Online Competition Battle of Alola [POST YOUR RESULTS!]

Who's the better for Stealth Rock setter in Battle of Alola between Midday Lycanrock and Minior?
Between the two, Lycanrock. But neither of them are the best imo.

edit:

So the competition has officially began and I've done some battling already. I just broke into the 1600s with 11 - 1, and boy... what a mess the 1500s are. I've faced no more than a couple of teams that were straight outta ingame and some really questionable stuff like Phantom Force Lunala. So I thought I'd save a couple of battles for you guys to watch if you want to.

There's bad, good and everything in between.

The Bad

LUTG-WWWW-WWW3-XUQZ
  • 4 turns. This guy went with Electrivire, Frosslass and Starmie; got steamrolled. The meta just isn't favourable for these kind of pokemon.

A8TW-WWWW-WWW3-XUUZ
  • 7 turns. Phantom Force Lunala. Why? Beats me. He also brough Celesteela and Tapu Lele
The Good

AA4G-WWWW-WWW3-XV27
  • 16 turns. Boy, this one was intense with me only barely managing to win.

The "You thought it was support, but it was me! Offensive Pelipper!"

29RG-WWWW-WWW3-XV6h
  • 6 turns. This one is just downright hilarious. The dude literally lost because he thought he could set up on it. I also had Greninja and Mimikyu on the back so the match-up was favourable to me anyways, but goddamn, Pelipper didn't even need to switch out.
And then... there's this, which broke what would've been a perfect streak and made me quit for the night: YA8G-WWWW-WWW3-XV9K.

I was legitimately the better player there, and I had just made the 'checkmate' move, but as luck would have it I obviously get haxxed to my defeat just as I'm about to win. Took all of my strenght just not to be one salty bitch and disconnect on my opponent's japanese ass. Just watch it and you'll sympathize with me.

--

Anyways, the ladder is super fast paced and I haven't encountered stall whatsoever. Didn't see Zygarde anywhere as well.

Last edited:
I played my first cycle and went 13-2 (one win and one loss were actually opponent DCs I still don't get criteria for these cases) and I immediately noticed that Island Scan mons are available!

I've found Hydreigon, Azumarill and Aegislash (this one together with Lunala so, they aren't even considered special). Apparently they changed rules right before the start :x

Maybe i understand nothing.. Why people have aegislash in their own team? Lol

Luckily i can handle it. I did a mistake puting marowak-a over mimikyu. I did not see many koko as i espected.

Seems like JPNs were given a different ruleset to the rest of us. Seen Azumarill Aegislash Hydreigon which of course most of us aren't prepared for

No, lol, i realize now that the "special mon" rule is about all the mons out of the Alola Pokedex, and not the legendaries.

So people can bring aegislash, or hydreigon, or azumarill, but in that case they can't use solgaleo or lunala.

Edit: oh, just now i see prague kick message. Nothing then

Anyway i just lost my first time. I use moonblast on chomp indeed of ice beam. Me stupid. Anyway haze is really helpful against mimikyu. I'm really happy to have Fini in my team.

14-1 with Ninetales, Garchomp, Mandibuzz, Lunala, Celesteela (252 Att Brave EQ), Tapu Koko. Had 3-4 straight up ingame teams which was unfortunate, but overall decent games. Only brought in Ninetales once because people were clearly prepared for it: Brick Break on Weavile, physical starter Pheromosa with Poison Jab for Tapus, Scizor. Finished around 1680+ I think.

Loss was to a Greninja, and another close call to Greninja again because I let it get the speed boost from Battle Bond instead of directly switching Koko in. Eventually I learned that Mandibuzz easily 1v1s it too. Oh well.

Here are the teams I played against, apoplogies for the dodgy phone camera quality: http://albumizr.com/a/BBfi

edit2: All 4 Mimikyu I played were starters with Trick Room for some reason; MVP was Lunala slayer Mandibuzz.

Last edited:
Oh nice idea the pic ones
I collected oppos teams in a personal paste so I'll share previews

Santi - Mexico (this one DCed on preview smh)
Garchomp / Skarmory / Gengar / Goodra / Snorlax /Tapu Koko

Alek - US
Metagross / Mamoswine / Necrozma / Kommo-O / Drifblim / Toxapex

Genius39 - Italy
Pheromosa / Greninja / Metagross / Salazzle / Tapu Lele / Golem-A

Lord Vader - Australia
Klefki / Silvally / Gyarados / Lunala / Tapu Koko / Kommo-O

Princeton - US
Hydreigon / Dhelmise / Salazzle / Gyarados / Pheromosa / Pinsir

Lisjaa - Nederlands (this one DCed when losing ._.)
Incineroar / Silvally / Salazzle / Ninetales-A / Mimikyu / Exeggutor-A

