Ask a Simple Question Get a Simple Answer - RU Edition

I am trying to think up a new team. The general idea is that Slowking and Druddigon paralyse the opposing team before slow Sweepers hit them hard. I have a few questions for anyone who has made similar teams:

1. As Choice Banded Esca will be on the team how much speed investment will he need? I don't think he will be outspeeding even paralysed opponents.

2. What set would fit Rhydon best? I was thinking an all out attacker but I am not too sure.

3. As I have the aforementioned 4 pokemon and a speedy backup cleaner (Probably Sceptile or one of the speedy Normal Types) What would be a good pokemon for the sixth slot. I really can't think of one at the moment.
If you want to run speed Escavalier should probably run 84 speed EVs to catch Slowking, which could be a problem with the basis of your team, because it getting paralyzed is almost a waste of a turn. I'm pretty sure getting enough for Slowking will outpace most of the paralyzed metagame other than Aerodactyl and Accelgor.

All-Out Attacker Rhydon will probably be the best way to go. However, Stealth Rock + 3 Attacks may also be good because Glare Druddigon can be hard pressed to fit Stealth Rock on its moveset. Also, running an Eviolite means you can take more hits from fast Flying types, especially Swellow.

Finally, for the last slot, a Pokemon, preferably a bulky one, with spikes may help out. With several hazards, it will become a lot easier to clean with Sceptile and you will obtain more OHKOs with Rhydon and Escavalier. Qwilfish may help because it has Thunder Wave to spread paralysis even further and Spikes, although it may be redundant with Slowking. If Spikes isn't necessary, any Fire type will help out - you can create a FWG core with it. Magmortar in particular is very strong but a little on the slow side, meaning paralysis helps it out.

Hope this helps!

I am trying to think up a new team. The general idea is that Slowking and Druddigon paralyse the opposing team before slow Sweepers hit them hard. I have a few questions for anyone who has made similar teams:

1. As Choice Banded Esca will be on the team how much speed investment will he need? I don't think he will be outspeeding even paralysed opponents.

2. What set would fit Rhydon best? I was thinking an all out attacker but I am not too sure.

3. As I have the aforementioned 4 pokemon and a speedy backup cleaner (Probably Sceptile or one of the speedy Normal Types) What would be a good pokemon for the sixth slot. I really can't think of one at the moment.

1. Choice Band Escavalier evs in speed really depends of your weakness on your team but i hate really the lose of bulk into Escavalier because speed creep, for example to outrun Specs Slowking needs run 128 evs at least, the lost of bulk is quite appreciable.

2. Rhydon best rol is bulky tank and setupp Stealth Rock, so just run Stealth Rock, Earthquake, Rock Blast or Stone Edge are stapple this moves. And finally Fire Punch to deal better with Durant, Escavalier and Ferroseed or Megahorn, Dragon tail and Roar are decent options if you're running a bulky ev spread. If you need a sweeper and the sinergy / typing / bulk of Rhydon you can try Double Boost Rhydon @ Eviolite which is cool with Sword Dance | Earthquake | Stone Edge | Rock Polish and running 252 / 252 +

3. This depends totally of your team and this last mon usually are more standard mons oriented that needs check dangerous threats that you dont fixed. This last move also can be a Choice Scarf user like Revenge Killer or a glue in your team.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
@Magolor: Many things have already been suggested, but I'll chime in with a few others. The first would be the use of a moderately fast offensive Pokemon that appreciates paralysis support (typically with base 80 Speed or lower) This would include Gallade, Absol, Mesprit, and Samurott. (among many others) The next would be with Sceptile. It's a very solid speedy option and does appreciate having opposing Choice Scarf users paralyzed as well, ensuring that only priority users will outpace it. Finally, I would recommend you try Specs Slowking. Having experience with Specially Defensive Druddigon, I find that it paralyzes threats well enough on its own and the extra firepower from Specs Slowking can really help something like Absol or Sceptile pick up the pieces. That said, I would recommend the use of SR Rhydon (or Steelix if you're willing to put up with another Fire weakness) if you go this route as Druddigon would have to focus more on paralyzing the opposing team and will rarely have time to get SR down itself.
HTH (Hope this helped)

Okay guys, thanks for the help!

