BDSP Battle Tower Discussion & Records

Struggling a little bit with beating the "easy" version of the tower. I got upto 48 matches with this team but then lost out to the Tycoon's Cresselia in the 49th battle.

I'm feeling I want to replace Starmie but not sure what with. Ideally with something that I can breed fairly easy (so not huge egg move chains, if possible).

Any help would be appreciated!

Team

Dragonite does a fair bit of lifting and can take out anywhere from one or two mon's on it's own. Mamoswine comes in second usually to clean up. But not sure if Starmie is pulling enough weight.
I lost to 49th battle Palmer's Cresselia the first time, as well. The way I see it, there are two reliable ways to beat it:
  • Taunt it as soon as possible so it's forced into spamming a move with 20 base power (even 60 power isn't bad, if it gets off one Calm Mind). I usually run Taunt on Heatran.
  • Overpower it with physical attacks. Choice Band Weavile with Night Slash would be a good choice for this, since it does around 60 - 80% depending on your nature. Scizor would probably also work well. Alternatively, as Cress is busy setting up with Calm Mind, you could set up with Swords Dance. I think I used Garchomp for this particular fight and demolished Cresselia with Outrage after two Swords Dances. I don't think Dragon Dance builds up Attack quickly enough for this fight.

Normal Single Battle

My goal was to utilise a team that would enable me to defeat Palmer. I don't consider myself knowledgeable on battle mechanics, but was still able to clear Palmer 49. There were some clutch moments, such as Palmer 49 leading with Heatran over Regigagas. The Heatran one-shotted my Cloyster with Magma Storm before I could move, so it was a poor 2v3 start. I was able to recover with Gyarados getting the Heatran back with Waterfall, taking out half of Regigigas HP, then letting Tyranitar finish with a Dragon Dance set up. As a bonus, Tyranitar's sandstream helped me manage floor 30-48 easier because it broke a lot of Focus Sash users. Credit to Kuroko!

Cloyster @ Focus Sash
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Nature: Adamant
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Razor Shell
- Shell Smash

Gyarados @ Wacan Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly
- Waterfall
- Ice Fang
- Thrash
- Dragon Dance

Tyranitar @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sandstream
- Rock Slide
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

IMG_0518.jpgIMG_0517.jpg

Last edited:
How are you guys effectively using Starmie in Master singles? I just think mine is incredible underwhelming - relatively rare to get an OHKO, and even rarer to get two out of the way with it before having to switch/it dying. I've had way more success with a Garchomp lead and Cresselia/Azumarill and Metagross/Heatran in the back.

Normal Single Battle

My goal was to utilise a team that would enable me to defeat Palmer. I don't consider myself knowledgeable on battle mechanics, but was still able to clear Palmer 49. There were some clutch moments, such as Palmer 49 leading with Heatran over Regigagas. The Heatran one-shotted my Cloyster with Magma Storm before I could move, so it was a poor 2v3 start. I was able to recover with Gyarados getting the Heatran back with Waterfall, taking out half of Regigigas HP, then letting Tyranitar finish with a Dragon Dance set up. As a bonus, Tyranitar's sandstream helped me manage floor 30-48 easier because it broke a lot of Focus Sash users.

Cloyster @ Focus Sash
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Razor Shell
- Shell Smash

Gyarados @ Wacan Berry
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Thrash
- Dragon Dance

Tyranitar @ Lum Berry
- Rock Slide
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

View attachment 394183View attachment 394184

I'd think Tyranitar alone would sweep his entire team - EQ to take out the Heatran lead, then regardless of what he sends out, you get to Dragon Dance pretty freely because Regigigas barely does any damage while it tries to get going, and Cresselia has no damage moves against Tyranitar.

How are you guys effectively using Starmie in Master singles? I just think mine is incredible underwhelming - relatively rare to get an OHKO, and even rarer to get two out of the way with it before having to switch/it dying. I've had way more success with a Garchomp lead and Cresselia/Azumarill and Metagross/Heatran in the back.
I think Starmie requires you to know the opponent's lineup to be effective - there are some matchups where you just sacrifice the Focus Sash for the 2HKO, and some where you swap on the first turn so Starmie can come and cleanup later - knowing which is the play makes a big difference. With his move coverage and high speed, it basically guarantees a 1 for 1 trade with a Focus Sash.

Normal Single Battle

My goal was to utilise a team that would enable me to defeat Palmer. I don't consider myself knowledgeable on battle mechanics, but was still able to clear Palmer 49. There were some clutch moments, such as Palmer 49 leading with Heatran over Regigagas. The Heatran one-shotted my Cloyster with Magma Storm before I could move, so it was a poor 2v3 start. I was able to recover with Gyarados getting the Heatran back with Waterfall, taking out half of Regigigas HP, then letting Tyranitar finish with a Dragon Dance set up. As a bonus, Tyranitar's sandstream helped me manage floor 30-48 easier because it broke a lot of Focus Sash users.

Cloyster @ Focus Sash
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Razor Shell
- Shell Smash

Gyarados @ Wacan Berry
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Thrash
- Dragon Dance

Tyranitar @ Lum Berry
- Rock Slide
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

This set is heavily inspired by Kuroko. I'm very familiar with it because I studied a lot of battle tower teams. Compare to his set, your Cloyster have a different held item and Gyarados swapped Ice Fang for Crunch. Nothing wrong with that of course, we all copy bits and pieces from others but I feel like you should at least mention where you get your inspiration from.

