Battle Mechanics Research

I was catching Safari Ditto, when I stumbled upon this scenario:
I had Sylveon with Skill Swap facing Limber Ditto.
I used Skill Swap before it Transformed (since I was faster). Now here's the interesting part, the transformed Ditto had LIMBER. I know this because I tried to use Stun Spore on it.

So it seems Transform copies ability regardless if it's foe's "original" ability or not.

EDIT: Not sure if this was the case before, but Limber when acquired CURES paralysis. Same case as above. The transformed ditto (Sylveon) used skill swap on my chlorophyll Weepinbell. So, I took the opportunity and used Stun Spore. It got paralyzed. Then used skill swap again and Limber cured it. I apologize if this is already known.

I was catching Safari Ditto, when I stumbled upon this scenario:
I had Sylveon with Skill Swap facing Limber Ditto.
I used Skill Swap before it Transformed (since I was faster). Now here's the interesting part, the transformed Ditto had LIMBER. I know this because I tried to use Stun Spore on it.

So it seems Transform copies ability regardless if it's foe's "original" ability or not.

EDIT: Not sure if this was the case before, but Limber when acquired CURES paralysis. Same case as above. The transformed ditto (Sylveon) used skill swap on my chlorophyll Weepinbell. So, I took the opportunity and used Stun Spore. It got paralyzed. Then used skill swap again and Limber cured it. I apologize if this is already known.
I'm fairly certain none of this is new to this gen. I'm positive the healing of paralysis is not new. Good to know anyway though.

I played a Wifi battle on Battle Spot and found this: Mega Evolution priority is equal or less than that of switching. This guy switched out his Yveltal before I ME'd my Blaziken with x2 Speed from Speed Boost. He had not modified his speed stats at all.
Not sure if right place to post, though.

Mega evolution goes after switching. Did another independent comfirmation, Wifi doubles, switched out my Aerodactyl while mega evolving Tyranitar. Aerodactyl got out, his Garchomp mega evolved, Tyranitar mega evolved, and then normal turn stuff.

V4Victini

再起不能
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnus
What did you check it with? I'm curious as to how Mega Evolving and changing ability works. How about Speed Boost Blaziken? Does Mega Evolving always trigger a change in ability even though the ability remains the same? So like if you got a Mummied Blaziken and then it regains Speed Boost after Mega Evolving or would it still remain as Mummy because Blaziken has the same ability as its Mega Evolution and hence will not trigger Speed Boost to override Mummy. My guess is that it'll still override. Worry Seed should probably work the same but maybe just test it to be very sure haha :p
It'll override. Hence Sand Stream reactivating on Mega TTar

I played a Wifi battle on Battle Spot and found this: Mega Evolution priority is equal or less than that of switching. This guy switched out his Yveltal before I ME'd my Blaziken with x2 Speed from Speed Boost. He had not modified his speed stats at all.
Not sure if right place to post, though.
Switching takes priority to Mega Evolving. In fact, the only thing that takes priority over switching is Pursuit...

...So now I have to know. What happens if a Mega Evolving Pokémon uses Pursuit?
Anyone used Pursuit Mega Scizor or Tyranitar?

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Switching takes priority to Mega Evolving. In fact, the only thing that takes priority over switching is Pursuit...

...So now I have to know. What happens if a Mega Evolving Pokémon uses Pursuit?
Anyone used Pursuit Mega Scizor or Tyranitar?
Someone has tested it before. There would be the usual "Pokémon, come back!" message for the opponent, then the Pursuit user would Mega Evolve, use Pursuit, and finally the opponent would switch out (or faint).

Psywaves

Procrastinating Pedantic Perfectionist™
is a Contributor Alumnus
Idk if these findings of mine have been found or brought up by any other users, but it seems from my testing, that the Sleep status only lasts a maximum of two turns.

Also, abilities that have a 30% chance to function when a direct attack is used (Stuff like Flame Body and Static) seem to function 100% of the time (I can't recall an instance of them not functioning in X and Y) despite the game's description. I'm not sure what to make of these; I'm especially dubious about the second one...

These are likely just down to bad luck, so I shouldn't be overly concerned, however, I can't help but wonder if anyone else has found these sort of things to occur. Thanks, and my apologies if this is not the sort of observation intended for this thread.

-*-*-***-*--------*-*----

Had Hippopotas use Bite on my Stunfisk 25 times and got the above results: eight times being affected by Static, seventeen times unaffected. That's 32% of the time, perfectly in line with the original 30% rate.

