Aurorus (QC: 3/3) (GP: 2/2)

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
[OVERVIEW]
Aurorus's movepool and abilities cement its position as one of the most fearsome wallbreakers in the tier. It has Refrigerate to bolster its strong Normal-type moves and Snow Warning for a perfectly accurate Blizzard, giving it very strong Ice-type attacks to pound foes with. Aurorus's access to Freeze-Dry makes it incredibly reliable for breaking bulky cores that rely on their resistances as opposed to sheer bulk. Aurorus also boasts a large number of coverage options that let it handle almost any other obstacle, with its Ground-type attacks forming perfect neutral coverage alongside Aurorus's Ice-type moves. However, Aurorus's typing plagues it with common weaknesses to Fighting-, Water-, Grass-, and Ground-type moves, which when coupled with its mediocre Speed make it rather easy to revenge kill.

[SET]
name: Choice Specs
move 1: Hyper Voice / Blizzard
move 2: Freeze-Dry
move 3: Earth Power
move 4: Frost Breath
item: Choice Specs
ability: Refrigerate / Snow Warning
nature: Modest
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Refrigerate Hyper Voice is very strong and can penetrate Substitutes as well. Blizzard is the move of choice if Aurorus chooses Snow Warning, and it slightly outdamages Refrigerate Hyper Voice factoring in hail damage. Freeze-Dry smacks Water-types such Lanturn, Gorebyss, and Mantine, OHKOing the last, usually making it the safest move to lock into and throw out against bulkier cores. It also deters the likes of Samurott and Poliwrath from trying to switch into Aurorus and threaten it out. Earth Power allows Aurorus to OHKO Pyroar, Eviolite Combusken, and Klinklang, as well as 2HKO Assault Vest Magmortar and opposing Aurorus. Frost Breath allows Aurorus to break through Calm Mind users such as Mega Audino and Musharna. Psychic is an option to hit Hariyama, although that is the extent of its usefulness.

Set Details
========
Maximum Special Attack investment with a Modest nature maximizes Aurorus's damage output. Maximum Speed investment is used to outspeed as many Pokemon as possible, but a Timid nature should not be considered, as it doesn't allow Aurorus to outspeed anything relevant. The remaining EVs should not be placed into HP, as that would only allow Aurorus to switch into Stealth Rock three times. Choice Specs gives Aurorus tremendous power, boosting its wallbreaking potential; it also helps facilitate Aurorus's hit-and-run role, allowing Aurorus to deal as much damage as possible in one blow before being forced out.

If Aurorus's teammates are hindered by hail (primarily Synthesis or Moonlight users, weather sweepers, and Sturdy users), Refrigerate is the safer, no-drawback ability to use. If your team isn't too heavily affected by hail or benefits from hail's disruption against the opposing team, Snow Warning can be used.

Usage Tips
========
Due to Aurorus's low Speed and exploitable typing, it mainly functions as a hit-and-run Pokemon. It usually uses a combination of its resistances and decent bulk to switch into foes like Weezing, Scyther, Haunter, Xatu, Articuno, and Choice Specs Swellow. From there, Aurorus can usually just click its most powerful Ice-type attack to shred the opponent's team, unless there is a particularly bulky foe that warrants the use of its other attacks. Although Aurorus can punch sizable holes into teams at any stage in the game, it should usually be used early-game to maximize wallbreaking opportunities. While Aurorus doesn't require entry hazard control to function, keeping Stealth Rock off its side of the field is helpful to preserve Aurorus's health, as it switches in and out often. Snow Warning has additional utility, as it allows Aurorus to disrupt the recovery of Vileplume, Gourgeist, and Musharna and proceed to threaten them with its powerful Ice-type moves.

Team Options
========
Aurorus pairs excellently with Fighting-type Pokemon, such as Sawk, Combusken, Gurdurr, and Primeape, as Aurorus can easily threaten the likes of Weezing, Gourgeist-Super, Vileplume, Musharna, Xatu, Swellow, and Pelipper and boasts the ability to switch in on most of them. In return, the Fighting-types do away with Steel- and Rock-types that may threaten Aurorus and help improve Aurorus's matchup against faster teams.

Fighting-types also happen to be Aurorus's greatest enemies, as they easily force it out; Pokemon such as Mesprit, Xatu, Weezing, Vileplume, Pelipper, and Musharna are examples of good teammates that can switch into said Fighting-types. VoltTurn support from the likes of Scyther, Primeape, Rotom, and Swellow is nice to get Aurorus into battle safely or against a favorable matchup.

While not necessary, Pokemon that can remove or prevent Stealth Rock can make for favorable teammates; in particular, Hitmonchan is yet another Fighting-type that benefits from Aurorus's wallbreaking, whereas Xatu and Pelipper cover many of Aurorus's weaknesses. Because Aurorus is slow and usually only threatens bulky Pokemon, fast attackers or setup sweepers are helpful to patch up Aurorus's weakness to faster teams. The likes of Sceptile, Tauros, Swellow, Scyther, Shiftry, and Lilligant fit the bill, with a few of them also covering some of Aurorus's weaknesses; in return all of them appreciate Aurorus's ability to pressure most of their checks. Aurorus also likes partners that can provide speed control, such as Thunder Wave Xatu, Baton Pass Combusken, and Tailwind Swellow.

If running Snow Warning Aurorus, it is important to note which Pokemon can benefit or get hindered from ail. Rotom-F becomes an interesting teammate, as it can switch into Ground-type moves and its sole Ice-type STAB move in Blizzard becomes perfectly accurate. For the latter reason, Aurorus's teammates may consider Blizzard over Ice Beam as coverage moves. Some teammates may adapt around hail, such as Magic Guard Kadabra and Safety Goggles Sturdy Sawk, whereas Pokemon that rely on weather for recovery, such as Vileplume, Gourgeist-Super, and Musharna, may not be advisable as teammates at all.

