Item Assault Vest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, I'm not 100% sure on this but I seem to remember that having equal HP/SpD stats gives you more special bulk than having more of one, and Rotom-W's lowest values in both are nigh identical (210 HP, 219 SpD). The reason for this is that you can get a rough estimate of effective bulk by multiplying the two stats together (each point of SpD makes each point of HP worth a bit more on the special side), and, for example, 250 * 250 is larger than 200 * 300

That said, the difference is very small (62500 vs. 60000) and in this case HP IVs are almost certainly preferred (you lose a LITTLE special bulk, but not much, and gain practically 1.5x physical bulk due to Rotom's tiny HP stat). I've noticed that maxxing HP is generally the better option even for things with a fair bit more HP than defenses (Reuniclus, for instance), with most exceptions being of Blissey-like disproportionality.
Yeah, it's true that you lose out on a bit of special bulk theoretically, but I were talking about the practical implications, it just doesn't make a difference;
Also, it can't be stressed enough that HP effectively is 2 times as good as both def and sdef because even dedicated special/physical walls don't want to be OHKOed by EVERYTHING on the other side.

While Rotom-W makes a pretty good assault vest user, he is more fit in 6th gen to check physical threats, like azumarill and talonflame. So I think investing in defense is more appropriate than SpD. If you're going to use assault vest, either invest 252 in SpD and HP, or invest none, and invest more in HP, SpA, and Spe

I find this hilarious in Sand:
252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Hydro Pump vs. +1 252 HP / 252+ SpD Solid Rock Rhyperior in sand: 296-355 (68.2 - 81.79%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Ice Beam vs. +1 252 HP / 252+ SpD Solid Rock Rhyperior in sand: 119-142 (27.41 - 32.71%) -- possible 4HKO
But why would you use Hydro pump and ice beam and not Grass Knot

keep in mind the weather nerf, it's really hard for other pokemon other than the auto inducers to utilize it.

I've tried AVest Rhyperior and...... It's..... not that good

Also Regirock @ Assault Vest
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Clear Body
252 HP/ 252 Atk

Drain Punch
Earth Quake
Stone Edge
Counter/ Fire Punch/Ice Punch

Now this Behemoth would be insane if perma sand still existed

364 HP
328 Atk
405 Def
410 SpDef

Mono Type.

Last edited:
But why would you use Hydro pump and ice beam and not Grass Knot

keep in mind the weather nerf, it's really hard for other pokemon other than the auto inducers to utilize it.

I've tried AVest Rhyperior and...... It's..... not that good

Also Regirock @ Assault Vest
Ability: Clear Body
252 HP/ 252 Atk

Drain Punch
Earth Quake
Stone Edge
Counter/ Fire Punch/Ice Punch

Now this Behemoth would be insane if perma sand still existed

364 HP
328 Atk
405 Def
410 SpDef

Mono Type.
Grass Knot has 120 BP in this scenario and STAB with protean.

252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. +1 252 HP / 252 SpD Solid Rock Rhyperior in sand: 328-390 (75.57 - 89.86%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Either way, AV TTar is always superior. We are just looking for other AV options.

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
lopunny could run a set like switchroo with klutz
switchroo,
toxic
protect / return / magic coat
healing wish
klutz
assault vest
252 hp 252 spd
switichroo to cripple blissey and other support pokemon.
can also heal and get in a sweeper. plus, magic coat can remove hazard, and return if you don't want to be taunt bait. also, it can toxic stall, wearing down something.
It's a cool concept but Assault Vest stops you from using Switcheroo...unfortunately. But if it weren't for that, ruining a wall with AV + Trick would be absurdly easy and unpredictable

I thought of another interesting idea for an Assault Vest user. Something, that not many of you will expect, but her niche may actually be solid, because of addition of Sheer Force - this ability alone allows her to hit harder than expected. And I always really liked her in OU tier as one of the most underrated picks there. Also her unique typing allow her to check/counter Pokemon which normally may be hard to handle for many teams.

