Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: Monotype Edition

hey where can i post my monotype Ice team for people to critisize/ improve upon?
You can do so in the Other Metagames section of the RMT Forum, which can be found here, or in the monotype/rmt rooms on pokemon showdown. Make sure to follow the guidelines, though!
Edit- Sniped lol

Hi i was wondering why mega-Abomasnow is never ussed in a monotype ice team? (except by me). Woodhammer and Avalanche hits very hard with decent defence stats aswell. His speed is really low but ice shard and avalanche seem like a good way to deal with that.

Hi i was wondering why mega-Abomasnow is never ussed in a monotype ice team? (except by me). Woodhammer and Avalanche hits very hard with decent defence stats aswell. His speed is really low but ice shard and avalanche seem like a good way to deal with that.
Mega Abomasnow isn't used because of its low Speed severely cutting from its offensive capabilities. Its part Grass typing isn't really helpful in many matchups outside of Water or Ground, both of which Ice already has favorable matchups against anyway. Outside of those matchups, it isn't really easy for it to take hits because of how awful its typing is defensively. Also, being forced to run Abomasite makes Ice Shard much weaker compared to something like Weavile's, since it can actually carry a LO. Overall, none of Ice's megas are particularly worth it.

Hi, I was wondering if is there another type that plays similar to Steel in that it is Balanced, easy to get used to, uses hazard stacking and pivoting to pressure the opponent, and has a good/great defense or offense core.

Hi, I was wondering if is there another type that plays similar to Steel in that it is Balanced, easy to get used to, uses hazard stacking and pivoting to pressure the opponent, and has a good/great defense or offense core.
You could try Poison or Water. They both run very strong defensive cores and utilize two hazards (Stealth Rock + Toxic Spikes) to wear down the enemy. Water in particular has very good pivoting game with Greninja and Toxapex being good offensive and defensive pivots respectively.

You could try Poison or Water. They both run very strong defensive cores and utilize two hazards (Stealth Rock + Toxic Spikes) to wear down the enemy. Water in particular has very good pivoting game with Greninja and Toxapex being good offensive and defensive pivots respectively.
Alright, I will try both of them out, thank you.

If this is the wrong place to ask, then I am sorry and will delete this post, but I have a question. I have been playing Monotype for a while now, and I have used just about every type there is, and it has got me wondering. Is it better to be a "master" with one type or be a Jack of all trades with all the types?

If this is the wrong place to ask, then I am sorry and will delete this post, but I have a question. I have been playing Monotype for a while now, and I have used just about every type there is, and it has got me wondering. Is it better to be a "master" with one type or be a Jack of all trades with all the types?
That’s a great question! Assumimg you have been playing monotype for a while, your next step is to get into higher level play. Running one/two types in tournaments such as MPL is very likely to get you CTeamed every week. Back when I still actively played the tier, (and further back still, when I first joined), I used to main one type in tours and got predicted. I would suggest having multiple teams for each type, in the name of versatility. If you can become a very skilled player with a majority of types, you should be set to become a great player. Welcome to Smogon, and I hope you enjoy your time here.

That’s a great question! Assumimg you have been playing monotype for a while, your next step is to get into higher level play. Running one/two types in tournaments such as MPL is very likely to get you CTeamed every week. Back when I still actively played the tier, (and further back still, when I first joined), I used to main one type in tours and got predicted. I would suggest having multiple teams for each type, in the name of versatility. If you can become a very skilled player with a majority of types, you should be set to become a great player. Welcome to Smogon, and I hope you enjoy your time here.
Thank you, and yes I have been playing Monotype for a while. What are CTeamed and MPL? I do have multiple teams because after a while my Steel team wasn't doing so hot, so I began switching it and having been having great success with Dark and Fire, so thanks to your advice I may learn to become good with multiple teams. Also, thank you for the welcoming.

Yoshi

IT'S FINK DUMBASS
Thank you, and yes I have been playing Monotype for a while. What are CTeamed and MPL? I do have multiple teams because after a while my Steel team wasn't doing so hot, so I began switching it and having been having great success with Dark and Fire, so thanks to your advice I may learn to become good with multiple teams. Also, thank you for the welcoming.
"CTeamed" means to counter team someone, which means to bring a team that's really good versus their team. MPL is the Monotype Premier League, essentially a team tournament where players get drafted to play different formats of Monotype.

I’m not sure if this merits a post in the thread but-

CTeamed- I used this incorrectly. CTeaming means counter teaming, which is using all you know about the opponent to create a team to give you an advantage, mostly illegally.

What I should’ve said is predicted, which is the same as above but done legitimately. (Without spying on the opponent)

MPL is Monotype Premier League, and is where the top players of the format fight for their teams to see which is top. It is already underway this year (Go Sabers!!) and is pinned to the top of our forum.

Sniped lol

"CTeamed" means to counter team someone, which means to bring a team that's really good versus their team. MPL is the Monotype Premier League, essentially a team tournament where players get drafted to play different formats of Monotype.
I’m not sure if this merits a post in the thread but-

CTeamed- I used this incorrectly. CTeaming means counter teaming, which is using all you know about the opponent to create a team to give you an advantage, mostly illegally.

What I should’ve said is predicted, which is the same as above but done legitimately. (Without spying on the opponent)

MPL is Monotype Premier League, and is where the top players of the format fight for their teams to see which is top. It is already underway this year (Go Sabers!!) and is pinned to the top of our forum.

Sniped lol
Alright, thank y'all both.

So after making teams of every type and laddering for a time, I came up with a rudimentary viability ranking for the types themselves. How accurate would you say this is?

