Ladder Balanced Hackmons

Magic Bounce is probably my favorite of these to have on sweepers because you can basically boost unimpeded by status conditions, Whirlwind, or Prankster annoyance. The main things that can stop a Magic Bounce sweeper from boosting and sweeping are Shedinja, Mold Breaker (a very good counter to this strategy), Heart Swap (a really good move that no one uses anymore), and Haze (again, no one uses it). (You can be Psycho Shifted or Tricked something, but that won't be too much of a detriment.)

Any kind of boosting is relatively weak to Imposter, so I use a standard anti-Imposter Ghost type.
I have found that substitute is probably the best move on boosting sweepers. It blocks topsy turvy, parting shot, prankster spore, and imposter, as well as preventing the fake out flinch and absorbing other attacks. Substitute is very useful, because it also lets you scout, and it has great synergy with spore. Once you have a sub up, magic bounce and magic coat don't cause you to put yourself go sleep, making spore and even dark void much better options. Spore helps get around unawares, and I often run mold breaker to help spore and kill sheddy. Of course, it isn't feasible to run all of this on one sweeper, because then you have two move slots to attack and boost, but all of these have helped sweepers that I have used in the past.

One thing that really hurt set up sweeping was the tendency towards hyper offense, especially before parental bond was banned. Boomburst goes through sub, safety goggles curbs many a free set up, and extremespeed/fake out are both strong enough to punch stuff in the face once the sub is gone. I haven't played much with trying to get sweepers around those, probably because I haven't played much in general, but I like the idea of boosting sweepers being better in general. Sniper seems like a very strong ability, a pity that dragons now have to deal with fairies.

What sets are the PH gigas running these days?

Depends on the 'mon in question's STABs. If it has really spectacular STAB coverage (Mamoswine, not that using it is a good idea) Adaptability might be better than Protean. There's other things like Super Luck (Critspam, although I've seen it less recently), Sniper (same), Guts (Why?), Mold Breaker (No shedblocking for you) Vital Spirit (Prankspores, eat your heart out) immunity abilities in general (Flash Fire, Levitate, all of that group) and Magic Bounce (Prankster Topsy-Turvy? No) that might go upin useage. Mostly it'll be Protean users, although there'll be niche things like the group above, or even really odd stuff like Filter.
You're kind of forgetting probably the most important ability: Poison Heal!

Poison Heal sweepers such as Regigigas haven't been used in quite a while despite their effectiveness, we have new powerful PH Pokemon such as Mega Gyarados, Yveltal and many more!

What sets are the PH gigas running these days?
I have no clue why nobody is using PH Regigigas, almost no one in the ladder is prepared for it.... (except for the people that use my anti-gigas core or the PH Giratina set)

I have found that substitute is probably the best move on boosting sweepers. It blocks topsy turvy, parting shot, prankster spore, and imposter, as well as preventing the fake out flinch and absorbing other attacks.
Substitute does not block Parting Shot because Parting Shot is a Sound based move. I didn't realize it was until I looked it up, but it makes sense as it goes right through sub.

Well there's two things to note about sniper. At max crit chance with scope lens and focus energy, you have 100% crit chance. So all your hits will be doing double damage and you can ignore stat drops, allowing you to spam moves like Draco meteor.
The other thing to note is that imposter does not copy focus energy, effectively making sniper sets somewhat imposter resistant, because they copy your spA drops but not your crit chance.
There's a number of combinations that allow 100% crits; Super Luck and Focus Energy, Focus Energy and a high-crit move... It dends on whether you want good moves, a different Ability, or a different item. I don't think Super Luck, Scope Lens and a high crit move together make 100%, but I could be wrong. Critspam is anti-Imposter to a degree, seeing as they copy neither the item or the Focus Energy boost, but they can be hurt if the Imposter gets in quickly enough. So far, the best things I've found for this have been Reshiram and Dialga; They both get Draco Meteor STAB and have sufficient defense to tank a hit on one or the other side of the spectrum. Reshiram is slightly better offensively as it gets STAB on Overheat too, but Dialga has better resistances. FOllowing them is Palkia and Mewtwo-Y; They're less bulky (And thus, more vulnerable to Extremespeed spam) but have better Speed and in MM2Y's case better Special Attack. MM2Y has the disadvantage of worse STAB too though. Last one I've seen be relatively useful is Arceus; DOesn't have the type to support anything save Boomburst as STAB and has lower offense, but has the defense to back itself up more favourably.

