Item Assault Vest

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's not a lot that separates him from Tentacruel, but his power is definitely something. Tentacruel can't really hurt common spinblockers with knock off but Armaldo can cause serious damage, and can also fill a far more offensive role than Tentacruel (who relies on either toxic or weak attacks). Armaldo also has more mixed defenses (though they're overall inferior to Tentacruel's) which is more fitting to the role of a pokemon that has to take both special and physical attacks.
There are small things as well, like priority, x1.5 SpD in sandstorm, doubled speed in rain and few exploitable weaknesses.
I won't lie though, Armaldo is outclassed. In OU I don't see him being very useful other than in dedicated rain teams maybe. However, Armaldo could probably find use in lower tiers. Sandslash offers serious competition though.
Realistically, Sandslash is almost certainly a better AV Spinner than Armaldo. He does have better special bulk than Sandslash and more Attack, but his typing is honestly awful (resists Normal and Poison, Neutral/Weak to everything else.) I don't think the Swift Swim niche is enough for him.

Though it's not like either of these Pokemon has realistic OU chances. Armaldo has too many flaws to ignore, while Sandslash is basically entirely outclassed by Donphan (who's a bit iffy anyway.)

Actually, that could be an interesting concept. (Sorry in advance for posting an idea twice, for I have not read this entire thread)

Imagine having a Klutz Swoobat with Assault Vest and Trick.

~Outspeeds walls
~Assault Vest disables an inevitable Thunder Wave or Substitute, and traps them to Seismic Toss or whatever

A set I can imagine being fun to use, very unexpected, too:

Swoobat @ Assault Vest
Ability: Klutz
EVS: Who cares
Something Nature
- Trick
- Psychic
- Air Slash
- Substitute / Thunder Wave / Calm Mind / Skill Swap

The last move decides the fate of the switch-in, who will either have a sub to deal with, paralysis, possibly a strong attacker, or the Klutz ability, which could ruin some other Pokemon, and give potential to the Swoobat.

A combination of two moves in the fourth slot could also work. Substitute and Thunder Wave could be very troublesome together, overall just ruining one wall and crippling the switch-in.

Very interesting thought!

[EDIT]: Also, Lopunny could use this strategy, too.

- Switcheroo
- Thunder Wave / Toxic
- Healing Wish
- Return

It would ruin a wall, give status to something else, and fully heal any of your Pokemon. Could be useful! Probably not, though.
I'd replace psychic for psyshock on swoobat because tricking the assault vest is also going to boost their special defence which would lead to psychic doing a lot less damage.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
better question-- if you're going to use a Klutz-er, why would you use AV over a choice item? CS honestly screws defensive Pokemon more, and can also screw more offensive Pokemon.

I've been using the AV on entei and it's actually working out pretty well, the only problem is its mediocre base 85 defence stat because your EVs should be in speed and/or attack but entei's huge base 115 HP helps it tank physical attacks anyway.

passion

heavenly :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I've been using the AV on entei and it's actually working out pretty well, the only problem is its mediocre base 85 defence stat because your EVs should be in speed and/or attack but entei's huge base 115 HP helps it tank physical attacks anyway.

I agree with you the idea of AV Entei is pretty cool but you really went into no detail about spreads and why Entei should even be used so I hope you do not mind the fact that I am gonna elaborate on AV Entei. First of all as most of you know Entei is now able to use the move Sacred Fire which with the help of Entei's solid based 115 atk stat hits hard, only has 5 percent chance to miss, and has a 50% chance to burn which can annoy things that would switch into Entei such as Lando-t, Rotom-w, garchomp, etc. Also sacred fires extremely high burn rate gives you effectively more defense by cutting the opposing Pokemons attack in half. Entei also has great natural bulky (defenses: 115/85/75) which works well with the Assault Vest multiplying it's spdef by 1.5. Sadly everything has flaws and one of Entei's is it's weakness to stealth rocks which can be easily dealt with via defog users/rapid spinners. Now that I got the basic explanation over with I would like to get into the moveset and EV spread I recommend.

