Metagame Averagemons

yeah but then you only have 5 to make a real team with
and if they outspeed then you dont even kill sometimes
and even trades dont win games, you still need to fight 5 more of them
You can put Final Gambit onto a set without compromising the whole mon. It's more like you're making a real team out of 5.75 mons.

Final Gambit might turn a normal set into a lure, letting you KO or severely weaken a mon's common switch-ins so that a teammate with the same checks can sweep. If Victini drops a Final Gambit on Solrock, Nidoking might sweep a stall team.

Also, like all suicide moves, it's nice for hyper offense to block hazard removal and keep momentum.

Hustle is an ability that's kinda being slept in on this metagame, and I'm gonna bring forward some Pokemon that can properly make use of it with their new stats.

Durant @ Life Orb
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Hone Claws
- Iron Head
- X-Scissor / Crunch / Superpower / Rock Slide
- Crunch / X-Scissor / Superpower / Rock Slide

Hustle combined with Hone Claws allows for Durant to be one of the heaviest hitting Pokemon in the tier, and also gives it a STAB Iron Head to nail opposing Pokemon with for a 30% flinch chance, dealing with the faeries, rocks, and ice types in the tier. The last two slots are entirely dependent on your coverage needs. X-Scissor is additional STAB and can nail Psychics, Darks, and is generally just a nice move to have. Crunch is also powerful and deals with Psychics, Ghosts, and has a chance for a good defense drop. Superpower is good for a powerful slam but also reduces your attack and defense by one. Rock Slide is boosted by Hone Claws and nails the pesky Flying types that would otherwise give Durant a hard time. Another thing to note about Durant is that it no longer has an incredibly low Special Defense to worry about thanks to everything having base 100 stats.

Delibird @ Choice Band / Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Drill Peck
- Ice Punch
- Ice Shard
- Seed Bomb / Brick Break

Ice and Flying STAB coming off Delibird's now incredibly heightened attack is no laughing matter, as Drill Peck / Ice Punch can wipe out a good portion of the tier. Along with this, it has STAB priority in Ice Shard that allows it to deal with scarfed Pokemon that are weak to Ice type attacks. It also has good coverage in Seed Bomb or Brick Break depending on your team's specific needs.

Darumaka @ Choice Band / Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower
- Rock Slide
- Zen Headbutt / U-Turn

Another powerful Hustle user, STAB Flare Blitz will decimate quite a bit of the tier, and Superpower is there to deal with any Rock types that attempt to get in its way. Rock Slide is for additional coverage, and the last slot is a toss up between Zen Headbutt / U-Turn depending on your individual needs. You won't often be using anything other than Flare Blitz though.

Nidorino @ Life Orb / Choice Band / Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Poison Jab
- Drill Run
- Head Smash
- Shadow Claw / Sucker Punch / Smart Strike

This one's a little more interesting because it has a move more powerful than its main STAB. Nidorino gets access to Hustle boosted Head Smash, and while the accuracy may be disappointing, its raw power isn't, as it'll plow through half of the tier. Drill Run rounds out for nice pseudo-EdgeQuake coverage, Poison Jab is Nidorino's reliable STAB with a poison chance and also nails Faeries, last move is a toss-up dependent on what you need. Shadow Claw nails Ghost and Psychic types, Sucker Punch does the same with the same base power but is also priority with a little more risk. The reason that Smart Strike is on here despite having overlapping coverage with Poison Jab is just in case you need a Fairy killing move that absolutely won't miss, as Smart Strike will always hit unless a Pokemon uses Protect.

Combee @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Bug Bite
- Tailwind
- Endeavor
- String Shot

All hail, king of Averagemons.

MAMP

MAMP!
darumaka was never banned lol

hustle is good, but most hustle mons arent as good as they look; durant is pretty scary but its coverage is limited and it struggles against a lot of common defensive mons. delibird is garbage and darumaka kills itself really quickly thanks to sr weakness and blitz recoil.

nido is interesting but poison is just such a bad offensive typing that itll be reliant on its coverage a lot of the time, most of which is weak or very innacurate

togekiss can get some mileage out of hustle with stab aa and smart strike along with espeed and drain punch
lack of setup moves and problems with fighting-neutral steels hurt it, though

MAMP

MAMP!
hey yall, just wanted to show off some fun sets i've been using:

Absol @ Absolite
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp

mega absol is a great asset for bulkier teams — it's basically mega sableye but it trades the ghost typing for wish and a wider offensive movepool. it keeps hazards off, keeps the rest of the squad healthy, and cripples its switchins with koff and wisp. very annoying to play against

Arbok @ Black Sludge
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Coil
- Gunk Shot
- Earthquake
- Seed Bomb / Rest

arbok is one of the coolest stallbreakers in the meta imo. between its resistance to status via shed skin and its good defensive typing, arbok can set up really easily against bulky teams and it's very hard to stop once it gets going. between gunk shot and seed bomb it beats both of the relevant unawares (clefable and wooper), and earthquake hits basically everything that gunk + seed bomb doesn't. here's a replay of it 6-0ing funbot's stall team: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/rom-gen7averagemons-124805

here's a really fun sticky web team i've been using a lot. i basically built it just to test out some new mons this gen but i've been having a lot of success with it so i figured i might as well share it.