Yep, anyway congrats for clearing Palmer. Now the real challenge begins ;)

Normal Single Battle

Cloyster @ Focus Sash
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Coquille de rasoir
- Shell Smash

Gyarados @ Wacan Berry
Capacité : Intimider
EVs : 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Nature : Joli
- Cascade
- Croquant
- Thrash
- Danse du dragon

Tyranitar @ Lum Berry
Capacité: Sandstream
EVs : 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Nature : Inflexible
- Éboulement
- Croquant
- Tremblement de terre
- Danse du dragon

[/DEVIS]
this team is same for here

I was frustrated after losing at 69 yesterday morning and spent a lot of time playing in the last 24 hours after a few edits... This is a nice milestone to check in on:

1640536135113.png

This is still Shuckle/Suicune/Breloom. I've made a few adjustments since my initial post.

Impasse (Shuckle) @ Custap Berry
Bold, Sturdy
0 Atk IV, 0 SpAtk IV
252 HP / 156 Def / 96 SpDef
Power Split
Sticky Web
Knock Off
Rock Tomb

Same as before. Knock Off feels like the most expendable move (and I'd probably use Flash if I removed Knock Off), but its utility is nice enough to keep it there. Removes Life Orbs so the opponent doesn't KO themselves, removes status berries so Breloom loops aren't disturbed, removes Choice items so the opponent doesn't switch out in some cases (and/or so Breloom can outspeed a Scarf user), and removes Bright Powder/Lax Incense so I don't have to deal with it anymore.

The Infinite (Breloom) @ Toxic Orb
Jolly, Poison Heal
4 HP / 200 Atk / 52 Def / 252 Speed
Spore
Substitute
Bulk Up
Low Sweep

Low Sweep has 100% accuracy and STAB for decent power, which compresses its moveset well. Bulk Up is mostly there to win some battles of attrition; it helps against Breloom-3 (which does almost the exact same thing, but with Rock Tomb; it's what killed my most recent streak) and some bulky Scizors, and it ultimately speeds up battles against very stall-y Pokémon like Suicune. The only major flaw is that it can't do anything to Ghosts, so I have to be extra-careful about keeping Suicune healthy to sweep against teams with Ghosts, but that hasn't been a problem so far, and I think it's ultimately worth this limitation.

Kyle (Suicune) @ Leftovers
Bold, Inner Focus
200 HP / 252 Def / 56 SpAtk
Surf
Ice Beam
Rest
Calm Mind

Sacrifices a bit of HP and the single point of Speed for some extra power. Between the extra base power on Surf instead of Scald and the SpAtk EVs, it turns a fair amount of 2HKOs into OHKOs and 3HKOs into 2HKOs when Suicune is at +6, but the main reason I have it is to always deal 75% damage minimum to Charizard-5 without any boosts. This is so it doesn't become a problem via Belly Drum, which can happen when Officer Kenton uses it on the same team as Rampardos-3 lead.

I finally found and accepted a nice new job last week after being laid off over half a year ago, so I don't expect to grind as much as I have since BDSP released, but I'll likely try to do a set of 7 once a day or so, at least as long as the streak is intact. Happy to get this far, regardless. Battle 99 had Blaziken-5 lead, which is one of the scariest things for this team to face, so I'm just as glad it didn't take me out, hah.

Last edited:
Can someone help me with my team? I recently got a streak of 45 in regular singles but I lost to Ace Trainer Ellis due to a combination of what I think might be bad decisions and haxx.

My team is below:

Garchomp @ Lum Berry
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Aerial Ace
- Swords Dance

Metagross @ Life Orb
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake
- Brick Break

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Nasty Plot

I started the battle against Scizor, and I SDed on his u-turn, which dealt roughly 60%. He switched into Politoed, and I incorrectly assumed that +2 EQ would take it out, but it didn't. In hindsight, I should have opted for outrage but I didn't want to be stuck in front of an Aggron using outrage. I figured I could salvage the situation by switching into Rotom-W and cleaning up with thunderbolt, which I did. Aggron comes in next and I miss a hydro pump, allowing the Aggron to rock polish. He then proceeds to hit me and flinch me with two dragon rushes, thus taking out my Rotom-W. I switch in Metagross and take it out with an EQ, but then Scizor comes in and proceeds to KO me with thief.

I'm teambuilding based on the following criteria:
- no legendaries from Ramanas Park
- no trade evos

and finding good teams is hard to come by. I've read into Kuroko's set of Cloyster/Gyarados/Tyranitar and teams like EZaboo's Magnezone/Dragonite/Azumarill, but it seems like each of those teams have one glaring weakness that they can't really deal with.

Ideally I'd like to grind through the tower as quickly as possible without having to resort to stalling + setting up. I'm actually leaning towards Kuroko's set, but if anyone has a small adjustment I could make that would make grinding through the tower a bit easier, that would be great

Can someone help me with my team? I recently got a streak of 45 in regular singles but I lost to Ace Trainer Ellis due to a combination of what I think might be bad decisions and haxx.

My team is below:

Garchomp @ Lum Berry
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Aerial Ace
- Swords Dance

Metagross @ Life Orb
Ability: Clear Body
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake
- Brick Break

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Nasty Plot

I started the battle against Scizor, and I SDed on his u-turn, which dealt roughly 60%. He switched into Politoed, and I incorrectly assumed that +2 EQ would take it out, but it didn't. In hindsight, I should have opted for outrage but I didn't want to be stuck in front of an Aggron using outrage. I figured I could salvage the situation by switching into Rotom-W and cleaning up with thunderbolt, which I did. Aggron comes in next and I miss a hydro pump, allowing the Aggron to rock polish. He then proceeds to hit me and flinch me with two dragon rushes, thus taking out my Rotom-W. I switch in Metagross and take it out with an EQ, but then Scizor comes in and proceeds to KO me with thief.

