Resource Ask a simple question get a simple answer: RU edition

Senpai D.M

さようなら
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Why is Swanna unranked on RU viability rankins? I've been testing it and I can't see why. Pelipper is bulkier but Swanna has a bigger offensive pressure and 98 for a speed tier is quite nice, although Flygon outspeed it
I agree with it being viable, you should give it a nom in viability ranking. I'm glad Pelipper picked up as well :]

fran17

(1999)
Hey JuanchoTacorta, you can just do a nomination of your own posting in this thread, although you should give some arguments that aren't "it can break stall with hurricane confuse" since it is a poor argument :(
By the way a replay of a team with Maractus and Coil LO Eeleektross isn't probably the best to showcase Swanna's potential. Also your opponent probably had a bad Mola spread, since standard set isn't 2HKOed by Hurricane, and can just toxic stall it.

Quick question: Sheer Force LO Braviary. Can it work? Should it work? Please bear in mind I'm not completely sure how Defiant works with stuff like Superpower, so if it's suboptimal please do say. =]

The set I've been running is as follows:
Braviary @ Life Orb
Brave Bird (I know it doesn't really fit the set, but there's no other Flying STAB moves on your man here)
Superpower/Shadow Claw (I tend to vary it up a bit)
Crush Claw (it does roughly the same damage on an LO set as Return and has no Recoil because it's affected by Sheer Force, so that's nice)
Rock Slide (no explanation necessary)

Could someone who knows what they're talking about tell me if I'm being an idiot?

Lord Death Man

i cant read
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
The problem with Sheer Force is that Crush Claw can miss and the lack of LO recoil is about as big of a deal as potentially missing, Rock Slide hits nothing important your stabs don't, and Brave Bird doesn't care. Since Brave Bird/Return/Superpower is the best coverage to begin with and doesn't not hit anything neutrally (the only thing you REALLY want to hit that those don't is Bronzong, anyway). Roost and U-turn are so much more useful than Rock Slide ever is as well.

I have gotten randomly bopped by life orb sheer force Heat Wave (which takes 116 special attack just to 2hko mega steelix, which is sad because it only really hits two big targets), while Defiant lets you really punish your opponent for daring to remove hazards, carrying an intimidate mon as a key part of their defensive core, having to rely on potential drops to get a kill (Aromatisse's Moonblast), and so on.

It seems interesting on paper, but the lack of useful moves to take advantage of, plus the already decent base power of existing moves that don't, makes it kind of useless in function.

fran17

(1999)
Qwilfish is one of the best spiker in the tier as it can fit greatly almost every playstyle, I think Mega Glalie and Ferroseed are good too, and Garbodor is decent. LO Accelgor can work great as an offensive spiker too

Ping_Pong_Along

Bitches love underscores
Roselia's pretty solid as well, especially on defensive teams. For just tspikes, there's Drapion, Cofagrigus, and Weezing.

What would be the most preferred amount of Speed EVs to run on Mixed offense Mega-Abomasnow?
Actually should I even bother with Mixed? maybe I should run fully Special offense with Ice Shard.

What would be the most preferred amount of Speed EVs to run on Mixed offense Mega-Abomasnow?
Actually should I even bother with Mixed? maybe I should run fully Special offense with Ice Shard.
You could try using this set:

Abomasnow-Mega @ Abomasite
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 16 HP / 156 Atk / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
Mild Nature
- Blizzard
- Wood Hammer
- Ice Shard
- Focus Blast

156 Attack EVs OHKO uninvested Flygon all the time, max Special Attack for highest damage output in blizzard, 84 speed to outspeed uninvested base 40 speed mons and rest is on HP for slight bulk while still maintaining an odd HP number for rocks. Blizzard and Wood Hammer are your strongest STABs, Ice Shard provides a priority move, and Focus Blast for general coverage.

Last edited:
You could try using this set:

Abomasnow-Mega @ Abomasite
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 16 HP / 156 Atk / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
- Blizzard
- Wood Hammer
- Ice Shard
- Focus Blast

156 Attack EVs OHKO uninvested Flygon all the time, max Special Attack for highest damage output in blizzard, 84 speed to outspeed uninvested base 40 speed mons and rest is on HP for slight bulk while still maintaining an odd HP number for rocks. Blizzard and Wood Hammer are your strongest STABs, Ice Shard provides a priority move, and Focus Blast for general coverage.
what nature?

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Mild nature. Mega Abomasnow can use its spdef and typing to check water types and mons like rotom-cut really well so go with that. Its typing doesnt let it check anything physical well with the plethora of weaknesses it has.

Of the three Pokemon in E rank currently, which one is generally considered the worst/is the most outclassed/has the least relevant niche/whatever?

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
Of the three Pokemon in E rank currently, which one is generally considered the worst/is the most outclassed/has the least relevant niche/whatever?
I honestly think Typhlosion is the worst E rank. While Cincinno and Ambipom don't have niches, Typh is just NO NICHE. EVERY FIRE TYPE outclasses him, while Cincinno has Skill Link to be a bad lead at least and Ambipom has Technician. They're all bad, and nobody should use them, but imo Typh is the worst.

where would you put bouffalant in the viability tier?
niches : taking on bulky grasses, tang and amoongus. being immune to explouds signiture move.

Lord Death Man

i cant read
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
It used to be ranked C or D but isn't anymore. While it does have interesting niches of checking bulky grasses OR exploud (and to a lesser extent, Meloetta), other mons, like Escavalier, can do both at the same time better, while sub SD no longer has the same matchup against stall it used to have that made it so scary.

I'd probably put it in either C or D.

How did the E rank mons become E rank? Looking at last gen (I admit a crap ton has changed) they were at least viable. Typhlosion was mid C, Cinccino was top A and Ambipom was very high B rank in UU. Typhlosion is now outclassed by other special fire types, I get that. But I don't see how the roles that both Cin and Ambi did last year just dissipated in uselessness

scpinion

Life > Monotype... unfortunately :)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm not an expert like others that will reply, but it is really hard for Ambi and Cinccino to succeed in a tier where Mega-Steelix is ever-present.

So can somebody describe the meta to me? Like, in terms of what works and wha doesn't work?

And yes I know not to touch ambipom, typhlosion, or cinc

How did the E rank mons become E rank? Looking at last gen (I admit a crap ton has changed) they were at least viable. Typhlosion was mid C, Cinccino was top A and Ambipom was very high B rank in UU. Typhlosion is now outclassed by other special fire types, I get that. But I don't see how the roles that both Cin and Ambi did last year just dissipated in uselessness
Zangoose and Tauros makes much better work being normal types sweepers. Ambipom could have a niche with its Tecnician Fake Out but people use it so badly (Using Fake Out when Return kills for example) it's E rank. Cincinno is just a piece of trash, but nooby players keep using King's Rock on it for some reason

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Ambipom was E rank in UU last gen, it was pretty much considered as bad in UU last gen as it was this gen, it gets used by newer players cause omg cute monkey, but it's pretty mediocre. Typh was like B in ru last gen, but now Houndoom and Delphox exist, Delphox alone leaves it with almost 0 niche. Cinccino is really hurt by the state of the Meta, and was not high A last gen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)