A Rank
The best types, easy to use, with few notable weaknesses, and are either exceptional at one thing or versatile enough to do multiple things well.

Water, Psychic, Fairy, Normal?, Flying?

B Rank
Very good types that have a few problems holding them back from greatness, but nonetheless are still very effective.

Bug, Dragon, Electric?, Ground, Flying?, Steel, Poison?, Normal?

C Rank
Types that have severe drawbacks, but have enough strengths to balance them out, making them decent overall.

Dark, Electric?, Poison?

D Rank
Types that have a few good points, but have far more flaws, making them inconsistent.

Fighting, Fire, Grass?

F Rank
The worst types, their flaws far exceed whatever strengths they might possess, making them high risk low return overall.

Grass?, Ghost, Ice, Rock

The ones with a Question Mark are types I was split between 2 tiers.

No, you shouldn't use monotype teams outside of monotype, it just isn't going to work since you're stacking weaknesses so heavily

for example if you use mono fire in ru you'll struggle way too heavily to check things like zygarde-10
Ah, well that sucks, thank you.

I mean that is sort of the point of there being a monotype tier, so you can utilize mono teams and have them not being at a total disadvantage since everyone else has to play by that restriction. If you're new to mono, I hope you stick around!
I have seen other people talk about running a Mono Ubers team or AAA or what have you and that is why I was asking. I am somewhat new to monotype, and I may not stay around due to my favorite type being decent at best and my favorite mon being meh at best.

I have seen other people talk about running a Mono Ubers team or AAA or what have you and that is why I was asking. I am somewhat new to monotype, and I may not stay around due to my favorite type being decent at best and my favorite mon being meh at best.
Ah, what you are referencing are OMs (other metas) and those do exist. You can read this thread for more info and see sample teams, VRs, general discussion, etc. Basically, mono in Ubers or AAA itself doesn't really work, but there are room tours hosted on PS! pretty frequently where you can practice and play vs others, or you can also challenge people in the mono room.

Ah, what you are referencing are OMs (other metas) and those do exist. You can read this thread for more info and see sample teams, VRs, general discussion, etc. Basically, mono in Ubers or AAA itself doesn't really work, but there are room tours hosted on PS! pretty frequently where you can practice and play vs others, or you can also challenge people in the mono room.
Ah, gotcha now, my fault.

Moosical

big yikes
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Is there really any point in using Pokemon that aren't S or A rank?
Yes, there is absolutely a point. Every Pokemon on the VR is ranked for a reason, they all serve a purpose on a Monotype team. Keep in mind that the rankings are relative to each other. Meaning, a Pokemon is ranked based on how good it is in relation to the other Pokemon within the ranking system.

Just because a Pokemon isn't S or A rank, that doesn't mean it doesn't have a niche or reason to be used. For example if you look at Dragon VR, Latias is B rank and its niche lies in its ability to use Healing Wish, which can support a specific win condition on your team (such as Mega Altaria), while still being able to provide bulky fast support along with Defog. Hydreigon is also B rank and is extremely effective in helping with the Psychic matchup thanks to its pivoting with U-turn and STAB Dark-type attacks. If we move lower down the list to C ranks, Dragalge is very bulky with an important neutrality to Fairy while possessing the ability to provide Toxic Spikes support, Mega Garchomp is an even bulkier alternative to Garchomp while proving more effective in the Steel matchup, and Salamence can be used as a Dragon Dance win condition. These 3 are only C rank though, as their niche is less generally useful compared to the higher ranked Pokemon.

Essentially, as you move lower down on the VR, Pokemon become less widely useful, and are more for targeting specific match-ups. Therefore, if you're only laddering, then yeah, you'll tend to see mainly the highly ranked Pokemon as they find the most general match-up use. But, if you're looking at tournament play, you'll start seeing more and more lower ranked Pokemon as people tend to build to target specific match-ups, based on what they predict their opponent using.

Yes, there is absolutely a point. Every Pokemon on the VR is ranked for a reason, they all serve a purpose on a Monotype team. Keep in mind that the rankings are relative to each other. Meaning, a Pokemon is ranked based on how good it is in relation to the other Pokemon within the ranking system.

Just because a Pokemon isn't S or A rank, that doesn't mean it doesn't have a niche or reason to be used. For example if you look at Dragon VR, Latias is B rank and its niche lies in its ability to use Healing Wish, which can support a specific win condition on your team (such as Mega Altaria), while still being able to provide bulky fast support along with Defog. Hydreigon is also B rank and is extremely effective in helping with the Psychic matchup thanks to its pivoting with U-turn and STAB Dark-type attacks. If we move lower down the list to C ranks, Dragalge is very bulky with an important neutrality to Fairy while possessing the ability to provide Toxic Spikes support, Mega Garchomp is an even bulkier alternative to Garchomp while proving more effective in the Steel matchup, and Salamence can be used as a Dragon Dance win condition. These 3 are only C rank though, as their niche is less generally useful compared to the higher ranked Pokemon.

Essentially, as you move lower down on the VR, Pokemon become less widely useful, and are more for targeting specific match-ups. Therefore, if you're only laddering, then yeah, you'll tend to see mainly the highly ranked Pokemon as they find the most general match-up use. But, if you're looking at tournament play, you'll start seeing more and more lower ranked Pokemon as people tend to build to target specific match-ups, based on what they predict their opponent using.
Alright, that makes a lot of sense actually, so thank you very much.

Reactions: DoW

Havens

WGI World Champion
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Would a tournament of Monotype + OMotM be of any interest to the playerbase here? Like, say, Monotype Inheritance?
That's not out of the question, considering at one point we've done something along the lines of Monotype Wildcard, Shared Power and Tier Shift.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)