Resource BDSP Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Lalaya

Banned deucer.
Been cruising through the forums and I have yet to see a team or mention of metagross. Seems like no one is using him
he's not a Pokémon you can easily slot in a team, unfortunately; pair his middling Speed to having no means of boosting his power, and losing most of what made his coverage good (the elemental punches), and you get one sorry Pokémon

It may be reevaluated and the meta is still quite new, but rn he doesn't really do anything other steels or other statuppers or rkillers do

What's up with Politoed and Drizzle? Is Drizzle just that good or has Politoed just been forgotten about here.
Before the Drizzle ban: Pelipper was just straight up the better weather setter, since he could actually abuse his own weather right with Scald and Hurricane and U-turn away regardless, and Roost off the damage he would take while still being decently bulky
Now: Drizzle is banned and Politoed has no relevancy whatsoever without his poster ability, rip

What's an optimal way to build a Jolly Gliscor? I see a lot of sets running an Impish or Careful nature, but I got my hands on a Jolly Gligar in-game from a giveaway. Should I just use a mint, or is there a viable set I can roll with?
Right now more defensive Gliscors are used more, but Jolly variants can have some relevance on SD sets (although you'd usually still run Impish unless in a pretty hefty offense) and I believe there's a Jolly spread for SDef Gliscor too (244 HP / 244 SDef / 20 Speed)

Will BDSP suspect tests count towards the 4 OU tests for tier contributor, or will it be just for the 10 suspect tests minimum for other tiers?
10 since BDSP OU is a whole different metagame compared to gen 8 OU
What's up with Politoed and Drizzle? Is Drizzle just that good or has Politoed just been forgotten about here.
Only selling point for politoed was drizzle. also politoed was never used like pelliper since pelliper provided more offensive pressure and defog.
Been cruising through the forums and I have yet to see a team or mention of metagross. Seems like no one is using him
metagross gets outclassed by scizor in every possible way, no point in using it when u get defog,roost, sword dance, u-turn, bullet punch and technician

What Pokémon should I consider for a sun team? I've got Torkoal, Venusaur and Zard down already, but what are the others that have utility for this archetype (doesn't need to be just 3, I'm asking for all Pokémon that I could viably use)?

Katy

Banned deucer.
What Pokémon should I consider for a sun team? I've got Torkoal, Venusaur and Zard down already, but what are the others that have utility for this archetype (doesn't need to be just 3, I'm asking for all Pokémon that I could viably use)?
Vectribeel can be used as this is the only sun abuser left with Weather Ball to bypass Skarmory and other Steel-types (not Heatran tho, it needs support against it). Heatran itself can find a place on sun teams with Specs or Scarf and Overheat, as everything which doesn't have Flash Fire will get struck really hard, especially in sun. Another abuser could be Infernape, as Flare Blitz / Overheat in sun hits pretty hard too and it can directly scare opposing Heatran.

Other sun Pokemon are Ninetales (setter, tho its a bit frail and doesnt have hazard removal options), Leafeon, but it doesnt have that great coverage, and also Tangrowth with Chlorophyll.

You can also add a Ground-type like Garchomp to your team for Stealth Rocks purposes to free up a slot on Toakoal and to VoltBlock Volt Switch attempts.

Vectribeel can be used as this is the only sun abuser left with Weather Ball to bypass Skarmory and other Steel-types (not Heatran tho, it needs support against it). Heatran itself can find a place on sun teams with Specs or Scarf and Overheat, as everything which doesn't have Flash Fire will get struck really hard, especially in sun. Another abuser could be Infernape, as Flare Blitz / Overheat in sun hits pretty hard too and it can directly scare opposing Heatran.

Other sun Pokemon are Ninetales (setter, tho its a bit frail and doesnt have hazard removal options), Leafeon, but it doesnt have that great coverage, and also Tangrowth with Chlorophyll.

You can also add a Ground-type like Garchomp to your team for Stealth Rocks purposes to free up a slot on Toakoal and to VoltBlock Volt Switch attempts.
Thank you very much! I'm thinking about adding Mammo instead of Chomp though, to help vs Dragons.

