Doubles AV Kyurem-B (Doubles)

Egor

нет, товарищ генерал, это вы даёте
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
RoAPL Champion

Kyurem-B @ Assault Vest
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Atk / 76 Def / 8 SpA / 80 Spe
Quiet Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power / Hidden Power Fire
- Icy Wind

Kyurem-B can take a different approach from its usual offensive one and run a more supportive Assault Vest set that can tank hits and hit back alike. Icy Wind is one of the keys to Assault Vest Kyurem-B's success that sets it apart from other Kyurem-B variants and lets it bring more utility to its team. The power loss makes this Kyurem-B unable to break past certain threats, so it requires more offensive support than usual. Still, even when the EV spread and item don't give Kyurem-B much offensively, it retains enough power to OHKO Mega Charizard Y with Fusion Bolt and 2HKO Mega Metagross with Earth Power. Defensively, Kyurem-B is able to survive an Overheat from Mega Charizard Y in sun or a Tectonic Rage from +1 Zygarde. Pokemon like Zygarde and Volcanion can pressure Steel-types, which are capable of easily KOing Kyurem-B. Pokemon with a middling Speed tier like the aforementioned Zygarde also enjoy Kyurem-B's Icy Wind.

Last edited:

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
When you mention the inability to break Steel-types, that's somewhat misleading. You 2HKO Mega Metagross with Earth Power, 2HKO Kartana with Ice Beam, and 2HKO Genesect with Fusion Bolt. The last two obviously become even more breakable if you carry HP Fire. Defensive difficult-to-break Steel-types like Bronzong, Aegislash, Ferrothorn, and Celesteela are not doing well right now. Steel-types are bigger issues because of their ability to hit Kyurem-B so hard, so having the offense that you talked about earlier isn't so much about breaking them, it's about making sure they don't break Kyurem-B. This is kind of a tough distinction to explain so if you're not sure what I mean then just let me know.

Also, I'd prefer that you work the EV description into the paragraph in a way that flows better. You could put it after the point about being weaker and say "Still, even with reduced power from less offensive investment and the lack of a boosting item, (blah blah blah)". Also, the Atk benchmark is to OHKO uninvested Zard Y with Fusion Bolt; Fini gets 2HKOed even without any Atk EVs.

I'd also like to see you highlight Icy Wind a little bit more, I think it's pretty much the key to this set's success.

I'm feeling pretty critical and nitpicky right now so I gave you kind of a lot; I trust you to do a good job with this but I'd still like to take another look after you've implemented before you send this off to GP.

Egor

is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
RoAPL Champion
When you mention the inability to break Steel-types, that's somewhat misleading. You 2HKO Mega Metagross with Earth Power, 2HKO Kartana with Ice Beam, and 2HKO Genesect with Fusion Bolt. The last two obviously become even more breakable if you carry HP Fire. Defensive difficult-to-break Steel-types like Bronzong, Aegislash, Ferrothorn, and Celesteela are not doing well right now. Steel-types are bigger issues because of their ability to hit Kyurem-B so hard, so having the offense that you talked about earlier isn't so much about breaking them, it's about making sure they don't break Kyurem-B. This is kind of a tough distinction to explain so if you're not sure what I mean then just let me know.

Also, I'd prefer that you work the EV description into the paragraph in a way that flows better. You could put it after the point about being weaker and say "Still, even with reduced power from less offensive investment and the lack of a boosting item, (blah blah blah)". Also, the Atk benchmark is to OHKO uninvested Zard Y with Fusion Bolt; Fini gets 2HKOed even without any Atk EVs.

I'd also like to see you highlight Icy Wind a little bit more, I think it's pretty much the key to this set's success.

I'm feeling pretty critical and nitpicky right now so I gave you kind of a lot; I trust you to do a good job with this but I'd still like to take another look after you've implemented before you send this off to GP.
implemented but feel kinda bad about my way of explaining the ev spread, couldn't come up with anything else unfortunately.

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
that was kind of my bad for giving you a bad setup tbh. I'm gonna give you a bullet point version of what I think would make sense and you just put it in your own words:
  • Spread and item don't give it much offensively
    • can't break things, needs partners' help
  • Still does decent damage anyway
    • OHKO Zard with Fusion Bolt, 2HKO Metagross with Earth Power
  • Defensively, takes Zard Overheat in sun after SR and +1 Zygarde Tectonic Rage regularly
    • Outspeeds Base 101 mons like Lando after Icy Wind (you might not need to mention this tbh, I'm not sure how much it adds to the analysis. Feel free to leave this point out since the offensive and defensive calcs are more important to this set than the speed tier)
(replacing this:
The power loss makes this Kyurem-B unable to break past certain threats, so it requires more offensive support than usual. Still, even with reduced power from less offensive investment and the lack of a boosting item, this Kyurem-B has enough power to OHKO Mega Charizard Y with Fusion Bolt; aside of that, the EV spread also allows Kyurem-B to survive a Meteor Mash from Mega Metagross and outpace Landorus after an Icy Wind.)

The rest looks good to me, but with making a few edits all over, make sure you read through the whole thing after you're done and check to see how it flows. QC 1/1 after implementing the above.

Egor

RoAPL Champion
implemented, thx tree. sending this to the gp.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 1/1
Kyurem-B @ Assault Vest
Quiet Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Icy Wind

Kyurem-B can take a different approach from the its usual offensive approach on itself one and run a more supportive Assault Vest set which that can tank hits and hit back alike. (weird word choice, hard? in kind?) Icy Wind here also is one of the keys of to Assault Vest Kyurem-B's success that sets it apart from other Kyurem-B variants and lets it bring more utility to its team. The power loss makes this Kyurem-B unable to break past certain threats, so it requires more offensive support than usual. Still, even when the EV spread and item don't give Kyurem-B much offensively, it still retains enough power to OHKO Mega Charizard Y with Fusion Bolt and 2HKO Mega Metagross with Earth Power. Defensively, Kyurem-B is able to survive an Overheat from Mega Charizard Y in sun or a Tectonic Rage from +1 Zygarde. Pokemon like Zygarde and Volcanion can pressure Steel-types, (AC) which are capable of easily KOing Kyurem-B. Pokemon with a middling Speed tier like the aforementioned Zygarde also enjoy Kyurem-B's Icy Wind.

Last edited:

Egor

RoAPL Champion
remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 1/1
Kyurem-B @ Assault Vest
Quiet Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Icy Wind

Kyurem-B can take a different approach from the its usual offensive approach on itself one and run a more supportive Assault Vest set which that can tank hits and hit back alike. (weird word choice, hard? in kind?) Icy Wind here also is one of the keys of to Assault Vest Kyurem-B's success that sets it apart from other Kyurem-B variants and lets it bring more utility to its team. The power loss makes this Kyurem-B unable to break past certain threats, so it requires more offensive support than usual. Still, even when the EV spread and item don't give Kyurem-B much offensively, it still retains enough power to OHKO Mega Charizard Y with Fusion Bolt and 2HKO Mega Metagross with Earth Power. Defensively, Kyurem-B is able to survive an Overheat from Mega Charizard Y in sun or a Tectonic Rage from +1 Zygarde. Pokemon like Zygarde and Volcanion can pressure Steel-types, (AC) which are capable of easily KOing Kyurem-B. Pokemon with a middling Speed tier like the aforementioned Zygarde also enjoy Kyurem-B's Icy Wind.
implemented, thx. the spotlight is done!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)