Pablo - Spain
Scizor / Necrozma / Garchomp / Mimikyu / Sharpedo / Slowbro

Vodorio - US
Garchomp / Solgaleo / Vikavolt / Kommo-O / Ninetales-A / Decidueye

Meroro - JAP
Celesteela / Garchomp / Pheromosa / Tapu Koko / Nihilego / Tapu Lele

Ben - Australia
Xurkitree / Solgaleo / Kartana / Nihilego / Tapu Lele / Buzzwole

Asuto - JAP
Garchomp / Togedemaru / Salazzle / Azumarill / Golisopod / Cloyster

Mu n - JAP
Tapu Koko / Lunala / Tapu Fini / Garchomp / Celesteela / Talonflame

Sune - Australia
Arcanine / Celesteela / Tapu Lele / Buzzwole / Pyukumuku / Toxapex

Okashi - JAP (the only one I legit lost due to Ditto winning speed tie smh)
Pheromosa / Ditto / Tapu Koko / Garchomp / Aegislash / Lunala

Kof♥ - JAP
Probopass / Arcanine / Lunala / Lapras / Buzzwole / Jolteon

I'm using Celesteela, Greninja, Ninetales-A, Tapu Koko, Lunala and Ribombee

Went 13-2 with a Pheromosa-Muk-Lunala core. Used Garchomp and Celesteela a couple of times here and there, and never used Tapu Lele. I lost one match due to a missed High Jump Kick Hax, but then I also won a match due to a 4 in a row Rock Slide flinch against Celesteela, so I can't really complain.

And then... there's this, which broke what would've been a perfect streak and made me quit for the night: YA8G-WWWW-WWW3-XV9K.

I was legitimately the better player there, and I had just made the 'checkmate' move, but as luck would have it I obviously get haxxed to my defeat just as I'm about to win. Took all of my strenght just not to be one salty bitch and disconnect on my opponent's japanese ass. Just watch it and you'll sympathize with me.

--
Wait, why did Whimsicott's Leech Seed not affect your Greninja?

*First post in many years*

Gosh, I love using Nihilego in this setting. I didn't really have much time to train a party of 6 'mons, but this UB IS a beast!

I'd really want to see the look on their face when my Nihilego survives a Lunala Psychic (not sure if it lives through a +1 Psychic) and OHKO it every time with Mirror Coat. It also lives through a Tapu Koko Thunder and much more!

After a KO it gains a speed boost (I trained it to have higher Spe than SpA), and easily KOs Tapu Koko and Tapu Bulu. I haven't encountered the others.

I have only gotten near 1600 ranking and then got a few losses, and I don't know my opponent's EV spread, if any, but Nihilego is definitely my MVP as a lead or revenge killer (:

Going to be starting the competition late and with a pretty bad team, unfortunately. The only pokemon I've had time to breed is Garchomp.

I've so few allowable pokémon ready I'm having to re-EV spread the Incineroar and Golisopod I used during my ingame playthrough. At least the Golisopod has an Adamant nature, though.

I've been running Solgaleo/Tapu Bulu/Tapu Koko/Arcanine/Mandibuzz/Ninetales. I don't play competitive too much so I didn't have a super solid idea on useful things or stuff to watch out for (have to thank the people in this thread for the discussion; it was a valuable resource) I did not expect Mandibuzz and Arcanine to be the absolute MVPs of my matches. I think Mandibuzz has taken out the most amount of Pokemon out of my entire team!

I've gone 11-4 but 2 of those losses would have been my wins because of disconnects (first DC was my full team against a low HP Celesteela and second DC my Mandibuzz was about to take out a Garchomp with Foul Play to win). Other 2 were from hax. Though I did win my last game with Arcanine dodging a High Jump Kick and Pheromosa taking damage (but to be fair, his HJK was a crit on my Mandibuzz).

I didn't think Island Scan Pokemon were allowed? Running into Aegislash was okay, as far as surprises go. I also forgot Cosmic Power was a thing and a Cosmic Power + Morning Sun Solgaleo almost wrecked my face. I'm hoping to break into 1600s tomorrow because I don't know what a good rank is but 1600+ seems okay!

finished now with a shameful 11-4. One lose for a missclick, one for hax.. stupid rock slide with its stupid flinch rate.

Other 2 lost cause i'm newbie, I have to be better when i bring the 3 mons. :\

i understimated mismagius, it is not half bad. shadow ball, mystic fire (or whatever was the name) and thunderbolt. 4th move dunno, energy ball or dazzling gleam? really cool mon.

Decided to upload battle videos from my wins yesterday. My team's pretty flawed in hindsight, so I count some of these wins as me getting lucky.