[SET]
name: Stealth Rock
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Blizzard
move 3: Freeze-Dry
move 4: Rock Tomb
item: Focus Sash
ability: Snow Warning
nature: Hasty
evs: 32 Atk / 224 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Aurorus makes for a decent Stealth Rock user as few entry hazard removers would dare attempt to remove Stealth Rock in front of it, much less stay in. Blizzard is Aurorus's best attack and allows Aurorus to anti-lead by OHKOing most other Focus Sash leads as well as threaten entry hazard removers such as Xatu, Shiftry, and Claydol. Freeze-Dry allows Aurorus to hit Water-types, particularly Defog users such as Pelipper, Prinplup, and Mantine, as well as Rapid Spin Kabutops. Rock Tomb is crucial for its Speed-lowering effect and is favored over Icy Wind for its additional coverage against Fire-types, particularly Assault Vest Magmortar, and Jynx, which also lessens the need for Earth Power.

Set Details
========
Maximum Speed with a Speed-boosting nature allows Aurorus to set up Stealth Rock on as many foes as possible before it risks being KOed, as well as outspeed everything up to Tauros after a Rock Tomb. A Hasty nature is used over Timid to preserve Rock Tomb's power, and it is used over Naive nature because Aurorus's special bulk is still salvageable, whereas altering Aurorus's Defense stat does not affect its ability to withstand the physical hits it can or cannot take. 32 Attack EVs lets Rock Tomb cleanly 2HKO Assault Vest Magmortar and nearly guarantee the 2HKO on Pyroar after Hail damage, assuming Pyroar has not taken Life Orb recoil. The remaining EVs go into Special Attack to power up Blizzard and Freeze-Dry. Focus Sash guarantees that Aurorus will get to use Rock Tomb or set up Stealth Rock. Snow Warning helps to disrupt any other Focus Sash suicide leads, and the chip damage can increase Aurorus's chances of KOing the foe with Blizzard after using Rock Tomb.

Usage Tips
========
Aurorus plays the role as a dedicated offensive lead on the team that gives little leeway for the opponent to gain ground, especially with its ability to ward off entry hazard removers. This by extension means Aurorus functions like a suicide lead, so it does not need to be preserved. Aurorus can set up Stealth Rock against a slower foe and proceed with attacking as usual.

If Aurorus is up against a faster foe not exceeding 110 base Speed and lacking priority moves, Aurorus should lead off with Rock Tomb to slow the foe down; this gives Aurorus more flexibility and wriggle room when deciding its next course of action. If Aurorus's Focus Sash is still intact, it should try to KO its target, as it can set up Stealth Rock on the next foe anyway by repeating the process. If Aurorus has taken damage or cannot immediately KO its foe, it can just set up Stealth Rock and let its teammates revenge kill the slowed threat.

Team Options
========
Aurorus best fits on offensive teams, which best capitalize on its efficient Stealth Rock setup or early damage. Ghost-types such as Rotom, Haunter, Golurk, and Mismagius can block Rapid Spin, making them great teammates. Offensive Garbodor is an interesting partner; it can set up Spikes to complement Aurorus's Stealth Rock, cover for it against priority attacks, and even use Explosion to prevent the foe from using Defog or Rapid Spin. Aurorus's other teammates should aim to keep the offensive pressure up and give no room for the opponent to try to clear Stealth Rock; Pokemon like Sceptile, Swellow, Jynx, Tauros, Pyroar, Barbaracle, Gorebyss, and Shiftry are such examples of powerful Pokemon with immediate offensive presence.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Choice Band Aurorus is a very viable alternative, as Aurorus has the movepool for such a set, containing moves like Return, Facade, Earthquake, Zen Headbutt, and even Aqua Tail, with its main draws being that it acts as a powerful physical wallbreaker with strong super effective and neutral coverage and doesn't care about burns. However, the metagame is more prepared for physical attackers in general, and Choice Band Aurorus is somewhat reliant on boosted Facade to exceed the crazily high damage output that Choice Specs Aurorus has.

Life Orb is an alternative to a Choice item, but Aurorus heavily dislikes being worn down. Icicle Plate can boost Aurorus's main attacks, but its main attacks are already so easily spammed that being Choice-locked is of little consequence to Aurorus, not to mention the item does not boost Aurorus's coverage moves. Choice Scarf Snow Warning Aurorus can shut down weather sweepers, but its inability to outspeed Sceptile really hurts its overall revenge killing potential. Icy Rock can be used to prolong the duration of hail, but simply using Abomasnow alongside Aurorus is probably more practical than reduciing Aurorus's offensive potential.

Aurorus has access to Rock Polish, but it is difficult to set up due to Aurorus's low Speed and numerous weaknesses, and its weakness to priority moves such as Mach Punch, Aqua Jet, and Bullet Punch makes it hard to sustain the sweep. Flash Cannon on the Choice Specs set cleanly 2HKOes Piloswine and OHKOes Jynx half of the time.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fighting-type Attacks**: Fighting-types such as Sawk, Primeape, Hitmonchan, Poliwrath, and Combusken can threaten Aurorus with their STAB moves. Even non-Fighting-type Pokemon such as Zangoose, Garbodor, Magmortar, and Jynx can do major damage with moves like Close Combat, Drain Punch, and Focus Blast. Hitmonchan also happens to be one of the few entry hazard removers to not fear Stealth Rock Aurorus. Gurdurr can swiftly take out Aurorus with Mach Punch, whereas Hariyama and Malamar can tank a hit or two and KO it with Close Combat and Superpower, respectively.

**Thick Fat Users**: Thick Fat users such as Piloswine, Hariyama, Grumpig, and Miltank boasting a resistance to both Aurorus's powerful Ice-type attacks and Freeze-Dry and are not overly vulnerable to Aurorus's common attacking options, and all four have access to super effective moves to hit Aurorus with. Hariyama has to watch out for the occasional Psychic or even physical set, and Miltank wants heavy Special Defense investment to tank Aurorus's hits.

