Battle Mechanics Research

What happens if malamar uses Topsy Turvy at +1 atk +1 def? Does it still become -1 atk -1 def or does it become +3 atk +3 def due to contrary?
Contrary doesn't add boosts or anything, it just inverts them *if they're affecting the pokemon with contrary*

If Topsy Turvy was used on something at +1/+1 it'd be changed to -1/-1. If Topsy Turvy was used on, like, a +1/+1 Contrary Spinda I'm guessing it'd just flip back to +1/-1

• Rumor: Knock Off does increased damage when it knocks off an item
This is not true, nor does it do increased damage once the targets item is knocked off.

In addition, kd24 and I found out that Frisk reveals every the item of every Pokemon on the field in Triple battles, even if the Pokemon with Frisk is not in the middle of the field.

• Rumor: Knock Off does increased damage when it knocks off an item
This is not true, nor does it do increased damage once the targets item is knocked off.
So the in-game description is incorrect? There have been incorrect descriptions before, but this would be the first one in XY. Please make absolutely sure this is the case.

Perhaps try testing with different items -- does Knock Off do more on an Iron Ball than a berry, for example?

Last edited:
Tested out a few mechanics with Sticky Web:
  • Sticky Web does not affect Flying-types and Pokemon with Levitate
  • Sticky Web is not absorbed by Bug- or Poison-types ala Toxic Spikes
hobogip, i will test it more when i have the chance, but the boost is definitely not anything substantial.

Infiltrator bypasses Substitute.

I was leveling up a Noibat, and I was in the Lost Hotel, battling a wild Rotom that had jumped out of a trash can. The Rotom had used Substitute, and Noibat's Shadow Ball damaged Rotom directly, ignoring the Substitute altogether. And yes, if it wasn't already obvious, my Noibat does have Infiltrator.

Sound-based moves go through Substitute. Metal Sound and Screech were tested after Substitute was used, and both moves had normal effect. Reports of Boomburst, Growl, and Supersonic going through Substitute were brought up too - I'll test those shortly, as well as other sound-based moves.

Also to test: whether or not sound-based moves go through Substitute on a Soundproof Pokemon. Unlikely but still probably worth testing.
So my Lairon just Roared out my Rotom while Rotom had a Sub up. Bug Buzz also bypasses Sub.

Just some things on Aegislash and Stance Change, I have no idea if this is being repeated or not cuz the search function is so dumb:

Aegislash will forme change to Sword Stance if you select an attacking move, even if the opponent uses Protect or Aegislash is put to sleep.
Aegislash reverts to Shield Stance if it is manually switched out and back in (not confirmed on being phazed out by Roar or Whirlwind).
Wait, if it's asleep, does it change stance when it tries to attack? Or are you saying it changes stance at the start of the turn when you select the attack, letting faster foes hit it on its weaker defenses?

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Wait, if it's asleep, does it change stance when it tries to attack? Or are you saying it changes stance at the start of the turn when you select the attack, letting faster foes hit it on its weaker defenses?
I was hit by Sleep Powder and then changed forme into Sword Stance. I had selected to use an attack that would normally make Aegislash change forme.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I was playing in the Battle Maison and an opponent's Screech went through my King's Shield, so I guess this prompts a few questions:

Do Protect variants such as King's Shield and Spiky Shield only block damaging moves?
Do sound-based moves also go through Protect, as they do with Substitutes?

Edit: I'm not sure if Play Nice is a sound-based move but if it is, that rumor in the OP would fit in here.

I don't think I can test tonight but if somebody else gets around to it cool, if not I'll handle it tomorrow.

I can confirm that Aegislash changes formes even if the attack does not connect. I saw an Aegislash changing to Sword Stance just before getting Fully Paralized.

Do Protect variants such as King's Shield and Spiky Shield only block damaging moves?
Someone said in the Data Collection Thread so I went to the E4 and decided to test it and I can confirm Will-o-Wisp went through King's Shield. Not sure about Spiky Shield though.

I bred Circle Throw onto Kangaskhan and then tested its mega form.

Results: Circle Throw will hit the Pokemon twice and then finally after all damage is done, the Pokemon will be forced out. Video = RL4G-WWWW-WWWX-7VCW

Edit: Adding onto this that ALL of Kangskhan's multi-hit moves are unaffected by Parental Bond. This was theoryed with Double Hit and confirmed with Comet Punch (2 Turn Punch and 3 Turn Punch)

Last edited:
Not sure if this was asked before in this thread or not, but does anyone know how the ability contrary will work? Does it just affect the pokemon using the moves, or does it affect all pokemon battling? Also, does it reverse the effects of moves like overheat, meaning that overheat would actually boost your attack rather than lower it?

Not sure if this was asked before in this thread or not, but does anyone know how the ability contrary will work? Does it just affect the pokemon using the moves, or does it affect all pokemon battling? Also, does it reverse the effects of moves like overheat, meaning that overheat would actually boost your attack rather than lower it?
it only effects the pokemon with contrary

things like Superpower would give +1 attack/+1 Defense, yes

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
If a Pokemon hits a Spiky Shield, it will only take damage from Spiky Shield. Rocky Helmet damage will not be added. Still need to test Iron Barbs.

Reactions: DTC

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Do moves with a chance of effect like Crunch or Dizzy Punch have a chance to activate twice with Mega Kangaskhan's Parental Bond? A prior example from last gen: Poison Touch Muk could poison once when using Poison Jab, eat up the target's Lum Berry, and poison again by the effect of Poison Touch. Could be tested by using Dizzy Punch + Persim or Lum Berry as well as through Crunch, though I imagine it'd take a number of tries.

(I don't have the means to test this right now)

Last edited:
This wasn't listed in the OP, so I'm not sure if this was awaiting confirmation or no one realized we never officially tested this but I can confirm that giving Weather Pokemon their weather rock (Snover + Icy Rock) results in 8 turns of auto-weather

Do moves with a chance of effect like Crunch or Dizzy Punch have a chance to activate twice with Mega Kangaskhan's Parental Bond? A prior example from last gen: Poison Touch Muk could poison once when using Poison Jab, eat up the target's Lum Berry, and poison again by the effect of Poison Touch. Could be tested by using Dizzy Punch + Persim or Lum Berry as well as through Crunch, though I imagine it'd take a number of tries.

(I don't have the means to test this right now)
tested it and moves like crunch and dizzy punch do have the potential to activate their effect twice

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
So my Lairon just Roared out my Rotom while Rotom had a Sub up. Bug Buzz also bypasses Sub.
Can you give more details about the Bug Buzz test?

Also, Roar\Whirlwind affected Pokémon in previous gens even if they had a Sub up.

With the help of xxSandstreamerxx (or L) who supplied the Scraggy, I can confirm that Flying Press is 4x supereffective vs Scraggy despite earlier reports. Did it by comparing Full Power Acrobatics to Flying Press: 5S8W-WWWW-WWWX-884A

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)