Baton Pass v12

As it stands, this is how every tier handles Baton Pass:

SS - banned

SM - banned

ORAS - banned

BW - Baton Pass Clause: Limit one Baton Passer, can't pass Spe and other stats simultaneously
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen5ou-545622 (it's awful so just simplify it at this point)

DPP - banned

ADV - 3 Baton Pass Clause: Limit three Baton Passers (edit: bp is also banned on smeargle)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen3ou-546028 (the ladder folk can attest to this even more)

GSC - nothing
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen2ou-544760
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen2ou-498495
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen2ou-493279

~

We've been dancing around this issue for over 10 years now - let's cut the bullshit and just remove it from our website for good.

Last edited:

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Speaking on behalf of fairygens, we decided to ban the move Baton Pass. This was done after years of arbitrary clauses being in place. We banned the move for the sake of stopping any chance at reinventing the archetype under new restrictions, which had happened multiple times with the initial limitations, and having a concrete solution. Banning the move has been a success in my eyes; the collateral is very minimal, it avoided dancing around the issues one slow step at a time, and the ban list is no longer cluttered with arbitrary nonsense.

I only feel qualified to discuss BW OU of the other older generations currently, but I would be fine with taking this approach (banning Baton Pass the move) if people believe the status quo should change. I do not personally like the status quo as it is an arbitrary, complex solution to a problem that leaves room for new exploits. While elodin fell short against me with a Baton Pass strategy, it is clear that there is potential with these teams and I worry what will occur when they see more optimizations and usage (note: this is not a shot at elodin's team either as I am sure it was optimal, but rather me saying there are likely other passers and partners worth exploring).

I understand people will consider discussion of this premature due to it only seeing one use and not even winning, but I think this discussion should also be conducted on a conceptual level. The prospect of Baton Pass oriented teams -- where the entire strategy hinges on Baton Pass allowing boosts to be passed to circumstantial win conditions -- is something we have continuously removed from our tiers. As the OP indicates, there is a point in time when we should cut the bullshit and just remove it from our formats for good.

As for collateral in BW OU, the main Pokemon hurt by this would be Celebi, who uses Baton Pass sets without causing much of an issues in the current metagame. Gliscor, Mew, and Zapdos are other users, but Mew was the passer on elodin's team and the other two rarely use the move Baton Pass, with Zapdos hardly ever seeing usage to begin with. It would be sad to see Celebi's viability take a hit, but this should not stand in the way of doing what may very well be the best thing.

I echo the sentiments expressed in the OP.

I only feel qualified to discuss BW OU of the other older generations currently, but I would be fine with taking this approach (banning Baton Pass the move) if people believe the status quo should change. I do not personally like the status quo as it is an arbitrary, complex solution to a problem that leaves room for new exploits. While elodin fell short against me with a Baton Pass strategy, it is clear that there is potential with these teams and I worry what will occur when they see more optimizations and usage (note: this is not a shot at elodin's team either as I am sure it was optimal, but rather me saying there are likely other passers and partners worth exploring).
Chesse teams with Mew Batom Passing Barrier + Calm Mind to Keldeo / Latios / Thundurus-T / Reuniclus are not new to BW OU meta after the sleep ban. We saw a few shots at those structures in the last year Corona PLs. While I think they are a bit of a MU fishing to be consistent, its undeniable that they can grab auto-wins if got it perfect MUs. We also have CelePass teams (with one being in the RoA samples) as another example of how sheer powerful this strategy is when it got the desired snowball effect going.
What I don't like here is how we will literally kill any viability for Celebi in BW OU. Another solution is just keeping it as DryPassing (can't have Batom Pass + status boosting move / items or Substitute in the same set).

I currently see Baton Pass in gen2ou as a legitimate strategy that teams need to make adequate preparations and counterplays for. I don't see it as an unfair strategy or one that requires you to jump through hoops in the team builder to address. So I would oppose a cross-generational OU-wide ban and support the current gen-by-gen approach.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Another solution is just keeping it as DryPassing (can't have Batom Pass + status boosting move / items or Substitute in the same set).
I do think this is something we need to seriously discuss if we're going all the way with this. For the record, this is more Devil's Advocate than it is setting a stance either way.

Drypassing has unique benefits in some of the older tiers. Such examples include Celebi as mentioned by Caetano, who normally could bypass Tyranitar Pursuits with Baton Pass instead of risking a 50/50. The rest are, admittedly, super niche off the top of my head (Specs Jolteon / Vaporeon). I know ADV Zapdos technically runs Substitute or Agility, but drypassing has benefits for momentum as well. While I'm not really for complex bans, I see some minor validity on Drypassing for older generations based on the principle of it existing prior to and eliminating it from some Pokemons' repertoire could harm its viability - even if it is ever so slightly.

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
This has been a long time coming.

There comes a point in tiering where you have to think about whether you're preserving the move, or idealizing it. I mean this in its purest sense: "representing something as better than it is in reality". Where I say better, I mean in the emotive sense. I believe that the continual attempts to restrict Baton Pass have done just that. This goes without saying, but I don't think people realize just how iffy this is. I really think it's best just to give this thing some consistency...