When researching data about the new berries Euler and I also tested Natural Gift and it seemed like Kee and Maranga Berry both result in an attack that has a base power of probably 100. I don't have the exact data to back it up, as Euler did those tests and I don't have access to these berries, but this made me think about a possible boost for Natural Gift with older berries, so I tested a bit in Le Nah by attacking my partner. I used the following pokemon:

Level 76 Talonflame (163 Attack) vs. Level 77 Azumarill (172 Defense):
Natural Gift with Payapa Berry:
Expected Damage with Base Power 60: 32, 32, 33, 33, 33, 34, 34, 34, 35, 35, 36, 36, 36, 37, 37, 38
Real Damage: 48, 48, 49 (after that my Talonflame leveled up, so I stopped this spontaneous and not well-prepared test).

And while the data from three fights is not enough to determine an exact number for the new base power, it's obvious that Natural Gift was changed for at least some of the older berries, maybe even all berries. The new Base Power for Payapa Berry seems to be either 80 oder 90, further tests are needed to get an exact result.

So yeah, I don't have any exact data and won't be able to do further tests the next days, but it might be interesting to know that Natural Gift got a boost in power regardless, so I wanted to note it here.
did some testing with this.
Lv 42 simisear with 104 attack using natural gift vs 58 defense lapras:

with oran berry (60BP previously):
48, 47, 50, 49, 45, 49, 47, 52, 53, 46, 50
this fits exactly with 80BP, which should deal 45-53 damage.

with qualot berry (70BP previously):
58, 53, 52, 57, 76 (crit), 55, 54, 52, 52, 54, 60
i'm confident this is 90BP (51-60 damage) even though i didn't get the lowest damage roll i could, as 85 and 95 BP aren't possible with these damage rolls.

with roseli berry (would presumably be 60BP to match the other SE-resist berries)
47, 51, 45, 49, 48, 45, 47
most likely 80BP like the oran berry. 75 and 85 BP don't work with these damage rolls. and unsurprisingly, it is fairy-typed (super-effective on hariyama, resisted by ekans).

i don't have any of the previously 80BP natural gift berries to test with, but since you are fairly sure that maranga/kee have 100BP natural gifts (and they're definitely the the type of berries that would have used to have 80BP), my assumption is that natural gift just got +20BP for all berries, though obviously more testing with other berries should be done to confirm or deny this.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Can someone test Salac Berry specifically with Natural Gift, to see if it was buffed from 80 BP Fighting move to 100 BP Fighting move?

Psywaves

Procrastinating Pedantic Perfectionist™
is a Contributor Alumnus
-*-*-***-*--------*-*----

Had Hippopotas use Bite on my Stunfisk 25 times and got the above results: eight times being affected by Static, seventeen times unaffected. That's 32% of the time, perfectly in line with the original 30% rate.
Thanks for clarifying, thought it was just bad luck. Cheers :)

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Here's a question.

Considering focus energy was previously unviable in competitive battling it probably never crossed anyone's mind, as I cant see it on any info pages about the ability imposter. Does it copy the boosted crit ratio that focus energy confers? Currently it does not in the sim, but oversights of previously unviable things being allowed or standing uncorrected have happened.

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
Someone has just told me that a Wailord with Oblivious in the Battle Maison prevented his Togekiss's Encore from working...
Encore's description said:
Fails if the target is already under this effect, if it has not moved yet, if the move [to be Encored] has 0 PP, or if the move [to be Encored] is Encore, Mimic, Mirror Move, Sketch, Struggle, or Transform.
If Encore didn't work for some reason, it was not because of Oblivious.

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
Here's a question.

Considering focus energy was previously unviable in competitive battling it probably never crossed anyone's mind, as I cant see it on any info pages about the ability imposter. Does it copy the boosted crit ratio that focus energy confers? Currently it does not in the sim, but oversights of previously unviable things being allowed or standing uncorrected have happened.
Focus Energy's effect is a volatile status like say confusion or Aqua Ring's effect. They can be Baton Passed but are not copied by Transform. Anyway, potential viability in competitive battling is not a reason not to test obscure things - some of the most interesting mechanics are found by thinking outside the box.

Oblivious has been updated in the Sixth Gen to ignore the effect of Encore (as well as Taunt).
You, as well as probably many other people, are confusing Oblivious with Aroma Veil. Aroma Veil is the Ability that prevents all the same effects Mental Herb cures. Oblivious was only granted Taunt protection along with the Attract and Captivate protection it already had. They are actually very different Abilities that happen to have two overlapping effect preventions (Attract and Taunt).