Question pertaining to Doubles Gravity+Sleep moves clause.

We ban making sleep status moves 100% for a limited amount of turns as 100% acc sleep is oppressive.
Why is this rule not include Spore as it is a 100% acc sleep move?

Not asking for it to be banned, as it clearly passed in later gens, just wondering why it was passed as I cant find any info.

Where can you see this?
In the PS! builder, aside from a few NFE/LC mons, everything is labeled OU. Regardless, since we can't actually sort tiers by usage at the moment, OU is the default tier and so all the mons are placed into it by default.

Reactions: pix

roxie

https://www.youtube.com/@noxiousroxie
is a Tutoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Can the thread be more organized like the National Dex sub forum? Tournaments and whatever resources are likely to be made for each tier and it just feels overall easier to navigate

Looking for input on a team based around rain. I know drizzle is banned currently but this team wouldn't be used in these rules, it would be used in friendly battles.

Currently I have:

Pelipper - Bold, Damp Rock, 252 evs in Hp and Attack
- Hurricane
- Scald
- Roost
- U-Turn

Rotom Wash - Modest, no item chosen but using shell bell currently, 252 evs in sp att and speed
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Nasty Plot
- Hydro Pump

Kingdra - Modest, life orb, 252 evs in Sp Attk and Speed
- Surf
- Draco Meteor
- Yawn
- Dragon Pulse

Garchomp - Jolly, no item yet, 252 evs in Attk and Speed
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Claw
- not sure about 4th move yet

Magnezone - modest, no item yet, 252 evs in Sp Attk and Speed
- Thunder
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Explosion

Not certain on 6th, but here was what I had as filler meantime
Bronzong - brave, no item yet, 252 evs in hp and attack
- Explosion
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

I feel bronzong doesn't really have a place here. It seems to weird of a fit, I was considering changing this for a Scizor, technician, with bullet punch, defog and a few other moves. I like using thunder over thunderbolt due to rain's 100% accuracy boost. I'm not sure I like Kingdra losing 1/10 hp every turn with the life orb, but I wouldn't want to be stuck in to one move with a choice item. I would greatly appreciate feedback and/or suggestions of how to tune this team, or if you just think its plain bad! It is all welcome, I'm simply looking to try smash my friends in 1v1s on BDSP.

Cheers.

Here are my suggestions.

You should really switch the type of set between kingdra and rotom wash. Rotom is a defensive pokemon so use things like volt switch, will o wisp and pain split. as for kingdra, run something like lifeorb or specs. personally, I suggest running scizor instead of bronzong, manaphy instead of magnezone. and as for ground types, chomp is fine, PH gliscor is another option. If you run chomp, you can run swords dance. however, I would be running specs latios with thudner surf psychic and drco meteor. this complements rain really well and hlep you wall break. As for manaphy, you can run tail glow rest, scald, icebeam.

Looking for input on a team based around rain. I know drizzle is banned currently but this team wouldn't be used in these rules, it would be used in friendly battles.

Currently I have:

Pelipper - Bold, Damp Rock, 252 evs in Hp and Attack
- Hurricane
- Scald
- Roost
- U-Turn

Rotom Wash - Modest, no item chosen but using shell bell currently, 252 evs in sp att and speed
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Nasty Plot
- Hydro Pump

Kingdra - Modest, life orb, 252 evs in Sp Attk and Speed
- Surf
- Draco Meteor
- Yawn
- Dragon Pulse

Garchomp - Jolly, no item yet, 252 evs in Attk and Speed
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Claw
- not sure about 4th move yet

Magnezone - modest, no item yet, 252 evs in Sp Attk and Speed
- Thunder
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Explosion

Not certain on 6th, but here was what I had as filler meantime
Bronzong - brave, no item yet, 252 evs in hp and attack
- Explosion
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

I feel bronzong doesn't really have a place here. It seems to weird of a fit, I was considering changing this for a Scizor, technician, with bullet punch, defog and a few other moves. I like using thunder over thunderbolt due to rain's 100% accuracy boost. I'm not sure I like Kingdra losing 1/10 hp every turn with the life orb, but I wouldn't want to be stuck in to one move with a choice item. I would greatly appreciate feedback and/or suggestions of how to tune this team, or if you just think its plain bad! It is all welcome, I'm simply looking to try smash my friends in 1v1s on BDSP.