I'm teambuilding based on the following criteria:
- no legendaries from Ramanas Park
- no trade evos

and finding good teams is hard to come by. I've read into Kuroko's set of Cloyster/Gyarados/Tyranitar and teams like EZaboo's Magnezone/Dragonite/Azumarill, but it seems like each of those teams have one glaring weakness that they can't really deal with.

Ideally I'd like to grind through the tower as quickly as possible without having to resort to stalling + setting up. I'm actually leaning towards Kuroko's set, but if anyone has a small adjustment I could make that would make grinding through the tower a bit easier, that would be great
Do you find yourself using Aerial Ace on Garchomp much? I know Evasion and Bright Powder are obnoxious, but I suspect you'd get more value out of other options. Substitute is pretty standard to help deal with status and to give yourself general insurance, and Rock Tomb gives you speed control.

Rotom-W is obviously a good and well-rounded 'Mon, but my general thinking with that set is that a boosting sweeper should usually have raw power and/or great speed, and the Rotom formes have neither. Spending turns to Nasty Plot and then losing to a Hydro Pump miss will inevitably come up and feel awful when you "waste" multiple turns, too. I'd say to go toward a more immediate threat. Both Scarf and Specs have their pros and cons; Volt Switch has great utility and Will-o-Wisp is nice for insurance against physical attackers, especially with Scarf. You could also try a bulkier set using Rest, but that's obviously going toward the slow-and-steady route you said you're trying to avoid.

Do you find yourself using Aerial Ace on Garchomp much? I know Evasion and Bright Powder are obnoxious, but I suspect you'd get more value out of other options. Substitute is pretty standard to help deal with status and to give yourself general insurance, and Rock Tomb gives you speed control.

Rotom-W is obviously a good and well-rounded 'Mon, but my general thinking with that set is that a boosting sweeper should usually have raw power and/or great speed, and the Rotom formes have neither. Spending turns to Nasty Plot and then losing to a Hydro Pump miss will inevitably come up and feel awful when you "waste" multiple turns, too. I'd say to go toward a more immediate threat. Both Scarf and Specs have their pros and cons; Volt Switch has great utility and Will-o-Wisp is nice for insurance against physical attackers, especially with Scarf. You could also try a bulkier set using Rest, but that's obviously going toward the slow-and-steady route you said you're trying to avoid.
Yeah I tech-ed in Aerial Ace after getting extremely annoyed at double team spam in the tower. Also you have a point, I think it might be a good idea to switch out the leftovers on Rotom with specs, and swap out nasty plot for volt switch. I thought about switching out Rotom-W for Starmie, but I like the bulk on Rotom-W and the immunity to EQ.

Not leaderboard eligible since I'm on 1.1.1, but thought I'd post a team I've been having fun with that just breezed through 1-49 of Regular Doubles:

:Aron:
Toph (Aron) (M) @ Berry Juice
Ability: Sturdy
Level: 1
- Protect
- Endeavor
- Iron Head
- Sunny Day

:Cresselia:
Yue (Cresselia) @ Power Anklet
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 28 Spe
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Moonlight

Love these leads. I only started using Cresselia since I couldn't trade for a Dusknoir, but she has not disappointed. Max Attack and high Speed IVs because resetting for roamers is a pain lol. EVs are kind of random for just general bulk, but regardless fantastic defenses and reliable recovery means she can usually stick around for a second Trick Room when necessary. No Night Shade gets awkward for some specially bulky mons with Sitrus Berries and Gravity would definitely help deal with evasion hax.

:Torkoal:
Zuko (Torkoal) (F) @ Charcoal
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 25 Atk / 0 Spe
- Eruption
- Flamethrower
- Solar Beam
- Protect

Getting this thing in at full HP under Trick Room usually means a double-KO with Eruption. Cresselia appreciates the sun for Moonlight, and Snorlax has Thick Fat to help deal with buffed enemy Fire attacks.

:Snorlax:
Iroh (Snorlax) (F) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Protect

Haven't gotten around to minting this to Brave yet. Considering pinch berry + Gluttony instead for more consistency? Originally was hunting for a Selfdestruct Munchlax in the underground and got lazy (hate that that's the only way to get one...) but I'm not even sure that I'd want it now since all the coverage moves + Protect feel very necessary (Crunch is a must for Ghosts that are immune to Endeavor and Earthquake is nice for enemy Fire types that wall Torkoal), plus I don't have Protect on Cresselia.

Overall, this team feels very consistent. The biggest vulnerability by far is not getting Trick Room set up. The AI does randomly target Cresselia turn one once every few battles with a status move or a strong STAB and/or super effective move, and if causes a flinch/para/sleep things get instantly sweaty. When that happens, I typically keep alternating Endeavor/Protect with Aron until Cresselia is able to get a Trick Room off. A partner with Follow Me or Fake Out could probably guarantee this better, but I really love the FEARon strats haha.

No leaderboard as I am getting started now but I’d like to get some input on a Tyranitar I am working on for the battle tower.

Tyranitar (M) @ undecided
Ability: Sand stream
Brave nature
- Payback
- Fire Blast
- Ice beam
- Stone edge

I am set on keeping a brave nature as I have really good IVs (5 best, 1 fantastic) and this Pokémon is quite slow as it is -hence the payback exploit-.

