Battle Mechanics Research

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Just re-tested the Knock Off damage while holding an item with Wild Eep in a wifi battle, it did about 50% more damage while the opposing pokemon was holding an item, so the in-game description isn't wrong. For reference his florges was holding an expert belt and it did about 23-24 damage while holding expert belt then 15 the following turn after expert belt had been knocked off.

Just re-tested the Knock Off damage while holding an item with Wild Eep in a wifi battle, it did about 50% more damage while the opposing pokemon was holding an item, so the in-game description isn't wrong. For reference his florges was holding an expert belt and it did about 23-24 damage while holding expert belt then 15 the following turn after expert belt had been knocked off.
Hmm, interesting. Are you sure it wasn't a crit? My test in an in-game Double Battle targeting an ally did almost identical damage with and without an item on the target.

I'll test again.

Yeah, I totally screwed up somehow. I must have missed a crit! You are absolutely right! Knock Off appears to do about 50% more damage to a target that's holding an item. Sorry for the misinformation!

So it's 55 --> 82.5? Or is it 65 --> 97.5? I've heard different descriptions.

Either way, it sounds like a great boon to Pokemon like Scizor.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Topsy-Turvy is reflected by Magic Bounce. Incidentally, the move completely fails if the target has no boosts.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet or if it has been this way in the previous games, but the everstone pretty much always passes the mother's nature down to the baby.

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I figured that I should just mention this here as well, Entei learns Sacred Fire.
Battle Vid evidence: GG2G-WWWW-WWWX-PQ2F

Also a few more tests regarding Mat Block to answer some questions a while back.

Mat Block vs Feint:
Absol uses Feint
Greninja uses Mat Block
party's side did not take any damage from the opponent Furfrou Headbutts.

Mat Block vs Phantom Force:
Turn 1
Gourgeist hides
Absol switches to Greninja

Turn 2
Greninja uses Mat Block
Gourgeist hits Greninja
a message stating that Gougreist broke through Greninja's protection was also stated.

Conclusion: Feint does not lift the effect of Mat Block. Naturally, because it hits before you use Mat Block. Phantom Force and thus Shadow Force DO lift the effect of Mat Block, but likely only if it hits after Greninja uses it. You can't remove something that isn't there after all.

Also tested a thing with Protean. Unsurprisingly, if you Trick-or-Treat a Protean Pokemon, and they attack causing a switch in their type, they will lose the added Ghost-type.

Does Knock Off have increased BP when knocking off an item, or when a Pokemon has a hold item? Sounds like a dumb question, but if a Pokemon has Sticky Hold (or can't have its item removed for whatever reason), will Knock Off be at normal or increased BP?

I got a Murkrow to level 65 to test Quash. It still doesn't have priority and remains the most worthless move to take up a move slot, let alone a TM slot. Damn it, GameFreak. I'm going to bed.

I'm not sure if it's mentioned already, but Frisk appears to identify the items of all opposing Pokemon in doubles. A Duskull with Frisk in the Battle Maison identified both my Mienshao's Amulet Coin (that I forgot to remove :^P) and Tierno's Sitrus Berry on his Talonflame at once. Previously Frisk would randomly choose an opponent to identify. I'll upload the Battle Video shortly for proof if required.

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Does Phantom Force or Feint bypass Spiky Shield or King's Shield? Does the user of these moves suffer the bad effects (recoil and lower attack)?

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
I'm not sure if it's mentioned already, but Frisk appears to identify the items of all opposing Pokemon in doubles. A Duskull with Frisk in the Battle Maison identified both my Mienshao's Amulet Coin (that I forgot to remove :^P) and Tierno's Sitrus Berry on his Talonflame at once. Previously Frisk would randomly choose an opponent to identify. I'll upload the Battle Video shortly for proof if required.
I can confirm this from my Trevenant's Frisk in the Battle Maison.
Edit: in addition gastro acid doesn't work on stance change
Is this true or is this because Gastro Acid may have been changed to not work on Steel-types?

Last edited:

Flora

Yep, that tasted purple!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Does Phantom Force or Feint bypass Spiky Shield or King's Shield? Does the user of these moves suffer the bad effects (recoil and lower attack)?
Just tested my Golurk's Phantom Force on my Aegislash's King's Shield in a double battle. Phantom Force pierced right through King's Shield and Golurk didn't suffer any bad effects. Also tested Golurk's Phantom Force on Chesnaught's Spiky Shield. It was bypassed as well with no bad effects for Golurk.

Feint doesn't affect Aegislash so if someone could get a Smeargle with King's Shield and test it, that would be cool. But I tested my Skarmory's Feint on my Chesnaught's Spiky Shield and it was bypassed with no bad effect. I'm assuming the same will happen against King's Shield.

edit: Made my Smeargle Sketch King's Shield and tested it myself. Yeah, Feint bypasses King's Shield with no bad effects.

Last edited:
Does Knock Off have increased BP when knocking off an item, or when a Pokemon has a hold item? Sounds like a dumb question, but if a Pokemon has Sticky Hold (or can't have its item removed for whatever reason), will Knock Off be at normal or increased BP?
Furthermore, since it's been confirmed that mega-stones can't be removed, do these stones count as held items? So, against a mega-pokemon, a pokemon using knock off would always have a boosted knock off (since the item will never be removed by the move)?

Since Defog got a buff and a lot of other mechanics/moves changed this gen, could someone test if Safeguard now blocks taunt and such moves, and maybe even entry hazards?
Can somebody test the above? Could be huge if it does. If not, at least it's been confirmed it hasn't changed.

I'm not sure where to put this, but it seems that ALL Pokemon in the Undiscovered group have three perfect IVs. Not only legendaries and babies, but I checked a Nidorina I caught and it too had three perfect IVs. This would mean it also applies to Unown, although that is moot because you can't catch it in this game and it sucks. I wonder what IVs a Friend Safari Nidorina would have.

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Tested this with Raseri with his Trubbish holding a Never-melt Ice and my Corphish: with no held item it did 37-41 damage then after attaching the never-melt ice to Trubbish the damage increased to 56-59 and Sticky Hold activated prevented the item from being removed. So, Knock Off is boosted even if you cannot remove the held item.

However, against Pokemon holding Mega Stones, Raseri used Pinsir holding Pinsirite against Corphish: without holding an item Knock Off did 20-22 to Pinsir, after attacking the Pinsirite to pinsir it did about 17-24, allowing for damage variation there is no boost in power to Knock Off against Pokemon holding Mega Stones. Additionally, as expected, the Mega Stone could not be removed via Knock Off.

Last edited:
this needs testing on other mons who have had special interactions with knock off and such in the past like how any mon could hold tina-o's orb but couldn't trick it to tina or the plates which could also be held by any mon but can't be tricked to arceus.

Static's field effect applies to Sweet Scented horde battles, as I discovered much to my chagrin while trying to EV train. ("seriously, what's with all these mareeps?")

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)