Nidoqueen @ Assault Vest
Nature: Modest (You want as much damage as possible)
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
~ Earth Power
~ Ice Beam
~ Sludge Bomb / Shadow Ball / Dragon Tail
~ Fire Blast / Flamethrower

Idea behind this set is really simple - as bulky pivot for bulky offense/balanced team to handle Pokemon which may trouble your team. I mention this mostly for Pokebank and I will also use Pokebank example as well. Her ability to check some dangerous Pokemon like Gengar, Jolteon, Thundurus-T, Lucario, Terrakion, Virizion and few others is really impressive to say at least. Her unique Poison/Ground typing give her unique bunch of resistances, allowing her to take both physical and special hits. Some damage calculations:

Timid Life Orb Gengar Shadow Ball
34.38%-40.63%

This isn't even close to 2HKO which is really a nice thing to see. Now let's see how it hits without Life Orb, like for example with Leftovers. Same Nature.
26.56%-31.25%

Pretty weak hit if you ask me. For fun let's also check MegaGengar Shadow Ball. Timid Nature.
32.03%-37.76%

Also as Nidoqueen you resist both Focus Blast and Sludge Bomb or Sludge Wave, so you let's face it - Nidoqueen 100% counters Gengar no matter what it throws on her as you also take at best neutral damage from something odd like Energy Ball ;).

Hmmm... this time let's go with Nasty Plot MegaLucario. Annoying fella, I know. Also it's harder to wall than Swords Dance version IMO. Well, Nidoqueen makes a pretty good check here though. Assuming Timid natures, as I don't think MegaLuke can afford to go with Modest Nature.

Resisted +2 Aura Sphere:
36.72%-43.23%

+2 Flash Cannon:
73.44%-86.46%

While I admit Flash Cannon hurts, you 100% survive this hit and KO easily back with Earth Power. I think MegaLuke is one of those cases where you may afford to go Max HP/Max SpD as well with Assault Vest as with Sheer Force her damage output should be pretty decent anyway. Although Max SpA investment is still recommended because you want to have a pivot which actually allows you to keep offensive momentum while still taking some heavy hits when needed. Well, she can also check physical Lucario, although it would be better to keep SR off the field.

+2 Close Combat from MegaLuke:
82.81%-97.66% (28,21% OHKO with SR up)

While this isn't impressive by any means, AV Nidoqueen is one of those really rare Pokemon which actually hold a title of Pokemon capable of checking both versions of Lucario (although +2 Ice Punch KO this version, but if you want to counter specifically SD Lucario, go with Physically Defensive one, my advice). As long as SR is up and you didn't loose HP (and with SR your odds are not horrible as well) you counter all versions of Lucario except the ones with Ice Punch. This time - let's go with Thundurus-T.

+2 Life Orb HP Ice Timid Nature Thundurus-T:
73.44%-86.46%

Well this hurts, but he can't KO you back anytime soon, while you do it back with Ice Beam. Now the same calc without Life Orb:
56.25%-66.67%

Also you counter all other versions of Thundurus-T (unless he goes with Modest), because your typing resist or is neutral to all hits he can dish out except HP Ice. And it's also time to check normal Thundurus, which is as scary, if not more.

+2 Life Orb HP Ice Timid Nature:
65.63%-77.60%

+2 HP Ice Timid Nature:
50.52%-59.90%

Well, I also wanted to check some Aegislash calculations. So far Nidoqueen (this version) looks like a really decent Aegislash check. Some calculations:

Max SpA Rash Nature Life Orb Shadow Ball:
41.67%-49.22% (14.66% chance for 2HKO with SR up)

While you may still loose if you are unlucky, those odds are not really high, while Earth Power hits hard back. And this is the strongest hit Aegislash can dish out against you from special side.

Same type of hit with Neutral Nature:
37.50%-44.53%

Max SpA Rash Nature Spooky Plate:

38.28%-45.31%

Max SpA Neutral Nature Spooky Plate:
35.16%-41.41%

+2 Shadow Sneak Life Orb Adamant Nature:
60.94%-71.88%

Same hit but without Life Orb:
46.88%-55.47%

Nidoqueen outspeeds Aegislash, so he must use Shadow Sneak here. Looks really good in overall as Aegislash check if you ask me. Terrakion time this turn I guess ;).