Of course, you do have to get past the inevitable Shedinja. Leech Seed or Infestation is probably best for this but Weather is useful too. You also have the option to run Mold Breaker to counter this, and the occasionaly idiot using Shell Armour. Speaking of different Abilities, there's been a couple of variations I've seen where rather than Sniper the person ran Contrary; Far less Imposter-resistant but dangerous as hell to anything not faster than it, given that Crits make Topsy-Turvy only reduce the attacks to base power and Unaware has the same problem.

So guys seen as there has been some people whom have faced me in BH that have either complimented or told me to fuck off with some of these sets I've have come up with along the days of play.
I have decided to share the best cream top of my BH silliness;

Warning: Contains variable amount of hax gimmick.

Gimmick master mega Gyarados, mr Jerk.
Gyarados-Mega (Gyarados-Mega) @ King's Rock
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 SDef / 252 Spd
Careful Nature
- Water Shuriken
- Sucker Punch
- Recover
- Teeter Dance/Sacred Fire/Bodyu Slam/Other Filler

Fun fact: While Serene Grace and King's do not stack when a move has flinch already, they do stack and raise the flinch chance when the move DOES NOT have a secondary effect already!
So why not give it to the stab water shuriken for priority flinch? 100% nuinsance assured.

Sucker punch is obligatory stab move, recover is obvious recovery.

Last move is up to preference.
Teeter dance is not blocked by magic bounce. Making it an excellent tool of nuinsance.
Sacred fire if you want to get less gimmicky

Imposters will not gain flinch benefit for impostering this set giving it a little extra cherry on the top.

Liepard V2.

Yveltal (Yveltal) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
Careful Nature
- Teeter Dance
- Foul Play
- Glare
- Substitute

As said above: Teeter dance is not blocked by magic bounce, allowing you to teeter dance and inflict the classic SwagPlay Liepard to those magic bouncers.
But is it worth it without the attack raise? Yes and No. Depends if your opponent was smart enough to remove their attack EVS/IVs if you're against a support/special attacker
Regardless, there's nothing more fun than the teeth grind you get when your foe expected to block this guy with his magic bouncer

The Cube Blocker

Doublade (Doublade) @ Eviolite
Ability: Mummy
Careful Nature
- Recover
- Pursuit
- Gear Grind/Gyro Ball
- Sacred Fire/Magic Coat/Other filler

Welcome to the one of the more annoying checks to refridge cube and sturdy sheddy.
After long journey of finding the perfect ghost type for this job, it finally hit me in the face:
Doublade. With excellent defenses after eviolite and a very useable attack stat, this thing does the job it is suppoused to do:
Fuck over Refridges, Pixies, Aerilates that touch it, get cocky sheddies to panic and pursuit die and dish out some damage and status

This thing is very specifiliazed so tread lightly

Whenever you find these things useful or not or just want to have little troll play/fun, is up to you.
but I will not recommend all of these for serious laddering.

Kit Kasai

Love colored magic
I like the cube counter, but note that it doesn't actually work as a shed counter. Mummy only works on contact moves, and the only contact move shedinja carries (or should be carrying) is endeavor, which doesn't affect doublade anyways.

Otherwise, it's a great counter. Its massive physical bulk allows it to take common coverage moves like bolt strike. Maybe not earthquake though...

For Mega Gyra, why not replace Teeter Dance with Chatter? Same accuracy, bypasses Magic Bounce and Sub, and has the flinch chance to top things off.

I used an interesting anti-imposter core. It was a smash xerneas + levitate heatran, with the smash xerneas running earth power and boomburst, along with water judgment, which my tran could easily wall.