Entei @ Assault Vest

Ability: Pressure
EVs: 96 HP / 252 Atk / 160 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Extreme Speed
- Stone Edge
- Bulldoze / Iron Head

The EV spread is to speedcreep max speed adamant Excadrill and using the rest of the EVs to give Entei more bulk. Now for one of Entei's major flaws which is its movepool. Even if it now gets a new toy in Sacred Fire the movepool is ridiculously small. Sadly Entei does not get EQ so instead you are forced to deal with Bulldoze which instead of OHKOing Heatran only does 65.2 - 77.7%. Another viable option is Iron Head to hit things like Clefable, Terrakion, Sylveon, etc. One of the other flaws that come with Entei is his weakness to hazards stealth rocks in particular but this is pretty easily dealt with via defog/rapid spin users. Despite the flaws Entei has I strongly feel that this set is pretty damn strong and should definitely be used more often.

better question-- if you're going to use a Klutz-er, why would you use AV over a choice item? CS honestly screws defensive Pokemon more, and can also screw more offensive Pokemon.
I believe that's not entirely accurate though. Lets look at it like this:

Your Blissey is scarfed. It now can now not act in the role it is designed for but can do things still. It can still heal, wave, toxic, or whatever she is designed to do. Yet if you trick an AV, they are stuck to attacking. Thus making it un able to heal, toxic, or wave and for some pokemon like them, they run only one attack if at all, thus hindering them more.

Correct me if I'm wrong but this would seem like the better trick item over all.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Most of those utility moves are only good for one use, so if you trick them into it and force them to use it repeatedly or switch out, they are in a worse position. Moreover, locking the opponents into such moves gives you more opportunity for setting up on them than if you force them to only use attacking moves.

Also against ANY opponent that has more than 1 attacking move (which includes a greater variety of defensive Pokemon), CS is automatically better. AV being better is pretty limited.

Most of those utility moves are only good for one use, so if you trick them into it and force them to use it repeatedly or switch out, they are in a worse position. Moreover, locking the opponents into such moves gives you more opportunity for setting up on them than if you force them to only use attacking moves.

Also against ANY opponent that has more than 1 attacking move (which includes a greater variety of defensive Pokemon), CS is automatically better. AV being better is pretty limited.
I respect your points, but I am just offering that I know I have seen a few matches go sour (not mine but friends) due to a Blissey or so adding some invaluable support while choiced so I am just saying there is some room for it to be a great item albeit small.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
Of course there's always that possibility. I guess to me the bigger reality is that Klutz is a rare ability (and not a very good one overall considering that it means you can't abuse an item yourself) that exists only on Pokemon that are not that good themselves. Being forced to use it to abuse this switch is an issue both because you have to run something crappy like Zwoobat, but also because it becomes more predictable, and harder to get that item switched on the right target. It might be good in lower tiers where those Pokemon are good of their own right but in OU...

Of course there's always that possibility. I guess to me the bigger reality is that Klutz is a rare ability (and not a very good one overall considering that it means you can't abuse an item yourself) that exists only on Pokemon that are not that good themselves. Being forced to use it to abuse this switch is an issue both because you have to run something crappy like Zwoobat, but also because it becomes more predictable, and harder to get that item switched on the right target. It might be good in lower tiers where those Pokemon are good of their own right but in OU...

Oh of course man! Im just giving the idea that even if its not directly viable in OU, it is always worth a mention as Klutz users always seem to gravitate toward NU and all. While it may not be seen, it is still something that I think could be worrisome and worth saying.

I agree with you the idea of AV Entei is pretty cool but you really went into no detail about spreads and why Entei should even be used so I hope you do not mind the fact that I am gonna elaborate on AV Entei. First of all as most of you know Entei is now able to use the move Sacred Fire which with the help of Entei's solid based 115 atk stat hits hard, only has 5 percent chance to miss, and has a 50% chance to burn which can annoy things that would switch into Entei such as Lando-t, Rotom-w, garchomp, etc. Also sacred fires extremely high burn rate gives you effectively more defense by cutting the opposing Pokemons attack in half. Entei also has great natural bulky (defenses: 115/85/75) which works well with the Assault Vest multiplying it's spdef by 1.5. Sadly everything has flaws and one of Entei's is it's weakness to stealth rocks which can be easily dealt with via defog users/rapid spinners. Now that I got the basic explanation over with I would like to get into the moveset and EV spread I recommend.