K9BW-WWWW-WWW3-XVA2 (Mandibuzz Doesn't Die)

LKTG-WWWW-WWW3-XVA6 (Gigalith 1v3)

UGPW-WWWW-WWW3-XVAF (Base 180 Defense)

XQFW-WWWW-WWW3-XVAZ (Mandibuzz Doesn't Die: The Sequel)

ZRLG-WWWW-WWW3-XVAR (Freeze-Dry)

R4VW-WWWW-WWW3-XVB2 (Mandibuzz Still Doesn't Die)

GK2W-WWWW-WWW3-XVCU (Who Needs Shell Smash?)

Q9NG-WWWW-WWW3-XVD2 (Icing Problem)

Battle of Alola's pretty fun nonetheless. Mandibuzz is almost literally a brick wall with wings.

Also, not many things can OHKO Gigalith without an item. Araquanid, however, is one of those things.

This is my first competition, pretty much my first attempt at remotely serious competitive battling at all, and also my first post on Smogon.

I had a couple of disconnects and my win-loss is something like 8-5 or 9-4, which I'm reasonably proud of. I think I'm weakest on predicting what the heck the other guy's going to bring out of his six, and I often don't recognize the Pokemon because I've been largely out of the loop since Gen 2, and had not read up on Ultra Beasts or Tapus yet because I just dove straight into breeding.

My team is bog standard Ninetales, a bulky Incineroar, and a RestTalk Impish Mudsdale with HP/SpD EVs who looks weird but gets results. The other three are Golem and Exeggutor with messy coverage sets and HP/Atk Solgaleo with Flame Charge to try and patch up his speed.

Since Greninja can't get Gunk Shot, Ninetales is free to OHKO it with Moon Blast. I lose Aurora Veil to Pelipper, but the rest of my team is weak to Water or Flying one and Freeze Dry maims it at the least. Ninetales has also OHKO'd all three Zygardes I've seen thanks to its 4x Ice weakness, though I may be getting lucky on that (or people are running imperfect Zygardes I guess).

A lot of folks don't realize how badly Mudsdale with Stamina can just stop a physical attacker (the highlight of my night was Toucannon deciding to use Bullet Seed, getting about 1/4 of Mudsdales health, and then never taking meaningful damage again). It packs just enough punch and enough bulk to do its job of Earthquake and Heavy Slam coverage.

Incineroar is a workhorse, taking 25% or less from Moongeist Beams and Darkest Lariat off even base attack getting plenty of 2HKOs. I've also seen plenty of folks who don't seem to realize that Fire resists Fairy.

The only awful thing I've run into is Minimize Soft-Boiled Blissey. I knew I should have squeezed Toxic in somewhere. (I also saw a Minimize/Calm Mind/someotherboost/Stored Power Clefable in BSS when I was practicing. I still hate that person, even if it was sort of hilarious.)

I've enjoyed the whole experience a lot - I usually know why and when I messed up, and I've made some solid plays and predictions in battle. I'm also still at the point where the other guy making even an ignorant mistake is an exhilarating break in tension. If I can get better at the 'pick 3' part of the format I could at least make every match close. Maybe tonight I'll pay a bit closer attention to whatever shenanigans I see.

Its probably bad timing to realise you have a pretty bad earthquake weakness after you've already started the competition.

Although, I think my biggest problem so far is that I'm having terrible trouble predicting my opponents leads. I keep sending Koko when they go for Garchomp, and when I expect them to send out Garchomp they send out something else. Still doing better so far than I expected, though.

On the subject of Incineroar, I'd agree that people seem to be very unaware of what its capable of. Had multiple people try to buff their defenses while Darkest Lariat'ing them into oblivion.

Edit: Only couldn't find an opponent once this morning, but its been fine since.

Its probably bad timing to realise you have a pretty bad earthquake weakness after you've already started the competition.

Although, I think my biggest problem so far is that I'm having terrible trouble predicting my opponents leads. I keep sending Koko when they go for Garchomp, and when I expect them to send out Garchomp they send out something else. Still doing better so far than I expected, though.

On the subject of Incineroar, I'd agree that people seem to be very unaware of what its capable of. Had multiple people try to buff their defenses while Darkest Lariat'ing them into oblivion.
What nature/spread moveset are you running on incineroar?

What nature/spread moveset are you running on incineroar?
A fairly unoptimised one. Didn't have time to breed anything other than my Garchomp, so I had to repurpose the Incineroar I used as my starter.

Its naive natured with max attack EVs, around 90 hp evs and then the rest dumped in speed. I honestly didn't expect to use it this much, I just wanted to fill out my team.

Edit: Do they still do that thing on the global link website where they generate an image of your team members used in a competition? Can't remember how to find it.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)