Edit: Teeter dance bypasses bounce, but chatter is still better imo.

Kit Kasai

Love colored magic
There's a number of combinations that allow 100% crits; Super Luck and Focus Energy, Focus Energy and a high-crit move... It dends on whether you want good moves, a different Ability, or a different item. I don't think Super Luck, Scope Lens and a high crit move together make 100%, but I could be wrong. Critspam is anti-Imposter to a degree, seeing as they copy neither the item or the Focus Energy boost, but they can be hurt if the Imposter gets in quickly enough. So far, the best things I've found for this have been Reshiram and Dialga; They both get Draco Meteor STAB and have sufficient defense to tank a hit on one or the other side of the spectrum. Reshiram is slightly better offensively as it gets STAB on Overheat too, but Dialga has better resistances. FOllowing them is Palkia and Mewtwo-Y; They're less bulky (And thus, more vulnerable to Extremespeed spam) but have better Speed and in MM2Y's case better Special Attack. MM2Y has the disadvantage of worse STAB too though. Last one I've seen be relatively useful is Arceus; DOesn't have the type to support anything save Boomburst as STAB and has lower offense, but has the defense to back itself up more favourably.

Of course, you do have to get past the inevitable Shedinja. Leech Seed or Infestation is probably best for this but Weather is useful too. You also have the option to run Mold Breaker to counter this, and the occasionaly idiot using Shell Armour. Speaking of different Abilities, there's been a couple of variations I've seen where rather than Sniper the person ran Contrary; Far less Imposter-resistant but dangerous as hell to anything not faster than it, given that Crits make Topsy-Turvy only reduce the attacks to base power and Unaware has the same problem.
crits got nerfed this gen, but crit chance got buffed.
you only need 3 levels of crit for 100%, so scope lens (1) and focus energy (2) gives you 100% crit.

crits got nerfed this gen, but crit chance got buffed.
you only need 3 levels of crit for 100%, so scope lens (1) and focus energy (2) gives you 100% crit.
I know. You may have noticed the variety of critspammers I run; All those combinations I listed were things that do the same. The only one I mentioned as potentially not being 100% was Super Luck, Scope Lens and HCM.

Also, Chatter works for Chatot. I have not seen it work for anything else. Whether this has changed since the last time I tried it I don't know.

If Sub use goes up, Infiltrator and Skill Link would be ideal ways to bypass them without sound moves. As said before, Skill Link Kyu-B is still as nasty as ever, perhaps more so because everyone prepares for Refrige Kyu-B and may not be prepared for what Skill Link can do. Infiltrator can fit on pretty much any sweeper and, while I've not used it recently, it did net critical KOs right through sub on some test teams.

Also, if you can manage the residual damage, Guts is handy for an Imposter resistant set. Some Adaptability mons, like Zekrom and Mega Blaziken, can be hard to wall without dedicated counters and this is problematic if you either lack those or they do down and your sweeper gets Impostered. Guts avoids this so long as you don't status the Imposter. Quick Feet works too since a lot of stuff can outspeed the unboosted metag-game with a Quick Feet boost and can set themselves to OHKO Imposter switch-ins safely.

I love BH. Come back to me!

Anyway I have been trying out a couple things on the BH ladder. Here are my favorite sets so far:

Tyranitar-Mega @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
Careful Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Crunch
- Knock Off / Drain Punch
- Stone Edge / Head Smash

Probably my favorite set in all of balanced hackmons at the moment. Mega-Tyranitar is just incrediblly bulky. He has 404 HP / 399 Def / 837 SpD when including both Assault Vest and Sandstorm. He has so much special bulk he can comfortably check Mega-Mewtwo Y without Secret Sword.