I am struggling to decide on how to spread the EVs and I am not so sure about the move set itself.

What is the ideal EV spread?

Is a brave Tyranitar a viable option for the classic and masterclass Battle tower?

No leaderboard as I am getting started now but I’d like to get some input on a Tyranitar I am working on for the battle tower.

Tyranitar (M) @ undecided
Ability: Sand stream
Brave nature
- Payback
- Fire Blast
- Ice beam
- Stone edge

I am set on keeping a brave nature as I have really good IVs (5 best, 1 fantastic) and this Pokémon is quite slow as it is -hence the payback exploit-.

I am struggling to decide on how to spread the EVs and I am not so sure about the move set itself.

What is the ideal EV spread?

Is a brave Tyranitar a viable option for the classic and masterclass Battle tower?

Couple things:
- Unless you're running a trick room team I would opt for jolly/adamant Tyranitar and bottle cap the one missing IV because in battle tower soaking hits and retaliating isn't as good a strat as just straight up KOing them before they even touch you.
- Tyranitar's SpAtk isn't nearly as good as its attack so fire blast and ice beam aren't using Tyranitar to it's full potential. If you want a special sweeper on the team I'd suggest Starmie/Rotom-W/Yanmega/Magnezone or maybe Gengar/Porygon-Z/Latios if you want to opt for trade evos/legendaries

If you're dead set on using Tyranitar you could try a set similar to Kuroko's Cloyster/Gyarados/Tyranitar set and go from there.

Quick update on my streak since I reached a new milestone:

View attachment 392607

This is what the team is currently, and that's definitely going to be the final version until Home, where I'll replace Ice Beam with Hurricane on Kingdra if by some miracle the streak is still ongoing:

The only real change since last time is Volt Switch > Extrasensory on Raikou, thanks to Sirya providing me with one of his TMs.
I wouldn't say it's a minor change, Volt Switch makes a world of difference and opens up my options a lot on how to handle tougher matchups where I have to do a lot of switching, whether it be to change weather or switch back and forth between Raikou and Pelipper as resists to one another, baiting attacks. It also allows coming in on Slowbro-2, for example, get yawned on the switch, and OHKO Slowbro on my way out to not suffer the incoming sleep. While Scald was in my initial plans, every move on Raikou feels too important to give up right now, while Scald would be more of a luxury considering the frontline. Funnily, this makes Raikou end up with the exact same moveset Jolteon was running.

As my previous team reports mention, my hopes for this team weren't too high at first, it was put together pretty quickly, but as the streak kept rolling, I started to feel some pressure to take it more seriously; clearly, the team is pretty good, and I don't want the time I invested in it to just go to waste. I had several close calls and definitely some luck along the way on games I played sloppily, but around 300, I decided this streak was now too good to throw away, and I started putting effort into it.

I started taking notes of what trainer duos gave me trouble, any close calls, etc. and I spent actual hours (probably around 6-8 by now – it's still an ongoing process) purely theorymonning those matchups to find my best plays in advance. It's exhausting, and not particularly enjoyable to me, but the feeling of seeing a very convoluted plan to win regardless of hax actually work out through bad RNG is some of the most satisfying stuff I've experienced in facilities.

I spent a whopping 3.5 hours thinking about Dallin and Barret, which's team looked pretty easy to handle to me at first ("oh, Scizor just wins, let's find a way to SD and that should be it..."). After nearly losing to that team, I sat down and realized setting up a SD safely looked practically impossible. By the end, I ended up with this:
...I have yet to face them again, but now I can't wait.

I have now done the same for a lot more matchups, though the vast majority are much shorter because there are a lot less variables that matter. I'm using a spreadsheet that looks like this:

View attachment 392611

I think in the long run, this will be key to the most successful streaks, not the sheet necessarily, but planning to try and mitigate all the RNG thrown our way. This might also be a little different for singles and doubles; while doubles often has the luxury of more leniency with suboptimal plays/teams because it has more ways to bait and buy free turns, finding the right line in a bad double-matchup tends to be more complex because more variables means there are many more ways it could go wrong, and perfectly safe plans become a lot more difficult to make. I assume planning singles matchups will be a bit more straightforward, but finding the right team for it might be less so.

Oh, by the way, see those numbers on the sheet? They're because of this:

I had the same feeling after ~200 battles, and JustinTR also mentioned on Discord that he felt the repeats seemed too frequent to be a pool of this size. So I tracked all of my encounters, starting from 103 which is when I started recording (I went back through the VODs for previous ones).

As of now, I have the data from 336 non-boss encounters, and here are the stats:
  • 128 unique trainer duos encountered. Unfortunately, I only recently started separating same duos using different teams, so 128 is truly the number of duos and not the number of different teams. Most have only 1, but some have 2 or even 3 possible teams.
  • Of those 128, 31 were only encountered once, 36 were encountered twice, 26 were encountered thrice, 20 were encountered 4 times, 7 were were encountered 5 times, 4 were encountered 6 times, and Carlo/Cortney take the palm for being the only ones to challenge me 7 times.
I am no statistician, as a matter of fact I'm embarrassingly bad at math, so I'm not going to draw conclusions from it, I just wanted to share it so people who know what they're talking about can use it if they want.
However, it kind of seems like those numbers make sense?
If they do add up with what we should be getting, then my theory as to why all of us had the impression of getting way more rematches is that there are a lot of similar names (there's an Andreas/Kristi team, and also an Andreas/Kristy team lol), and many of them are part of several duos, so we do see them a lot, with similar Pokémon, so they can start to blend together if you're not keeping track. That makes it so just a couple of genuine repeats can make you go "wow we're really just facing the same teams a lot!".