Entei @ Assault Vest

Ability: Pressure
EVs: 96 HP / 252 Atk / 160 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Extreme Speed
- Stone Edge
- Bulldoze / Iron Head

The EV spread is to speedcreep max speed adamant Excadrill and using the rest of the EVs to give Entei more bulk. Now for one of Entei's major flaws which is its movepool. Even if it now gets a new toy in Sacred Fire the movepool is ridiculously small. Sadly Entei does not get EQ so instead you are forced to deal with Bulldoze which instead of OHKOing Heatran only does 65.2 - 77.7%. Another viable option is Iron Head to hit things like Clefable, Terrakion, Sylveon, etc. One of the other flaws that come with Entei is his weakness to hazards stealth rocks in particular but this is pretty easily dealt with via defog/rapid spin users. Despite the flaws Entei has I strongly feel that this set is pretty damn strong and should definitely be used more often.

Outside of PP issues with Sacred Fire, and the occasional flinch, Iron Head does not provide Entei with any vital coverage. Entei resists Fairies as is, and many are physically weak outside of certain Bold Magic Guard Clefables. Also, super effective Iron Head is only 10 BP more than STAB Sacred Fire, and isn't super effective against Azumarill either, so those points are kind of moot. Otherwise that is a fair analysis of Entei.

I haven't seen this set posted yet.

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Knock Off

I've been using this set for a while now and its become my favorite Azumarill set. Since Azumarill doesn't really need non-attacking moves this hardly bothers it. Being able to Knock Off items and be a team player by softening key opposing Pokemon. With decent bulk to begin with adding an Assault Vest lets it be a good pivot and a good check to several Pokemon. The EVs allow you to outspeed Chansey to avoid being crippled by status, max attack to hit things as hard as possible, and the rest is dumped into HP.

252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y in Sun: 194-230 (65.1 - 77.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
This is especially notable since Waterfall + Aqua Jet takes out Zard Y in the Sun.

252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 212 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Azumarill: 129-153 (32.7 - 38.8%) -- 99.1% chance to 3HKO
252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Flash Cannon vs. 212 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Azumarill: 129-153 (32.7 - 38.8%) -- 99.1% chance to 3HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Latios Thunderbolt vs. 212 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Azumarill: 238-280 (60.4 - 71%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+1 252+ SpA Life Orb Volcarona Giga Drain vs. 212 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Azumarill: 291-343 (73.8 - 87%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Hidden Power Grass vs. 212 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Azumarill: 174-211 (44.1 - 53.5%) -- 25% chance to 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 212 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Azumarill in Rain: 162-191 (41.1 - 48.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

What's the best EV spread for AV Escavalier (moves are knock off, megahorn, iron head, drill run)? Max HP max attack seems obvious, but I'm wondering if investing in defense might be more efficient, or if outspeeding forms of Reuniclus that don't have absolute minimum speed might also be.

Escavalier's HP is far below his defenses, it will always be optimal to invest in HP before either of his defenses. Adamant 252 HP / 252 At / 4 SpD should be fine, and I'd consider Facade in case he gets burned, or Pursuit. Reuniclus has no business facing you and isn't even common anymore.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
your set is the right idea Porce, with Jaroda 's EVs

Assault Vest is a really cool item on a ton of things. One thing that Super Mario Bro brought up in the C&C forum was Assault Vest Genesect, which is an awesome utilizer of the item. I'll just take a quote from the Genesect analysis thread:
Agent Gibbs said:
Oh wow, I didn't realize that Assault Vest hasn't been mentioned. I actually tried Assault Vest Genesect out a couple weeks ago on what started as a joke team full of Assault Vest Pokemon, but I ended up really liking the set. A 0/0 Genesect has about the equivalent of an impressive base 151 SpD stat with the Assault Vest equipped, and given Genesect's excellent offensive movepool, it doesn't really miss the lack of status moves. In fact, I'd argue that Genesect's movepool is one of the best ones out there for an Assault Vest user given the availability of STAB U-turn, great priority, and tons of excellent coverage options. Like Super Mario Bro mentioned, Assault Vest Genesect's solid special bulk and great defensive typing also makes it a great pivot against stuff like Lati@s, random Fairy- and Psychic-types, etc. I agree that it should get at least a Set Details mention on the attacker set, if not a slash.
Here are some calcs:

252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Genesect: 140-165 (49.4 - 58.3%) -- 98% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Latios Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Genesect: 111-131 (39.2 - 46.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (LO: 33.9 - 39.9%)
252 SpA Life Orb Deoxys-S Hidden Power Fire vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Genesect: 192-229 (67.8 - 80.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Genesect: 111-132 (39.2 - 46.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Genesect: 175-207 (61.8 - 73.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+3 252 SpA Manaphy Surf vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Genesect: 213-252 (75.2 - 89%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Genesect: 100-118 (35.3 - 41.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Genesect: 126-148 (44.5 - 52.2%) -- 21.5% chance to 2HKO (Specs: 65.7 - 77.7%)

Just from a glance, you can see how bulky AV Genesect is. It has an excellent defensive typing, and can take a number of special hits that foes won't expect to Genesect to take, and proceed to turn the momentum into the user's favor. It's basically the Expert Belt attacker with a twist: more special bulk. It works, and damn well, too. Maybe that's just because Genesect is god, but that's besides the point.

Escavalier's HP is far below his defenses, it will always be optimal to invest in HP before either of his defenses. Adamant 252 HP / 252 At / 4 SpD should be fine, and I'd consider Facade in case he gets burned, or Pursuit. Reuniclus has no business facing you and isn't even common anymore.
Not sure what moves to replace to make room for pursuit, knock off seems overall more useful. I like the idea of facade but again, that sacrifices a moveslot. I guess Iron Head isn't really necessary, but being walled by fairies and fighting types when not statused isn't too appealing.
And come to think of it, aren't most common burn inducers ghost types? Making facade useless aside from against scald spammers.

Last edited:
Not sure what moves to replace to make room for pursuit, knock off seems overall more useful. I like the idea of facade but again, that sacrifices a moveslot. I guess Iron Head isn't really necessary, but being walled by fairies and fighting types when not statused isn't too appealing.
And come to think of it, aren't most common burn inducers ghost types? Making facade useless aside from against scald spammers.
Numero uno would be Rotom-W easily. And I just said consider, not they were obviously better than what you listed.

This may seem a bit gimmicky, but Assault Vest Regice has SpD of 839 or something ludicrous like that. Here are some calcs.

252+ SpA Mega Alakazam Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Regice: 104-124 (28.5 - 34%) -- 1.4% chance to 3HKO
That is just crazy... I mean WOW.

Always!

WAGESLAVE
is a Tiering Contributor
This may seem a bit gimmicky, but Assault Vest Regice has SpD of 839 or something ludicrous like that. Here are some calcs.

252+ SpA Mega Alakazam Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Regice: 104-124 (28.5 - 34%) -- 1.4% chance to 3HKO
That is just crazy... I mean WOW.
That is interesting, and hilariously enough, despite Regice's mediocre typing defensively, it learns Boltbeam, and has a decent presence offensively, and best of all, it has 100 SpAtk and 100 Def. It can live a weaker SE hit with those stats.

In NU, this thing would be so OP, and it could have a small niche in OU with that stat. Although, Goodra kind of outclasses it.

I don't know if anyone has posted this yet but here we go...
Assault Vest Mr.Mime.

Yeah, I know what you're thinking. And I am not saying it's the best thing to use by no means. But in UU and eventually lower tiers it will be very good. This is what I am currently using.

Mr.Mime @ Assault Vest
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Sp.Atk
Bold Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Psychic
- Icy Wind
- Charge Beam

Someone might be able to think up a better set, but this has been working wonders for me, oddly enough. Icy Wind counters the lack of speed investments in Mr.Mime, even though he is still generally fast. It also pairs well with Technician. Charge Beam allows Mr.Mime to set-up if he so pleases, and once again Technician boosts it to respectable attack. Psychic/Dazzling Gleam are there just for stab moves.

I use to have Infestation on Mr.Mime (and it was actually AMAZING) but I didn't like how some times it only lasted like 1 turn. But seriously, Infestation might be a viable option for his moveset.

As for his EVs and nature, I wanted to give him as much physical bulk as possible. With Bold nature and 252HP/252Def he actually gets respectable bulk in Def and amazing bulk in Sp.Def. I know you might be skeptical but he can actually take physical hits with this set! (A +2attack Adamant Caracosta Aqua Jet doesn't even do half. I say that's pretty decent)

You can trade Technician for Filter, so that it's easy to absorb SE hits. But I personally prefer the boost in Icy Wind and Charge Beam.

