Battle Spot - Simple Questions and Answers

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Latios - #381 (Timid) : 31 / 8 - 9 / 31 / 28 - 29 / 30 - 31 / 31

I've decided to keep - the difference between a 28 and a 31 at lv50 w/ 252 SpA EVs is 2 points, and iirc that's less than a 1% difference in damage. I will be happy if it's 29 SpA, where the difference is only 1 point, but at this point I will keep :)

EDIT: Holy shit! I got lucky:

Latios - #381 (Timid) : 31 / 8 / 31 / 29 / 30 - 31 / 31

29 SpA is only a 1 point difference, so I'm most pleased :D
Yep easy keep! That's really nice now to clone it and add to the BS distribution am I right EnGarde ??

Edit: Actually I also had a question. How do I find replays? I kind of remember the official ladder site having them but all the profiles say I can't view them and I'm not sure where else they'd be.

Btw I can give you the Bagon tonight, I am at work atm (too excited to concentrate lol)
Is the bagon still available? Just finished the game so I'm looking to team build again.

I haven't seen you online but at this point I have no clue how the friend function works because people keep showing up as acquaintances/strangers even when I've restarted the game.

Last edited:
Hi everyone! I finally finished my Blissey EXP farm! All 3 Blisseys are level 100 with only Healing Wish to kill themselves with.

The base is in a bush just left of Fortree and can't be missed!

Step 1: Go to your own secret base
Step 2: Scan the QR code from your base's PC
Step 3: Wait for one day before you can battle (You are unable to battle recently added bases, must wait a day)
Step 4: Go to my base left of Fortree and turn on the Level Release
Step 5: Kill Blisseys! You can do this once per day

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Edit: Actually I also had a question. How do I find replays? I kind of remember the official ladder site having them but all the profiles say I can't view them and I'm not sure where else they'd be.

Is the bagon still available? Just finished the game so I'm looking to team build again.

I haven't seen you online but at this point I have no clue how the friend function works because people keep showing up as acquaintances/strangers even when I've restarted the game.
Replays are a mixed bag, you can only see them if the person does not have their profile private and consents to automatic transmission of videos. You'll have to poke around on profiles to see who has videos available.

Yes, I'm usually online from 7-10pm PST so let me know when is convenient for you. I don't believe I've added you yet, but I was planning on having you collect via GTS anyways.

Replays are a mixed bag, you can only see them if the person does not have their profile private and consents to automatic transmission of videos. You'll have to poke around on profiles to see who has videos available.

Yes, I'm usually online from 7-10pm PST so let me know when is convenient for you. I don't believe I've added you yet, but I was planning on having you collect via GTS anyways.
I can be on during that span. How should we do the GTS?

I have no spare linoones believe it or not. I tried a level 5 shroomish.

Edit: That wasn't you either. Bagon is a trash pokemon in japan, apparently. I got a level 2 zigzagoon.

Last edited:
I want to build a team for 4vs4 Battle Spot Doubles and plan on using a Mega Kangaskhan|Volcarona combo, but am not sure on Volcaronas EV spread.

Kangaskhan (F) @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Double Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Power-Up Punch
- Fake Out

Volcarona (F) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: ???
Modest Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Heat Wave
- Rage Powder
- Protect

Question: What are important defensive/speed EV benchmarks for a Modest Volcarona in this metagame?

Last edited:
I want to build a team for 4vs4 Battle Spot Doubles and plan on using a Mega Kangaskhan|Volcarona combo, but am not sure on Volcaronas EV spread.

Adamant Nature
- Double Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Power-Up Punch
- Fake Out

Modest Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Heat Wave
- Rage Powder
- Protect

Question: What are important defensive/speed EV benchmarks for a Modest Volcarona in this metagame?
hmmm first of all i don't like your Valcarona set. it seems off but if you want to use it go 252 HP, 252 Def. and 4 Sp. Att. The reason i would use this set it because rage powder if a move that should only be used by bulky pokemon as you will be taking two hits from both pokemon on the other side of the field. Since Valcarona isn't that bulkiest pokemon on the face of planet earth thats kinda what you had to invest in. One spread i think would be kinda of be cool and you could try out is this.