---------------------------------------------------------
I'm still updating the YouTube playlist with the recording of the entire streak as I go, in case someone is curious to see the battles. From memory, the 420-427 leg was the most difficult/unlucky I faced, if any might serve for actual entertainment.

---------------------------------------------------------
Anyway, now that I've put many hours into properly figuring out lines of play for this team, I feel more committed, so I'll keep going with the big 1k in sight. I might slow down a bit though, because this is unironically happening now:

View attachment 392627
Hi I use a team almost the same with yours, except for Scizor holding Metal Coat because most of the time, I switch Scizor in to deal with some Fairy and low HP ones, and I feel like my Scizor always there for Bullet Punch.
Do you have any solutions for Trick Room? My streak broke 2 times because of Trick Room and Sun Team when I tried to bring Rain back then they set up TR. I was thinking of a Choice Band Scizor with Brick Break to deal with Steel type also.

Currently on a 119 win streak with rain and will be posting updates til i lose wish me luck aiming for 200

Team in question
:Pelipper:(F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Drizzle
Evs: 6 Hp / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Protect
- U-turn
- Scald
- Hurricane

:Ludicolo:(M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
Modest Nature
- Fake Out
- Scald
- Energy Ball
- Ice Beam

:Kingdra:(F) @ Haban Berry
Modest Nature
- Protect
- Scald
- Dragon Pulse
- Ice Beam

:Scizor:(M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
Evs: 244 Hp/ 252 ATK / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Aerial Ace
- Brick Break
- X-Scissor

Attachments

Last edited:

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Found and fixed a bug in DoubleCheck where it used Gen VI stat data instead of Gen VII. Looks like SadisticMystic was already aware of this, so if you use 8-S that's fixed already (though you may need to make a new copy).

For DoubleCheck users, I've updated the sheet, as well as added some notes on usage to the first tab. You should make a new copy.

Last edited:
Couple things:
- Unless you're running a trick room team I would opt for jolly/adamant Tyranitar and bottle cap the one missing IV because in battle tower soaking hits and retaliating isn't as good a strat as just straight up KOing them before they even touch you.
- Tyranitar's SpAtk isn't nearly as good as its attack so fire blast and ice beam aren't using Tyranitar to it's full potential. If you want a special sweeper on the team I'd suggest Starmie/Rotom-W/Yanmega/Magnezone or maybe Gengar/Porygon-Z/Latios if you want to opt for trade evos/legendaries

If you're dead set on using Tyranitar you could try a set similar to Kuroko's Cloyster/Gyarados/Tyranitar set and go from there.
I hate to admit it but an Adamant DD set is probably the better choice. Thanks for confirming my hunch.

After 4 hours of catching, breeding, and hatching later I have a 5 perfect IV and 1 fantastic Adamant DD Larvitar, now ready to EV train and level up for the battle tower! (Bottle cap as soon as possible).

Best.

I was frustrated after losing at 69 yesterday morning and spent a lot of time playing in the last 24 hours after a few edits... This is a nice milestone to check in on:

View attachment 394496

This is still Shuckle/Suicune/Breloom. I've made a few adjustments since my initial post.

Impasse (Shuckle) @ Custap Berry
Bold, Sturdy
0 Atk IV, 0 SpAtk IV
252 HP / 156 Def / 96 SpDef
Power Split
Sticky Web
Knock Off
Rock Tomb

Same as before. Knock Off feels like the most expendable move (and I'd probably use Flash if I removed Knock Off), but its utility is nice enough to keep it there. Removes Life Orbs so the opponent doesn't KO themselves, removes status berries so Breloom loops aren't disturbed, removes Choice items so the opponent doesn't switch out in some cases (and/or so Breloom can outspeed a Scarf user), and removes Bright Powder/Lax Incense so I don't have to deal with it anymore.

The Infinite (Breloom) @ Toxic Orb
Jolly, Poison Heal
4 HP / 200 Atk / 52 Def / 252 Speed
Spore
Substitute
Bulk Up
Low Sweep

Low Sweep has 100% accuracy and STAB for decent power, which compresses its moveset well. Bulk Up is mostly there to win some battles of attrition; it helps against Breloom-3 (which does almost the exact same thing, but with Rock Tomb; it's what killed my most recent streak) and some bulky Scizors, and it ultimately speeds up battles against very stall-y Pokémon like Suicune. The only major flaw is that it can't do anything to Ghosts, so I have to be extra-careful about keeping Suicune healthy to sweep against teams with Ghosts, but that hasn't been a problem so far, and I think it's ultimately worth this limitation.

Kyle (Suicune) @ Leftovers
Bold, Inner Focus
200 HP / 252 Def / 56 SpAtk
Surf
Ice Beam
Rest
Calm Mind

Sacrifices a bit of HP and the single point of Speed for some extra power. Between the extra base power on Surf instead of Scald and the SpAtk EVs, it turns a fair amount of 2HKOs into OHKOs and 3HKOs into 2HKOs when Suicune is at +6, but the main reason I have it is to always deal 75% damage minimum to Charizard-5 without any boosts. This is so it doesn't become a problem via Belly Drum, which can happen when Officer Kenton uses it on the same team as Rampardos-3 lead.