1. I did some speed Calcs and it turns out that even an uninvested Esca outspeeds most pokemon when Paralysed and the few that do Ecsa can take a hit from. think I'll invest in bulk rather than speed. If unparalysed Slowking start to become a problem I'll add the Evs to outspeed them.

2. At the moment I feel like the SR+3 Attacks set will work best as EQ/SE/Megahorn Is all I really nees in hindsight.

3. It seems that either Qwilfish or a moderate Sweeper like Gallade or Magmortar would be best. I'll try out the moderate sweepers to see if I need another paralyser or not.

Pretty much all of your suggestions will be tried out to get this team working.

Nidoqueen destroyed Ferroseed and Magneton. Plus a lot of people used Ferroseed wrong on the ladder and people started spreading around that it was bad. It was decent imo and it was even in c_l's rmt "Storm," but Nidoqueen's popularity made it even harder to use. Alomomola was always decent but thought to be outclassed by Poliwrath at the time. Back then a few people were obsessed with spreading around "shitty mons" so they weren't used much due to bad reps and NU status (in alomomola's case) lol. Moral of the story: test the mon yourself to see if it's good.

I agree with DittoCrow, with the popularity Nidoqueen in the BW2 metagame this makes Alomomola / Ferroseed very dedicated to stall team with a solid Nidoqueen counters like Gallade / Clefable (watch out of Focus Blast). Since balance teams had more problems handled Nidoqueen since just was hard to counter while that beat Ferroseed / Alomomola or just won a lot of momentum against this teams balance w/o a true counter, makes the utility of both of them out of stall team.

While that Magneton always had an unique niche, also in BW2 meta was better with the incorporation of Escavalier, Durant and Hail (Scarf Magne in Durant case and Resttalker in Hail). I had a good team with Magneton in Cresselia meta, but yeah now totally shines w/o Nidoqueen on the metagame.

What are the best 3 sun sweepers (give basic explanation) ?
Hard to choose only the 3 best sun sweepers, sunny sweepers mostly are divided between the fire types and the chlorophyll one; the best fire types for sun are: Charizard, Entei, Emboar and Moltres.
Since they fits well on teams like Emboar or Entei, strong like Moltres or in the case of Charizard with Solar Power !
About the best chlorophyll sweepers probably the best are: Lilligant, Tangrowth, Exeggutor, Sawsbuck and Victreebel.
Lilligant, Exeggutor and Victreebel since Sleep Powder, Hidden Power Fire boosted and Solar Beam, on the Vic case Weather Ball which hits harder. Tangrowth can work well with Growth since is bulkier than the rest and can work like physical / mixed or special sweeper.
Finally Sawsbuck is probably the best physical sunny day sweeper since in Sun is super fast, Sword Dance with an Adamant Nature hits very strong.

What makes Glaceon more threatening than other special attackers like Tangrowth and Magmortar?
Glaceon has the higher SpA avalaible on RU tier, if you add to this: Blizzard which is gonna never miss on Hail (the only bad is that requires hail totally) also residual damage of hail in opponent mon which is gonna cancel leftovers on stuff like Lanturn (aparently stuff that should be best checks of Glaceon) while you health a bit HP thanks to Ice Body makes Glaceon totally a pain for any team with really a few checks just Specs Glaceon doesnt requires much predictions, is just spam Blizzard or Baton Pass to scout SpD Escavalier / Slowking wall while the rest of mons that you mentions in the Tangrowth case is slower, lower SpA, worst accuracy with moves such Focus Blast, Sleep Powder or Leaf Storm while that Magmortar is faster but has a bit worst SpA and requires a bit better prediction.

Glaceon is only considered on Hail teams, where outclassed them in terms of "wallbreaking" with a Choice Specs, while SubProtect and Scarf are still effective.

In hail, Glaceon has a 100% accurate 120 Base Power STAB move coming off of higher base SpA than any Pokemon in RU (130). This makes it 2HKO what were thought to be counters like Escavalier with a Choice Specs set. Glaceon is just really hard to switch into because it is so powerful and so few Pokemon can actually take its Blizzards (plus more Blizzards from a teammate like Rotom-F). I wouldn't say that it's more threatening because each of the Pokemon you listed have different roles, but this is why Glaceon is so fearsome nonetheless.