Without a doubt, Tangrowth is among the best AV users, but there's another bulky grass I enjoy using: Mixed Meganium!

Meganium @ Assault Vest
Ability: Overgrow
Relaxed Nature, 248HP/216Def/44SpDef
-Ancient Power
-Earthquake
-Dragon Tail
-Giga Drain

Meganium kind of fears nothing. If you run max special defense, you survive crazy junk like this:

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Meganium in Sun: 306-360 (84 - 98.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Obviously you're never leaving Meganium in on a Charizard Y in sun. That's just an exhibition of this thing's lovely bulk. I've had some success with this set, as it allows me to waltz in on a lot of opponents, and begin some shenanigans. Giga Drain recovers HP which you miss when running AV. Ancient Power is the "screw you Talonflame switchin" button, which nobody is aware Meganium gets (nobody is aware Meganium exists in OU). Again, Earthquake and Dragon Tail are unexpected shots. Do you expect this flower thing to drop an Earthquake? Most Aegislash don't. A few WP Dragonite which used it as a setup opportunity also found out the hard way that Meganium has some lovely moves.

However.
Base 82/83 offenses are probably not good enough unboosted and do you want to pass offense boosts to a wall? Didn't think so.
Having said that, Meganium has served me amazingly over the past little while. It's currently sitting in the "bulky grass" role I rotate frequently and I'm rather happy with it.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Dusknoir @ Assault Vest
Sassy (0 Spd IVs)
Frisk
252 HP/252 Atk/4 Sp. Def
-Pursuit
-Earthquake
-Shadow Sneak
-Thunder Punch/Ice Punch

With Assault Vest, Dusknoir may have a niche over it's pre-evolution with a bulky attacking set that has slightly better defense on the special side. Where Dusclops is pure support and has zero offensive presence, it's big brother works very differently. With Pursuit, Assault Vest and Frisk, it can work well as a specially defensive pivot and trapper. Frisk is more useful than Pressure when Dusknoir is constantly switching in and out, and it gives it some small utility as an item scout. It can decently tank Ghost moves that previously laid waste to it, and hit back with a coverage move or Pursuit. It's able to force out weakened Ghost-types by threatening Shadow Sneak, and Assault Vest cushions against misprediction by avoiding Shadow Ball OHKOs and coming out still reasonably healthy. In this manner, it can perform well as a Ghost lure and Aegislash check. Shadow Sneak cleanly 2HKOs, but Aegislash would normally try to nuke with Shadow Ball in an attempt to outslow Dusknoir - hence the 0 Speed IVs.
The EVs and moveset could undoubtedly be tweaked, as this Dusknoir is very weak on the physically defensive side and has coverage issues, but I think the idea has potential :)

Aegislash
252+ SpA Spooky Plate Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 4+ SpD Assault Vest Dusknoir: 180-212 (61.2 - 72.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Spooky Plate Aegislash-Blade Shadow Sneak vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Dusknoir: 134-162 (45.5 - 55.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Dusknoir Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Blade: 316-372 (97.5 - 114.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Dusknoir Pursuit vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Blade: 252-298 (96.5 - 114.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Dusknoir Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Blade: 188-224 (72 - 85.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Dusknoir always goes after Aegislash, tanks any Ghost hit it throws at Dusknoir and OHKOs back with Earthquake, making it a decent check.
Gengar
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 4+ SpD Assault Vest Dusknoir: 159-190 (54 - 64.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 4+ SpD Assault Vest Dusknoir: 122-146 (41.4 - 49.6%) -- 87.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Dusknoir Shadow Sneak vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 168-198 (64.1 - 75.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Dusknoir Pursuit vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 220-260 (83.9 - 99.2%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Gengar is a tricky one to beat one-on-one. If it's taken some prior damage, Shadow Sneak can take it straight out, and makes it very unsafe for Gengar to switch in unless it predicts Earthquake. Life Orb Gengar is capable of 2HKOing - however, Dusknoir can scout this thanks to Frisk if it comes in on a setup move, tank a single hit and 2HKO back with Shadow Sneak.

Last edited:
Decent pivot yes, it's unfortunate he doesn't get more unique attack moves or a better Ghost STAB, but Shadow Sneak and Sucker Punch/Pursuit are handy. I think one of the better roles is for Genesect.