Baton Pass as a playstyle has consistently been seen as an uncompetitive, uninteractive, matchup-fishy strategy. Is there truly any real merit in maintaining this strategy when it continues to be Hogg's sleep paralysis demon? I don't understand why a move that has spawned over a decade's worth of headaches hasn't been cut off. This playstyle is inherently anti-interaction, which goes against the very essence of competitive play: interacting with your opponent, responding to their strategies every turn, seeing the progress you make as a reward. There will be times where Baton Pass warps the game state into a situation where no matter how much you do, it will give you the middle finger for it.

The BW and ADV Baton Pass restrictions are where complex bans are at their worst. They're short-sighted restrictions that have tried and failed to think in the long-term. No matter how much you restrict Baton Pass, unless you quite literally chop off its arms and legs, it will always find a way to do its thing. The only point where Baton Pass will ever be remotely balanced is if you just stop passing with boosts, and at that point, you are proving my own: you're idealizing the move. I see these restrictions as childish ones, they feel like something you would see in a weird off-site PL tournament where people unban Blaze Blaziken and Zen Mode Galarian Darmanitan. This isn't to disparage the people who came to the decision: it was in good faith and extensive discussion went into it. However, as this PR thread's existence shows, it has, again, failed.

So where did that failure bring you? Back here. Again. For the 12th time.

I've talked about "idealizing" a bit. What do I mean? The reality is this: you don't want the funny pass chains, but you want the funny switch move. However, you have to have both, or you're just turning the move into something else. You're changing the move into something it isn't, you're exorcising the demon that comes with it. You're continually restricting this move for the sake of a playstyle that will either A) Remain viable, piss you off, and bring you back here, or B) Get nerfed into unviability. The only way I can see Baton Pass never being a problem again, while still existing in these rulesets, is if you make it "DryPass"-only. No boosts, no added effects, nothing.
I saw Caetano make a post while I was writing this, this paragraph about DryPass isn't a shot at him or anyone, I just really hate this move.

So let's seriously consider DryPassing. Answer me this, and this is out of genuine concern: are you truly preserving Baton Pass as a move when continually making these restrictions, or are you seeking a new one? It can absolutely have benefits, but you are doing two things: nuking the playstyle from orbit while changing Baton Pass itself. You've exorcised the demon, but at the same time, you've created an even more complex ban than you already have. Let's Swagger a Jolteon in ADV so it can't pass now. Or shall boosts inflicted by the opponent be passable? There will be fun technicalities like this in every generation that only serve to make this rule an even bigger mess than it already is. Perhaps it will benefit the old gens, perhaps it will allow ADV Jolteon to be healthy, perhaps it will allow BW Celebi to bypass Tyranitar. But like, what's the point? What are you tiering? What are you trying to preserve? You're not preserving the playstyle anymore, nor are you really preserving the move outside of one of many things it can do. What is Baton Pass?

However, despite all this vitriol that is probably unwarranted, I would oppose a cross-gen ban. There is but one generation where Baton Pass isn't maniacally laughing in your face: GSC. While there are definitely a couple of people who dislike it, the feedback I've seen over the years has been positive. While I'm not overly educated on GSC and seek to rectify that one day, I would absolutely echo Earthworm's opinion on the matter.

Last edited:
my 2 cents: bans like this shouldn't be cross generational, because each of the OU tiers mentioned has its own nuances which should be taken into account , there's a bit more to BP than "stat move plus passing it along is bad" - it's a major part of offenses toolkit in adv at least, and punishes overly sluggish aimless teams which I realize is subjective: but I do think having that option for positioning/cutting off the option of having games come to a dead halt is pretty major.

How a ruleset "looks" , shouldn't matter. Simplicity in rule sets is an arbitrary notion anyway: councils should just look to the health of whatever tier bp is under review in, and make decisions accordingly.

Last edited:
ABR : I feel like I'm in a deja-vu every time I see a recent PR thread of yours. It feels like all of them advocate for 'ruleset homogeneity' across the different gens when time and time again old gen communities (and even sub-tiers within them) have shown they want to handle things within their own domain. I am not saying what you are advocating isn't something worth of looking into, but this feels like a low effort thread whose main argument is out of touch with how, our website, operates in the recent years.

I've talked about "idealizing" a bit. What do I mean? The reality is this: you don't want the funny pass chains, but you want the funny switch move.
I want the funny switch move, I want the funny pass chains.

I don't see BP teams in ADV as too strong, 3 out of the top 5 highest usage mons in ADV have a phaze move in their top 5 movesets. Skarmory downright nullifies the existence of BP teams within the current ruleset, and it's the most meta-defining mon. Mind you current players greed Roar over WW to feign Drill Peck, you could argue that perhaps that's on them.

This playstyle is inherently anti-interaction, which goes against the very essence of competitive play: interacting with your opponent
ADV has 500 bp explosions and 2-turn taunts, games remain very much interactive in the type of situations you are describing regardless. Perhaps moreso than facing SS's Cloyster. The way I view things is similar, If my opponent has failed to compromise using priority moves to handle Cloyster, or a phaze/boom move to break ADV BP, then it's on them.

I understand that you have a strong stance on the matter, as you yourself have admitted to really hate the move, but please do appreciate that others, with equal or more experience than you in tiering decisions have thought about this issue at length and concluded otherwise. Speaking as one of the tiering members for ADV at the time the first ruleset was implemented, we had conducted community wide polls with regards to which choice of action would be taken and the overwhelming majority wanted to keep BP as a move within the game. It is simply too valuable for offensive playstyles. Currently, the community sees this in the same manner as the majority still wants BP as a move in ADV in one aspect or another, this hasn't changed.