252 SpA Mewtwo Aura Sphere vs. +1 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in sand: 128-152 (31.68 - 37.62%) -- 90.28% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Mewtwo Aura Sphere vs. +1 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in sand: 166-198 (41.08 - 49%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Not to mention that Tyranitar's Dark STAB is really good. Crunch does a decent chunk to Giratina and, Sucker Punch makes a great move to check Mewtwo and Lugia, and STAB Knock Off becomes incredibly annoying to the opponent with imposters. Drain Punch gives me some recovery and let's me hit Steel-types harder than Crunch. It's a hard choice. Stone Edge is his most powerful move that doesn't have recoil. But considering that TTar has a large HP stat that makes the recoil lesser, that power can sometimes come in handy. Pair it with Giratina and you are good to go. Also it makes a nice anti-Shedninja poke with Knock Off + Sandstream.

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Head Smash
- Earthquake
- Tailwind

Revenge killer, wall-breaker, and game saver sums up what Mega-Aerodactyl does. Mega Aerodactyl completely outclasses Archeops except for the inability to use special attack. He has significantly more bulk, more speed, and higher attack when using an Adamant nature. Brave Bird is one of the more powerful priorities in the tier and it is great for revenge killing errant Mewtwo-X. Since Aerodactyl has very high speed, his priority out-prioritizes almost everyone else. The extra bulk + Rock-typing is good for staying alive vs Extremespeed users like Slaking.

Arceus @ Fist Plate
Ability: Scrappy
Modest Nature / Timid
- Boomburst
- Judgment
- Quiver Dance / Tail Glow
- Magic Coat

You want a powerful sweeper that is easy to counter when impostered, but has completely unresisted coverage? If the answer is yes, say hello to Boomburst Scrappy Arceus. Boomburst is a very powerful attack backed by STAB. Fighting Judgement nails Aegislash and Mega-Tyranitar. If a Imposter Pokemon comes in, all they will have his mono-normal coverage. This is easy to stop with an Unaware Steel-type such as Aegislash or Tyranitar.

edit: bobbyvaporeon it doesn't have multitype. I have used it on PS! and it stays normal.

Last edited:

Anyway I have been trying out a couple things on the BH ladder. Here are my favorite sets so far:

Arceus @ Fist Plate
Modest Nature / Timid
- Boomburst
- Judgment
- Magic Coat

You want a powerful sweeper that is easy to counter when impostered, but has completely unresisted coverage? If the answer is yes, say hello to Boomburst Scrappy Arceus. Boomburst is a very powerful attack backed by STAB. Fighting Judgement nails Aegislash and Mega-Tyranitar. If a Imposter Pokemon comes in, all they will have his mono-normal coverage. This is easy to stop with an Unaware Steel-type such as Aegislash or Tyranitar.
The problem is that Fist Plate would turn Arceus into a Fighting Type.

Arceus doesn't have Multitype though, so it's still normal. That looks interesting, but I think Ghostceus is better.

Arceus @ Spooky Plate
Ability: Multitype
-Magic Coat
-Tail Glow
-Judgment
-Secret Sword

Hits on both the physical and special side of the spectrum, probably has a slightly better typing, and can't get forced out by Chansey.

Also, if you are going to run your Scrappy Arc set, I would use a random ghost over a more specific counter.

Ghost w/Ghost Judgment + Fighting move is one of the most basic anti-Imposter sets. Arceus gets bonus points for being able to fake a different type though. Arceus using Scrappy and Fighting/Normal?

+3 252+ SpA Arceus-Chansey Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Arceus-Normal: 412-486 (92.79 - 109.45%) -- 56.25% chance to OHKO
+3 252 SpA Arceus-Chansey Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Arceus-Normal: 375-442 (84.45 - 99.54%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Meanwhile, (Chansey's defenses set to Arceus's ones)

+3 252 SpA Fist Plate Arceus-Normal Judgment vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 288-340 (40.9 - 48.29%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+3 252+ SpA Fist Plate Arceus-Normal Judgment vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 316-372 (44.88 - 52.84%) -- 25.78% chance to 2HKO

That's not a match you're winning anytime soon, unless you run Timid and have significant prior damage, and even then it's 50/50.

On Aerodactyl, I take it that running Tailwind with a Choice Band is a last-second team support thing?

I'd opt for U-Turn over Tailwind. Using Tailwind kills your momentum as you're forced out either way and possibly into a bad situation (Kyu-B, for example, is laughing if it switched in on your Tail Wind). Not to mention you lose a turn using it and a turn on the switch. Meanwhile, U-Turn lets you counter their switch to maintain momentum.

