Ask a simple question, get a simple answer mark 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
On standard Jolly Infernape, none of those moves would work so well, Blaze Kick a minor exception if you don't like Flare Blitz.
EDIT: Are you a 2-on-2 battler? If not, don't bother with Helping Hand, Infernape was not built for support. Also, Counter only works if Infernape has Focus Sash, seeing as how any powerful move will knock it out in one shot.

If a pogey's invested EVs in a stat are at say, 106, would using a EV reducing berry cause the invested EVs to drop to 100 or 96?

And is there a quick way to obtain BP in Emerald? I've heard of some sort of gambling guy where you bet BPs, but how does that work, and is there a faster way?

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
i'd go with counter.

You could use it to pass Counter to hariyama!
Or he could go with Blaze Kick anyway and pass it to Lucario!

And is there a quick way to obtain BP in Emerald? I've heard of some sort of gambling guy where you bet BPs, but how does that work, and is there a faster way?
There's a house below the Battle Pyramid that allows you to bet BP in sets of 5, 10, or 15 BP. He tells you an event he's betting on, you bet on it, then if you beat that event you win the BP you bet with. If you lose... well, you've lost the BP you bet with.

If a pogey's invested EVs in a stat are at say, 106, would using a EV reducing berry cause the invested EVs to drop to 100 or 96?

Rule of Thumb: If a Poke has more EV's than 100, using one berry will reduce it to 100. If it is lower than 100, it will lower the EV points by 10 for each berry.
There is no gambler, as far as I'm concerned. The only way to make it go fast is just keep battling and battling and battling. I like the Battle Tower for quick points.

There's a house below the Battle Pyramid that allows you to bet BP in sets of 5, 10, or 15 BP. He tells you an event he's betting on, you bet on it, then if you beat that event you win the BP you bet with. If you lose... well, you've lost the BP you bet with.
Ah nice, thanks :toast:. How many times a day can you do this, or is it not capped?

You can do it as many times as you want.

wifiddle: infernape doesnt need much speed in battle tower. i dont know how much you should put exactly but not that much.

I just had Future Sight say "But it failed" instead of hitting. Is this because of its 90% accuracy -- it always works, but then has a chance of really hitting?

And is it affected by accuracy/evade?

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
* Does Life Orb leech 20% in double battles?

No.

* Does Belly Drum go through a Substitute?

You still cause 50% damage to yourself and maximize Attack. In other words, it does the same as if you had no Substitute.
Is it possible to use Guard Swap in Single Battles? If so, does the effects stay even when the opponent switches Pokemon? I've got a pretty good Alakazam moveset that might work...

Yes, you can use it, but not particularly effectively I'd say (just as effectively as in double battles, though). The effect is lost when the Pokemon that used Guard Swap switches.
Wait... does it swap the Defenses or just the boosts, like Iron Defense?

It swaps boosts. If I use Cosmic Power and they use Amnesia, I have +1 Def and +1 SpDef, and they have +2 SpDef. If either of us uses Guard Swap, I end up with +2 SpDef and they end up with +1 Def and +1 SpDef. The stats to which these boosts are applied remain the same.
What moves does substitute block, or what doesn't it block if that would be easier?

Substitute is explained here.
This is going to make me sound a little bit dumb, but how do people calculate things like:
How much attack/special attack choiceband/specs will give you?
the same with choice scarf.

It's a 50% increase to whatever your stat was. For instance, if I have 300 Speed without a Choice Scarf, I'll have 300 * 1.5 = 450 Speed after a Choice Scarf. If I had 301 Speed, it would be 301 * 1.5 = 451.5. Speed must be a whole number, however, so you round it down to 451 (Pokemon almost always rounds down).
Choice items boost their respective stats by one level. Basically, take 50% of a Pokemons regular stat and add it on.

Example: Alakazam has 300 SpAtk normally. With Choice Specs, it would have 450 (300+150).

It's not quite a "one stage" boost. If you have a real one stage boost (for instance, Baton Pass a Choice Specs Alakazam +1 Special Attack) and equip Choice Specs, you would not have a 2 stage boost, but a 1 stage boost (300 * 1.5 = 450 Special Attack), and then a 50% boost on top of that (450 * 1.5 = 675, as opposed to the 600 you would have gotten by just adding the boosts to get * 2).
i think that protects chance of succession lowers while detects does not.