I'd finally like to conclude by saying that I stand by the rules implemented at the time and think they have produced a near idealized solution to the metagame. I say near idealized because in my opinion Assist and Metronome should also be included in the rule, though that's just semantics at this point.

Last edited:

Zokuru

The Stall Lord
is a Tiering Contributor
Ok since we're at it, why not ban Stat/(Sub ?) passing in everygen and allow drypassing for pivoting purpose ? It'd probably be better than straight up banning the move as drypass has a good amount of usage in bw and adv.

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
ADV has 500 bp explosions and 2-turn taunts, games remain very much interactive in the type of situations you are describing regardless. Perhaps moreso than facing SS's Cloyster. The way I view things is similar, If my opponent has failed to compromise using priority moves to handle Cloyster, or a phaze/boom move to break ADV BP, then it's on them.
Explosion is a plenty interactive move. If you know the Pokemon can explode, you'll respond in turn. That's a balanced game state, as both players have the opportunity to do something. That's the whole point of Explosion: single turn, high risk, high reward. Baton Pass is, as I hope we both understand, very different in this regard.

I understand that you have a strong stance on the matter, as you yourself have admitted to really hate the move, but please do appreciate that others, with equal or more experience than you in tiering decisions have thought about this issue at length and concluded otherwise.
Never did I say that I didn't appreciate the people who came to the decision, as I wrote in my own post. I'm not out to discredit anyone.
This isn't to disparage the people who came to the decision: it was in good faith and extensive discussion went into it.
Perhaps I didn't express it well enough; in which, I apologise.

Speaking as one of the tiering members for ADV at the time the first ruleset was implemented, we had conducted community wide polls with regards to which choice of action would be taken and the overwhelming majority wanted to keep BP as a move within the game. It is simply too valuable for offensive playstyles. Currently, the community sees this in the same manner as the majority still wants BP as a move in ADV in one aspect or another, this hasn't changed.
From what I remember ADV Baton Pass was decided on in 2011 via Instant-Runoff Voting, yes? If the community hasn't changed its stance, then great, this thread isn't really necessary at this point.

Though in terms of community opinion, from what I recall, newer players have a dislike for Soundproof Mr. Mime and TrapPass. What's your take on those, as someone from that time? If a ban is off the table, how would you, personally, handle it?

I can understand the reluctance to ban bp as a whole, but the status quo is still extremely far from ideal. Banning stat passing (idk how sub and trap fall into this) is a step in the right direction both competitively and structurally. And if we’re enabling drypass for adv/bw purposes I think we can revise the newgen rulesets as well to match them. There’s nothing uncompetitive about bp with nothing alongside it, and it’s fine to call more options an improvement here.

Regardless, either of banning bp or banning stat passing is a lot more appealing than seeing Mr. Mime alongside Kyogre in the ubers tier list.

watermess

What? Never seen an idiot before?
is a Tutoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I'd like to build on some of the great points made by advers in this thread, especially what eden has said, the fact that eden,(someone who understands forre stalls very well) advocates for the importance of BP as a tool for offense teams Vs sluggish builds, speaks alot for the way we wish to do our own tiering with the adv council and the adv player base. We don't want to make hasty and Ill considered decisions to our much loved tier, which some would argue makes our teir a great example of a diverse and balanced metagame.

Asta Equally makes great points, and honestly people have been huge sluts for forretress this spl, the fact that skarms usage was so low was a huge indirect Buff to baton pass and with all due respect to marcop who is a great player and builder, his repeated spamming of forre despite finding poor matchups on a few occasions now was the ideal target for a ninjask + mime style build.

Let's not lose our heads, the system of having individual councils and suspect tests works and is well liked by at least the adv community, I would be very sad to see us overuled by big smogoners who want to take matters into their own hands.

My final point to all those who are backing forcing ban of BP across the gens is that the adv community have shown before that we will not be bullied on this site, I certainly don't want to see my friends leaving smogon over something like this but hey, several advers already spoke out (and deleted signups) just because of unfair treatment of callous when running for spl manager, imagine the upset if you forcibly changed their teir without the adv communities consent.

Last edited:

Legitimate Username

NO PLAN SURVIVES
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm certainly not a metagame expert but as someone who was there for and voted in the original XY Baton Pass suspect test, used a lot of different BP team structures pretty extensively on the BW and XY ladders (I won't claim to be a tournament-level player though), and has seen the evolution of the strategy in response to bans firsthand, I do feel at least somewhat qualified to speak on the subject.

Probably the thing that interests me the most about this cat-and-mouse game of restricting Baton Pass and adaptations to the bans taking place is how conservative the original approaches were. There was this targeted intent not around eradicating these broken elements, but around minimizing as much collateral as possible, to the point where banning the move wasn't even on the table to vote for the original test. And it was something I personally agreed with. Baton Pass was a diverse strategy with a wide range of applications and it didn't make sense to restrict all of them when the problematic element was seen as the full pass chains specifically that were simply just one application.