**Steel-type Attacks**: Few Steel-types want to actually take Aurorus's attacks, but Steelix, Ferroseed, and Klinklang can usually survive one blow and retaliate for a surefire OHKO. Klinklang boasts being the ability to OHKO Focus Sash Aurorus as well by virtue of Gear Grind. Steel-type moves are not common on non-Steel-type Pokemon, but Bullet Punch Hariyama and Iron Head or Iron Tail Tauros can prove bothersome.

**Faster Water-types**: Samurott, Kabutops, Ludicolo, Poliwrath, and Barbaracle can drown Aurorus with their powerful Water-type STAB moves, but all of them must be wary of Freeze-Dry. Poliwrath and the Rock / Water-types do especially well at answering the occasional physical set.

**Faster Grass-types**: The likes of Sceptile, Lilligant, Shiftry, and Ludicolo outspeed Aurorus and can deal some major damage with their STAB attacks. Be warned that Aurorus's special bulk does allow it to survive Life Orb-boosted Giga Drain from full health, and, of course, none of these Pokemon want to switch into Aurorus's STAB moves. While not all Abomasnow run enough Speed investment to outrun Aurorus, some do carry Soundproof, meaning the risk of them switching into Hyper Voice for free is very real.

Last edited:

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I dislike how the overview is laid out currently. Reorder it so that you list all of its positive attributes first and then list all of its negative attributes.

Mention that Freeze Dry OHKOs Mantine.
Give examples of Fire-types when talking about Earth Power.

In usage tips you mention Rotom as one of the Pokemon Aurorus can pivot into, but I don't think this is true as Rotom either just gains momentum with Volt Switch and its not like Aurorus resists either of its STAB moves.

In team options, add some Pokemon that can provide speed control (which is really just Thunder Wave users but Tailwind Swellow or something like that works too) since Aurorus's Speed is one of its two big flaws.

I discussed with the QC team and we almost unanimously agreed that Choice Band isnt worth a set, so please remove it. Specs and Stealth Rock are definitely the only two sets I would ever bother using. Remove mentions of it throughout the analysis as well.

OO is way too big:
-Remove the first line, its filler
-Remove Dark Pulse, Electric moves, Calm Mind, Mirror Coat, Twave, Iron Head, and Magnet Rise
-I don't think Hail will be a mediocre playstyle in this meta given we now have Abomasnow, so I'd reword that.
-Mention what Ancientpower would be used for, which is really just to hit Jynx.
-"Aurorus has a rather extensive attacking movepool, which doesn't see use on Aurorus's already effective sets" <- remove this, its also filler

Everything else is good, QC 1/3

Punchshroom

Implemented almost all of those except for some tweaks:
I don't think Hail will be a mediocre playstyle in this meta given we now have Abomasnow, so I'd reword that
I reworded it to basically "instead of using Icy Rock Aurorus, just use Aurorus + Abomasnow and not hinder ur Aurorus"

Mention what Ancientpower would be used for, which is really just to hit Jynx.
Seeing as Flash Cannon already hits Jynx and additionally nabs Pilo, I removed both Rock moves and mentioned Jynx as a Flash Cannon target.

This is what I am most shaky about though:
I discussed with the QC team and we almost unanimously agreed that Choice Band isnt worth a set, so please remove it. Specs and Stealth Rock are definitely the only two sets I would ever bother using. Remove mentions of it throughout the analysis as well.
Hmm, I didn't expect this much opposition to be quite frank. If anything I honestly believe Choice Band to have a slightly greater impact since Abomasnow is expected to give Specs Aurorus some stiff competition; of course, not enough to remove it from the analysis but enough to perhaps bump it down. As you can see, I don't even rate SR as highly as I do CB. I don't know, I feel like it's too early to proceed with this analysis when Aboma is still new in the meta.

Also I know you keep pressuring me to get Skype and whatnot but I just can't, sry. I'd like to know from the rest of the QC team what makes CB, and by extension physical Aurorus so unviable though compared to the alternatives in OO, because I genuinely find it better than literally every other possible item choice I've listed there.

cb aurorus is really more a lure than anything. i mean really what does it do that aboma doesnt do better? hit hariyama? good luck switching into wood hammer. aboma is way better than cb aurorus cause of how simply amazing ice shard is, its ability to hit waters, doesnt have to be locked into a move, has sd, and is crazy versatile. doesnt deserve a set

also just because somethings better than everything else in oo doesnt mean it belongs anywhere else.

Punchshroom

cb aurorus is really more a lure than anything. i mean really what does it do that aboma doesnt do better? hit hariyama? good luck switching into wood hammer. aboma is way better than cb aurorus cause of how simply amazing ice shard is, its ability to hit waters, doesnt have to be locked into a move, has sd, and is crazy versatile. doesnt deserve a set

also just because somethings better than everything else in oo doesnt mean it belongs anywhere else.
I still don't know why people insist on comparing Aboma to CB Aurorus. Mixed Aboma and special Aurorus are comparable because they are primarily wallbreakers; SD Abomasnow is not as comparable to CB Aurorus because SD Aboma is now not so much a wallbreaker than it is a sweeper (good luck breaking the bulky Grasses when your best attack is Ice Shard), while CB Aurorus doesn't even care about burns.

Nevertheless, the other QC (boltsandbombers) seem adamant about removing CB as a set, so I'll move it to OO, though I'll still rate it highly compared to the rest.

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This seems good but maybe mention specific teammates that like Hail support when it runs Snow Warning. Rotom-F in particular is much better with Hail on the field and forms a good offensive core by switching into Ground-type attacks and complementing Blizzard Spam with STAB Electric-type attacks. Magic Guard Pokémon, Safety Goggles users, and things that like using Blizzard as coverage could also be mentioned but might be pushing it depending on how popular Hail becomes.