+1 4 Atk Genesect U-turn vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Dusknoir: 51-60 (17.3 - 20.4%) -- possible 5HKO
252 SpA Genesect Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Dusknoir: 37-44 (12.5 - 14.9%) -- possible 7HKO

Genesect is very unpredictable, but with Frisk you gave yourself a big advantage in determining what item he was using. I think with Frisk this could actually be a very useful strategy. He is susceptible to status and all hazards though and has low HP, so residual damage is bad for him, and he has trouble killing things outside of revenging with priority. Definitely needs a Wish/Cleric on the same team like Celebi, possibly Bold version.

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Dusknoir in Sun: 123-145 (41.8 - 49.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Of important note however is that you need max SpD investment to turn Char Y's Fire Blast into a 3HKO. Thunder Punch will be a 2HKO either way.

I kind of like the idea with Frisk, because the intel you can gather can really give you an advantage.

I posted this in "creative/underrated sets", but it fits here as well:

Here is my masterpiece, I hope it makes me famous, haha:

Pachirisu @ Assault Vest
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Sp. Def / 4 Speed
Careful Nature
- Nuzzle
- Super Fang
- U-Turn
- ???

I use Pachirisu as a Special Wall. Pachirisu's advantage over other Support and Wall Pokemon is... It is "immune" to Taunt!
Nuzzle+Super Fang is unique to Pachirisu's movepool and its main reason to use it. It can paralyse, it can make damage and break walls with Super Fang and Pachirisu holding Assault Vest (which is perfect because its side effect gets useless) is unstoppable (for some rounds at least :)) if the opponent is a special-oriented one. It can't use a recovery move but it can take Rotom-W's Volt Switch and heal itself :D. U-Turn is there for escaping M-Gengar, making some damage before switching out or taking a hit and safely sending in another Pokemon. I use U-Turn over Volt Switch because U-Turn hits everything and Pachirisu is Careful natured (-Sp. Atk).

I tried using it with Last Resort instead of U-Turn and without a 4th moveslot, but sadly Pachirisu doesn't make any damage. But good thing that Super Fang is perfectly making up for it.
For the 4th slot, I also tried Fling'ing Assault Vest and hoped it can work as a "taunt" (which would have been epic) but sadly it didn't.
Any ideas for the 4th moveslot?

252 SpA Mega Gardevoir Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Pachirisu: 48-57 (28.7 - 34.1%) -- 0.7% chance to 3HKO
252+ SpA Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Pachirisu: 45-54 (26.9 - 32.3%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Pachirisu: 55-66 (32.9 - 39.5%) -- 99.8% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Espeon Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Pachirisu: 40-48 (23.9 - 28.7%) -- 94.4% chance to 4HKO
252+ SpA Mega Venusaur Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Pachirisu: 42-51 (25.1 - 30.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoking Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Pachirisu: 104-125 (62.2 - 74.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Pachirisu: 127-151 (76 - 90.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage

With Nuzzle+Super Fang+U-Turn it is most of the time in advantage against Special Sweeper.
I think it pairs well with priority sweepers like Talonflame or Azumarill. Priority attackers can easily take out the foes that were weakened from Pachirisu's Super Fang and Azumarill also benefits from Nuzzle's paralysis. Also, Talonflame/Azumarill attract Electric moves which Pachirisu can absorb and Talonflame can dodge Earthquakes aimed at Pachirisu.

No harsh critics please! xD
Have fun!

Last edited:
Dragalge can be a great AV user.

Dragalge @Assault Vest
252 hp / 252 sp. def / 4 sp. atk
Calm
-Draco Meteor/Dragon Pulse
-Sludge Bomb/Sludge Wave
-Focus Blast
-Surf/Hydro Pump/Thunderbolt

Wow I didn't know this guy got so many good coverage moves, and with adaptability (If thats released yet?) It can hit its STAB moves for 1.5 more damage which is great for an AV user like dragalge since they utilize all there EV's in bulk so getting a boost on its STAB moves are awesome! Here are some calcs too! ^-^

252 SpA Alakazam Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Dragalge: 128-152 (38.3 - 45.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Dragalge: 105-124 (31.4 - 37.1%) -- 82% chance to 3HKO
252+ SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Dragalge: 90-108 (26.9 - 32.3%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

What a tank...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)