Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: Monotype Edition

Moosical

big yikes
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Hi all! Please use this thread for any simple questions you may have.

New threads require approval from the moderators of this forum. If you have ideas for a new thread, whether it be a project, resource, or otherwise, please send a PM to Chaitanya, Decem, Zap, or Ticken. Please do not use this forum for Rate My Team type threads, those belong in the RMT forum.

When posting a questions, please use the following guideline:
  1. Your question should provide a brief explanation for context.
  2. When answering a question, please be sure to quote the question so that it is clear what question you are answering.
  3. Please check out the available resources for Monotype before asking a question as your question may already be answered.
Frequently Asked Questions
What does [move / item / ability] do?

Check out the Smogon Strategy Dex [Gen 8 WIP] or Pokemon Showdown's Dex. They have lots of great information on competitive Pokemon battling!

What is banned from Monotype?
The Monotype banlist for Generation 8 will be on the Smogon Strategy Dex [WIP]! Please see the Monotype Sword and Shield Discussion thread while it is being set up.

Last edited by a moderator:
you can use Gyarados, a Water/Flying-type Pokemon, on a Mono-Water or a Mono-Flying team. If you choose Gyarados, you can also use Jellicent, a Water/Ghost-type Pokemon, and create a Mono-Water team with the two of them, but you cannot use Noivern, a Flying/Dragon-type Pokemon, on that team because it does not share a type with Gyarados and Lanturn.
I do not understand this example. What is the special significance of Lanturn? Why does a team containing Gyarados and Jellicent require each Pokemon to share a type with both Gyarados and Lanturn? I guess each Pokemon is supposed to be water, but I fail to see why Lanturn is part of the reason for that.

Last edited:
I do not understand this example. What is the special significance of Lanturn? Why does a team containing Gyarados and Jellicent require each Pokemon to share a type with both Gyarados and Lanturn? I guess each Pokemon is supposed to be water, but I fail to see why Lanturn is part of the reason for that.
It was a typo that I've corrected. Thank you for catching it!

mushamu

God jihyo
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
What's the recommended set for Rotom-H and Vikavolt on Electric?
We don't have a recommended set for Rotom-H, but we do have a set for Rotom-W and Vikavolt on Electric which can be found here and here respectively. Since it's the beginning of the generation, we're starting out with mini analyses, then moving onto full ones later on when the metagame is more of a thing. If you ever need a set, feel free to take a look at some of our Monotype analyses, the subforum if it hasn't been uploaded yet, or ask around!

Kev

Part of the journey is the end
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hello! Pretty new to Mono, it usually takes me a bit to get a feel of the tier and whatnot. I was just wondering if there are any plans on having sample teams in the near future.
Hi, hope you stick around to monotype! Sample teams are definitely happening, we are just giving the meta game some time to settle so that we can have solid sample teams that wont need to be constantly changed due to bans and what not. Expect it opening within a few weeks or a month maybe, but no guarantee. For the meanwhile you can always ask for help in the monotype room / monotype discord where people will happily fix your teams and maybe even provide full teams if necessary.

Harpp

No rain, no flowers.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
With the recent ban of Galarian Darmanitan from OU, will G-Darm be banned from Monotype as well?
I dont think that G-Darm will be banned from Monotype. In Monotype it is limited to only one type i.e Ice and I dont feel that its presence on Ice-teams is over centralizing for team building. Metagame here is adapting to it as you can see Grass teams running Protect on both Ferrothron and Thick Fat Appletun to scout for its moves. With Choice Scarf it is not really that fast either to be hard to check for other teams. I hope this answers.

pulsar512b

ss ou fangirl
is a Pre-Contributor
Is there a helpful chart of some sort that shows all the type matchups? I know it's not necessarily what the regular strengths/weaknesses are. Just wondering.

Is there a helpful chart of some sort that shows all the type matchups? I know it's not necessarily what the regular strengths/weaknesses are. Just wondering.
No, Unfortunately there is not (although that could be a very interesting project!). I know last gen people had formed a list of bad matchups for each type. The problem with a list like that is that everyone builds their teams differently, so it wouldn’t really apply to all builds of a type.

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
What is the best and worst types in the meta right now? I know this is pretty subjective but I’d like to know what types are generally considered the strongest right now.

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
Steel, Dragon, and Dark are mostly considered the best types right now. Fighting is the worst and the only "unusable" type.
Interesting, I would’ve thought that Rock would be the worst type since it lost all of the fossils from last gen and some staples like Cradily. guess having access to Webs keeps it afloat still.

Hello, i have a tournament format suggestion for monotype (inspired by KotH and Conquest formats in Hearthstone). Where can i post my suggestion ?

mushamu

God jihyo
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Hello, i have a tournament format suggestion for monotype (inspired by KotH and Conquest formats in Hearthstone). Where can i post my suggestion ?
If you have a suggestion for a tournament that you would like to host, you can start by making a conversation with the forum moderators, which would be Eien, Moosical, and Wanka, and sharing the details there.
Hey can i rank up in game with a monorank team?
Not sure what "monorank" is, could you try clarifying your question please?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)