Also teammates that can switch into Fighting-type attacks are a must imo as things like Sawk, Hariyama, and Hitmonchan all force Aurorus out after it gets a kill. Mesprit, Weezing, and Musharna (for Refrigerate!) can work well without sacrificing too much momentum for balanced and offensive teams.

Otherwise QC 2/3

Last edited:

shiloh

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Tiering Lead
  • "While not necessary, Pokemon that can remove or prevent Stealth Rock can make favorable teammates; Hitmonchan is yet another Fighting-type that benefits from Aurorus's wallbreaking, whereas Xatu and Pelipper covers many of Aurorus's weaknesses. Since Aurorus is slow and usually only threatens bulky Pokemon, fast attackers or setup sweepers patch up Aurorus's weakness to faster teams. The likes of Sceptile, Tauros, Swellow, Scyther, Shiftry, and Lilligant fit the bill, with a few of them also covering some of Aurorus's weaknesses; all of them appreciate Aurorus's ability to pressure most of their checks. Aurorus also likes partners that can provide Speed control, such as Thunder Wave Xatu, Baton Pass Combusken, or Tailwind Swellow." - Mention that Hitmonchan + Xatu also provide hazard control which is really nice for Aurorus
  • "Rock Tomb is crucial for its slowing effect, and is favored over Icy Wind for its additional coverage against Fire-types and Jynx." - Mention that it helps it beat Assault Vest Magmortar which otherwise comes in for free on it, and why its preferred over Earth Power as well
QC 3/3 once you've implemented

Punchshroom

"While not necessary, Pokemon that can remove or prevent Stealth Rock can make favorable teammates; Hitmonchan is yet another Fighting-type that benefits from Aurorus's wallbreaking, whereas Xatu and Pelipper covers many of Aurorus's weaknesses. Since Aurorus is slow and usually only threatens bulky Pokemon, fast attackers or setup sweepers patch up Aurorus's weakness to faster teams. The likes of Sceptile, Tauros, Swellow, Scyther, Shiftry, and Lilligant fit the bill, with a few of them also covering some of Aurorus's weaknesses; all of them appreciate Aurorus's ability to pressure most of their checks. Aurorus also likes partners that can provide Speed control, such as Thunder Wave Xatu, Baton Pass Combusken, or Tailwind Swellow." - Mention that Hitmonchan + Xatu also provide hazard control which is really nice for Aurorus
BRUH

also thx for QC check

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 1/2
[OVERVIEW]
Aurorus's movepool and abilities cement its position as one of the most fearsome wallbreakers in the tier. It has Refrigerate to bolster its strong Normal-type moves and Snow Warning for a perfectly accurate Blizzard, giving it very strong Ice-type attacks to pound foes with. Aurorus's access to Freeze-Dry makes it incredibly reliable for breaking bulky cores that rely on their resistances as opposed to sheer bulk. Aurorus also boasts a large number of coverage options which that let it handle almost any other obstacle, with its Ground-type attacks already forming perfectly neutral coverage alongside Aurorus's Ice-type moves. However, Aurorus's typing plagues it with several (or add comma after "weaknesses") common weaknesses to Fighting, Water, Grass, and Ground, which when coupled with its mediocre Speed make it rather easy to revenge kill.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Refrigerate Hyper Voice is very strong (RC) and can penetrate Substitutes as well. Blizzard is the move of choice if Aurorus chooses Snow Warning, and it slightly outdamages Hyper Voice due to hail damage. Freeze-Dry smacks Water-types such as Lanturn and Gorebyss, as well as OHKOing Mantine, usually making it the safer move to lock into and throw out against bulkier cores. It also deters the likes of Samurott and Poliwrath from trying to switch into Aurorus and threaten it out. Earth Power allows Aurorus to OHKO Pyroar, Eviolite Combusken, and Klinklang, as well as 2HKO Assault Vest Magmortar and opposing Aurorus. Frost Breath allows Aurorus to hit break through Calm Mind users such as Mega Audino and Musharna. Psychic is an option to hit Hariyama, although that is the extent of its usefulness.

Set Details
========
Maximum Special Attack investment and with a Modest nature maximizes Aurorus's damage output. Maximum Speed investment is used to outspeed as much as possible, but a Timid nature is not considered, (AC) as it doesn't allow Aurorus to outspeed anything relevant. The remaining EVs should not be placed into HP, as it would only allow Aurorus to switch into Stealth Rock 3 three times. Choice Specs gives Aurorus tremendous power, boosting its wallbreaking potential; it also helps facilitate Aurorus's hit-and-run role, allowing Aurorus to deal as much damage as possible in one blow before being forced out.

If your team is Aurorus's teammates are hindered by hail (primarily Synthesis / Moonlight users, weather sweepers, or and Sturdy Pokemon), (AC) then Refrigerate is the safer, no-drawback (add hyphen) ability to use. If your team isn't too heavily affected by hail or you actually favor hail's aforementioned disruption against the opposing team, then Snow Warning can be used.

Usage Tips
========
Due to Aurorus's low Speed and exploitable typing, it mainly functions as a hit-and-run Pokemon. It usually uses a combination of its resistances and decent bulk to able to switch into foes, such as Weezing, Scyther, Haunter, Xatu, Articuno, and Choice Specs Swellow. From there, Aurorus can usually just click its most powerful Ice-type attack to shred the opponent's team, unless there is a particularly bulky foe that warrants the use of its other attacks. Aurorus can punch sizable holes into teams at any stage in the game (RC) and should be used early-game (add hyphen; also this seemingly contradicts the first half, maybe "as soon as possible" conveys what you mean?) to maximize wallbreaking opportunities. While Aurorus doesn't require entry hazard control to function, keeping Stealth Rock off its side of the field is helpful to preserve Aurorus's health, (AC) as it switches in and out often. Snow Warning has additional utility, as it allows Aurorus to disrupt the recovery of Vileplume, Gourgeist, and Musharna (RC) and proceed to threaten them with its powerful Ice moves.