I finally found and accepted a nice new job last week after being laid off over half a year ago, so I don't expect to grind as much as I have since BDSP released, but I'll likely try to do a set of 7 once a day or so, at least as long as the streak is intact. Happy to get this far, regardless. Battle 99 had Blaziken-5 lead, which is one of the scariest things for this team to face, so I'm just as glad it didn't take me out, hah.
1640742247622.png

Just a quick check-in. Had a harrowing run-in with Aldo's lead Dragon Dance Feraligatr; sometimes you just hope they'll stop boosting, especially when you need Rock Tomb to hit consistently. Either way, I'm still trucking along. Considering Swords Dance over Bulk Up on Breloom, since it would speed up the battles and I can't really think of any particular situation where the defense boosts from Bulk Up do anything that quicker boosts from Swords Dance don't. Probably better against certain boosting opponents with Swords Dance to get to a killing blow faster, rather than hoping to make their hits more bearable. Aldo had Gliscor-3 in the back, and Breloom's Low Sweep can only break its Substitutes at +2 (87.5% of the time; pretty good odds), which might not have been possible before killing Feraligatr if Rock Tomb didn't hit consistently.

Also, just now realizing that my EV spreads are leaving stats on the table; I can go with 196 Atk on Breloom to keep the same stat and add a point in Special Defense, and the spread on Shuckle should actually have 100 SpDef (I had 160 Defense/96 SpDef prior despite mistyping earlier, which was a point going to waste).

Last edited:
Here's my submission of 123 wins in Master Class Doubles:
http://pokepast.es/a823caa8d562485e
This team originated from a gen 7 doubles team that I had which used aron with berry juice and eviolite porygon2. In BDSP I learned of the sad news about eviolite and turned to a bulkier boy (Dusknoir). I also learned however that Dusknoir has not only an immunity to fake out, but it has a pretty niche moveset for the likes of a level one Aron that has to have a trick room and face opponents with bright powder half the time (I use gravity which increases the accuracy by 1.67x along with its usual effects.
Overall, it's the pretty standard set for FEAR Aron in doubles.
Turn 1: Protect and Trick Room
Turn 2: Endeavor and Night Shade (typically Endeavor should be used on pokemon without bright powder or health increasing berries) (Brick break is also part of Dusknoir's moveset for normal types)
Turn 3: Either repeat Turn 2 or use protect and gravity for accuracy abusing pokemon i.e. bright powder / double team
Turn 4 and onward: Mostly evaluation of either continuing to repeat Turn 2 or waiting to send in the two extra pokemon in your party

I did make some notable changes with the fact that I use shell bell instead of berry juice on my Aron because I've found that it works so much better. I also have Crawdaunt and Weavile in the back of my team to clean up what Aron and Dusknoir couldn't handle (or when they got bad RNG). I also want to note that I reached 123 wins with this team on my first attempt, meaning that I could probably win even more if I had the time.
I ended up losing to the Ace Trainers Ellis and Irene against their second team when I attempted to set up rain with Aron to take away hail and set up my Crawdaunt for later in the match. This ended up backfiring badly as the Abomasnow and Bronzong both ganged up on Aron during the first turn and during turn 2, Bronzong was tampering with its own trick room and messing up my Dusknoir and Crawdaunt's ability to get anything done. The nail in the coffin was when Torkoal came out during a trick room and happened to be slower than my entire team (Aron fainted). Torkoal's eruption was enough to end my streak :(
20211229_131619.jpg
20211229_134629.jpg

Last edited:
Streak ends at 138. Ace Trainer Cortney with the Porygon-Z-2 lead got an early freeze on Shuckle after a Power Split, smacked it until Shuckle died, got a critical hit Thunderbolt on Suicune before it could set up well with Calm Mind, left Breloom at 20 HP after an Ice Beam, then woke up ASAP when Breloom needed anything but a one-turn sleep to be able to create a Substitute and salvage things.

Thaaat's the Battle Tower for you, folks. Oh well; it's preferable to getting dunked on by a set I was just ill-prepared to fight, which has been fairly common for past runs. Good streak, good streak. Maybe I should consider Icy Wind on Suicune to improve Breloom's speed control chances if I try again with this. Oh, Icy Wind Suicune isn't currently available.

1640833870016.png

Last edited:
Hi i’m building a team for single battles and still struggling for the RotomW. Here’s the team:

Gliscor @ toxic orb

Ability : poison heal
Evs : 252 hp / 4 def / 252 spe def
Nature : jolly
- Roost
- Sword dance
- Earthquake
- Facade / Knock off

Scizor @ leftovers

Ability : technician
Evs : 252 Hp / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Nature : adamant
- Roost
- sword dance
- bullet punch
- X scissor

Rotom W @ leftovers / choice scarf

Ability : levitate
Evs : ???
Nature : ???
- Hydropump
- thunderbolt / volt switch
- shadow ball / trick
- trick / will o wisp

I don’t really know what build of Rotom would suit best with the two others. I don’t want to run Nasty plot because it would be too much aside sword dance. But is it better to chose a defensive build or a choice scarf sweeper with 3 attacks and trick?
I’m obviously not a skilled player and will appreciate your opinions about this Rotom, if it’s possible

Hi i’m building a team for single battles and still struggling for the RotomW. Here’s the team:

Gliscor @ toxic orb

Ability : poison heal
Evs : 252 hp / 4 def / 252 spe def
Nature : jolly
- Roost
- Sword dance
- Earthquake
- Facade / Knock off

Scizor @ leftovers

Ability : technician
Evs : 252 Hp / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Nature : adamant
- Roost
- sword dance
- bullet punch
- X scissor