Shuckle @ Mental Herb
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Sticky Web
- Encore
- Toxic

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Superpower
- Horn Leech
- Megahorn

Golem-Alola @ Life Orb
Ability: Galvanize
Jolly Nature
- Double-Edge
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Explosion

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

Dragalge @ Choice Specs
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dragon Pulse
- Sludge Bomb
- Focus Blast

Pheromosa @ Life Orb
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam

the team is fairly straightforward: shuckle is a suicide lead to set up hazards, and the rest of the team is just a bunch of webs abusers. the team's biggest flaw is that it's pretty weak to pdon — if you want to fix this, you could try replacing pheromosa with a pdon check, i've found mosa to be kinda underwhelming

heres some replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/rom-gen7averagemons-112329 vs jrm's webs
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/rom-gen7averagemons-112334 vs jrm's stall
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/rom-gen7averagemons-55596 vs dtk's stall
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/rom-gen7averagemons-54501 vs uc

BIBAREL.

Bibarel @ Leftovers
Ability: Simple
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpD
Impish Nature
- Quick Attack
- Curse
- Amnesia
- Aqua Jet

With all the stats going to 100, bibarel is here to kill.
Is basicaly one of the, not the most setup sweepers in the entire meta.
In one turn he can double his attack and his defense.
Also can triple its special defense in one turn with Amnesia.
His moves are all priority because curse decreases speed.
Oh, and you can change Curse for Swords Dance for triple the attack each turn.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/rom-gen7averagemons-133174 It worked.

Octilery surely looks lit.

Octillery @ Life Orb
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Seed Bomb
- Gunk Shot
- Waterfall
- Return

Octillery @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam
- Scald

And now... my favorite one!

Octillery @ Wide Lens
Modest Nature
- Blizzard
- Fire Blast
- Hydro Pump
- Sludge Wave
Try going for the super-effective.

Octilery surely looks lit.

Octillery @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Seed Bomb
- Gunk Shot
- Waterfall
- Return

Octillery @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam
- Scald

And now... my favorite one!

Octillery @ Wide Lens
Modest Nature
- Blizzard
- Fire Blast
- Hydro Pump
- Sludge Wave
Try going for the super-effective.
I'm not feeling it. Octillery's only obvious niche -- Sniper + Scope Lens + Focus Energy -- is outclassed by Kingdra, which has strong STAB Draco Meteors it can launch.

The physical set you describe is actually outclassed by its prevo Remoraid, which has Hustle and all of those same moves... and that in turn is probably worse than Corsola, which gets Hustle, two STABs (Liquidation + Head Smash), and some cool coverage moves in Earthquake. I guess Remoraid can be used if you really want Seed Bomb and Gunk Shot.

Special LO set doesn't have any direct competition -- Arceus-Water and Silvally-Water are stuck with Plates/Memories and Surf, and nothing else gets these exact coverage options -- but I don't think it's optimal. As a Water-type wallbreaker, Feraligatr has Sheer Force with Scald, Ice Beam, Focus Blast, and Ancient Power/Dragon Pulse -- moar power. Gyarados, Palkia, Volcanion, and Slowbro/king are all Water-types with Fire coverage, and each brings another STAB option to the table and has (except Palkia I guess) have other benefits. All except Volcanion also sport Ice Beam. If Fire coverage isn't necessary, then Clawitzer, Empoleon, Kingdra, Starmie, and Staryu all have something to offer that Octillery doesn't.

The Wide Lens set is... janky. Without a damage-boosting item, it's not gonna handle special walls it can't hit super-effectively, or any Water-types that aren't weak to a coverage move. It doesn't bring any particular utility to the table, either. And, even with Wide Lens, the moves are still somewhat inaccurate.

252+ SpA Manaphy Sludge Wave vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Manaphy: 95-112 (27.8 - 32.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252+ SpA Manaphy Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mew: 118-141 (29.2 - 34.9%) -- 99.9% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

As for Bibarel, the problem with the set you provided is that it's weak (and, for a wall, has no recovery, utility, or status protection). You won against the bot because it's stupendously bad at playing Pokemon.