Team Options
========
Aurorus pairs excellently with Fighting-type Pokemon, such as Sawk, Combusken, Gurdurr, and Primeape, (comma) as Aurorus can easily threaten the likes of Weezing, Gourgeist, Vileplume, Musharna, Xatu, Swellow, and Pelipper (RC) and boasts the ability to switch in on most of them. In return, the Fighting-types do away with Steel- and Rock-types that may threaten Aurorus, as well as improve the matchup against faster teams.
Fighting-types also happen to be Aurorus's greatest foe enemies, (AC) as they easily force it out; Pokemon such as Mesprit, Xatu, Weezing, Vileplume, Pelipper, and Musharna are examples of good teammates that can switch into said Fighting-types. VoltTurn support is nice to get Aurorus into battle safely or against a favorable matchup; Scyther, Primeape, Rotom, and Swellow are all good users of this strategy .

While not necessary, Pokemon that can remove or prevent Stealth Rock can make favorable teammates; Hitmonchan is yet another Fighting-type that benefits from Aurorus's wallbreaking, whereas Xatu and Pelipper covers cover many of Aurorus's weaknesses. Since Because Aurorus is slow and usually only threatens bulky Pokemon, fast attackers or setup sweepers are helpful to patch up Aurorus's weakness to faster teams. The likes of Sceptile, Tauros, Swellow, Scyther, Shiftry, and Lilligant fit the bill, with a few of them also covering some of Aurorus's weaknesses; all of them appreciate Aurorus's ability to pressure most of their checks. Aurorus also likes partners that can provide speed control, such as Thunder Wave Xatu, Baton Pass Combusken, or and Tailwind Swellow.

If one is running Snow Warning Aurorus, it is important to note which Pokemon can benefit or get hindered from Hail. Rotom-F becomes an interesting teammate, (AC) as its sole Ice-type STAB move in Blizzard gets improved, (AC) and offers a Ground-type switch-in for Aurorus, and Aurorus's teammates may consider Blizzard over Ice Beam as coverage moves. Some teammates may adapt around hail, such as Magic Guard Kadabra or Safety Goggles Sturdy Sawk, whereas Pokemon who that rely on weather for recovery, such as Vileplume, Gourgeist, and Musharna, may not be advisable as teammates at all.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Aurorus makes for a decent Stealth Rock user, (AC) as few entry hazard removers would dare attempt to remove Stealth Rock in front of it, much less stay in on Aurorus. Blizzard is Aurorus's best attack (RC) and allows Aurorus to anti-lead by OHKOing most other Focus Sash leads as well as threaten entry hazard removers such as Xatu, Shiftry, and Claydol. Freeze-Dry allows Aurorus to hit Water-types, particularly Defog users such as Pelipper, Prinplup, and Mantine, as well as Rapid Spin Kabutops. Rock Tomb is crucial for its slowing Speed-lowering (more explicit) effect (RC) and is favored over Icy Wind for its additional coverage against Fire-types, particularly Assault Vest Magmortar, and Jynx, which also lessens the need for Earth Power.

Set Details
========
Maximum Speed and with a Speed-boosting nature allows Aurorus to set up Stealth Rock on as much many foes as possible before it risks being KOed, as well as outspeed everything up to Tauros after a Rock Tomb. A Hasty nature is used over Timid to avoid weakening preserve Rock Tomb's power, and it is used over Naive as because Aurorus's special bulk is still salvageable, whereas altering Aurorus's Defense stat does not affect its ability to withstand the physical hits it can or cannot take. 32 Attack EVs let Rock Tomb cleanly 2HKOes Assault Vest Magmortar and nearly guarantees the 2HKO on Pyroar after Hail damage, assuming Pyroar has not taken Life Orb recoil. The remaining EVs go into Special Attack to power up Blizzard and Freeze-Dry. Focus Sash guarantees that Aurorus will get to use Rock Tomb and / or set up Stealth Rock. Snow Warning helps to disrupt any other Focus Sash suicide leads, and the chip damage can increase Aurorus's chances of KOing the foe with Blizzard after using Rock Tomb.

Usage Tips
========
Aurorus plays the role as a dedicated offensive lead on the team that gives little leeway for the opponent to gain ground, especially with its ability to ward off entry hazard removers. This by extension means Aurorus functions like a suicide lead, so it does not need to be preserved. Aurorus can set up Stealth Rock against a slower foe and proceed with attacking as usual.

If Aurorus is up against a faster foe not exceeding 110 base Speed and does not have any lacking priority moves, Aurorus should lead off with Rock Tomb to slow the foe down; this gives Aurorus more flexibility and wriggle room when deciding its next course of action. If Aurorus's Focus Sash is still intact, then it should try to KO its target, as it can set up Stealth Rock on the next foe anyway. If Aurorus has taken damage and / or cannot immediately KO its foe, it can just set up Stealth Rock and let its teammates revenge kill the slowed threat.

Team Options
========
Aurorus best fits on offensive teams, which best capitalize on Aurorus's its efficient Stealth Rock setup and / or early damage. Ghost-types such as Rotom, Haunter, Golurk, and Mismagius can block Rapid Spin, making them great teammates. Offensive Garbodor is an interesting partner; it can set up Spikes to complement Aurorus's Stealth Rock, cover for it against priority attacks, and even use Explosion to prevent Defog or Rapid Spin. Aurorus's other teammates should aim to keep the offensive pressure up and give no room for the opponent to try and to clear Stealth Rock; Pokemon such as Sceptile, Swellow, Jynx, Tauros, Pyroar, Barbaracle, Gorebyss, and Shiftry are such examples of powerful Pokemon with immediate offensive presence.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Choice Band Aurorus is a very viable alternative, (AC) as Aurorus has the movepool for such a set, namely containing moves like Return, Facade, Earthquake, Zen Headbutt, and even Aqua Tail, with its main draws being that it provides a powerful physical wallbreaker with strong super effective and neutral coverage and doesn't care for burns. However, the metagame is more prepared for physical attackers in general, and Choice Band Aurorus is somewhat reliant on boosted Facade to exceed the crazy high spammable damage output that Choice Specs Aurorus has.