CB Stone Edge Jolly Nature:
35.68%-42.19%

+2 Life Orb Jolly Close Combat:
73.96%-87.24%

Same hit, but without Life Orb:
57.03%-67.19%

With Rock Gem:
68.49%-80.47%

In other words you still keep your ability to check offensive physical titan like Terrakion without hardcore invest into defense, which is nice. I would be careful in case of CB Close Combat (which hits for 42,71% - 50,26% making this 35,77% chance for 2HKO with SR up, but this fact alone allows you to easily work around Choice set by switching into resists).

I'll add later on some other calcs when needed (or just post which ones you want to see as well), but so far this looks more than solid. Something worth to consider as some of those are top tiers threats ;).

Last edited:

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
Firstly, let me say that Metagross LOVES Assault Vest. With resistance to Stealth Rock, and immunity to Poison Spikes and Sandstream, it doesn't completely hate the loss of Leftovers.

Secondly, WTF?! Why are you people suggesting Metagross purely as a defensive pivot?

Metagross @Assault Vest
Nature : Adamant
EVs : 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Atk
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake
- Hammer Arm

I've only been battling on PS for a few days, but this has been one of the main success stories on my team. It takes almost everything like a champ, and NVE Meteor Mash softens things up on the switch. If you score +1 attack late game, Bullet Punch has situational sweep potential. Metagross is (perhaps surprisingly) faster than several mainstays in the current metagame. There are no slashes/options because this is the optimal moveset. Pursuit is weak sauce, get out of here (it's more valuable to score a hit on the incoming Pokemon). You could make an argument for Rock Slide, but Hammer Arm is just more useful for pesky Rotom switches/trolling Skarmory whether it Roosts or not/smashing a hole in Ferrothorn.

It beats Mega Gengar with enough HP to remain useful. Give it screen support and Metagross will go toe to toe with anything. It fulfills the role of offensive pivot admirably, and will put a healthy dent in your opponent's team, allowing other things to clean up its mess.

Last edited:
Not sure if this was posted before but..
Reuniclus @ Assault Vest
Regenerator
72hp/188def/252sdef
-Psychic
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast
-Energy Ball

Prior to XY Magic Guard was just obvious for Reuniclus, with Trick Room and Calm Mind builds, he didn't like switching out very much. Regenerator seemed really sub-par in comparison since it was antithesis to his commonly used sets.

First thing I thought of though when I saw Assault Vest was Regenerator Reuniclus. With bothe Reuniclus's notable bulk, respectable satk, the ability to heal on switches and Assault Vest. Reuniclus becomes a very potent mixed defensive pivot. Able to switch in on almost any attack and hit back reasonably hard with at least neutral coverage across the board.

You'll find below I included test calculations against some of the most threatening mons of this gen, which goes to show that even things Reuniclus has no business staying in on, he can soak in a pinch. In many cases when being switched in against by the opponent, expecting a free kill, Reuniclus can soak one attack and OHKO most things in return, then switch out and heal himself back up.

This means that even in a bad situation where momentum isn't always in your favor Reuniclus can KO something, especially with previous damage, then switch out to heal and continue to provide value for your team instead of taking out one-mon and then becoming a low HP speed bump.

These are just a few calcs, and I think they show that even the scariest stuff out now is survivable.
What nature would you use?

Snorlax @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat/Immunity
EVs: 252 Atk / 176 SDef / 80 HP
~ Return/Body Slam
~ Crunch
~ Earthquake
~ Fire Punch/Ice Punch/F

While this definitely isn't suited for UU or higher tiers, it might actually allow Hypno to be used in RU.

Pokemon: Hypno
Ability: Forewarn / Insomnia
Item: Assault Vest
EVs: 252 sDef / 252 At / 4HP

Weaknesses: Dark / Ghost / Bug

Moves:
- PuP / Coverage
- Drain Punch
- Ice / Fire Punch
- Psycho Cut / Return

Insomnia can be a good choice when facing Pokemon like Amoonguss, absorb Spore - and force a switch (allowing a free PuP).

Forewarn always is a good choice in lower tiers (RU / NU) were weird builds are usual and often not much less efficient than "tryhard" ones.