+6 0 Atk Bibarel Aqua Jet vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 172-204 (42.5 - 50.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Just give it an offensive spread, Swords Dance, Quick Attack/Aqua Jet, for priority, Waterfall/Return for dealing damage, and a fourth move. The last move should be pretty flexible -- the other priority move, the other STAB move, Crunch (for Ghost-types), Z-Focus Punch (for Steel-types), and Z-Grass Knot (for Wooper) are all possibilities.

nido is interesting but poison is just such a bad offensive typing that itll be reliant on its coverage a lot of the time, most of which is weak or very innacurate
what?! you don't use poison as an offensive typing. STAB Earth Power + BoltBeam with an adjustable last slot of Stealth Rock, Sludge Wave, Fire Blast, Toxic Spikes, Taunt (!) or Focus Blast is almost impossible to defensively counter - almost everything you would think of as a natural wall can be destroyed by one of these types, forcing you to run niche stuff like Rotom-Frost or Heat which can then be lured or worn down anyway.

With its power you can 2HKO neutral targets if they aren't max spdef:

128+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Mew [STAB] Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Mew: 203-239 (50.3 - 59.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Other advantages of Nido[King/Queen] include useful immunities to Toxic and Thunder Wave, resistances to relevant types such as Electric, Fairy and Fighting and getting a free life orb boost from SF.

IMO, ban Nidoking and Nidoqueen. They put intense pressure on defensive teams* and unlike other SF mons they have immensely wide coverage. Adaptability is also nigh-broken but at least you're restricted to 2 telegraphed types.

*also, everything has base-100 speed so they don't necessarily lose to offensive threats - if you get webs up and they don't, for example.

MAMP

MAMP!
what?! you don't use poison as an offensive typing. STAB Earth Power + BoltBeam with an adjustable last slot of Stealth Rock, Sludge Wave, Fire Blast, Toxic Spikes, Taunt (!) or Focus Blast is almost impossible to defensively counter - almost everything you would think of as a natural wall can be destroyed by one of these types, forcing you to run niche stuff like Rotom-Frost or Heat which can then be lured or worn down anyway.

With its power you can 2HKO neutral targets if they aren't max spdef:

128+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Mew [STAB] Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Mew: 203-239 (50.3 - 59.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Other advantages of Nido[King/Queen] include useful immunities to Toxic and Thunder Wave, resistances to relevant types such as Electric, Fairy and Fighting and getting a free life orb boost from SF.

IMO, ban Nidoking and Nidoqueen. They put intense pressure on defensive teams* and unlike other SF mons they have immensely wide coverage. Adaptability is also nigh-broken but at least you're restricted to 2 telegraphed types.

*also, everything has base-100 speed so they don't necessarily lose to offensive threats - if you get webs up and they don't, for example.
wrong nido, i was responding to someone's post about hustle nidorino. i sorta agree that nidoking/queen is kinda dumb, but this tier isnt played nearly actively enough for me or anyone else to have a really informed opinion about suspects, there isnt really a 'metagame' per se

Shaymin @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Seed Flare
- Synthesis
- Tailwind
- Protect

Yea its typing is shit, but look at this guy.
A good recover option in Sythesis, Seed Flare (40% chance of decreasing the oponent's Sp.Def by 2), and an OK support movepool.
Aromatheraphy, Leech Seed, Toxic, Tailwind.
This guy can wallbreak with Seed Flare and still support its team.
Any opinions on this?

Shaymin @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Seed Flare
- Synthesis
- Tailwind
- Protect

Yea its typing is shit, but look at this guy.
A good recover option in Sythesis, Seed Flare (40% chance of decreasing the oponent's Sp.Def by 2), and an OK support movepool.
Aromatheraphy, Leech Seed, Toxic, Tailwind.
This guy can wallbreak with Seed Flare and still support its team.
Any opinions on this?
Shaymin makes a decent all arounder, but it can be easily replaced with comfey or even tropius.
This set can be easily walled with only seed flare.
Arceus, as much as i personally hate it, can pull off the same tactic with a hard hitting judgement or swords dance E speed.

Pikachu @ Pikanium Z
Ability: Static
EVs: 100 Atk / 156 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Volt Tackle
- Surf
- Nasty Plot / Volt Switch / Thunderbolt / coverage
- Quick Attack

Pokémon exclusive Z moves might be a threat in this meta. Like, imagine getting swept by a Pikachu or Eevee. Well guess what? That isn’t half bad in this meta. Pikachu is an amazing mixed attacker and Z move user, albeit it has competition with Eevee.

Clamperl @ Deep Sea Scale
Ability: Shell Armor (preferred) / Rattled
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Barrier
- Aqua Ring
- Clamp
- Confuse Ray

With the Deep Sea Scale unban, we have our most bulky mon here. Of course, set up Aqua Ring first turn for free leftovers. Barrier is to help that defense out a lot. Confuse Ray and Clamp make it a very stally Pokémon.