Life Orb is an option on the Choiced Aurorus sets, but Aurorus heavily dislikes being worn down (add period, remove line break?)
Icicle Plate can boost Aurorus's main attacks, but its main attacks are already so easily spammed that being Choice-locked is of little consequence to Aurorus, plus not to mention it does not boost Aurorus's coverage moves. Choice Scarf Snow Warning Aurorus can shut down weather sweepers, but its inability to outspeed Sceptile really hurts its overall revenge killing potential. Icy Rock can be used to prolong the duration of hail, but simply using Abomasnow alongside Aurorus is probably more practical than weakening reducing Aurorus's offensive potential, (comma to period?)

Aurorus has access to Rock Polish, but it is difficult to set up due to Aurorus's low Speed and plentiful numerous weaknesses, whereas its weakness to priority moves such as Mach Punch, Aqua Jet, and Bullet Punch makes it hard to sustain the sweep. Flash Cannon on the Choice Specs set cleanly 2HKOes Piloswine and OHKOes Jynx half of the time.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fighting-type Attacks**: Fighting-types such as Sawk, Primeape, Hitmonchan, Poliwrath, and Combusken can threaten Aurorus with their STAB moves. Even non-Fighting Pokemon such as Zangoose, Garbodor, Magmortar, and Jynx can do major damage with moves like Close Combat, Drain Punch, and Focus Blast. Hitmonchan also happens to be one of the few entry hazard removers to not fear Stealth Rock Aurorus. Gurdurr can swiftly take out Aurorus with Mach Punch, whereas Hariyama and Malamar can tank a hit or two and KO with Close Combat and Superpower, respectively.

**Thick Fat Pokemon**: Thick Fat Pokemon such as Piloswine, Hariyama, Grumpig, and Miltank boast resisting a resistance to both Aurorus's powerful Ice-type attacks and Freeze-Dry while not being overly vulnerable to Aurorus's common attacking options, and all 3 three have access to super effective moves to hit Aurorus with. Hariyama does want to watch out for the occasional Psychic or even physical set, and Miltank wants heavy Special Defense investment to tank Aurorus's hits.

**Steel-type attacks**: Few Steel-types want to actually take Aurorus's attacks, but Steelix, Ferroseed, and Klinklang can usually survive one blow and retaliate for a surefire OHKO. Klinklang boasts being able the ability to OHKO Focus Sash Aurorus as well by virtue of Gear Grind. Steel-type moves are not common on non-Steel-type Pokemon, but Bullet Punch Hariyama and Iron Head / Iron Tail Tauros can prove bothersome.

**Faster Water-types**: Samurott, Kabutops, Ludicolo, Poliwrath, and Barbaracle can drown Aurorus with their powerful Water-type STAB moves. All of them must be wary of Freeze-Dry, but Poliwrath and the Rock / Water-types do well at answering the Choice Band set. (was axed, so should probably be reworded)

**Faster Grass-types**: The likes of Sceptile, Lilligant, Shiftry, and Ludicolo outspeed Aurorus and do some major damage with their STAB attacks. Be warned that Aurorus's special bulk does allow it to survive Life Orb-boosted Giga Drain from full, and of course none of these Pokemon want to switch into Aurorus's STAB. While not all Abomasnow run enough Speed investment to outrun Aurorus, some do carry Soundproof, meaning the risk of them switching into Hyper Voice for free is very real.

Last edited:

Empress

Don't waffle or you'll get pancaked
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Add Remove Comment
[OVERVIEW]
Aurorus's movepool and abilities cement its position as one of the most fearsome wallbreakers in the tier. It has Refrigerate to bolster its strong Normal-type moves and Snow Warning for a perfectly accurate Blizzard, giving it very strong Ice-type attacks to pound foes with. Aurorus's access to Freeze-Dry makes it incredibly reliable for breaking bulky cores that rely on their resistances as opposed to sheer bulk. Aurorus also boasts a large number of coverage options that let it handle almost any other obstacle, with its Ground-type attacks already forming perfectly neutral coverage alongside Aurorus's Ice-type moves. However, Aurorus's typing plagues it with common weaknesses to Fighting-(AH), Water-(AH), Grass-(AH), and Ground-type moves, which, (AC) when coupled with its mediocre Speed, (C) make it rather easy to revenge kill.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Refrigerate Hyper Voice is very strong and can penetrate Substitutes as well. Blizzard is the move of choice if Aurorus chooses Snow Warning, and it slightly outdamages Refrigerate Hyper Voice due to factoring in (subjective) hail damage. Freeze-Dry smacks Water-types such as Lanturn, (AC) and Gorebyss, and as well as OHKOing Mantine, OHKOing the last, usually making it the safer safest move to lock into and throw out against bulkier cores. It also deters the likes of Samurott and Poliwrath from trying to switch into Aurorus and threaten it out. Earth Power allows Aurorus to OHKO Pyroar, Eviolite Combusken, and Klinklang, as well as 2HKO Assault Vest Magmortar and opposing Aurorus. Frost Breath allows Aurorus to break through Calm Mind users such as Mega Audino and Musharna. Psychic is an option to hit Hariyama, although that is the extent of its usefulness.

