Resource Ask a simple question, get a simple answer: NU Edition

I would run 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SpD Calm to hit jump point in special defense and run it with leftovers. Colbur is more suited for its pivot set to switch into the likes of Fighting-type with Knock Off more easily. Make sure to have some teammates such as Gurdurr to take care of Sneasel and Liepard as well.

Orphic

perhaps
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
errr set up on it, i misspoke. u cant actually touch it LOL
I don't understand a single word of this post ._. Sneasel can touch it? Musharna can touch Sneasel? and idk what "i misspoke" means :(

Pokedots you gotta hit it hard and fast, offensive pressure. Hazards, tricking items, setting up a special attacker and such, maybe NP Liepard with encore LOL, there are ways to play around it, but you gotta act fast.

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I don't understand a single word of this post ._. Sneasel can touch it? Musharna can touch Sneasel? and idk what "i misspoke" means :(

Pokedots you gotta hit it hard and fast, offensive pressure. Hazards, tricking items, setting up a special attacker and such, maybe NP Liepard with encore LOL, there are ways to play around it, but you gotta act fast.
we're talking about the barrier stored power set. you know the one that is mono attacking with psychic? aka the one type sneasel is immune to? sorry that was so confusing

the main drawback to the barrier + cm set is that any and all dark types wall you, otherwise, its one of the best settup sweepers in the game and hella difficult to pressure, but tricking items is probably the your best bet other than running a dark type. Also, it doesn't like Toxic, so if you can get a Toxic off you are limiting the damage it can do to your team by putting it on a timer.

Yo there is this jerk face hollywood I have to beat on an nu tour but I struggling understanding the meta a little. Here are my questions:

1. Will gallade get a suspect or is it a solid S rank mon?
2.What ia gallades most effective counter in the meta?
3. Where can I find replays of high ranked players in nu?
4. Cant kilngklang beat all S rank pokemon after a shift gear?
5. If not gallade, what pokemon puts the most pressure on team building?
6. What absence of a nu pokemon would destroy the current meta?

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Yo there is this jerk face hollywood I have to beat on an nu tour but I struggling understanding the meta a little. Here are my questions:

1. Will gallade get a suspect or is it a solid S rank mon?
2.What ia gallades most effective counter in the meta?
3. Where can I find replays of high ranked players in nu?
4. Cant kilngklang beat all S rank pokemon after a shift gear?
5. If not gallade, what pokemon puts the most pressure on team building?
6. What absence of a nu pokemon would destroy the current meta?
Gallade will eventually become suspected. People are counterplaying Gallade with offensive momentum: Gallade's physical defense is rather lacking, and we can see that a lot of good Pokemon like Tauros, Sneasel, Archeops, Fletch, etc. put a ton of pressure on it. It's nearly impossible to contain defensively, but it is checkable. If you are desperate for a defensive check, Granbull and Togetic are good pokemon. Granbull has T-wave and attacks coming from 120 base attack to discourage switch-ins, but it is easily worn down without the unreliable Rest + Sleep Talk combination. Togetic doesn't like Knock Off and doesn't check Sneasel unlike Granbull, but it gets Defog, Baton Pass, etc. which provides more utility.

When Gallade will be suspected is up for debate, as there's some disagreement as to which Pokemon should be suspected first. Not to mention, it hasn't even been a week since the Magneton ban has happened, and people are still trying to figure out what exactly is good / works / doesn't work / etc. If we had to point out something other than Gallade in particular, Sneasel is another Pokemon that puts a ton of pressure on teambuilding. It is hard for offense to deal with the fact that Sneasel outspeed your whole team, and eventually at the end of the game, clean up. Defensive mons still don't like being knocked off, whittled down, and dealing with potential Icicle Crash flinches. Strong pursuits also ruin defensive cores quite easily. Klinklang's place on the Viability rankings was compromised by Magneton, so it's not so high up at the moment. We don't want to get too ahead of ourselves! But if you want to ask for my opinion, Klinklang in a pretty good place right now. It sometimes has trouble setting up, and there are counters (most notably, Quagsire), but people are not yet accustomed to the fact that Klinklang is good again.

1. We'll have to see on this one.
2. Granbull
3. replay.pokemonshowdown.com and search for high ranked players, tournament winners etc.
4. Yes, but it's also walled consistently by more things than the S ranked mons are because its coverage is really limited.
5. I'd say Sneasel because its very common right now and we don't have many things that want to switch in on both of its STABs and the speed tier game is strong.
6. Hitmoncha-oh wait

Last edited:
Which Poke is more useful on a team right now? Specs Swellow or some offensive Xatu?
To give you some idea of my team: I can keep momentum pretty solidly but I always like have more fast U-turners, the only other special attacker is Lanturn and I have no Spinners or Defoggers.

any sets to recommend?
Two sets that i suggest

Xatu @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 180 Def / 80 Spe
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Thunder Wave
- Psychic
- Roost
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Roost
- Psyshock
- Signal Beam

Guys I was looking at random pokemon cuz bored.