Whatwasthatnoise That is true. But I never said that Arceus stopped itself. Just that you could counter it with your own unaware Steel-type / Rock-type since it has mono-normal coverage, while you have unresisted with a lot of power to spam Boomburst with.

Rumors You don't use Tailwind unless you know the opponent will kill you. We saw this used successfully by rain teams in last gen's OU with Tornadus and this gen's OU with Talonflame. It's good when paired with a wallbreaker at the end of the game because you will outspeed the imposter / all other offensive pokemon.

Tyranitar-Mega @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
Careful Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Crunch
- Knock Off / Drain Punch
- Stone Edge / Head Smash

Probably my favorite set in all of balanced hackmons at the moment. Mega-Tyranitar is just incrediblly bulky. He has 404 HP / 399 Def / 837 SpD when including both Assault Vest and Sandstorm. He has so much special bulk he can comfortably check Mega-Mewtwo Y without Secret Sword.

252 SpA Mewtwo Aura Sphere vs. +1 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in sand: 128-152 (31.68 - 37.62%) -- 90.28% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Mewtwo Aura Sphere vs. +1 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in sand: 166-198 (41.08 - 49%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Not to mention that Tyranitar's Dark STAB is really good. Crunch does a decent chunk to Giratina and, Sucker Punch makes a great move to check Mewtwo and Lugia, and STAB Knock Off becomes incredibly annoying to the opponent with imposters. Drain Punch gives me some recovery and let's me hit Steel-types harder than Crunch. It's a hard choice. Stone Edge is his most powerful move that doesn't have recoil. But considering that TTar has a large HP stat that makes the recoil lesser, that power can sometimes come in handy. Pair it with Giratina and you are good to go. Also it makes a nice anti-Shedninja poke with Knock Off + Sandstream.

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Head Smash
- Earthquake
- Tailwind

Revenge killer, wall-breaker, and game saver sums up what Mega-Aerodactyl does. Mega Aerodactyl completely outclasses Archeops except for the inability to use special attack. He has significantly more bulk, more speed, and higher attack when using an Adamant nature. Brave Bird is one of the more powerful priorities in the tier and it is great for revenge killing errant Mewtwo-X. Since Aerodactyl has very high speed, his priority out-prioritizes almost everyone else. The extra bulk + Rock-typing is good for staying alive vs Extremespeed users like Slaking.

Arceus @ Fist Plate
Modest Nature / Timid
- Boomburst
- Judgment
- Magic Coat

edit: bobbyvaporeon it doesn't have multitype. I have used it on PS! and it stays normal.
One of the biggest problems about these sets is that they lack recovery, they cannot last in the long run against a more defensive team.

Mega Tyranitar is better off with just Leftovers and a recovery move because it cannot last with Assault Vest, I recommend using AV with Regenerator.

Arceus looks pretty good except that it lacks a recovery move, also, Scrappy isn't worth it even though it allows you to hit ghosts, it really isn't, use a better ability with a Spooky Plate Judgment instead.

Mega Aerodactyl already has enough speed to pose a huge threat I recommend using it with Magic Guard, this will allow it to not be a kamikaze while still maintaining a reasonable amount of power, especially with a Life Orb, I would recommend:

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Life Orb / Toxic Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Head Smash
- Flare Blitz
- Tailwind

If you wish to keep a Galewings user, Mega Aerodactyl is really not ideal because it already has so much speed that it can outrun practically the entire tier. Rayquaza and Yveltal are much more effective with Galewings because they have enough bulk to abuse instant recovery, and most of the time, without any form of recovery, your set will not be very effective.

These are just my opinions on your sets, hope they helped.