Set Details
========
Maximum Special Attack investment with a Modest nature maximizes Aurorus's damage output. Maximum Speed investment is used to outspeed as much many Pokemon as possible, but a Timid nature is should not be considered, as it doesn't allow Aurorus to outspeed anything relevant. The remaining EVs should not be placed into HP, as it that would only allow Aurorus to switch into Stealth Rock three times. Choice Specs gives Aurorus tremendous power, boosting its wallbreaking potential; it also helps facilitate Aurorus's hit-and-run role, allowing Aurorus to deal as much damage as possible in one blow before being forced out.

If Aurorus's teammates are hindered by hail (primarily Synthesis / or Moonlight users, weather sweepers, and Sturdy Pokemon users), Refrigerate is the safer, no-drawback ability to use. If your team isn't too heavily affected by hail or you actually favor benefits from hail's aforementioned disruption against the opposing team, Snow Warning can be used.

Usage Tips
========
Due to Aurorus's low Speed and exploitable typing, it mainly functions as a hit-and-run Pokemon. It usually uses a combination of its resistances and decent bulk to switch into foes, such as like Weezing, Scyther, Haunter, Xatu, Articuno, and Choice Specs Swellow. From there, Aurorus can usually just click its most powerful Ice-type attack to shred the opponent's team, unless there is a particularly bulky foe that warrants the use of its other attacks. Although Aurorus can punch sizable holes into teams at any stage in the game, it and should usually be used early-game to maximize wallbreaking opportunities. While Aurorus doesn't require entry hazard control to function, keeping Stealth Rock off its side of the field is helpful to preserve Aurorus's health, as it switches in and out often. Snow Warning has additional utility, as it allows Aurorus to disrupt the recovery of Vileplume, Gourgeist, and Musharna and proceed to threaten them with its powerful Ice-type moves.

Team Options
========
Aurorus pairs excellently with Fighting-type Pokemon, such as Sawk, Combusken, Gurdurr, and Primeape, as Aurorus can easily threaten the likes of Weezing, Gourgeist (which one?), Vileplume, Musharna, Xatu, Swellow, and Pelipper and boasts the ability to switch in on most of them. In return, the Fighting-types do away with Steel- and Rock-types that may threaten Aurorus, as well as and improve the (your team's? Aurorus's? Be specific.) matchup against faster teams.
(line break)
Fighting-types also happen to be Aurorus's greatest enemies, as they easily force it out; Pokemon such as like Mesprit, Xatu, Weezing, Vileplume, Pelipper, and Musharna are examples of good teammates that can switch into said Fighting-types. VoltTurn support from the likes of Scyther, Primeape, Rotom, and Swellow is nice to get Aurorus into battle safely or against a favorable matchup; Scyther, Primeape, Rotom, and Swellow are all good users of this strategy .

While not necessary, Pokemon that can remove or prevent Stealth Rock can make for favorable teammates; in particular, Hitmonchan is yet another Fighting-type that benefits from Aurorus's wallbreaking, whereas Xatu and Pelipper cover many of Aurorus's weaknesses. Because Aurorus is slow and usually only threatens bulky Pokemon, fast attackers or setup sweepers are helpful to patch up Aurorus's weakness to faster teams. The likes of Sceptile, Tauros, Swellow, Scyther, Shiftry, and Lilligant fit the bill, with a few of them also covering some of Aurorus's weaknesses; in return all of them appreciate Aurorus's ability to pressure most of their checks. Aurorus also likes partners that can provide speed control, such as Thunder Wave Xatu, Baton Pass Combusken, and Tailwind Swellow.

If one is running Snow Warning Aurorus, it is important to note which Pokemon can benefit or get hindered from Hail hail. Rotom-F becomes an interesting teammate, as it can switch into Ground-type moves and its sole Ice-type STAB move in Blizzard gets improved and offers a Ground-type switch-in for Aurorus, and becomes perfectly accurate. For the latter reason, Aurorus's teammates may consider Blizzard over Ice Beam as coverage moves. Some teammates may adapt around hail, such as Magic Guard Kadabra or and Safety Goggles Sturdy Sawk, whereas Pokemon that rely on weather for recovery, such as Vileplume, Gourgeist (which one?), and Musharna, may not be advisable as teammates at all.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Aurorus makes for a decent Stealth Rock user, (AC) as few entry hazard removers would dare attempt to remove Stealth Rock in front of it, much less stay in. Blizzard is Aurorus's best attack and allows Aurorus to anti-lead by OHKOing most other Focus Sash leads as well as threaten entry hazard removers such as Xatu, Shiftry, and Claydol. Freeze-Dry allows Aurorus to hit Water-types, particularly Defog users such as Pelipper, Prinplup, and Mantine, as well as Rapid Spin Kabutops. Rock Tomb is crucial for its Speed-lowering effect and is favored over Icy Wind for its additional coverage against Fire-types, particularly Assault Vest Magmortar, and Jynx, which also lessens the need for Earth Power.

Set Details
========
Maximum Speed with a Speed-boosting nature allows Aurorus to set up Stealth Rock on as many foes as possible before it risks being KOed, as well as outspeed everything up to Tauros after a using Rock Tomb. A Hasty nature is used over Timid to preserve Rock Tomb's power, (RC) and it is used over Naive nature because Aurorus's special bulk is still salvageable, whereas altering Aurorus's Defense stat does not affect its ability to withstand the physical hits it can or cannot take. 32 Attack EVs lets Rock Tomb cleanly 2HKO Assault Vest Magmortar and nearly guarantee the 2HKO on Pyroar after Hail hail damage, assuming Pyroar has not taken Life Orb recoil. The remaining EVs go into Special Attack to power up Blizzard and Freeze-Dry. Focus Sash guarantees that Aurorus will get to use Rock Tomb or set up Stealth Rock. Snow Warning helps to disrupt any other Focus Sash suicide leads, and the chip damage can increase Aurorus's chances of KOing the foe with Blizzard after using Rock Tomb.