Bidoof @ Leftovers
Ability: Simple
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Crunch
- Amnesia / other filler
- Aqua Tail

“BIDOOF? PFFFFT”
For once, Bidoof is actually a god. Swords Dance gives him +4 Attack. Why I’m not using Bibarel? That’s easy: better typing.

Last edited:
In response to GamerOGuy's Pikachu set, how about a pure Special Sweeper set?

Pikachu @ Life Orb/Leftovers
Ability: Static/Lighting Rod (Either or)
EVs: 252 SpA/252 Spe/4 HP
Timid/Modest Nature
-Thunderbolt
-Surf
-Nasty Plot
-Filler (Knock Off/Signal Beam/Grass Knot/Hidden Power).

(Edited because Surf is illegal on Ash Cap Pikachu)

Last edited:
A more serious take on fat Clamperl would probably look something like this:

Clamperl @ Deepseascale
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Whirlpool
- Toxic
- Rest
- Barrier / Scald / Sleep Talk

Whirlpool (not Clamp cuz Whirlpool avoids Rocky Helmet chip) + Toxic should be able to wear down anything without dedicated recovery, while Rest is a much more reliable method of recovery than Aqua Ring. Last slot can go to Barrier to shore up Defense, Scald for less passivity (it can't really break burnt opponents though), or Sleep Talk to put out pressure while asleep.

252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoking Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Deep Sea Scale Clamperl: 112-133 (27.7 - 32.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Exploud Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Deep Sea Scale Clamperl: 114-135 (28.2 - 33.4%) -- 0% chance to 3HKO

As seen here, a max SpD spread lets Clamperl comfortably come in on these attacks and stall the user out with Rest. This could probably see usage on stall.

togekiss can get some mileage out of hustle with stab aa and smart strike along with espeed and drain punch
lack of setup moves and problems with fighting-neutral steels hurt it, though
Togekiss can get Drain Punch? Huh, I forgot about that.

Also, you forgot to mention Ghost-types, ESPECIALLY Aegislash and Rotom-Normal [who both resist Aerial Ace and Smart Strike] (although it doesn't like seeing Chandelure, Sableye, Spiritomb, Giratina, Necrozma-Dawn-Wings, Lunala, Pallosand or Golurk either). You could fix this by running Zen Headbutt, but Aegislash would still hard wall Physical Togekiss, as would Sableye and Spiritomb.

I would like to share my opinions on this pokemon.

Yes, This one. Considering the maximum HP here is 404, Parental Bond Seismic Toss can 2HKO nearly anything after rocks (guaranteed if it isn't max HP). I've even starting to build a bulkier spread like 252 HP / 252 Speed Jolly, full physdef/spdef and have RestTalk or WishTect. Only full physdef Ghost that can take a Crunch like Sableye can reliably switch in on it. I'm not sure if regular Scrappy Band Kangaskhan is a thing just to bait Ghost and bluff a Mega. Rocky Helmet Ferro can chip it, but doesn't have any reliable recovery and Kangaskhan might run a recovery move for it. I think this one should be look at.

I'd like to talk about the fantastic pre-evo for Ninjask and Shedinja, that's right, NIN-FUCKIN'CADA

Have you seen this little dude's design? He's ready to pounce up and STEAL. YO. BITCH.
Now that it has fantastic stats, let's talk about what this Pokemon has going for it.

Bug / Ground typing? Why, that gives this kick-ass little bug resistances to Fighting, Poison, and Ground. Along with an immunity to Electric type moves! While it does give it a nasty four weaknesses to Water, Ice, Fire, and Flying, this is overshadowed by his useful resistances, immunity, and longevity. Nincada is one of only two Pokemon that gets this typing, and the other one is Wormadam. Who gives two fucks about Wormadam? Stupid little ball thing, (I'm just pissed that my gimmick team in OU with Wormadam blew, but fuck off Nincada rules)

Weather? Fuck your shit weather, Nincada has a Ground typing making it undamaged by Sandstorm, and Solar Beam with HP Fire to take advantage of Sun teams.

Nincada has a fair amount of unpredictability due to his small but well tailored move pool, allowing it to take on multiple threats and effectively end up as a stop gap to certain Pokemon that terrorize the metagame.

Bulky Special Sweeper:

Nincada @ Leftovers
Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Rest Talk Staller:

Nincada @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Leech Life
- Night Slash / Return
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

Utility Sacrificial Mon:

Nincada @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Leech Life
- Final Gambit
- Toxic
- Protect

Other valid movepool options are: Hone Claws, Facade, Substitute, STAB Dig (lol), STAB Mud Slap (double lol), Endure, Solar Beam, Sunny Day, Sandstorm.

The possibilities are endless. I love this little fucker, so get out there and give him a whirl. For me.

Ivy

resident enigma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor
Nincada is among the only ground-types to not learn Earthquake, so that makes me extremely sad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)