Volcarona@(item)
Swarm/Flame Body
252 Spd. / 252 Sp. Att / 4 HP
Timid
-Will-O-Wisp
-Bug Buzz
-Heat Wave
-Protect
This set is one a friend suggested to me and its pretty cool. I used max speed because Valcarona isn't the world's fastest pokemon but its pretty fast. I chose a timid nature because i wanted Valcarona to be as fast a it can be so i can get a will-o off because Physical attackers can go after it. Bug buzz and heat wave are standard moves on Valcarona. Pick your item and Ability. Hope i was helpful and you can try both sets i suggested and see witch one works best for you.

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet

Adamant Nature
- Double Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Power-Up Punch
- Fake Out

Modest Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Heat Wave
- Rage Powder
- Protect

The problem with volcarona in the ORAS metagame is that it doesn't have a very good matchup with many of the new threats, particularly Mega Salamence (resists both of volca's STABs and has SE aerilate return/double edge/thrash to hit with). Its lackluster defensive stat and typing holds it back from checking the large number of physical attackers, including landorus-t, garchomp, and salamence (to name just a few).

If you're going to use volcarona, I'd recommend using an offensive quiver dance set. Mega kanga already provides useful fake out support, though maybe you might want to consider hitmontop or another wide guard user (volca in team preview tends to draw all the rock sliders).

If you're using volca because you want a rage powder user, amoonguss is generally better for rage powder support if you need that option, unless your team has a specific reason for needing volca over amoonguss. Even then, I'd consider togekiss as a follow me user over volcarona tbh, but that's just me.

Also, you might want to use jolly nature over adamant nature on that mega kanga. Yes, this meta is getting faster so the speed won't matter as much, but you'll still want to at least guarantee a speed tie with other base 100's.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So I just asked in Wi-Fi but I need a second opinion (more competitively based). I just caught a Latias in AS with IVs: 31 / 10 / 27,28 / 31 / 31 / 30. I am so very sick of the battle / cutscene and am wondering if I can get away with 1 less in speed...

inb4 wish the def was 28 and it was swapped with the SpA stat

So I just asked in Wi-Fi but I need a second opinion (more competitively based). I just caught a Latias in AS with IVs: 31 / 10 / 27,28 / 31 / 31 / 30. I am so very sick of the battle / cutscene and am wondering if I can get away with 1 less in speed...

inb4 wish the def was 28 and it was swapped with the SpA stat
That's a really tough call, but you would be losing to opposing Latias with 30 Spe

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
That's a really tough call, but you would be losing to opposing Latias with 30 Spe
Obviously I lose to the whole base 110 group, notable members include mega Gallade, Gengar, all the Lati's, and puts you at a speed tie with 109's (Infernape). I'm not at home but I plan to toss it (closed my DS and left the game paused), if anyone can convince me to keep in the next ~30 mins I will.

I also kinda want to do a different nature coz literally everyone will have timid...

edit: tossed. If I'm not going for perfect speed I may as well go for modest imo. I'll go for a good timid one on this save then when I playthrough again I think I'll go for bold

Last edited:

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Who are some good partners for MSalamence in BS Doubles? Preferably special MSala but physical is fine too.
Mega Salamence is good enough as a Pokémon that isn't doesn't really need it's teammates to directly support it in order to do well; Rage Powder/Follow Me, Helping Hand (Hyper Voice nukes) and Quick Guard (for Ice Sharders) are all good moves to take into consideration when pairing a Pokémon with Mega Salamence. Wide Guard isn't as much of an issue; Mence is faster than most Rock Sliders and is bulky enough to take them, it's immune to EQ and Abomasnow just gets bopped by Hyper Voice or Fire Blast (don't know the calcs) so Blizzard isn't an issue. One thing that you might need to pack a check for is Tyranitar; unless you run Earthquake yourself, it won't be taking much from your attacks under Sand so bringing a Fighting-type or something else that can exploit one of it's myriad weaknesses with a physical attack may be useful. Bisharp is a good one as it discourages enemy Intimidate (in case you want to run a physical attack) and does ~90% to Ttar with Iron Head (enough to OHKO with Hyper Voice as well). As Salamence is a Flying-type, packing an Earthquake user can help to weaken Tyranitar and form a neat little spread core. There's plenty of options.