Rotom W @ leftovers / choice scarf

Ability : levitate
Evs : ???
Nature : ???
- Hydropump
- thunderbolt / volt switch
- shadow ball / trick
- trick / will o wisp

I don’t really know what build of Rotom would suit best with the two others. I don’t want to run Nasty plot because it would be too much aside sword dance. But is it better to chose a defensive build or a choice scarf sweeper with 3 attacks and trick?
I’m obviously not a skilled player and will appreciate your opinions about this Rotom, if it’s possible
I would choose Timid as your nature even with the trick scarf combo because it will allow you to put your EVs into bulkier options such as HP and choosing volt switch or SPA and choosing Thunderbolt.

image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg

Hello Everyone,

I got up to a 170 win streak using this rain team after losing to 4 consecutive critical hits in a single game. The main difference I went for is to use politoed and ludicolo as the rain mode. Ludicolo has a much more positive matchup into Gastrodon while still providing the relative coverage that Kingdra has. I chose Politoed as the rain setter for the added benefit of perish song, which I think is extremely powerful given that this format is multi battles. Perish song also checks a lot of the evasion hax shenanigans that plague the battle tower. Scizor is still very strong with rain. I went for more bulk than many of the other team I've seen given the perish mode. Latios is pretty self-explanatory as just a strong special attacker. Ludicolo is EV'd to outspend Barry's scarf Heracross in rain. The spreads on Politoed and Scizor could probably be optimised a bit more. I think this team has the potential to go a lot farther than I did here.

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Level: 50
EVs: 76 HP / 252 SpA / 180 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fake Out
- Giga Drain
- Scald
- Ice Beam

Scizor @ Lum Berry
Ability: Technician
EVs: 236 HP / 220 Atk / 52 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- X-Scissor
- Swords Dance
- Protect

Politoed (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 244 HP / 116 Def / 4 SpA / 140 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Protect
- Perish Song
- Hypnosis
- Scald

Latios @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Shadow Ball

currently on a 105 streak, i know current streaks aren't added until 200 but i wanted to show my progress.
team i'm using is:

Garchomp (M) @ Yache Berry
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Substitute

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 228 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet

Raikou @ Choice Specs
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Scald
- Volt Switch

pretty standard team, standard garchomp set with sd/eq/outrage/sub, only difference is i prefer yache berry over lum berry because it means i can sd on leads with ice coverage and still have over half of my hp if needed. very rarely did i need a lum (flamethrower burns, etc.) but the chances of that happening don't matter too much. sometimes it's useful for the outrage confusion but most of the time garchomp has done it's job so that azumarill and/or raikou can clean up.

azumarill is here so that other dragons (mostly dragonite) don't destroy me, while also having the very needed water coverage. azu's bulk makes it fairly easy to setup against weaker mons, but it doesn't necessarily need to use it all the time, depending on the team you're facing. the 20 speed investment outspeeds -speed swampert. i originally lost to a team with froslass/swampert/mamoswine, azu gets switched into froslass to set up belly drum and aqua jet kills, but the chance of aqua jet being disabled due to cursed body made me lose. swampert gets sent in, eq revenges. chomper gets sent in, sd's, but its ice coverage froze me and i lost. to prevent it from happening again i added the 20 speed evs just in case.

raikou is standard, i prefer volt switch over extrasensory because it helps maintain some momentum, especially if i know the oppo has a ground type in the back, i don't want to be locked into thunderbolt knowing i have no ground resists. however there's a team with lickilicky/breloom/milotic where extrasensory would come in handy vs breloom if i don't get 3 turns of outrage, or if i get 2 turns + hit myself in confusion. might slap it back on just so i don't risk any unnecessary rng.

the team struggles a little with palmer's heatran/rhyperior/dragonite team because it relies on rolls, not being frozen by ice punch, and not missing play rough. scenario goes:
t1: garchomp eqs heatran, heatran dragon pulses, takes chomp down to about 75%
t2: garchomp eqs heatran and kills, palmer sends in rhyperior
t3: switch out to azumarill, rhyperior uses ice punch (i pray it doesnt freeze)
t4: azumarill uses waterfall, but it's 50/50 to ohko rhyperior (where is liquidation smh).

if it ohkos rhyperior:
t5: dragonite comes in, uses dragon dance, azu uses play rough (pray it doesnt miss), dragonite left with 30-40%
t6: switch out azumarill for garchomp, dragonite uses thunderpunch
t7: dragonite locks into outrage, chomp dies, rough skin chip.
t8: azumarill comes back in to waterfall and win

if it doesnt ohko rhyperior:
t4: rhyperior eq's back, azumarill left with about 40-50% after sitrus berry.
t5: dragonite comes in, thunderpunch kills azumarill
t6: garchomp comes in to outrage, dragonite outrages back, kills chomp but takes rough skin damage.
t7: raikou comes in to tbolt to win

both scenarios require chomp to be alive to win, which is why i have to risk the ice punch switch in.

Since I'm a glutton for punishment I decided my first 'real' streak attempt would be using only things I obtained/bred on my own cartridge. Ironically this led me to a slight variation of the same team I first used playing Battle Arcade on a ROM last year. Gyarados is probably the fastest Pokemon to breed, and Blissey and Drapion don't need flawless IVs to do their job with Intimidate support. It turns out, however, they do need maxed out PP now that we can face opponents who have theirs maxed as well; so far Masters has been easier than Classic once I had enough BP/Pickup farming to get enough PP Ups for my stallers. I just got to rank 10 with the only loss coming the first battle against Rank 9 Cynthia.