Usage Tips
========
Aurorus plays the role as of a dedicated offensive lead on the team that gives little leeway for the opponent opposing team to gain ground, especially with its ability to ward off entry hazard removers. This, (AC) by extension, (AC) means Aurorus functions like a suicide lead, so it does not need to be preserved. Aurorus can set up Stealth Rock against a slower foe and proceed with attacking as usual.

If Aurorus is up against a faster foe not exceeding 110 base Speed and lacking priority moves, Aurorus should lead off with Rock Tomb to slow the foe down; this gives Aurorus more flexibility and wriggle room when deciding its next course of action. If Aurorus's Focus Sash is still intact, it should try to KO its target, as it can set up Stealth Rock on the next foe anyway. (If the next foe is faster, Rock Tomb's not gonna do you any favors) If Aurorus has taken damage or cannot immediately KO its foe, it can just set up Stealth Rock and let its teammates revenge kill the slowed threat.

Team Options
========
Aurorus best fits on offensive teams, which best capitalize on its efficient Stealth Rock setup or early damage. Ghost-types such as Rotom, Haunter, Golurk, and Mismagius can block Rapid Spin, making them great teammates. Offensive Garbodor is an interesting partner; it can set up Spikes to complement Aurorus's Stealth Rock, cover for it against priority attacks, and even use Explosion to prevent the foe from using Defog or Rapid Spin. Aurorus's other teammates should aim to keep the offensive pressure up and give no room for the opponent (opposing player or opposing Pokemon? Not sure which one you're referring to here; adjust accordingly if need be) to try to clear Stealth Rock; Pokemon such as like Sceptile, Swellow, Jynx, Tauros, Pyroar, Barbaracle, Gorebyss, and Shiftry are such examples of powerful Pokemon with immediate offensive presence.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Choice Band Aurorus is a very viable alternative, as Aurorus has the movepool for such a set, containing moves like Return, Facade, Earthquake, Zen Headbutt, and even Aqua Tail, with its main draws being that it provides acts a powerful physical wallbreaker with strong super effective and neutral coverage and doesn't care for about (Not sure what to put here. A physical attacker that doesn't fear burns sound very appealing, but don't nearly all physical attackers fear burns? Pick whichever word works better.) burns. However, the metagame is more prepared for physical attackers in general, and Choice Band Aurorus is somewhat reliant on boosted Facade to exceed the crazily high spammable damage output that Choice Specs Aurorus has.

Life Orb is an option on the alternative to a Choiced Aurorus sets item, but Aurorus heavily dislikes being worn down. Icicle Plate can boost Aurorus's main attacks, but its main attacks are already so easily spammed that being Choice-locked is of little consequence to Aurorus, not to mention it the item does not boost Aurorus's coverage moves. Choice Scarf Snow Warning Aurorus can shut down weather sweepers, but its inability to outspeed Sceptile really hurts its overall revenge killing potential. Icy Rock can be used to prolong the duration of hail, but simply using Abomasnow alongside Aurorus is probably more practical than reduciing Aurorus's offensive potential.

Aurorus has access to Rock Polish, but it is difficult to set up due to Aurorus's low Speed and numerous weaknesses, whereas and its weakness to priority moves such as Mach Punch, Aqua Jet, and Bullet Punch makes it hard to sustain the sweep. Flash Cannon on the Choice Specs set cleanly 2HKOes Piloswine and OHKOes Jynx half of the time.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fighting-type Attacks**: Fighting-types such as Sawk, Primeape, Hitmonchan, Poliwrath, and Combusken can threaten Aurorus with their STAB moves. Even non-Fighting-type Pokemon such as Zangoose, Garbodor, Magmortar, and Jynx can do major damage with moves like Close Combat, Drain Punch, and Focus Blast. Hitmonchan also happens to be one of the few entry hazard removers to not fear Stealth Rock Aurorus. Gurdurr can swiftly take out Aurorus with Mach Punch, whereas Hariyama and Malamar can tank a hit or two and KO it with Close Combat and Superpower, respectively.

**Thick Fat Pokemon Users**: Thick Fat Pokemon Users such as Piloswine, Hariyama, Grumpig, and Miltank boasting a resistance to both Aurorus's powerful Ice-type attacks and Freeze-Dry while and are not being overly vulnerable to Aurorus's common attacking options, and all three (but you list four) have access to super effective moves to hit Aurorus with. However, Hariyama does want has to watch out for the occasional Psychic or even physical set, and Miltank wants heavy Special Defense investment to tank Aurorus's hits.

**Steel-type attacks Attacks**: Few Steel-types want to actually take Aurorus's attacks, but Steelix, Ferroseed, and Klinklang can usually survive one blow and retaliate for a surefire OHKO. Klinklang boasts being the ability to OHKO Focus Sash Aurorus as well by virtue of Gear Grind. Steel-type moves are not common on non-Steel-type Pokemon, but Bullet Punch Hariyama and Iron Head / or Iron Tail Tauros can prove bothersome.

**Faster Water-types**: Samurott, Kabutops, Ludicolo, Poliwrath, and Barbaracle can drown (/me rimshots) Aurorus with their powerful Water-type STAB moves, but all of them must be wary of Freeze-Dry. Poliwrath and the Rock / Water-types do especially well at answering the occasional Choice Band physical (more general b/c CB isn't a main set) set.

**Faster Grass-types**: The likes of Sceptile, Lilligant, Shiftry, and Ludicolo outspeed Aurorus and can deal do some major damage with their STAB attacks. Be warned that Aurorus's special bulk does allow it to survive Life Orb-boosted Giga Drain from full health, and, (AC) of course, (AC) none of these Pokemon want to switch into Aurorus's STAB moves. While not all Abomasnow run enough Speed investment to outrun Aurorus, some do carry Soundproof, meaning the risk of them switching into Hyper Voice for free is very real.
GP 2/2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)