Then smaller pass chains were optimized and seen as still broken, and banned. Then quickpass was further optimized into an overbearing strain on the meta, and that was banned as well. I'm pretty sure there were even more increments, steps, and bans taken than this, I don't really perfectly recall every step of this history so correct me if I'm wrong.

The way I've always seen it was that Baton Pass has just been a pie chart of a massive wide range of strategies and uses and applications, and it was originally thought that the broken strategies were just a small slice of that pie that meant that the collateral of getting rid of the move would be unnecessarily large. Then as time passed and the metagame developed with further optimizations, a bigger and bigger chunk of that pie was seen to fall under the "broken" category, and subsequently banned, going gradually up until a huge majority of that Baton Pass pie chart falls under the "broken" category with only a small chunk of it remaining being "balanced" uses. And as as result, a movement to preserve any collateral and non-broken Baton Pass uses by complex banning the specific issues that started out fairly reasonable has gotten less and less justified as time has gone on.

In my subjective opinion, I think that BW in the current moment is teetering right on that line of justified preservation, maybe leaning towards "why not just ban it all at this point". One-mon quickpassing for stats without speed is still allowed and still in theory allows for a good number of different applications (in practice certainly won't align and be prone to meta shifts), removing a good chunk of the move's competitive uses but preserving a lot of remaining strategies. I could absolutely see the arguments and justifications for keeping it if it's not breaking the meta right now. But if the meta develops such that quickpass ends up being seen as too much to handle, it makes me seriously question the actual point to complex banning away this move to a version of itself that can only accomplish just a miniscule fraction of the options it was originally designed to bring. Every notion that a more optimized current quickpass can break the metagame pushes it further and further over that "why even keep it?" line that I personally think it's already been leaning over as-is. I've enjoyed using a NastyPass Celebi team in the modern meta and don't think that it seems to be broken (I certainly have no idea how good it actually is in tournament play) but I don't think that it's a strategy that desperately needs to preserved in the tier as a top priority.

I can't really agree with prioritizing things like keeping Celebi's viability in the tier at all costs? I can understand the reasoning behind doing so in terms of specific broader meta health like making Keldeo more manageable, but in terms of "it's an unfair victim of collateral damage", we've already locked Venusaur and Dugtrio into tiers that they don't belong into because of how they abused elements that were deemed broken. Drypassing certainly isn't broken, but I find it hard to argue against the notion that Baton Pass as a generalized move and singular cohesive entity isn't considering all of the bans that have been taking place around it. "Drypass" isn't a standalone move that we can selectively choose to ban or preserve on its own based on its own individual merits of brokenness, it's just a smaller part of the proven broken element "Baton Pass". Should the entire rule system surrounding the tier warp itself around one specific use case of one specific Pokémon's one specific move? If the pie chart says the move has been deemed broken in almost all of its applications, then it's certainly a banworthy move. We've generally avoided banning "parts of things" whenever it isn't absolutely necessary.

I don't want to comment on ADV or GSC because, not only am I not familiar with these metagames or even remotely qualified to talk about them at all, I also believe that actual meta health and impact should be preserved over cleanliness of tiering and bans. BW for example has complex banned away Swift Swim and Chlorophyll, something that I think makes absolutely no sense considering that the abilities are broken in their unrestricted state but also preserve no meaningful collateral through the complex ban (manual rain and sun setting are completely unviable, Kingdra Sand is a memey matchup fish at best and basically not a thing at worst, certainly not a notable element of the metagame that needs to be preserved, and the "but Cherubi" argument is nonsensical when we already banned Sandshrew), so it's a case where I think the complex bans are unjustified and only serve to muddy up the tier with no benefit. I'm personally similarly skeptical of the notion that BW needs to preserve a complex Baton Pass for the sake of meta health when it seems like little of value would be lost by just getting rid of the thing that already proved broken in almost all of its applications ESPECIALLY if the current rule is deemed "not enough we gotta restrict it more", but if ADV and GSC players believe that it's an element that should stay for the better of the metagame then I don't see any reason to force the ban onto them. I think that there's benefit to simplifying an overly complex ban that's already basically getting rid of the move as-is, but there's certainly no actual benefit to standardizing a rule across all tiers that are fundamentally not the same and don't warrant the same tiering action in context.

But overall I agree heavily with Plague von Karma's sentiments, at least with regards to BW. Historically, there's been a tiering goal of minimizing collateral damage that I think made justified sense back then and has had less and less ground to stand on as time has gone on, up until now where it's still lingering on through complex bans that basically just feel like the ghost of past incremental steps when the modern state of Baton Pass in the meta and its much wider spread of apparent broken uses would certainly have warranted a full outright ban.

EDIT: Spoke to some others on Discord about the current state of the meta and edited a few things. For the record I'm fine with preserving drypass in BW if the meta impact is deemed positive enough to be worth the complex ban tradeoff. I'm not an expert, I've just been trying read the room based on ABR and Finch's assessments. I'm very much anti-complex ban, but I don't think it's the end-all be-all and can see the arguments to keeping one. How far backwards we should bend over for this kind of thing is certainly a complicated and not a straightforward issue. Not that I think that preserving Celebi's viability through an unnecessary complex ban for the sake of meta health should be the path taken over just putting a Keldeo ban on the table but that's a far stray off-topic.

