Resource Ask a simple question get a simple answer: RU edition

So is a Sheer Force Steelix at all viable? I'm getting back into RU for the first time since late XY so forgive me if this is fairly obvious. I've been using one to decent success on ladder but it was pretty low down so you can get away with garbage sets sometimes.
Steelix @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Crunch
- Ice Fang
- Earthquake
Iron Head and Earthquake for STAB, Crunch for Jellicent, and Ice Fang for Flygon and other misc stuff.

Also, I know for sure this set is trashy, but it's kind of fun for a joke team:
Smeargle @ Custap Berry
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Endure
- Explosion
- Magic Coat
You BD on something that doesn't hit you, Endure the next hit, then priority Explosion for some big(ish) damage. The difficulty is getting off the BD but if you do, it actually hurts and OHKOs stuff like defensive Tangrowth, Amoonguss, Escavalier, etc.

Last edited:
So is a Sheer Force Steelix at all viable? I'm getting back into RU for the first time since late XY so forgive me if this is fairly obvious. I've been using one to decent success on ladder but it was pretty low down so you can get away with garbage sets sometimes.
Steelix @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Crunch
- Ice Fang
- Earthquake
Iron Head and Earthquake for STAB, Crunch for Jellicent, and Ice Fang for Flygon and other misc stuff.
It is viable, but not with the set you posted imo. If you're going physical, you should go mega-lix imo. If you however want to surprise molas, growths, zongs, other lixes, and some rhyperiors, you should go special. There's a team with some success that I also saw being used in this ladder that is here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/tacticat-currently-5.3543017/

Also, I know for sure this set is trashy, but it's kind of fun for a joke team:
Smeargle @ Custap Berry
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Endure
- Explosion
- Magic Coat
You BD on something that doesn't hit you, Endure the next hit, then priority Explosion for some big(ish) damage. The difficulty is getting off the BD but if you do, it actually hurts and OHKOs stuff like defensive Tangrowth, Amoonguss, Escavalier, etc.
I'm only replying this because you said it's for a joke team (otherwise I'd say don't use it).

This is very tough to pull but if you pull off the bd, why not go for the espeed + coverage? That gives you a chance to sweep, unlike the set you have that makes it really tough to set up only to boom immediatly.

Ping_Pong_Along

Bitches love underscores
Where can I find a tutor for this tier? And how does the tutor system work?
Unfortunately, you just missed the sign ups for this month's tutor program. Here's a link to the tutor schedule: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/2015-battling-101-schedule.3524485/#post-6443666

If you're looking for help on anything specific, you can reach out to people on Showdown.

Here are some helpful links to familiarize yourself with the tier.
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ru-viability-ranking-thread-special-dragon-edition.3538036/
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/oras-ru-role-compendium-v2.3550466/
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ru-speed-tiers.3523914/
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/team-style-analysis-semistallin.3545363/

Hope this helps!

phantom

Banned deucer.
Sigilyph with Calm Mind Psycho Shift Flame Orb or Life Orb three attacks with Psychic / Heat Wave / Air Slash / Roost also works.

SubCm Focus Blast Meloetta can also put in work, but it has a lot more trouble swapping in.

Does anyone have an offensive Pokemon that can smash the regenerator core of Alomamola and amoongus, and can also take care of mega steelix?
Specs Exeggutor, Specs Meloetta, Freeze Dry Mega Glalie, Substitute/Calm Mind Delphox or Meloetta, and Substitue/Bulk Up Braviary to name a few.

Specs Exeggutor, Specs Meloetta, Freeze Dry Mega Glalie, Substitute/Calm Mind Delphox or Meloetta, and Substitue/Bulk Up Braviary to name a few.
Some of these aren't exactly true. Braviary is roared out by steelix, specs exeggutor can only really take on one of them at a time, and Glailie can't even touch steelix outside of an eq that does like 30%. I guess cm phox and meloetta would work, but I think I'm gonna run Cm/heat wave/roost/psychic siglyph.

scpinion

Life > Monotype... unfortunately :)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I asked in the chat room earlier and no one knew so we will try here:

PS! recommends 3 Atks + Roost Sigi w/ 252 SpA / 36 SpD / 220+ Spe. Anyone know what the 36 SpD EVs are for? Is it even worth it?

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Maybe it is a case of the teambuilder recommending an old spread from previous generations, most likely is a spread that was used in 5th gen and stayed as a recommendation on the teambuilder for whatever reason. The same happens when you want to use a set with haxorus, it recommends 252 atk, 36 def, 220 speed adamant.

Just go max special attack on speed on sigilyph btw. Getting outspeed by drapion and houndoom is a no no

Lord Death Man

i cant read
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
I think that set is going to be fixed eventually. That speed amount is to speed tie (?) with base 93s, which is Magmar and Unfeazant. One of the most confusing things the teambuilder does in all honesty.

It's hard to say, as Meloetta is pretty versatile and most of her sets can be argued for her best, but imo her SubCM or Specs set is the best.

phantom

Banned deucer.
Whether or not a set is most effective has little to to with meeting the needs of a team, it has more to do with how well it fits on a team and how well it functions when doing so. The functionality is really the most important part, so I wouldn't place a rather hit or miss set such as AV Meloetta up there. That said, Calm Mind sets are the best, those with Colbur Berry and Calm Mind, Psychic, Dazzling Gleam/Shadow Ball, and Focus Blast in particular are especially threatening as it's both hard to KO, allowing Meloetta to use its bulk and ability to temporarily absorb a Dark move such as Houndoom's Dark Pulse, Spiritomb's Sucker Punch, and Drapion's Knock Off to punch some holes in offense, while still having the brute force at +1 to tear apart defensive cores.

So I'm making a offensive mega steelix for trick room it has a brave nature and sturdy
What should be the best moveset?
Gyro ball
Earthquake
Rock slide/ rock blast/stone edge(honestly I don't like either but they all have strong and weak points)
Ice fang/crunch/aqua tail
Or maybe I should put rest or toxic in case I predict a switch into something that can destroy me?

Ping_Pong_Along

Bitches love underscores
Don't use Gyro Ball. Heavy Slam is way better. Earthquake is good. Then it's your choice between Rock Slide and Stone Edge. With Trick Room up, Rock Slide gives a flinch chance and is more accurate, so I'd probably go with that. If you don't have stealth rock on anything else, you should probably have that as the last move. If not, Toxic is probably the way to go.

lighthouses

Inordinary
is a Tiering Contributor
Heavy Slam, stone edge and crunch on the last slot
I wouldnt recommend ever running base steelix on a offensive team though

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)