I noticed dunsparce can learn snore which has a 30% (AKA 60% with serene grace) chance to flinch.

So pretty reliable 100% recovery + a stab 100% accuracy flinch move that can be spammed

I don't have much competitive pokemon experience but this seems like something that has potential if setup properly.
Not exactly 100% sure what other moves/stat setups would be optimal for this kind of build.

This of course relies on outspeeding foes to make flinching an option. Dunsparce has sad speed so sticky web support, speed berry or agility might be a good idea.

I'm also wondering whether assault vest stacks with rock+sandstorm. Seems to me like you could create one heck of a special tank with that combo. This might be nice on regirock actually although other good contenders are probopass and gigalith due to being able to abuse sand force.

Last edited:

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
Guys I was looking at random pokemon cuz bored.

I noticed dunsparce can learn snore which has a 30% (AKA 60% with serene grace) chance to flinch.

So pretty reliable 100% recovery + a stab 100% accuracy flinch move that can be spammed

I don't have much competitive pokemon experience but this seems like something that has potential if setup properly.
Not exactly 100% sure what other moves/stat setups would be optimal for this kind of build.

This of course relies on outspeeding foes to make flinching an option. Dunsparce has sad speed so sticky web support, speed berry or agility might be a good idea.

I'm also wondering whether assault vest stacks with rock+sandstorm. Seems to me like you could create one heck of a special tank with that combo. This might be nice on regirock actually although other good contenders are probopass and gigalith due to being able to abuse sand force.
There's a few minor problems with this.

First one being that you have to safely pass an Agility into a Dunsparce, as Salac Berry / Sticky Web won't give Dunsparce enough of a leg-up to outspeed everything it needs to. If you're going to go through all the trouble of passing +2 speed, it might as well be from a Shell Smash, at which point, you sit and ask yourself why you're SmashPassing to a Dunsparce and not something like Gallade or Xatu.

The second problem is that you have to be asleep in order to use the move you want. If Dunsparce switches in with the boosts, immediately uses Rest, and gets Snore to flinch the opponent both times.. well, it can't Rest again as it'll be at full HP.

Last problem is, even if this all works out perfectly, it's still only a 60% chance to flinch each turn. There's a reason why Jirachi is so good (well, a whole fuck ton of reasons, actually) but even on sets where the main goal is to ParaFlinch the opponent, Jirachi isn't a sitting duck if it fails to flinch that turn - something Dunsparce is sadly.

Assault Vest does indeed "stack", meaning it adds an additional 1.5x multiplier to SDef. The problem with the Pokemon you listed is (aside from maaaybe Regirock) is that they want to use their support movepools to help the team (that's their best niche), and they have no way to recover HP, so they are vulnerable to getting HP chipped away at. Oh, and Sandstorm isn't very viable in NU atm, and if it was, you would much rather be using your limited Sandstorm turns sweeping with Stoutland or Sandslash.

Anyway, hope this helped! I really enjoyed your post because it's the first time in my life I've ever seen someone call Rest "100% reliable recovery" :)

Welcome to Smogon!

There's a few minor problems with this.

First one being that you have to safely pass an Agility into a Dunsparce, as Salac Berry / Sticky Web won't give Dunsparce enough of a leg-up to outspeed everything it needs to. If you're going to go through all the trouble of passing +2 speed, it might as well be from a Shell Smash, at which point, you sit and ask yourself why you're SmashPassing to a Dunsparce and not something like Gallade or Xatu.

The second problem is that you have to be asleep in order to use the move you want. If Dunsparce switches in with the boosts, immediately uses Rest, and gets Snore to flinch the opponent both times.. well, it can't Rest again as it'll be at full HP.

Last problem is, even if this all works out perfectly, it's still only a 60% chance to flinch each turn. There's a reason why Jirachi is so good (well, a whole fuck ton of reasons, actually) but even on sets where the main goal is to ParaFlinch the opponent, Jirachi isn't a sitting duck if it fails to flinch that turn - something Dunsparce is sadly.

Assault Vest does indeed "stack", meaning it adds an additional 1.5x multiplier to SDef. The problem with the Pokemon you listed is (aside from maaaybe Regirock) is that they want to use their support movepools to help the team (that's their best niche), and they have no way to recover HP, so they are vulnerable to getting HP chipped away at. Oh, and Sandstorm isn't very viable in NU atm, and if it was, you would much rather be using your limited Sandstorm turns sweeping with Stoutland or Sandslash.