Last edited:
Idk if anyone made the comparison bc I'm definitely not reading most of these dissertations but speaking on behalf of the very recent DPP Baton Pass ban, team preview made a huge difference there. Baton Pass was an insignificant part of the metagame that had few positives at the expense of nonsense with sand attack ninjask into shit like drum hypnosis poliwrath & marowak, ancientpower + pass togekiss, as well as the ever-so-annoying screens + yache glis pass. It was often difficult to determine what you were in for until it was too late. I'm a bit sad that we lost out on stuff like bpass cele, subpass vap, and bpass on jolteon, but we weighed the pros & cons and it made the most sense to nuke bpass from the tier.

Point is there was a lot of nuance wrt the dpp bpass ban that was unique to the tier. I think BW's baton pass ruling is fine as is and we'd prolly lose out on more by banning it than maintaining the status quo. In BW I think atm it's fairly easy to identify potential bpass scenarios in the preview because Celebi is the main user of the move (which has become more meta recently in a healthy way). No comments on ADV & I think bpass is actually a fine style in GSC that requires actual skill to pull off. I respect the sentiment of trying to make things uniform but idt it causes any harm as is. W/ old gens I think we should only act if necessary & minimize the impact tiering decisions have there as much as possible.

UD

BeerLover
No. This is stupid. The move Baton Pass, or otherwise stat passing, will not be banned in ADV OU. Mr. Mime, Ninjask, and possibly Taunt Umbreon will be considered for ban under the same processes and procedures as the recent Sand Veil Test, up to and including a majority vote by eligible voters.

As others before me have said, there's no real purpose to applying a one-size-fits-all approach to tiering across generations. Every case should be treated individually, including and especially this one.

I disagree with the change proposed in the OP, because it makes no sense. Every gen is different, so every gen should treat BP accordingly.

It looks like we're more worried with oversimplifying rulesets rather than fixing metagames. When I read a proposal I always wonder "does this improve the metagame?". The answer in this case is no (in BW at least, I don't care about the other gens). You are restricting options for the sake of "simplicity".

The issue with this proposal (and others that aim to simplify stuff for the sake of it) is that they start with the assumption that simplicity is always better than allowing a wider variety of options.

BP is a legitimate strategy that gives you more options in the builder and during the game. Why do we want to remove it?

Chesse teams with Mew Batom Passing Barrier + Calm Mind to Keldeo / Latios / Thundurus-T / Reuniclus are not new to BW OU meta after the sleep ban. We saw a few shots at those structures in the last year Corona PLs. While I think they are a bit of a MU fishing to be consistent, its undeniable that they can grab auto-wins if got it perfect MUs. We also have CelePass teams (with one being in the RoA samples) as another example of how sheer powerful this strategy is when it got the desired snowball effect going.
What I don't like here is how we will literally kill any viability for Celebi in BW OU. Another solution is just keeping it as DryPassing (can't have Batom Pass + status boosting move / items or Substitute in the same set).
Autowin MUs will always happen in most generations, why is BP the scapegoat? Does drypassing improve the current clause? It does not. You are effectively axing Celebi from the metagame, and for what? Does the metagame improve with BP gone like that? I'll tell you that it does not, because BP itself is so rare that you won't even notice it's gone. You will notice though that your options are getting restricted even more when building, because you just lost a good utility mon.

I understand people will consider discussion of this premature due to it only seeing one use and not even winning, but I think this discussion should also be conducted on a conceptual level. The prospect of Baton Pass oriented teams -- where the entire strategy hinges on Baton Pass allowing boosts to be passed to circumstantial win conditions -- is something we have continuously removed from our tiers. As the OP indicates, there is a point in time when we should cut the bullshit and just remove it from our formats for good.
Yes, let's see how it evolves then. Why ban it now? For a website that is so adamant to see how the meta develops in current gen and is so careful with bans, we're pretty hasty at getting rid of potential problems in older gens. Why is that?

As for collateral in BW OU, the main Pokemon hurt by this would be Celebi, who uses Baton Pass sets without causing much of an issues in the current metagame. Gliscor, Mew, and Zapdos are other users, but Mew was the passer on elodin's team and the other two rarely use the move Baton Pass, with Zapdos hardly ever seeing usage to begin with. It would be sad to see Celebi's viability take a hit, but this should not stand in the way of doing what may very well be the best thing.
Collateral damage should always be taken into account, especially in a tier that's as restricted as BW. Options are limited, and Celebi has rose in popularity because it offers decent utility while also checking key threats. It replaced Amoonguss who has become almost useless after the Spore ban.

The BW and ADV Baton Pass restrictions are where complex bans are at their worst.
I can't speak for ADV, but the current implementation in BW works fine, and has been fine for the 6 years or however long it's been in place.

They're short-sighted restrictions that have tried and failed to think in the long-term. No matter how much you restrict Baton Pass, unless you quite literally chop off its arms and legs, it will always find a way to do its thing. The only point where Baton Pass will ever be remotely balanced is if you just stop passing with boosts, and at that point, you are proving my own: you're idealizing the move.
You're the one idealizing BP and its effects. If you played BW in the past 6 years you would know that current iteration of BP is perfectly fine. The topic doesn't even discuss whether BP is broken in BW, so where are you getting the information that "it always finds a way to do its thing"?