Also, aim has just started up a series on his channel featuring his exploits on the ORAS singles cart ladder. Having an actually competitively minded PokéTuber tackling the Battle Spot ladder will be great for getting more people interested in the format (and helping newer players get acquainted with it) so props to him ^_^

Is SubPunch Mawile a viable set for any format? Now that we have tutors in ORAS I was wondering about playing with that. I've heard it mentioned before but haven't really seen it used.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
Is SubPunch Mawile a viable set for any format? Now that we have tutors in ORAS I was wondering about playing with that. I've heard it mentioned before but haven't really seen it used.
I don't really see a point to it, Sub Mawile is great but running Focus Punch means you're either losing out on valuable STAB, coverage, or utility, and offers nothing significant in return. Sub + SD is an interesting alternative set however.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
As far as I remember, the main appeal of SubPunch in OU while Mawile was legal was that it was able to beat Heatran, one of Mawile's greatest counters. Heatran is still a massive pain in BS Singles and a fairly common mon as well so it may be worth it if it bothers you a lot (alternatively you could just run Suicune). The set is Substitute/Focus Punch/Play Rough/Sucker Punch for anyone interested.

I don't really see a point to it, Sub Mawile is great but running Focus Punch means you're either losing out on valuable STAB, coverage, or utility, and offers nothing significant in return. Sub + SD is an interesting alternative set however.
I think sub punch is pretty good. And I don't think you lose out on coverage at all, i think you actually gain a lot of coverage with focus punch. Fighting is great coverage for mawile and focus punch is the best fighting move it has and it basically destroys "counters" like Heatran, Skarm and other steel types barring aegislash. And sub actually helps deal with Aegi since it forces it to attack and you can sucker punch it. The only thing you really lose out on with SubPunch is SD and SD isn't really necessary since Mawile is still scary without an SD, especially behind a sub.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
Good point about Heatran - wasn't thinking of it. I do still believe that it is on the situational side, but I concede to your points.

Bleh. Finally tried my first set of BS battles. Almost did vaguely ok but there are some things I could really use advice on.

One is I keep getting walled by crazy tanky stuff (particularly zapados) and I'm not sure if that's because of my team or I'm just misplaying. I'm running mega salamence, mega kang, breloom, vest azumarill, rotom w, and aegislash (basically spamming op pokemon that seem like good type matchups against my opponent until I get some idea what I'm doing).

The other thing is that mega salamence really isn't working out too well for me. Which is weird since everyone says he's op. There seem to be a lot of things walling him even after I get off a clean dragon dance (sup zapados). Again I'm not sure if there's something wrong with my moveset or if I'm just supposed to be wearing down physical walls more before trying to set up. I've been running DD, return, earthquake but I can't find anything that helps me break walls easier for the last slot. I'm considering substitute and just trying to set up on walls that are status stalling me.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
Glad to hear you're trying it out!

RE: Megamence: I think everyone is overpreparing for it, so it's natural to see a lot of its checks. Your team in general seems walled by Zapdos though, I would recommend Tyranitar over Breloom to help with that and it has good synergy with the rest of your team. Mence / Tar / Aegi covers quite a bit of the meta actually.

Mence should really be used lategame when you have lured out or punched a hole in its checks, so your assumption that you should try and get Zapdos out first is correct. Alternately, you can run special Mence to surprise people expecting a physical set (252 SpA Salamence Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Zapdos: 115-136 (58.3 - 69%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery), although Zapdos in particular needs a bit of prediction to maneuver around Roost. But I think in general your team is just fairly Zapdos weak.

Kk I'll look into getting one. Is there a specific set you have in mind?

I am kind of curious why breloom is considered the weak link though. I usually used it as my lead when I didn't see an opposing pokemon that would obviously wreck it and it generally did well. The only times I can think of where it really straight up lost were an amoongus and vs venasaur. And it won me a few games almost singlehandedly 1 for 2+ing.

I guess it goes back to the first thing I asked about in this thread, I still don't really see how spore+focus sash isn't op.

Edit:
Actually I'll ask a better question: What are some non grass type leads that beat breloom and can you give me an example of the opening lines? It seems like pokemon either have to be spore immune or have some specific way of dealing with focus sash like sandstorm.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)