old routines always kept us apart
name: Thick Fat
move 1: Protect
move 2: Chilling Water
move 3: Encore / Perish Song
move 4: Play Rough
ability: Thick Fat
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
tera type: Ground
- Azumarill functions as a niche Koraidon, Chi-Yu, and Chien-Pao check on defensive teams thanks to its decent invested bulk and Thick Fat. However, Azumarill is extremely passive, even for bulky teams; it also can get overwhelmed by the Pokemon it's supposed to check due to its lack of reliable recovery.
- Encore locks Pokemon like Corviknight, Annihilape, and Espathra into unfavorable moves. Perish Song can be used instead to immediately threaten Pokemon like Substitute Great Tusk, Koraidon, Garganacl, and Tera Fairy Miraidon with an OHKO; it's also Azumarill's only way to punish Shed Tail attempts from Cyclizar.
- Chilling Water lets Azumarill check Dragon Dance Pokemon like Baxcalibur and Dragonite.
- Tera Ground gives Azumarill an immunity to Electric-type attacks, such as Wild Charge from Koraidon and Parabolic Charge from Miraidon.
- Azumarill should always be sent into Koraidon, Chi-Yu, and Chien-Pao to scout their moves and either click Perish Song to gain momentum or use Protect to recover some HP.
- Other checks to Koraidon, Chi-Yu, and Chien-Pao, such as Alomomola, Dachsbun, and Toxapex, are recommended, as Azumarill can potentially be taken out by the Pokemon it's supposed to check. Alomomola also helps Azumarill by passing Wish. Strong specially defensive Pokemon, such as Clodsire and Blissey, are also a must; Azumarill checks Koraidon and Chien-Pao in return.
- Written by: [[corvere, 306317]]
- Quality checked by: [[Manaphy, 50695], [Lasen, 273339]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Aurora, 109385]]