Battle Mechanics Research

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
I can confirm electric terrain boosts electric moves, fairy terrain likely follows the pattern and boosts fairy moves.
Apparently Grassy terrain also boosts Grass type moves by 50%, but only on Pokemon touching the ground.

Critical hits seem to occur more frequently. This might be worth investigating.

From the first page: "Critical hits now deal 1.5x damage, instead of 2x as in the previous 5 generations".

New critical hit ratio increased to make up for power loss?

Old critical hit ratio: 1/16 (6.25%) -> New critical hit ratio: 1/X (where X is a positive integer less than 16).

Critical hits now deal 50% less damage so they'll need to occur twice as often in order to deal the same amount of damage in the long run. Perhaps the new critical hit ratio is 1/8 (12.5%, i.e. 1 stage higher than before)?

EDIT: Looks like I was just imagining things (although I did manage to catch a shiny Pidgey while testing).

Last edited:
Electric Terrain turns Nature Power into Thunderbolt. Despite rumours going around, I haven't been able to trigger any interaction with Lightningrod or Volt Absorb.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Plus and myself tested this question in the OP:

• Does Transform work on Mega-Evolved Pokémon? If so, does the Pokémon transform into its Mega-Evolved forme or its normal forme?
We tested Ditto vs Mega Mawile. When Ditto transformed it turned into Mega Mawile. After this, we tested the damage done by each attack, to confirm it wasn't cosmetic only. The damage done was within 1. So Transform turn you into a Mega Pokemon!
What happens if ditto comes in as mawile transforms? Does impostor make you normal or mega?

Ditto just got a whole lot better. He can even use an item. This is huge!

I searched the OP and kind of need this for the Gengar thread, does Mega Evolution have priority over switching?
Checked it. On turn one Charizard and Magikarp switch in. On turn two Magikarp switches out for Feebas, then the mega-evolution occurs. So yeah, looks like Gengar won't be able to prevent a switch that way. :P Which was kinda a logical thing to expect.

Last edited:
Checked it. On turn one Charizard and Magikarp switch in. On turn two Magikarp switches out for Feebas, then the mega-evolution occurs. So yeah, looks like Gengar won't be able to prevent a switch that way. :P Which was kinda a logical thing to expect.
Ah shoot. Well, at least he stays Mega evolved for the remainder of the battle, many thanks.

Ghost-types are IMMUNE to Flying press, the new dual type fighting/flying move. Tested with my Hawlucha against a wild Haunter. No damage at all.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
[13:57:16] <~Stellar> im testing out protean now
[13:57:35] <~Stellar> it transforms before dealing damage
[13:57:37] <dtc> what pkmn do you have that as protean
[13:57:38] <~Stellar> so you get STAB on everything
[13:57:39] <dtc> oh nice
[13:57:43] <~Stellar> kecleon
[13:57:45] <%tennisace> oh wow
[13:57:48] <%Treecko> nice

The exact order:

Kecleon used Shadow Sneak!
Kecleon transformed into the Ghost type!
Kecleon dealt damage.

I searched the OP and kind of need this for the Gengar thread, does Mega Evolution have priority over switching?
Dude, there is no move or ability in Pokemon that actually prevents a Pokemon from switching out. Shadow Tag, Arena Trap, etc. only prevent you from CHOOSING to switch out a Pokemon. So it doesn't matter whether a switch or a mega evolution goes first; if you don't have Shadow Tag when your opponent is choosing his moves, he can switch out.

2 minor things to note regarding Parental Bond:
  • Double Hit (presumably other multi-hit moves as well) overrides Parental Bond
  • Hitting a Rocky Helmet/Rough Skin/Iron Barbs etc Pokemon will make you take damage two times rather than one, like other multi-hit moves.

Pokemon-amie seems to increase critical hit rate, that's probably why it feels more than 1/16 now. Can anyone test if it carries over to WiFi battles?

Also:

http://www.serebii.net/xy/dailyevent.shtml

Geosenge Town

After you have defeated the Elite Four, you can find Trevor in Geosenge Town. Each day, he will ask if you have captured a specific Pokémon. However, rather than asking to see the Pokémon, he will inform you that it has a Mega Evolution. The Pokémon in question changes each day.
Among the pokemon that have been asked: "a 3-headed dragon" (Hydreigon), Machamp (unconfirmed), "a pokemon that stores its power in its cheecks", "an eon pokemon", "a pokemon from space" and a grass-type pokemon with vines (Tangrowth?).

Ok scratch the last sentence. They're probably fake rumors. The NPC however is real.
I've already checked him for first time. He says the name of the Pokemon, so the Hydreigon example is fake. I can't say nothing new, he has said Aggron for me.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
It appears that Trick-or-Treat does add Ghost as a third type. Stess tested it against a Hawlucha, and it became immune to Fighting and Ground all at once, and still weak to Psychic.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Protean works with non-attacking moves. I will test Hidden Power in a bit.

Frogadier used Smokescreen!
Frogadier transformed into the Normal type!
The opponent's accuracy was lowered.

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Got 200 BP and tried out Ability Capsule. It goes in the medicine pocket and is not a battle item. It only works for Pokemon that have 2 non hidden abilities, so you can't change the ability to a hidden ability.

It's also a one-time use thing, so you probably should just save your BP.

It appears that Trick-or-Treat does add Ghost as a third type. Stess tested it against a Hawlucha, and it became immune to Fighting and Ground all at once, and still weak to Psychic.
Confirming the same happens with Forest's Curse. Had it cast on my Dragalgae, the Phantump went on to leech seed me, Dragalgae was immune but when the turn ended I had HP restored by my Black Sludge.

Someone should check to see if Soak has been changed to this functionality.

Got 200 BP and tried out Ability Capsule. It goes in the medicine pocket and is not a battle item. It only works for Pokemon that have 2 non hidden abilities, so you can't change the ability to a hidden ability.

It's also a one-time use thing, so you probably should just save your BP.
This might be pointless, but I'm curious. What happens if you use Ability Capsule on a pokemon with a Hidden Ability? If that pokemon changes to it's normal ability, what happens if you use Ability Capsule a 2nd time on that same pokemon? Does it go back to it's hidden ability?

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It fails IIRC. I tried it out on my Infiltrator Chandelure and it didn't work at all, despite it having two non hidden abilities in Flash Fire and Flame Body.

It fails IIRC. I tried it out on my Infiltrator Chandelure and it didn't work at all, despite it having two non hidden abilities in Flash Fire and Flame Body.
Wow what a useless item! If it was a key item, it might have been worth it, but one-time (no hidden abilities)! That's completely useless! You could save all that time BP collecting by just breeding until you get that second ability.

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ghost-types are IMMUNE to Flying press, the new dual type fighting/flying move. Tested with my Hawlucha against a wild Haunter. No damage at all.
That's interesting...my friend said it hit his Doublade. Based on this inconsistency, it could be possible that Flying Press sort of weighs SE vs. Immune vs. Neutral vs. Resisted all in one while calculating effectiveness. So it could possibly be like this (Assume this is a dual-type combination, like for instance in the first example, if one was part Steel-typing and part Ghost):

Weak to FP + Immune to FP = Neutral damage
Neutral to FP + Immune to FP = No damage
Neutral to FP + Weak to FP = SE damage
Weak to FP + Weak to FP = SE damage, still only 2x
Weak to FP + Resists FP = Neutral damage
Resists FP + Resists FP = NVE damage
Resists FP + Immune to FP = No damage

This is speculative though, but I feel the first two possibilities may be legitimate, I just need to train a Hawlucha and see the rest for myself :P

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)