weird question, but I'm not sure how the smogon culture works.
Quantity of posts has very little to do with if you're being a respective and good debater. While it's true you'd see a lot of badged users with tons of posts that's just because we've been here for a while (maybe too long??). Regardless, no, you won't be seen as a newbie with no experience as long as your posts are well-constructed.

Hey I asked this in another thread, but it got last pag'd.

Are there any pokemon that can take on both Scizor and bulky waters at the same time? The only pokemon I can think of are Zapdos, which doesn't take CB-uturns well after rocks, and maybe Tangrowth, but I don't think it can hold its own vs bulky waters because of scald and no recovery outside of regenerator.

If you can think of anything it would be appreciated.

alkinesthetase

<@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
^ some bulky waters that can handle opposing bulky waters, like jellicent, might be able to do it, but they tend to risk toxicing one another, which cripples both parties... (EDIT: riiight forgot about taunt) tentacruel can handle it reasonably well since the worst thing that happens is it gets burned thanks to a toxic immunity. almost all bulky waters get neutered by toxic (bar cruel itself) so it can beat other bulky waters the slow way. restalk phazer/subDD gyarados sets should also be able to do it, in theory, but i might be missing something important there. unfortunately the list of things that hard counter scizor is surprisingly short because of the sheer power of CB uturn, so i can't think of any others off the top of my head

as an aside, by bulky waters i'm generally thinking of: bulky starmie, tentacruel, jellicent, gastrodon, the occasional vaporeon, defensive politoed, defensive gyarados, defensive rotom-W

Hey I asked this in another thread, but it got last pag'd.

Are there any pokemon that can take on both Scizor and bulky waters at the same time? The only pokemon I can think of are Zapdos, which doesn't take CB-uturns well after rocks, and maybe Tangrowth, but I don't think it can hold its own vs bulky waters because of scald and no recovery outside of regenerator.

If you can think of anything it would be appreciated.
Jellicent is able to take on both them. While Jellicent can't eliminate bully waters out of the game like Zapdos and grass-types can, it can slowly wear them down with Wil-o-wisp and taunt with speed investment. Of course a burned scizor is as good as no scizor. A Specially defensive Rotom-W might be able to help you. While it can't take CB u-turns it can burn Scizor with Wil-o-wisp and kill bulky waters with Thunderbolt.

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
When you use tangrowth you really shouldnt worry about burns unless you are a physical variant. Regenerator shouldn't be underestimated, it heals a lot of hp and you can continuously just bring it back in on double downs and immediately switch out to get some more hp. Over the course of the match, the burn damage will be pretty insignificant if you're using it to check bulky waters. I would be more worried about taking u-turns than bulky waters with Tangrowth.

Aside from the Jellicent suggestions, a ferrothorn will be able to somewhat handle scizor. CB u-turn is not a 2hko on 252 hp variants and you can make that a 3hko if you invest some defensive eVs into it. If you want to handle Scizor better you can go with Rocky Helmet, but you can also use the chesto resto set to handle bulky water burns a bit better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)