Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - mark 20 (READ THE OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Errm dunno whether this should be asked here but i need a bit of help. When using the 'Dancing tank' version of Gliscor in sandstorm should i use Sand Veil or Hyper Cutter as it's ability? Strategy Pokedex says use hyper cutter but i thought sand veil would be better in sandstorm.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Errm dunno whether this should be asked here but i need a bit of help. When using the 'Dancing tank' version of Gliscor in sandstorm should i use Sand Veil or Hyper Cutter as it's ability? Strategy Pokedex says use hyper cutter but i thought sand veil would be better in sandstorm.
It's really up to personal preference. Hyper Cutter is suggested so Gliscor's Attack isn't reduced by Gyarados's or Salamence's Intimidate. However, in sandstorm, Sand Veil can also work just as well, especially if you have ways of taking care of Gyarados and Salamence prior to bringing out Gliscor.

I believe that's up to personal preference. Sand Veil can get you a crucial kill, but Hyper Cutter blocks Intimidate. If you team has multiple checks/counters to the stuff that kills Gliscor, then you should go with Hyper Cutter though, as you can force them out and eventually kill them.

I'm thinking of making a Lure Tyrannitar, with the following set.

Tyrannitar @ Leftovers
Modest
252 S.Atk, not sure about the rest, probably all in HP and 1 in S. Def

Substitute
Flamethrower
HP Grass
Ice Beam

Essentially a modified Boah, this thing's role is to lure in its counter (Scizor, Swampert, Hippowdon, Breloom, Skarmory, Bronzong) and destroy them. I want to know what are some of the Sweepers that would benefit from the removal of these counters. Of the top of my mind, I know Lucario, Regirock and Rhyperior. Are there any others?

I believe that's up to personal preference. Sand Veil can get you a crucial kill, but Hyper Cutter blocks Intimidate. If you team has multiple checks/counters to the stuff that kills Gliscor, then you should go with Hyper Cutter though, as you can force them out and eventually kill them.

Tyrannitar @ Leftovers
Modest

Substitute
Flamethrower
HP Grass
Ice Beam

Essentially a modified Boah, this thing's role is to lure in its counter (Scizor, Swampert, Hippowdon, Breloom, Skarmory, Bronzong) and destroy them. I want to know what are some of the Sweepers that would benefit from the removal of these counters. Of the top of my mind, I know Lucario, Regirock and Rhyperior. Are there any others?
I would say a Jolly Gyrados. Once the walls are out of the way, only scarfers can stop it. BTW, the set needs a little work. Once the opponent sees substitute, they'll think you have Tyraniboah, probably causing them to switch. You should give it enough defense and HP EV's to survive a Scizor's Bullet Punch, a Hippodown's EQ, Breloom's seed bomb, etc. Then, take Substitute off the set and replace it with something else.

Tyrannitar @ Leftovers
Modest

Substitute
Flamethrower
HP Grass
Ice Beam

Dragon Dance Salamence (or really any Salamence) is probably the most likely to tear through teams without those Pokemon in the way (although Vaporeon can still pose a problem, which also poses a threat to the Gyarados I now see was posted above me). Also, with Substitute on Tyranitar, you will probably want 252 HP EVs to make 101 HP subs (as HP Grass does not lower your HP IV). Even though you can't actually do anything to Blissey, it is useful to scout her move or even fake a Boah set to scare her away.

Wgo would win in a battle between Garchomp and Salmence, assuming they were both switched in at the same time, there was a Sandstorm, and Salmence wasnt holding an item?
And how would the outcome be affected if Garchomp was holding either a Life Orb or Brightpowder?
Also, Salmence has Dragon Claw and Draco Meteor, and Garchomp has Dragon Rush and Dragon Claw.
Garchomp is faster and gets an easy OHKO with dragon ruch

Wild Eep

pet pet pet
is a Forum Moderatoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
I've been making multiple runs through Platinum to collect the legendaries with different natures/IVs (serial RNG abuse), and I've gone through enough times that I'm having a little trouble choosing which Azelf to get next...

I already have:

Timid 31/31/31/31/31/31
Naive 30/31/31/31/31/31
Jolly 31/31/31/29/31/31
Timid 31/30/30/30/30/30 (HP Fighting 70)

Possibilities to get next:
Naive 30/31/31/30/26/31 (HP Ground 70)
Timid 31/31/31/30/30/31 (HP Ground 70)
Adamant 31/31/31/24/31/31
Rash 31/30/30/31/31/31 (HP Ice 70, but also seems to be the best Rash spread regardless of Hidden Power)
Naive 31/30/30/31/31/31 (HP Ice 70)
Timid 31/22/30/31/31/31 (HP Ice 70)
Anything I may have missed...?

I figure it's good to invoke the "Ask the Audience" lifeline in such a state of indecision. Any input will be much appreciated!
This got ignored from last page.