Try running a NP or SD BP Celebi team (arguably BP’s best option in BW at the moment), and you’ll see for yourself that it works, but not too consistently. You can BP defensive boost to a tier powerhouse if you prefer, but the result doesn't change.

I see these restrictions as childish ones, they feel like something you would see in a weird off-site PL tournament where people unban Blaze Blaziken and Zen Mode Galarian Darmanitan. This isn't to disparage the people who came to the decision: it was in good faith and extensive discussion went into it. However, as this PR thread's existence shows, it has, again, failed.

So where did that failure bring you? Back here. Again. For the 12th time.

I've talked about "idealizing" a bit. What do I mean? The reality is this: you don't want the funny pass chains, but you want the funny switch move. However, you have to have both, or you're just turning the move into something else. You're changing the move into something it isn't, you're exorcising the demon that comes with it. You're continually restricting this move for the sake of a playstyle that will either A) Remain viable, piss you off, and bring you back here, or B) Get nerfed into unviability. The only way I can see Baton Pass never being a problem again, while still existing in these rulesets, is if you make it "DryPass"-only. No boosts, no added effects, nothing.
Wrong. The topic’s point is obvious: normalize / simplify the ruling across all generations. How BP currently works (again, speaking mostly about BW) is fair and gives room to implement different strategies in your gameplan without being “uninteractive” or whatever buzzword people like to toss around.

So let's seriously consider DryPassing. Answer me this, and this is out of genuine concern: are you truly preserving Baton Pass as a move when continually making these restrictions, or are you seeking a new one? It can absolutely have benefits, but you are doing two things: nuking the playstyle from orbit while changing Baton Pass itself. You've exorcised the demon, but at the same time, you've created an even more complex ban than you already have. Let's Swagger a Jolteon in ADV so it can't pass now. Or shall boosts inflicted by the opponent be passable? There will be fun technicalities like this in every generation that only serve to make this rule an even bigger mess than it already is. Perhaps it will benefit the old gens, perhaps it will allow ADV Jolteon to be healthy, perhaps it will allow BW Celebi to bypass Tyranitar. But like, what's the point? What are you tiering? What are you trying to preserve? You're not preserving the playstyle anymore, nor are you really preserving the move outside of one of many things it can do. What is Baton Pass?
The demon has been exorcised long ago in BW. Yes, DeNiSsSsSsSs was truly an evil mastermind.

The point of these restrictions is to preserve good use cases while removing the undesirable ones. Did they achieve their goal? Absolutely. What are you even arguing for? We banned what's broken. It does not get any simpler than that. Is BP currently broken in BW? No. So don't ban it.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
I really like the move baton pass. I think what I love the most about it is the way it allows things to be used in unexpected ways. Most people consider it cheese, but really, stuff like Rienarien's team is very creative, with a lot of subtlety. Or there's Vapicuno's Swellow team, which would be the quintessential example.

But personally, I especially love building with baton pass, because you can find those Pokemon that are one turn away from being devastating, and give them the sub, or the +2 defence, or the extra speed they need to get that extra turn. TBH a lot of the really fun to build stuff uses baton pass.

Now I get that if youre a pilot who never builds, as a lot of players are these days, this might not really appeal to you much. But, tbh, my impression the ADV community in general seems to mostly ascribe to a "fuck pilots" philosophy. And honest to god I can't imagine why anyone who doesnt build would choose to play DPP.

However, there is one thing I would like to suggest. I think that we could have a consistent bp clause for ADV, DPP and BW that would satisfy everyone. The BW clause seems like a pretty good solution for ADV's issues if I am being honest. And I am not saying that the tiers have to follow the same clauses despite being different in a lot of ways, just that it would be nice if they did.

But in order to bring DPP into the fold, perhaps we should just consider a blanket ban on passing speed? Cause everything else just seems far, far more manageable to me. And it makes the clause so much simpler. Does anyone especially like speed passing?

vapicuno

你的价值比自己想象中的所有还要低。我却早已解脱,享受幸福
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Past WCoP Champion
The upsides of Baton Pass need to be stated for a balanced argument. Baton pass provides the ability to combine just about any boost with any Pokemon. This provides a vast landscape for creative, synergistic teambuilding. It is natural that a move that opens endless possibilities has huge potential for both use and abuse. Continuing discussion over the years is not a sign of something not working, but a continuous effort of managing those possibilities. It is my belief that we should manage the complexities, instead of rejecting the upsides together with the downsides.

In ADV I think we have mostly found a good balance - giving teambuilders the options of providing sweepers/wallbreakers with the extra push and turning slow Pokemon into sweepers, with the challenge of managing the temporary loss in momentum in the boosting / passing stage / phazing (pvk, that is the context in which asta meant booms / taunt / phaze).

When used ordinarily (agilipass, cm pass, sd pass, berry pass, sometimes a combination of the first two), these strategies have good and bad matchups that are only marginally polarizing - imo only as polarizing as other common strategies like curselax, sub salac hera and hariyama. There can be a snowball effect, but to say it is anti-interactive is a far cry. It's about as anti-interactive as sub cm rachi cming 6x on Blissey in the right matchup. One needs to create a strategy to eliminate the phazers/boomers/taunters to BP just as one needs to do the same to eliminate Tyranitar and Swampert to win with Jirachi. Is sub cm jira anti interactive? If one loses the Jirachi checks and have to click mindlessly for 12 turns only for Jirachi to beat you, yeah, it's pretty anti interactive right? Only because perhaps the matchup was slightly bad to begin with and one didn't make sufficiently aggressive plays to turn the matchup around.