Both lower with consecutive use. In fact, if you use Protect, then next turn, Protect, Detect, and Endure will all have a 50% chance of working.
I just had Future Sight say "But it failed" instead of hitting. Is this because of its 90% accuracy -- it always works, but then has a chance of really hitting?

Yes. Because Future Sight is an end-of-turn damage effect, it technically doesn't "miss" as far as the game's text is concerned, it "fails". They mean the same thing in this case.

And is it affected by accuracy/evade?

I am 99.6% certain it is. However, if it is, it uses the Accuracy / Evasion at the time of selecting the move, not at the time of striking (even if I have a 6 DT Sand Veil Brightpowder Pokemon out being targeted, then switch to another Pokemon and use Sweet Scent on it a bunch of times).

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I didn't forget your question. I have never played in the DP Battle Tower, and in fact do not yet own Diamond or Pearl, and as such, I have absolutely no knowledge of the Battle Tower there. This means I also have no interest in it, and therefore am unaware of the Speed of anything. Sorry.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Where exactly in Solaceon Town do I find the Facade TM, please? Thanks in advance!

TM42 -- Facade -- As far as I can figure out, it's in the "gym" in Solaceon...did the gym leader give it to you? o_O

Also, it's apparently given to you by a Black Belt in a house in the survival area.

Another question: What happens if you use Razor Wind or Outrage and are then flinched/put to sleep/whatever? I assume they're like rollout, and just reset to normal if the pokemon can't continue the attack (or can't use the attack in the case of Razor Wind/Skull Bash/Sky Attack)?

obi

formerly david stone
If you flinch on either turn (the turn you attempt to select the move, or the turn you are supposed to actually attack), you fail to do anything. If you flinch on the turn to select the move, next turn you are normal and haven't lost PP. If you flinch on the turn you were supposed to attack, next turn you are normal (and can select a move, meaning the attack never actually goes through), but the move is 1 PP short (for no effect, unless you used Skull Bash, in which case you have +1 Defense). The same thing happens if Slaking uses Solarbeam. Charge up turn 1, loaf turn 2. Turn 3, you can select a move like normal, meaning all you accomplished is to waste 1 PP of Solarbeam and lock yourself into not switching out on turn 2 (I'm fairly sure of this last point, but again, haven't tested that scenario specifically, but the loaf check doesn't occur until the turn, so, as usual, I'd say I'm only 99.6% sure that you can't switch).

Alright here is a simple question. On a Lucario I used to use it's focus sash activated when it wasn't at full health...
However it never took damage directly and it switched out. Could these conditions have resetted the trigger or something?

This really freaked me out.

YES I'm sure it is a Focus sash and not a band.

Information
The Skull Bash defense boost stays? The things I didn't know. >_>

As for the Focus Sash thing, I'd have to hear more information about the situation. I've never heard of a Focus Sash being used when the holder didn't have full health.

What happens if I go Online with another DS?
I used to use my Diamond on my DS.
When I used it in my Friend's and want to go Online, there comes a Message.
What does exactly happen to my Diamond Game Cart?

It switched in and took damage from SR and then it switched out. I used a rapid spin and it came back later when My rapid spinner fainted. Next it took a critical hit from ape. Then I was like.
"O_o I <--(My face at the time.) My Lucario's defenses aren't that good...
"Lucario held on due to it's Focus Sash."
That was the whole scenerio.

Well if you wanna play online with a different DS, you need to transfer the data (FC and stuff), in the wi-fi connection options.

My question: 2v2 Electrode @ Life Orb or Maybe Silk Scarf?
- Thunderbolt
- Protect
- Explosion
- Swift or Magnet Rise?

I plan on using it with EQless imprison noir so should I be magnet rising? And is HP grass a good option for it (for Quagsire of course who ruins exploding)

Is this EV spread OK for a Mixed Sweeping Infernape holding Focus Sash in the battle tower...?

138 Atk/140 SpA/232 Spd

What do you think it should outspeed?

Yes, you do get a new FC and all your Pal Pad friends get deleted. I know for sure because i just got a DS Lite and i had to redo my Pal Pad and give out my new code.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)