Battle Mechanics Research

It did. It did not however do damage if your opponent has no Pokemon on the field at the end of the turn. The following turn, if your opponent has a Pokemon on the field, it would continue sapping your health. Was there a turn after this in the battle, and what happened then if there was?
Oh yeah it was an OHKO the turn after and that was the end of the battle.

I want to confirm, that my mini-hippo had a sandstorm up for 8 turns with a smooth rock equipped.

Video is on the way.

Last edited:

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
So, I tested Nature Power a little (it's TM96 now, you get it in a Hotel; I guess it's in the city with the Poké Flute castle).

Rocky terrain where you ride rhyhorn and find Helioptiles: Earth Power
Sand: Earth Power
Cave: Power Gem
Rock-type Gym: Power Gem

The Gym floor is made of white tiles, so I believe it's the "neutral" terrain and thus, the same in Link Battles. I'll find a friend to battle with me to confirm this.

Let me confirm that if you switch hippo out and back in a working sandstorm - it doesn't make the weather go longer.

So, you'll have to wait until the weather ends. sorry weather-bro

So I tried using stun spore with my Vivilion on a wild Plusle. It doesn't affect Plusle. That means electric pokemon cannot be paralyzed at all by any reason.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
electric types have been confirmed to be immune to paralysis by the official x y type chart (forgot link somewhere).

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Just wanted to confirm that Megastones cannot be removed during battle, even if the holder of the Megastone cannot MegaEvolve. Tested (accidentally) with Squirtle holding Blastoisenite and a wild Espurr's Covet.

EDIT: tested with an Espurr that was then caught and had no item.

Last edited:
Just wanted to confirm that Megastones cannot be removed during battle, even if the holder of the Megastone cannot MegaEvolve. Tested (accidentally) with Squirtle holding Blastoisenite and a wild Espurr's Covet.
Are you sure that wild Pokemon can take items at all anymore? I'm pretty sure I was fighting a wild Espurr with my lead Pokemon holding an Amulet Coin and Covet didn't take it. Also, Covet might not have a 100% steal rate or the Espurr could have been holding a Berry. I think further testing is required.

Someone posted this in #pokemon

https://www.dropbox.com/s/94h9na2drxw7mrc/2013-10-13 01.35.41.mp4

Can someone please check if Overcoat now covers all status moves or just powder specific?
I can confirm that it does not prevent Yawn from putting you to Sleep.

Tested in-game vs. Psychic Robert's Solosis on Route 10. I made sure it did in fact have Overcoat by using Sleep Powder on it, which failed due to the Ability (and Overcoat giving it the immunity took precedence over the fact that it was already asleep).

I was referring specifically to Megastones, not all items.
But if wild Pokemon can't take ANY item from your Pokemon, then they wouldn't be able to take your Megastone regardless.

I fought a Kangaskhan with my Ivysaur earlier; twice after putting it to sleep with Sleep Powder (going first), it woke up on the same turn, and attacked back. How did Early Bird work in previous generations, and was it always possible to wake up on the very turn the Pokémon fell asleep, if it goes last?

Is it confirmed, how Yveltal's Oblivion Wing restores HP?

I just had a Online Battle and it restored 50 HP and took the other Pokémon 66 HP. Means it restores 75 % of the opponents HP - 25 % more than a usual restoring-attack

Does Sticky Web act as a new entry hazard? Can it be removed with Rapid Spin, blocked with Magic Coat/Magic Bounce, etc.?
Sticky Web lasts the whole match and can be removed by Rapid Spin. Not sure if it is bounced back by Magic Coat/Magic Bounce; will try that out when I can.

Ariados gets Sticky Web if anyone wants to test it out for themselves.

i'm not sure if it's been discussed at all, or is even relevant, but a wild pokemon using whirlwind has failed every single time it's been used on me so far.

i'm not sure if it's been discussed at all, or is even relevant, but a wild pokemon using whirlwind has failed every single time it's been used on me so far.
A wild Sigilyph whirlwinded me away a few times, though it does seem to fail every now and again. Same deal with roar.

A wild Sigilyph whirlwinded me away a few times, though it does seem to fail every now and again. Same deal with roar.
I know in Gen 4 at least, if a Pokemon used Whirlwind on a higher level opponent, it would sometimes fail even if no accuracy or evasion modifiers were used. It was probably the same in Gen 5 and is probably the same now. It was never too relevant since most Pokemon will be Lv. 100 on the simulators and FEAR Pokemon don't bother with Phazing moves.

Can we request someone to help test a certain mechanic online? If so, then I'd like to ask if anyone would like to test if Pokemon Amie's boosts affect evasion and the like online.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
A Venusaur used Worry Seed on my Charizard while I switched it in. The ability changed to Insomnia. The next turn, I mega evolved, and the ability was still displayed on the status screen as Tough Claws instead of staying Insomnia. Does it actually change to Tough Claws, or does Worry Seed overwrite it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)