So, what is this about?
Using an Assault Vest boosts Hypno's special defense to 493 which is quite a lot.
Combined with Drainch Punch the received sustainability is immense.
Using Drain Punch, Fire Punch and Psycho Cut Hypno is able to hit all types he is weak against with very effective attacks as well. (While Ice Punch adds better coverage)

With his immense Sdef he often can set up a free Power Up Punch when the enemy is forced to switch.

While this definitely isn't suited for UU or higher tiers, it might actually allow Hypno to be used in RU.

Pokemon: Hypno
Ability: Forewarn / Insomnia
Item: Assault Vest
EVs: 252 sDef / 252 At / 4HP

Weaknesses: Dark / Ghost / Bug

Moves:
- PuP / Coverage
- Drain Punch
- Ice / Fire Punch
- Psycho Cut / Return

Insomnia can be a good choice when facing Pokemon like Amoonguss, absorb Spore - and force a switch (allowing a free PuP).

Forewarn always is a good choice in lower tiers (RU / NU) were weird builds are usual and often not much less efficient than "tryhard" ones.

So, what is this about?
Using an Assault Vest boosts Hypno's special defense to 493 which is quite a lot.
Combined with Drainch Punch the received sustainability is immense.
Using Drain Punch, Fire Punch and Psycho Cut Hypno is able to hit all types he is weak against with very effective attacks as well. (While Ice Punch adds better coverage)

With his immense Sdef he often can set up a free Power Up Punch when the enemy is forced to switch.
I'll just quote myself here:

Scratch all the Sdef Investment and put it into HP; That way, you'll lose no special bulk, but win a lot in physical bulk.
I know you probably did it to slightly increase the relative healing of drain punch, but it's simply not worth it.

I'll just quote myself here:

I know you probably did it to slightly increase the relative healing of drain punch, but it's simply not worth it.
You are right, looking at Hypno as a single character running full HP will be superior in most cases.

I tend to run (hazard-heavy) teams which are extremely bulky in general - then I pick 2 and fully invest one in defense and one in special defense.
In this case Hypno was the one I chose to be my sDef-wall.
Looking at my playstyle I feel like I'm good with this choice.

However, I admit - I forgot to think of this when posting the build :)
In any average team HP ofc is the way to go.

I think Gallade could pull off that Hypno set much better though in either case I'm leery of having a ghost weakness on a spdef mon.

Trying this on Gallade is a good idea, I never was a fan of him so he didn't come to my mind ;)
Higher base attack and STAB bonus, sounds solid.

Ghost-weakness ain't that bad though, there are only 3 ghosts in RU.
Rotom, Dusknoir and Spiritomb.
Dusknoir and Spiritomb are mainly physical attackers (who are slower than Hypno) , so there would be no point in sending Hyno against them in the first place.
Rotom? He rarely uses Ghost moves.

Plus: In general flying moves are more common for coverage than ghost moves here.

A plus for Hypno could be Insomnia which can absorb spore or sleeping power, which ain't bad either.
Last Gen this would have been a nieche, now all plants can do it :/

But yea, Gallade wins the power wars. No discussion.

(Trying to look at this from all perspectives)

You are right, looking at Hypno as a single character running full HP will be superior in most cases.

I tend to run (hazard-heavy) teams which are extremely bulky in general - then I pick 2 and fully invest one in defense and one in special defense.
In this case Hypno was the one I chose to be my sDef-wall.
Looking at my playstyle I feel like I'm good with this choice.

However, I admit - I forgot to think of this when posting the build :)
In any average team HP ofc is the way to go.
Let's run the numbers:
(374*182)/(311*182)=374/311 ~ 1.203
(311*329)/(374*266) ~ 1.028

So, by running HP you would gain 20.3% more physical bulk while with SDef you gain 2.8% special bulk. It's your choice in the end of course, but against which pokemon/moves do these 2.8% make such a big difference that it's worth to turn a lot of 2HKOes into 1HKOes or 3HKOes into 2HKOes? Really, even it's supposed to be your dedicated special wall (which it btw can't be by definition anyway - a WALL is something that can take repeated hits and has some sort of healing - Hypno can be, at best, a TANK, meaning it takes a hit and immediately hits back, but is quickly worn down), it's unreasonable to assume it would NEVER run into physical attacks, so this makes absolutely no sense imho.

