Battle Mechanics Research

After much scrolling, I found no place for my one discovery. Thus is the one thing I have: I think this is new to this gen, when a pokemon is past its condition to evolution, like its canceled, it gains an experience boost in battle. Just thought I would share that one. Hope its ok.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Has it been confirmed that the success rate of Protect / Detect is reduced by a factor of 1/3 instead of 1/2 for each consecutive use? I heard that this was confirmed for Spikey Shield, but this may not be true for Protect / Detect.

I'm not sure exactly why it does this but here's something very interesting that I found while playing around with a Durant-Dugtrio truant trap setup. If you pass truant onto a pokemon that mega evolved on the same turn, truant kicks in and prevents that pokemon from moving. not sure if someone else has already found out something similar. here's some proof: 58TG WWWW WWW3 MSJE

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I don't think this is documented anywhere, but Knock Off fails to knock off the opponent's item if the user dies to Rough Skin / Iron Barbs / Rocky Helmet. (i.e., it works much in the same way as Rapid Spin)

I don't think this is documented anywhere, but Knock Off fails to knock off the opponent's item if the user dies to Rough Skin / Iron Barbs / Rocky Helmet. (i.e., it works much in the same way as Rapid Spin)
this is why i use defog over rapid spin now ._.

How does Foul Play interact with Unaware? Basically, if I use Foul Play on an Unaware mon with +6 Attack and +0 Defense, should it destroy them or barely do any damage?

Showdown currently has it as the latter, but someone should really confirm in-game.

if you can catch any pokemon with unaware i can help with testing. i have a klefki with swagger (gives +2 atk to opposing pokemon and confusion) and foul play.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
AOPSUser alphatron

Just tested in Le Nah. Foul Play appears to ignore the target's Attack boosts if the target has Unaware.

Turn 1: Foul Play against Unaware Bibarel - 40 damage
Turn 2: switch to Swagger user, spam Full Restore on Bibarel rest of match
Turn 3: Swagger on Bibarel
Turn 4: Switch to Foul Play user, regret not grinding for BP to get the TM
Turn 5: Foul Play on Bibarel - 41 damage

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
If a Parental Bond Pokemon uses Assurance and no other damage is incurred in the turn beforehand, the first hit has normal power and the second hit is doubled. Somewhat intuitive, but a neat mechanic regardless.

Tested in Le Nah with Skill Swap Aromatisse and Fearow.
Fearow's Assurance damage rolls matched up exactly with a +2 Bite.
Are Oblivion Wing and Draining Kiss affected by Liquid Ooze?
Tested this as well because why not. Oblivion Wing is affected by Liquid Ooze. (I don't have a DKiss mon q.q)

Has it been confirmed that the success rate of Protect / Detect is reduced by a factor of 1/3 instead of 1/2 for each consecutive use? I heard that this was confirmed for Spikey Shield, but this may not be true for Protect / Detect.
testing by spamming protect against wild mons

it worked the second time 18/59
it worked the third time 1/15

the test for the second protect stayed pretty consistent at about 1/3 the majority of the time, so I think I can confirm it for the second protect. However, I can't confirm for the third protect or any subsequent amounts as my results are inconclusive obviously.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
I just discovered that using Grass Knot against an Aegislash using King's Shield results in an Attack drop. I'm not sure if this has been discovered, but it's weird.

Are Stomp, Steamroller, Body Slam, Flying Press, Dragon Rush and Phantom Force confirmed to have perfect accuracy and double power against targets with Minimize?

I've seen that mentioned above, but nothing apparently definitive.
/Le Nah
I did not test Steamroller or Stomp; those moves blowing up minimizers have always been a thing (in Stomp's case, since Gen 2).

Body Slam and Flying Press double in power and don't miss against minimizers.
edit: Phantom Force will double in power and always hit against minimizers as well.

Last edited:
/Le Nah
I did not test Steamroller or Stomp; those moves blowing up minimizers have always been a thing (in Stomp's case, since Gen 2).

Body Slam and Flying Press double in power and don't miss against minimizers.
edit: Phantom Force will double in power and always hit against minimizers as well.
Having failed select films a number of times, I can say that Stomp & Steamroller could (AND WOULD, ALL THE TIME) miss against minimizers

It only affects a single ally.
I can't think of any reason you would use it over Light Screen then. Defog isn't as good outside of Singles and if they can't use Brick Break to get rid of the boost then they'll just use it as an attack against your unboosted physical defense. And I can't think of any special attacking Pokemon with Infiltrator who wouldn't prefer another ability in Doubles. Not only does Light Screen affect your whole team, it gives more of a boost.

Speaking of which, do sound moves ignore Light Screen? I know that, like Infiltrator, they ignore Substitute.

2 questions.
1)Would knock off be at 97.5% power if used on a sub of a poke who has an item that can be knocked off?
2)Does weakness policy activate if you are behind a substitute and the sub takes damage?

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
We do know that turn order doesn't change at the turn mega evolution happens eg Lucario remaining at 90. Does this also mean that Chlorophyll Venusaur in sunlight will still have Chlorophyll taken into account for that turn it mega evolves?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)