I say ordinarily because it only takes an adv player common sense to know that this ninjask+vaporeon+mime stuff is not the ordinary way bp is used even if one cannot exactly articulate why. Is it mime, encore, ninjask, or what? I don't know, but this seems to be the main contention and it makes more sense to identify the controversial part of this chain and put it to a vote than to throw out one of the things that makes this tier beautiful. Pardon me if you don't agree, but I think of this as akin to saying let's ban free speech and implement universal censorships because fake news and hate speech exist. We have greatly improved the ladder experience since limiting BP to 3x users (yes in particular my experience has improved because I still want to use and face BP teams that arent the fullpass kind) and I am sure more nuanced discussion will only improve the tier further.

PvK, in good faith I ask you from what position are you making your strongly worded opinions about BP in ADV (specifically ADV OU since that is raised in the OP)? If I assume charitably that you're not approaching this from a position of being a complete noob to the tier because then there is no basis for your opinions on this tier, and that you dont play ADV OU regularly because I don't hear of you in any ADV OU community, then I can only assume that you dabbled in the tier, were interested to pick it up, and found yourself put off by what has been the most prominent display of controversial BP strats in ADV. The black sheep always gets the attention. If my judgment is correct however, I would like to assure you that there are many other lovable mareeps around in ADV. They don't only exist in GSC.

edit: btw Hip, I like speed passing too!

Last edited:

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
PvK, in good faith I ask you from what position are you making your strongly worded opinions about BP in ADV (specifically ADV OU since that is raised in the OP)? If I assume charitably that you're not approaching this from a position of being a complete noob to the tier because then there is no basis for your opinions on this tier, and that you dont play ADV OU regularly because I don't hear of you in any ADV OU community, then I can only assume that you dabbled in the tier, were interested to pick it up, and found yourself put off by what has been the most prominent display of controversial BP strats in ADV. The black sheep always gets the attention. If my judgment is correct however, I would like to assure you that there are many other lovable mareeps around in ADV. They don't only exist in GSC.
My ADV experience comes primarily from my slew of ladder alts, as you've likely gathered. I'm not a community member as it's simply not where my passion lies. I find the metagame enjoyable overall, though the occasional BP cheese sours it. But like, fuck, who am I to talk when I'm "the RBY girl", haha. You're right in that it put me off though, but you're also right in that I should give it another look sometime.

My opinion primarily comes from - quite literally - a decade of seeing Baton Pass crop up as an issue in so many metagames. It just feels like it'll never end. For ADV specifically, I've seen things like TrapPass Umbreon, Soundproof Mr. Mime and such find ways to out dedicated counterplay I add. This isn't a bad thing, strategies should always adapt and Baton Pass deserves to be viable if it's deemed healthy. In turn, I research and find ways to out cheese like that - which it is - but it ends up feeling matchup fishy when losing an interaction means getting into those lopsided game states. And sure, matchups exist, so I'm not sure if you'd consider it unbalanced and more a case of my own teambuilding. I know some discussion arose about Umbreon specifically in RoA and it got forgotten. I wouldn't consider myself to be informed enough on ADV to engage in a lengthy debate, which is why I didn't really go that in-depth, you could say I took more of a policy perspective. Again, my post was rooted in frustration and I'd even say I regret the way I worded it. Nobody asked for something that heated.

I wouldn't put my neck on the line for a ban if nobody's interested, which has already been throughly established. That's why I didn't reply to LuckOverSkill: it's not truly my place to do so, and he's right on all counts. I think "DryPass Clause" or a more widespread "BW Clause" is worth exploring if it's considered to be problematic, I guess? Again, it's not my place to discuss it, so I'm more inclined to hang this up.

Last edited:

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
Regardless, either of banning bp or banning stat passing is a lot more appealing than seeing Mr. Mime alongside Kyogre in the ubers tier list.
I'm gonna keep this short because I don't have stakes in any of the gens mentioned, but is the purpose of this thread to make a simpler and more aesthetically pleasing rule for Baton Pass across all gens, or to argue that the gens that haven't banned the move itself are still plagued with issues that will be solved if simply Baton Pass is banned?

It appears to me that your argument to make any changes to existing rules in all the OUs is just so that it becomes more pleasing to look at.

We've been dancing around this issue for over 10 years now - let's cut the bullshit and just remove it from our website for good.
You don't really mention what the bullshit is? Is there a big problem with Baton Pass teams in BW, ADV, and GSC at the moment? If so, why don't you mention that? Maybe the reason for that is that the problems are very apparent to the people who are experts in those tiers and don't need to be put into words, but the large number of large posts in this thread arguing for and against your change makes me think that's not the case.

My post isn't against banning Baton Pass in any of the OUs that it's still usable in, but to question your motivation for proposing this change in the first place. I've seen in the past how you prefer to have some pointless collateral damage with an "aesthetic" ban rather than a more logical one with less collateral damage which aren't overly complicated at all, and I'm not sure if that aligns with any of the tiering rules relevant to this topic.