What nature would you use?
My bad, this was calc'd with Calm. Theoretically you could go bold, but Calm maximizes your odds of a few chance 2KHOs, sometimes letting you squeak by as a 3HKO

I redid the iv's to be more like

252hp/72def/188sdef

This maximizes your regenerator bulk/mixed bulk, Reuniclus has a base 110 hp stat making him and regenerator amazing buddies. This also makes him a bit bulkier on the physical side and so he can tank things that he's neutral towards.

satk remains uninvested because he OHKOs MegaGengar with Shadowball, and 2HKOs MegaZam, that 2HKO vs Zam means nothing as Zam can't OHKO back with anything.

Modest MegaZam max atk
252+ SpA Alakazam Shadow Ball vs. +1 252 HP / 188+ SpD Reuniclus: 136-162 (32.07 - 38.2%) -- 97.17% chance to 3HKO

LO Zam
252 SpA Life Orb Alakazam Shadow Ball vs. +1 252 HP / 188+ SpD Reuniclus: 133-159 (31.36 - 37.5%) -- 86.47% chance to 3HKO

Sash Zam
252 SpA Alakazam Shadow Ball vs. +1 252 HP / 188+ SpD Reuniclus: 102-122 (24.05 - 28.77%) -- possible 4HKO
However the match up isn't the very best due to the speed of Zam, there is only a slim chance he can survive against Zam 1:1, however if Zam switches in on your Reuniclus then it is possible to 2HKO a MegaZam then switch out to heal back, giving Reuniclus amazing sustain.
Using Psyshock as your main stab will do 38.49 - 45.63% to Zam uninvested, Psyshocking and hitting a Zam switch in, the following up with Shadow Ball will do 96.42% - 114.67% damage. So any prior damage will 100% guarantee the 2HKO on MegaZam.

I think based on Assault Vest + Regenerator, Reuniclus good satk and bulk, good movepool and ability to survive against the mega meta he's going to be one of the premier AV users in OU.

Alakazam is almost never switching into another pokemon. He's far too frail and that is way too risky for him.

I could see this being very good with Dragalge given its nice typing and good special defense stat.

Dragalge @ Assault Vest
Nature: Modest
Ability: Poison Point (Adaptability when Released)
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Spd
~ Sludge Bomb
~ Dragon Pulse
~ Scald / Thunderbolt
~ Focus Blast

It has pretty good coverage, and can still status with its moves. When Adaptability is released it will hit pretty hard. It really doesn't get any good support moves bar Toxic Spikes (Venom Drench?) and it could be a nice tank. Won't hit too hard, but the statuses make up for that I guess.

Didn't look through all the pages so if it has been said already ignore this.

I'm going to sound crazy here but remember Beeheeyem? That Psychic-type War-Of-The-Worldsy thing? It could run AV relatively well I think (in NU anyway). 75/75/95 Defenses, and a Base 125 Special Attack and Analytic as an ability, with next to no speed, are very workable.

Beeheeyem @ Assault Vest
Ability: Analytic
Nature: Quiet
252HP/252SpA/ 4SpDef
-Psychic/Psyshock
-Charge Beam/Thunderbolt
-Energy Ball
-Signal Beam

Standard enough really. Psychic or Psyshock, pick your favourite. Energy Ball gets nice buffs this gen in power, hitting Waters and Rocks and Grounds nicely. Charge Beam allows boosting (read: overkill) but Thunderbolt can be used for pure power. Signal Beam stops Darks eating your face (and to a lesser extent Psychics).

Once this thing gets released in Pokebank (unless it's around already) I'm looking forward to using this.

I've been running
Mamoswine
Adamant w/ Thick Fat
252 HP/252 Atk/4 Speed
-Stone Edge
-Icicle Crash
-Ice Shard
-Earthquake

and it's great, this guy takes Fireblasts and Ice beams really well and even a few hydro pumps that he shouldn't allowing him to score some extra kills.

Aegislash is incredibly bulky with this in shield form, able to tank huge super effective hits.
Except that Aegislash relies on boosting moves like swords dance and automize, as well as the ability to switch between forms with king's shield, all of which can't be used with AV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)