Rumors You don't use Tailwind unless you know the opponent will kill you. We saw this used successfully by rain teams in last gen's OU with Tornadus and this gen's OU with Talonflame. It's good when paired with a wallbreaker at the end of the game because you will outspeed the imposter / all other offensive pokemon.
I can see where you're coming with that but, personally, since bulk is quite high in BH and Prankster is everywhere, I'd rather not rely on sacrificing a mon to set-up a three-turn speed boost for a wall-breaker, especially since most wall breakers rely either on boosting, Choice items, or SE hits to get the job done. Even against a weakened team, three turns isn't likely enough to pull a sweep and, if it is, you could just as easily use a Quick Feet or Speed Boost user to the same effect (or probably any sweeper, really). And if they still have a Prankster up, they can just Sub/Recover/Spore/Dbond against your wall breaker until the speed runs out.

Again, that's just my preference.

Also, I'll second Adrian's Mega-Dactyl set, though I'll suggest Hi Jump Kick as an option if you need Fighting coverage more, such as for dealing with Flash Fire Ferrothorn.

Kit Kasai

Love colored magic
I have a somewhat gimmicky set that I've been trying out, and it seems pretty interesting:

Gengar @ Gengarite
Ability: Illusion
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 252 Def / 252 SDef
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Perish Song
- Protect
- Recover
- Soak/Filler

Basically, through gengarite you can get around the shadow tag ban.

The way you use this set is you switch into something that would normally check the rest of your team. After that you mega evolve and use perish song on the same turn. Most likely your opponent will have switched into something that checks the illusion, and you can perish trap that. Soak is used to trap ghost types, but I'm not sure if it's the best choice, because it requires an extra turn of setup.
It has a bold nature because gengar is pretty fast already. Anything faster than you is either deo-s, which you can still trap, or Mewtwo x/y, which can one shot you. Bold allows it to be able to recover/protect stall pokemon like Mega Tyranitar.

I have a somewhat gimmicky set that I've been trying out, and it seems pretty interesting:

Gengar @ Gengarite
Bold Nature
- Perish Song
- Protect
- Recover
- Soak/Filler

The way you use this set is you switch into something that would normally check the rest of your team. After that you mega evolve and use perish song on the same turn. Most likely your opponent will have switched into something that checks the illusion, and you can perish trap that. Soak is used to trap ghost types, but I'm not sure if it's the best choice, because it requires an extra turn of setup.
It has a bold nature because gengar is pretty fast already. Anything faster than you is either deo-s, which you can still trap, or Mewtwo x/y, which can one shot you. Bold allows it to be able to recover/protect stall pokemon like Mega Tyranitar.
This set is very creative but very risky (many players scout excessively with switch spam moves for example) your best bet would be to make Mega Mewtwo-X/Y the illusions, many people rely on Imposter to scout those Pokemon's moveset.

Shedinja might be an interesting choice for the illusion as well.
The most common switch in to Shedinja is Giratina, which is immune to traps, this will often kill the element of surprise. The best Illusion for this set would be for Pokemon that are often Imposter-Bait (you won't trap the Parting Shot Imposters, not sure if anyone uses it besides me but it's worth a mention.)

Gengar @ Gengarite
Bold Nature
- Perish Song
- Protect
- Recover
- Soak/Filler

I really like the use of Illusion here. Unlike the somewhat popular Belly Drum Slaking set (which has limited success), I could see this trapping a variety of checks on a somewhat regular basis. Soak would nullify a Ghost typing in addition to making attacks unstabbed against Gengar but I a different option could be Taunt. Though this could get Gengar KO-ed, it will stop a support mon with Parting Shot from escaping (unless they are Magic Bounce and then Gengar is in trouble).

Kit Kasai

Love colored magic
I really like the use of Illusion here. Unlike the somewhat popular Belly Drum Slaking set (which has limited success), I could see this trapping a variety of checks on a somewhat regular basis. Soak would nullify a Ghost typing in addition to making attacks unstabbed against Gengar but I a different option could be Taunt. Though this could get Gengar KO-ed, it will stop a support mon with Parting Shot from escaping (unless they are Magic Bounce and then Gengar is in trouble).
Yup. Yet another result of my endless obsession with illusion.

I think taunt/encore are viable options over soak, but I'm also considering running an attacking move in that slot instead.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)