Ask simple questions here! [READ ORIGINAL POST before posting]

Sondero

Don't you dare say you'd rather lose!
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
How is it decided which tier a Pokémon is placed in?
Which tier a Pokemon is put in is primarily based on their usage statistics. The more people use a Pokemon, the higher tier that Pokemon is put in. Ubers is the exception, because Pokemon in OU can only be banned to ubers if they're deemed too good by the OU council. There's also some other exceptions like this, like if a Pokemon is deemed too strong for a lower format, it'll be banned from a tier and only be usable in the tiers above, even if it has the usage for the lower tier. For example, if a Pokemon is deemed too strong for UU, it'll be put in UUBL, and thus only be usable in OU and above.

You can read more about tiers and such here: https://www.smogon.com/bw/articles/bw_tiers, or here: https://www.smogon.com/ingame/battle/tiering-faq

How is it decided which tier a Pokémon is placed in?
To elaborate on what Sondero said, usage is based on their tier that a Pokemon is currently in. If a Pokemon isn't used much in OU, then it drops to UU. If that same Pokemon is not used much in UU either, it drops further to RU, and so on until it (hopefully) finds a tier in which it is used.

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Is there a place that explains why there are no plans to add a friends list to Showdown?
There are plans to add a friends list, it cant be done until the client refactor is complete though. That will take some time since its just Zarel working on it when he has time.

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
How long do the teambuilder and the /dt command usually take to update after tiers change?
1. No set time, server (/dt) updates with a hotpatch formats, client updates when zarel updates it.
2. afaik we didnt, pokemon just lets us exist.
3. not sure, seems like they are from X/Y to me though.

So I was wondering if there was anyway to pull up the ladder rankings from previous dates? I hit number one on the BSS ladder last November and I want to show a friend I did but I don’t have a picture for it.

Hecate

Be the serpent under't
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmer
PS Admin
What was the main reason why most people moved to Showdown! from Online?
at a guess, both because PS became Smogon’s official sim and since it honestly works better than PO.
Though, the question is mostly opinion so that’s my best guess.

at a guess, both because PS became Smogon’s official sim and since it honestly works better than PO.
Though, the question is mostly opinion so that’s my best guess.
Was there any reason Smogon decided we needed a different official simulator?

Problem is you play the same people mostly and battle spot is more difficult because you would rarely ever play the Same person twice so you will never know what to expect and makes it way harder.
I thought I was asking about Showdown! and Online. What does Battle Spot have to do with any of this? If you mean people moved to Showdown! because Online didn't have Battle Spot, then I don't think that's the main reason, because BSS and BSD are far less popular compared to formats like OU and AG.

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
PS Admin
What was the main reason why most people moved to Showdown! from Online?
I did some digging.

Firstly, PO was a downloaded client, meaning you had to download updates whenever one was avalible to stay up-to-date. PS's web based client dosen't require this.
Secondly and far more importantly, PS was made with smogon in mind. The PO devs had their own priorities and server, leaving smogon PO in the hands of Antar (who was not really qualified to run the server, his words not mine). Because of this the smogon PO server often struggled with spammers, lag, and server crashes. A dedicated developer was needed. PS not only offered a focus on smogon, it had a dedicated developer who would run, maintain, and update it - Zarel.

Kirkburn

Banned deucer.
Hello. How do you make a tournament on Showdown? I know there is a guide somewhere but I don't remember where it was.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)