I'm gonna keep this short because I don't have stakes in any of the gens mentioned, but is the purpose of this thread to make a simpler and more aesthetically pleasing rule for Baton Pass across all gens, or to argue that the gens that haven't banned the move itself are still plagued with issues that will be solved if simply Baton Pass is banned?

It appears to me that your argument to make any changes to existing rules in all the OUs is just so that it becomes more pleasing to look at.

You don't really mention what the bullshit is? Is there a big problem with Baton Pass teams in BW, ADV, and GSC at the moment? If so, why don't you mention that? Maybe the reason for that is that the problems are very apparent to the people who are experts in those tiers and don't need to be put into words, but the large number of large posts in this thread arguing for and against your change makes me think that's not the case.

My post isn't against banning Baton Pass in any of the OUs that it's still usable in, but to question your motivation for proposing this change in the first place. I've seen in the past how you prefer to have some pointless collateral damage with an "aesthetic" ban rather than a more logical one with less collateral damage which aren't overly complicated at all, and I'm not sure if that aligns with any of the tiering rules relevant to this topic.
It is currently a problem in ADV and GSC. ADV’s is just more apparent with the mime chains. My point is that we’ve tirelessly chipped away at something only for it to still be a nuisance. The disagreement with a full bp ban is clear so I don’t even want to push for that anymore. I think however we can achieve both competitive idealism and ruleset simplicity in the same stroke.

Regarding ADV in particular, either ban stat passing or just limit teams to less (1? 2?) bp’ers per team. I personally think cm/sd cele sets do more harm than good but I don’t think that’s a majority opinion so I’d advise changing the 3 to a lower number. 1 works but if people want to combine zap/cele stuff still then 2 is an improvement. We can erase the current chains and preserve the things people like by editing this rule in a simple way. Why not do that?

tl;dr - change 3 bp to 2 bp in adv. also just ban the move in gsc but it seems people aren’t there yet.

Isa

I've never felt better in my life
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
if we ban baton pass in gsc because it's bad in other gens then i demand that arena trap gets banned in adv for the same reasons.

this is obviously not a viable idea but thats the point. dont extrapolate mindlessly. build the case - or let bp go untouched in gsc.

no comment on the other gens

At this point it's clear Baton Pass isn't getting hard banned from ADV, nor will there be a unified Baton Pass solution that suits all generations; there isn't one due to the inherent differences between the tiers, and that's okay. Let's save ourselves from unnecessary back and forth clutter and focus on the issue at hand, which is Baton Pass in ADV.

My question for the ADV experts is, what do you guys think is the best solution to this problem? To me it seems that reducing the allowed Baton Pass users per team from 3 to 2 makes the most sense. Crucially, Zapdos and Celebi would remain fully preserved, while the problem with full Baton Pass teams currently should be addressed accordingly and in the least invasive way. It's easy to understand for new players when they are first introduced to the tier, too.

Also, currently neither the OP nor the actual ADV battle clauses outline that Baton Pass is banned on Smeargle. Shouldn't that be listed among the clauses in some way? "Baton Pass clause: Limit two Baton Pass users; Smeargle cannot Baton Pass", for example.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Just affirming what Tony said. I am not a fan of the move Baton Pass at all and think it has an overall negative effect on the game but I'm even more opposed to the idea of cross-generational, retroactive tiering decisions. The fact is that many old gens look the way they do because they are a product of their times, and attempting to apply a modern tiering approach just for the sake of consistency is a mistake. Obviously that doesn't take a BP ban off the board for the ADV council, if that's the direction they choose to go, but it shouldn't be a decision made for all old gens regardless of what their individual playerbase and leadership actually want.

Gilbert arenas

Rex rhydon
is a Tiering Contributor
Baton pass is an integral part of the ADV metagame. Don't use my game as an example, I was grossly unprepared in that matchup and deserved to lose. In a perfect world baton pass isn't brought to high level games but that's nobodies decision to make. Keep ADV as is in regards to baton pass as a move. Sleep is something that really, really, really needs to get looked at. The absurdity of Pokémon such as Blissey and Gengar with sleep moves isn't offset by their accuracy. Not to mention the crazy amounts of RNG that is involved in saccing Pokémon to sleep, and sleep turns. I would like to see sleep get looked at on a grand scale in other generations as well. I am only well versed enough in gens 1-5 to talk about it and would say it needs to be banned in 3 and 4 at the very least. Back to baton pass: I think that a metagame without dry pass as a move is completely silly and would lead to a much worse metagame than what we have right now, for reasons I can go into if anybody wants to talk to me on discord. If we to go forward with a Baton Pass ban, I would like to see some sort of complex stipulations put forth and met. I think that Pokemon like Mr.Mime and passing speed aren't really adding anything to the metagame in particular. Even without Mime pass is still nonsense. I topped the ladder with Meta/Exploud/Jask/Cele/Mag/Solrock which is completely nonsense. Removing mime won't do anything because someone will always find something to replace it. We need to get rid of Ninjask/speed pass in conjunction with mime, as well as limit the number of Baton pass pokemon to 2 per team, please. Even then what's to say someone won't get bored one day and make something disgusting with Umbreon. I don't know a lot about a lot but I know a lot about gen 3 ou, and I can say with 100% certainty that these changes will only benefit the metagame.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)