You, as well as probably many other people, are confusing Oblivious with Aroma Veil. Aroma Veil is the Ability that prevents all the same effects Mental Herb cures. Oblivious was only granted Taunt protection along with the Attract and Captivate protection it already had. They are actually very different Abilities that happen to have two overlapping effect preventions (Attract and Taunt).
Just did some more research and yes you are correct. I'll edit my post out now, sorry for the misinformation (I could have sworn it was updated that way >_< )

Idk if these findings of mine have been found or brought up by any other users, but it seems from my testing, that the Sleep status only lasts a maximum of two turns.

Also, abilities that have a 30% chance to function when a direct attack is used (Stuff like Flame Body and Static) seem to function 100% of the time (I can't recall an instance of them not functioning in X and Y) despite the game's description. I'm not sure what to make of these; I'm especially dubious about the second one...

These are likely just down to bad luck, so I shouldn't be overly concerned, however, I can't help but wonder if anyone else has found these sort of things to occur. Thanks, and my apologies if this is not the sort of observation intended for this thread.
Sleep lasts 1-3 turns. However if you are faster than your opponent the turn you use it counts as one of those turns. This may be why you thought it was lasting only 2 turns max.

Does Safety Goggles prevent damage caused by sun for Pokemon with Dry Skin or Solar Power?
no, they don't.

other random things:
-parting shot is intercepted by pursuit when used versus a slower pursuit user.
-unnerve does not prevent berry juice from activating.
-sleep talk does not trigger stance change, regardless of the move it picks.
-electric terrain giving a boost to electric moves of grounded mons was alluded to earlier in the thread, which i wanted to confirm, as well as see if its power boost matched grassy terrain's of 50% (spoilers: yes to both):

lv 45 magneton with 138 special attack using thunderbolt vs 89 special defense avalugg:
111, 120, 117, 117, 121, 127, 109, 108
a 135 BP thunderbolt (before STAB) should yield anywhere between 108-127 damage, so electric terrain does indeed provide a 50% boost to electric moves of grounded mons.

Do heavy metal and light metal give any other effects? Not sure if they have been researched. They were fairly useless in gen5.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
no, they don't.

other random things:
-parting shot is intercepted by pursuit when used versus a slower pursuit user.
-unnerve does not prevent berry juice from activating.
-sleep talk does not trigger stance change, regardless of the move it picks.
-electric terrain giving a boost to electric moves of grounded mons was alluded to earlier in the thread, which i wanted to confirm, as well as see if its power boost matched grassy terrain's of 50% (spoilers: yes to both):

lv 45 magneton with 138 special attack using thunderbolt vs 89 special defense avalugg:
111, 120, 117, 117, 121, 127, 109, 108
a 135 BP thunderbolt (before STAB) should yield anywhere between 108-127 damage, so electric terrain does indeed provide a 50% boost to electric moves of grounded mons.
Could you also test Misty Terrain? Most likely, it reduces Dragon-type damage against grounded pokémon and nothing else, but it has never been confirmed.

^I actually already did that, Laser Mario, though the testing session wasn't extensive =x

Tested with Florges and Xerneas in Le Nah. I used Moonblast on my own Xerneas twice with misty terrain active, and twice without misty terrain active.
I don't remember exact numbers but 3 of the 4 hits dealt around 80 damage, and the 4th Moonblast dealt around 90 damage in Misty Terrain.
That was probably a damage range variation.
I don't think MT boosts the power of fairy type moves. =x

I ALSO tested something else regarding Fling.
I wanted to check if using Fling against a Pokemon that's weak to dark type attacks, would give the target the item's benefits.
The result is that it just dealt damage with no extra effect.

My subjects were Malamar (158 attack) and Aegislash (170 defense), both at level 50.
The hits dealt 102, 98, 96, and 86 damage.
Based on how I ....think I got the capped and minimum numbers pretty early,
I think the base power of Fling (Weakness Policy) is 80.

Will amend post with results of flung items introduced in XY later, probably. >>
edit! Fling (Kee Berry) has a base power of 10 and raises the target's defense when flung.
Fling (Maranga Berry) has a base power of 10 and raises the target's special defense when flung.
This is neat, seeing as how the berry normally only kicks in if the holder's hit by a special move.
Fling (Assault Vest) results:
damage dealt: 86, 98
Pretty safe bet that the base power here is 80. No added effect.

2nd unrelated edit. I have also tested this in Le Nah: if the Pokemon Flings its berry at a target that knows Belch, the target will be able to use that move for the remainder of the battle.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)