Of course she had the team with the Inner Focus Lucario lead. Gyarados DDs turn 1, Lucario Close Combats, then Gyarados Waterfalls for the KO. I originally planned to DD twice, do what it could to Garchomp before getting KOed, have Drapion finish off Garchomp, and then win unless Togekiss flinched Blissey like 9 times in a row, but I chickened out about getting crit by the 2nd Close Combat and then picked off with Bullet Punch.

Garchomp (Sashed with SD-EQ-Outrage-Stone Edge) comes in and Gyarados is at just enough HP for a minimum roll Stone Edge to KO. So I've got a pretty good plan here to switch in Drapion and take the Stone Edge, which will bring it into Earthquake KO range so I can go back to Gyarados, and then at -1 it will be likely to SD or at least Gyarados can survive a non-crit Stone Edge and Roar it out for Scarf Togekiss, which in a previous battle locked into Grass Knot against Gyarados - free Drapion setup.

Instead, leave it to me to get screwed over by an opponent's miss. Drapion is not in Earthquake KO range so Garchomp SDs on the switch back to Gyarados. I go back to Drapion on the Edge that hits this time, back to Gyarados on EQ, and it Stone Edge crits as I try to Roar it out. At this point my best hope is to Minimize with Blissey and try to cheese it with evasion and maybe Outrage confusion, but +0 Garchomp promptly SDs and then crit KOs.

Gyarados @ Focus Sash
Adamant
Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Spe
IVs: 31/'pretty good'/31/x/'very good'/31
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Scary Face
- Roar

It's got Intimidate, resists Fighting, is immune to Ground, and I have Brilliant Diamond so I wasn't using Salamence. The moveset leaves a lot to be desired, but by and large it's just using Roar against troublesome attack-boosting or OHKO leads and switching in and out until Drapion or Blissey can set up. Focus Sash lets it try to do at least one thing against OHKO users (I had a real fun one where Drifblim BPed +2 evasion to Sub/Protect/EQ/Guillotine Gliscor where Blissey stalled Gliscor out of all but 2 Guillotines so I figured I could switch back into Gyarados and maybe try actually getting a sweep, and of course it got hit by both Guillotines). It also helps in situations where Blissey has to KO the lead and there's something like DD Tyranitar that will come out 2nd; if the 3rd Pokemon is something Blissey handles, I can just spam Seismic Toss against the physical threat until Blissey is unsubbed and in KO range, sacrifice Drapion, and then have Gyarados take a hit and finish it off with Waterfall.

Blissey @ Leftovers
Timid
Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP/252 Def/252 Spe
IVs: 31/x/29/x/30/26
- Substitute
- Minimize
- Soft-boiled
- Seismic Toss

Even without the Eviolite, it still grinds the battle to a halt against so many opponents (a pat on the tail for effort goes to Competitive LO Milotic which can have you spamming Recover and hoping you don't take consecutive Hydro Pump crits). There are enough attack boosters and PP maxed stally stuff lurking that Blissey can't plow through teams as easily, but in this team it's meant to be used more as a crippler than a sweeper anyways. Blissey paves the way for Drapion sweeps against special attacking leads by PP stalling them out of their strongest attack(s); this takes longer than using Trick or Memento on something like Uxie but gives Drapion more time to fully set up and allows Blissey to come back in later at full health if need be. Blissey's moveset is obviously tried and true, but I've actually thought about turning back the clock and going with Double Team for the extra PP over the extra +1 evasion per use - freaking Defense Curl, man!

Drapion @ Black Sludge
Adamant
Battle Armor
EVs: 252 HP/4 Atk/252 SpDef
IVs: 31/bottle cap/28/x/bottle cap/bottle cap
- Substitute
- Acupressure
- Rest
- Knock Off

As you can see, I put a lot of thought into this EV spread. It's still Drapion, but there are things like Unaware CM Clef that can beat it when set up. I'm sure there's a better EV spread, but for now I'm just putting a Drapion team on the board and I'm sure others will improve upon it.
Hello, Battle Tower comrades!

I just want to ask: how do you deal with Cloyster-3 and Cloyster-4 (Candice Cloyster). I'm currently on master rank 8 and having a hard time against shell smash cloyster. I'm using the team above except Sash Jolly Intimidate Salamence(Outrage, Earthquake, DragonDance and Substitute) instead of Gyarados, but well, he would wreck me anyway.

The team below was very hard to deal with, since espeon baton pass reflect or light screen to cloyster set up .
I was lucky cloyster chose to razor shell my drapion instead of icicle spear (??? -dont know why since icicle was garanted 1 HKO with +2 attack and +2 speed)

IreneAce Trainer (F)Singles MasterEspeon-3Cloyster-3Raikou-4

I also have a hard time against clear body metagross-4 using this team (Salamence-Blissey-Drapion), sice he carries ice punch, bullet punch and meteor mash. I cant low his atk making switches to salamence(intimidate) and he has a good movepool to wreck this team. Meteor Mash hits hard and get +1 atk boosts.

The team below was able to defeat me:

KristiCyclistSingles MasterArticuno-5Metagross-4Gyarados-4

Also, 1 h-KO moves forced me to use substitute on salamence (instead of Roar). The NPC seems to have insane accuracy and I usually lose one of my pokemons if I switch to blissey or drapion (hello articuno-5, lapras-2, dewgong-3 etc).

Thanks for the community for sharing their teams and strategies! I think this battle tower is harder than the ones in previous generations, so much hax involved on master singles, but trying my best to get to rank 10.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)