Also, how important really is the "Life Orb Number"? For the Naive HP Ground IV spread on Azelf, is 29/31/31/30/30/31 better than 30/31/31/30/26/31 even with a one-point drop in Hidden Power power?

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
This got ignored from last page.

Also, how important really is the "Life Orb Number"? For the Naive HP Ground IV spread on Azelf, is 29/31/31/30/30/31 better than 30/31/31/30/26/31 even with a one-point drop in Hidden Power power?
Life Orb numbers generally aren't important. Any HP stat that isn't divisible by 10 is a "Life Orb number". If you have an HP stat divisible by 10, you can only use Life Orb 10 times before dying. If you have an HP indivisible by 10, you can attack 11 times.

What's more, due to the omnipresence of entry hazards, sandstorm, and the general unlikelihood that Azelf will be able to attack 10 times without taking any outside damage, the "Life Orb number" becomes even more trivial.

Where can one buy Dive Balls?
You can get Dive Balls from the News Press guy in Solaceon Town for showing him a specific pokemon each day but they are rare. The easiest way is to transfer a pokemon from Ruby, Sapphire, or Emerald that is holding a Dive Ball via Pal Park. Although Dive Balls don't serve any special purpose in Diamond or Pearl because you can't go underwater.

I read that you can get help on how to battle better, but where do I find that help on this website?
Lurk a lot, sign up for the next tutoring round, read through analyses, etc. Just read up on things here, work on your battling on Smogon University's Shoddy Server and you'll progress just fine.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
I read that you can get help on how to battle better, but where do I find that help on this website?
Welcome to Smogon!

First, you might read some of the informational articles about DP competitive battling here.

Then, when building a team, you should look at the recommended sets for your Pokemon here.

If you need someone to spend time teaching you how to battle better (or would just rather learn from a person rather than reading articles), you can sign up for tutoring when the next round opens here.

Alternatively, many of the threads found in this forum offer in-depth information about many aspects of the competitive scene.

1. If a Pokemon has a Focus Sash, and the enemy uses False Swipe, and the Pokemon has 1 HP, does the Focus Sash activate?

2. Where is the list of all the members? I might change my name.

Welcome to Smogon!

First, you might read some of the informational articles about DP competitive battling here.

Then, when building a team, you should look at the recommended sets for your Pokemon here.

If you need someone to spend time teaching you how to battle better (or would just rather learn from a person rather than reading articles), you can sign up for tutoring when the next round opens here.

Alternatively, many of the threads found in this forum offer in-depth information about many aspects of the competitive scene.
Thanks, this helps a lot!

1. If a Pokemon has a Focus Sash, and the enemy uses False Swipe, and the Pokemon has 1 HP, does the Focus Sash activate?

2. Where is the list of all the members? I might change my name.
1. I don't see why it matters, but if the Pokemon already has 1 HP then the Focus Sash wouldn't work anyway. It would have to be a very lopsided match up for False Swipe to OHKO something, as well. Also, it doesn't matter if it activates or not, as Focus Sash can't work without 100% health and False Swipe will never KO anything.

2. Here. There is a link at the top of any page on the forums that says "Members List" in white on a purple bar.

I was thinking of trying out a gimmick Baton Pass for Togekiss, in hopes of Passing the Ancientpower-style boost (off Ancientpower, Ominous Wind, and Silver Wind). I've always loved pressing my luck with those moves, and with Togekiss' innate bulk and Serene Grace, I figured it's worth a shot.

Obviously, Serene Grace and Leftovers are a must, as is max Speed to get the moves off and run. I figured beyond that, max HP and I may as well dump the leftover to Special Attack. But, for Nature, is it more worthwhile to go with Bold for better Defense, Calm to skyrocket its already impressive Special Defense, or Timid for more Speed?

Also, I'm fairly torn on the precise combo to run... I get more PP and coverage if I run all 3 and Baton Pass, but Substitute or Roost would give more bulk. So, what's the best combination here? Suggestions for a new EV spread are also welcome if it'll increase survivability.

1. I don't see why it matters, but if the Pokemon already has 1 HP then the Focus Sash wouldn't work anyway. It would have to be a very lopsided match up for False Swipe to OHKO something, as well. Also, it doesn't matter if it activates or not, as Focus Sash can't work without 100% health and False Swipe will never KO anything.

2. Here. There is a link at the top of any page on the forums that says "Members List" in white on a purple bar.
thanks

Is Ice Beam a good option on OU Latias? Sure, overlaprs with Dragon, but pairs well with Surf and Thunderbolt while helping me take-on many non-Dragon Ice-weaks such as Celebi without taking a sharp SpA drop from Draco Meteor...

@Choice Specs

6Def/252SpA/252Spe
Modest nature, Swift Swim trait
~Draco Meteor
~Hydro Pump
~Dragon Pulse
~Ice Beam

Good? Also, is Dragon Pulse better than Surf for an additional STAB move?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)