Anyway, hope this helped! I really enjoyed your post because it's the first time in my life I've ever seen someone call Rest "100% reliable recovery" :)

Welcome to Smogon!

Thanks for busting my silly ideas.

Well its not like you need to spam snore from the outset. You could lead with other attacks such as the classic rock slide or headbutt if you have no fear of ghosts/rocks or scrapmetal for some crazy reason. If you manage to clear out your foes ghosts you might be able to pull off a set where you use both body slam, snore and sticky web. In this case there is a decent chance of being able to outspeed your foes. Although I have a feeling I am heavily overestimating dunsparces bulk. Its good but its by no means brilliant and it still has to wait 3 turns before it can fully heal. Especially if your foe has fighting moves then you could get screwed pretty hard. Anyway this is A LOT of setup for a dunsparce sweep.

Well I meant 100% in the sense that it doesn't have any accuracy issues or relies on certain conditions such as weather. But yeah its a bit silly :P to call it 100%.

I find it quite surprising that the tyranitar doesn't have a tactical vest setup honestly. Seems like the kind of setup that could easily force many switches which is handy if you have pursuit. But eh he isn't very NU.

Last edited:
Advice on how to round out this team? You can assume I'm using the standard set off the site unless I say something otherwise. Looking to go for a balanced rather standard team I can eventually build off. Haven't played a lot since BW2 so very little experience. Tried out Lanturn and didn't like it, testing Malamar now.

CB Sawk/Physically Defensive Xatu/AV Magmortar/SD LO Mawile/Physically Defensive Weezing with taunt, WoW, Sludge Bomb and Tspikes.

Suggestions for other stuff are nice too!

Orphic

perhaps
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
perhaps a Regirock to set Stealth Rocks and provide Twave support for your slow attackers like Magmortar and Mawile as well as for Sawk.

What are some good checks to Ludicolo? I noticed that my team is extremely weak to it. In your answer, please give at least 2-3 checks and some calc to prove that it can check Ludicolo. Also, try to find a good check that can deal with a Ludicolo in the rain. Thanks in advance!

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
What are some good checks to Ludicolo? I noticed that my team is extremely weak to it. In your answer, please give at least 2-3 checks and some calc to prove that it can check Ludicolo. Also, try to find a good check that can deal with a Ludicolo in the rain. Thanks in advance!
If you're looking to check or counter a specific Pokemon, just check the victim of the week thread. Here's the post where I complied the 3 best (to some subjectivity) checks and counters to Ludicolo, and you can look at the calcs and explanations in the posts before it.
http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...-life-orb-haunter.3537293/page-3#post-6261301

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The ones bolts has above are good, but they don't have the best catch all weather check ever!

Aurorus @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Blizzard
- Freeze-Dry
- Ancient Power
- Earth Power

Snow Warning means that as soon as you come in w/e weather you're facing is gone. Choice Scarf means you outspeed all of the common weather sweepers while freeze dry is good for ludicolo in particular. Now you can't actually switch into Ludicolo, but you get rid of the weather and force a switch and pretty much have an auto win against most weather teams if you play well.

The ones bolts has above are good, but they don't have the best catch all weather check ever!

Aurorus @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Blizzard
- Freeze-Dry
- Ancient Power
- Earth Power

Snow Warning means that as soon as you come in w/e weather you're facing is gone. Choice Scarf means you outspeed all of the common weather sweepers while freeze dry is good for ludicolo in particular. Now you can't actually switch into Ludicolo, but you get rid of the weather and force a switch and pretty much have an auto win against most weather teams if you play well.
I had posted Aurorus on the topic, btw.

Two sets that i suggest

Xatu @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 180 Def / 80 Spe
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Thunder Wave
- Psychic
- Roost
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Roost
- Psyshock
- Signal Beam
Wow is Uturn not viable in Nu with xatu? I figured support poke t wave and uturn out but I guess giga takes on hazard setters. And would cm work with this sneasle meta?

Last edited:

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Wow is Uturn not viable in Nu with xatu? I figured support poke t wave and uturn out but I guess giga takes on hazard setters. And would cm work with this sneasle meta?
Xatu @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 136 HP / 196 Def / 176 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- U-turn
- Roost
- Psyshock

don't listen to these niggas, lol. U-turn Xatu is both really good and totally viable. This is the most optimal EV spread for pretty much all Xatu's to be running right now imo, although you can opt to outrun Jolly Gallade if you don't mind losing a ton of bulk.

I'm curious, If NU stayed the same as it is now and Hitmonchan dropped; what set would it run ? and how viable would it be ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)