What is the conclusion of hail suspect and is there a link to the vote ?
At the moment the voting is going on, sobthere has yet to be an answer. Also, you can only vote if you submitted in the Hail Suspect Alt Indentification thread. The threadbis located in the Policy Review forums and soon there should be a definte answer

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Psylink said:
Is there going to be more Suspect Tests after the Hail Ban? I got a good ladder score, so yeah.
That is up to the RU council to decide, but I would guess no, as the meta is currently extremely balanced (ie. nothing is broken). Also, at start of suspect, the ladder is reset, so you would have to reattain that high score regardless.

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Could someone explain to me how Cinccino works in RU? Each time I face it it doesn't even get to do something.

Could someone explain to me how Cinccino works in RU? Each time I face it it doesn't even get to do something.
Cinccino's main role is that of a fast, frail, physical attacker whose main draw is that it can blast through Substitutes with most of its moves thanks to Skill Link - Tail Slap, Rock Blast, Bullet Seed have OK coverage, and all have a technical 125 base power, meaning that a Sub will not aid in giving a buffer for a Cinccino switch-in. It can also gain momentum with one of the fastest U-turns in the tier, while flat out destroying lead Smeargle with its Skill Link shenanigans, while 115 base speed is going to outpace almost everything in the tier. However, it is rather one-dimensional and pretty much gets walled by all Steel- and Ghost-types in the tier, as well as most physical walls that aren't weak to any of its moves, making it much more effective against less bulky teams and late-game, as against stall/balance and early game it doesn't do much, and it gets OHKOed by a lot of stuff that makes it hard to switch in, which may be why it is incapable of doing anything so often.

Most Cinccino hold Life Orbs or Choice Bands, although Scarf is an occasional thing.

I hope I cleared things up!

After seeing some talk of this in the UU viability ranking thread, I was wondering what the viability of Adamant Electivire is in RU.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
After seeing some talk of this in the UU viability ranking thread, I was wondering what the viability of Adamant Electivire is in RU.
Unfortunately, Electivire as a whole isn't that viable in RU. There are many Electric-types to compete with in RU and not nearly as many in UU. Electivire's best shot at standing out in RU is a mixed attacking set as virtually no other Electric-type in RU is able to go that route and physical walls such as Tangrowth and Steelix would just shit on it otherwise. It's usable, but not nearly as good in RU as it can be in UU due to the vast amount of viable Electric-types here in RU.

Unfortunately, Electivire as a whole isn't that viable in RU. There are many Electric-types to compete with in RU and not nearly as many in UU. Electivire's best shot at standing out in RU is a mixed attacking set as virtually no other Electric-type in RU is able to go that route and physical walls such as Tangrowth and Steelix would just shit on it otherwise. It's usable, but not nearly as good in RU as it can be in UU due to the vast amount of viable Electric-types here in RU.
I agree with most of your points, but I am wondering the viability of Adamant Electivire, not Electivire as a whole.

EonX

Battle Soul
@Magcargo 2, part of the reason Electivire can run an Adamant nature in UU is because it just falls short of the base 100 threshold, an important benchmark in UU. However, Electivire's ability to outspeed Moltres, Lilligant, and any positive base 80 Speed Pokemon such as Gallade, Kabutops, and non-Scarf Braviary unconditionally with a Speed boosting nature is vital to any success it can have in RU. Because of this, Adamant (or Naughty for that matter) Electivire isn't very effective due to the inability to outspeed these threats.

I agree with most of your points, but I am wondering the viability of Adamant Electivire, not Electivire as a whole.
I've never tried it out, but Adamant (or really any non speed boosting nature) does seem like it would miss out quite a bit. You miss Drapion (meh), other Electivire (meh), Rotom (this may be annoying), Rotom-C (usually has a Scarf), Hitmomlee (usually had Unburden), Moltres (this is bad), Lilligant (this is almost as bad), Adamant Entei (this is sort of bad but it will just Espeed anyway) and I think Magmortar (this is also annoying)

It may help get extra KOs but you need to decide if it is worth missing out on these foes. I would usually say no, but considering how many KOs are so close its not useless!

EDIT: @EonX- Adamant Electivire outspeeds positive natures base 80s

Last edited:
hi, was wondering what would be a great counter to the amoonguss/slowking core? regenerator just makes it so darn hard to break down :/ only thing i can think of is perhaps magmortar haha

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)