Battling 101 Basics: A New YouTube Webseries

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

I promised some big changes in the month of December but things have been pretty delayed, but hopefully this is something you newer battlers can look forward to.

Two of the biggest issues with Battling 101 is that our tutor program is always limited in spots, and admittedly Battling 101 might not have always been the best place for people who are completely new to the concept of competitive battling.

We've had Battling 101 "seminars" which basically functioned as podcasts between tutors that discussed things such as editing, teambuilding, and risk v. reward before, but I found that a lot of the times they rambled on and on about matters that didn't necessarily pertain to the people who needed help the most.

To help fix some of these problems, I'm going to be hosting a monthly webseries called Battling 101 Basics that covers, well, the basics. This is for battlers who have just started playing competitive battling and are completely new to some of the concepts found in most if not all Smogon metagames. They'll be very short and simple in terms of material.

The first episode will be on Smogon YouTube shortly, but for now you can watch it on my own channel.

I promise you that this won't die out like many of the other failed projects that Battling 101 has tried to keep afloat! Have a Happy New Year's, and let's make 2015 our best year yet.

Episodes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

new episode up on late game execution. this is kind of like a part 2 to win conditions that focuses solely on making the right moves in situations where you *kinda* have the match won but your victory is not 100% set in stone. new episode up next month!

Plus

中国风暴 trademark

Have you ever wanted to spice up your hairstyle?

say no more fam. In this episode of Battling 101 Basics, I stress the importance of keeping your hair clean-cut and tidy. While this hairstyle isn't as flashy as Limitless, it's practical, all purpose, and fresh.

shoutouts to Limitless for inspiring me to take good care of my hair. rip in piece.

Have you ever wanted to spice up your hairstyle?

say no more fam. In this episode of Battling 101 Basics, I stress the importance of keeping your hair clean-cut and tidy. While this hairstyle isn't as flashy as Limitless, it's practical, all purpose, and fresh.

shoutouts to Limitless for inspiring me to take good care of my hair. rip in piece.

LMFAO YEEEEET DAAG

Plus

中国风暴 trademark

New episode is up, here's a video that touches upon the basics of 50/50 situations and risk v. reward. There are tons of situations where things might seem like a guessing game, but sometimes you can think your way out of these puzzling situations. Next episode in a couple of weeks!

quite informative, i do tend to play most 50/50s like 50/50s and think of short-term gains but i think this helped me in that regard :D

Hey, just wanted to say awesome videos! I'm still just experimenting with competitive battling at the min, would like to learn more but don't have regular or reliable free time to commit to a tutor. The videos are simple and easy to understand, the best thing is they've changed my perspective on how to view certain aspects of battling (kind of like Kingler12345 said) which I can then use to practice myself as and when I get a free minute to get on showdown.

So yeah, just wanted to say cheers basically and let you know I'm watching and appreciate your hard work :D

Thanks for the videos! They are really helpful, specially considering the fact that I've been wanting to get a tutor for over an year, but always misses the days of openings (or they run out of space qq).

Keep up the good work!

This month's episode focuses on choosing leads based on team preview, identifying favorable matchups, and ways to establish early game momentum. Next month's will focus more on win conditions and identifying frameworks based on team preview.
sorry bro been busy with school, nice episode!

Plus

中国风暴 trademark

In this episode of B101 Basics, we focus on predicting sets based on team preview as well as identifying pokemon that are the most / least expendable depending on the situation.

have been busy recently, but the next battling 101 round should open up soon next week. sorry for the slump in activity guys!

Cool videos! Better than the 101 tutoring programs because the 101 Programs require lots of time and dedication, and for many people that don't care that much about Pokemon this is good for them!

these are really good but it's a bit hard to wrap your head around. I used to play a little competitive but i've been out of the game for almost 2 years so having this is really helpful. So far i've watched the first four vids and that's nothing new for anyone who has played competitive but still very very good to watch. I'd like to know if there is somewhere i can find vids or lists or something similar to help me get back in the OU with all the new megas and access to moves ORAS brought to the table. THANKS AND GOOD DAY!

Yes, you can use moves on allies in doubles (hence why beat up on terrakion is used to get it to +6 quickly). However, some things are impossible, like surpressing archeops or slaking ability with gastro acid. Im pretty sure regigigas's ability can be gastro acid though. How every combination works is pretty different, you're gonna have to look most things up :]

Excellent video series on Battling 101! Incredibly helpful for me. I'm sure those will help anyone become a better battler.

I made 3 ways on how to get better at Pokemon Showdown:
(I was inspired by you)

It's important to always take time in your battle. A lot of newbiews(including me) will pick a move without thinking. Then they'll continue picking moves without thinking or taking time. This will get them no where except frustration. There's so much more than the average battler can think about. So, the battler must take the time and practice to implement these new ways of thinking.

Hey Plus, if you ever make another one of these, I think you should make a video on teambuilding. This is the part of pokemon that's the hardest for me because sometimes it can be hard to have a team that can respond to 50 different pokemon in the meta. I see you have several teambuilding guides for various pokemon on your channel, but a more general video that covers teambuilding as a whole would be great.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)