Cheers.
some pointers, rain needs manaphy, yawn is bad on kingdra ur better of using hurricane. and ice beam in place of dragon pulse. stealth rock is good on chomp, use scarf lead rotom, also something like banded crawdunt is also good in rain. yache, lefties and scarf are also great item options on chomp. also abuse latios. run sp.atk on that pelliper

Thanks both - only issue is im actually making this on BDSP - you cant get hurrican on kingdra in the game, or if you can, I havent found how. Also, I'm trying to avoid any legendaries/mythicals. I think I'll drop bronzong as you said for scizor, and regarding rotom, you're saying its too similar to kingdra and should be more defensive and used to inflict status?

Another issue with my actually getting these mons in game is that its a right ache to change natures etc lol. Shouldnt be hard for me to undo pelipper's attack evs into sp attach though so I'll do that.

Anything I've missed?

Both will o wisp and volt switch are tms so you can obtain them easily.
As for manaphy, I think an alternative is kabutops or ludicolo,
for kabutops you can use liqudation, knock off(Egg move), stone edge, and leech life(all other moves are level up)

Question pertaining to Doubles Gravity+Sleep moves clause.

We ban making sleep status moves 100% for a limited amount of turns as 100% acc sleep is oppressive.
Why is this rule not include Spore as it is a 100% acc sleep move?

Not asking for it to be banned, as it clearly passed in later gens, just wondering why it was passed as I cant find any info.
I'm not a Doubles players but what I can imagine is that Spore has rather limited distribution and its abusers aren't the quickest/strongest, whereas moves like Dark Void/Hypnosis/Sleep Powder/Sing have wider distribution and more potent abusers.

Is there any place where I can see the differences in mechanics between BDSP and DPP? At the moment I could only realize the addition of preview, the Fairy-types, and the absence of Hidden Power. Am I missing anything?

Is there any place where I can see the differences in mechanics between BDSP and DPP? At the moment I could only realize the addition of preview, the Fairy-types, and the absence of Hidden Power. Am I missing anything?
Removal of pursuit, no perma weather, added moves and abilities, different move effects (Defog) are some of the most notable besides the ones you mentioned. Also type changes like Rotom.

Hey Buddy! https://pokepast.es/04e391ca406e7d99 here are the personal changes I have implemented Trick Scarf Rotom helps a lot against stall and fast will-o-wisp destroys a lot of phy attkrs. Flashcannon on Magnezone is needed a lot. Added defog to scizor since hazard stack destroys this team. added rocks for chomp.
Thank you for the suggestions, with trick rotom, how will I go about using trick to swap items if I'm limited by choice locking one move? Or is that purely to guarantee I get the first move in and swap items leaving me free to volt out? And would you say Lead with pelipper, but u-turn into what the situation requires once rain is up? Say, scizor for removal of entry hazards, or garchomp for setting up rocks, or kingdra if I have chance to quickly kill a mon? Greatly appreciate this, thanks

wobbuffet.gif
wynaut.gif
With the arrival of BDSP OU, there is unsurprisingly a minimal banlist. And among that, there is Shadow Tag, where his presence is in principle indisputable. But since there will probably only be Wobbuffet's family in these games (in any case, this is the current situation), isn't this a good opportunity to test them in OU? Naturally, Woobuffet is far from being something perfectly balanced, with the possibility of trapping most of Choice users or combining Encore with Tickle (cf. this replay with the combination of Pursuit). But the absence of Gothitelle/Gothorita and their PP Stall set simplifies the problem a bit. If it turns out that Wobbuffet remains too bulky and that it succeeds too easily these Counter/Mirror Coat, then it would stay in Uber and Wynaut would become the only chosen one

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
Can the thread be more organized like the National Dex sub forum? Tournaments and whatever resources are likely to be made for each tier and it just feels overall easier to navigate
Eventually, maybe, but it depends on our sub-metas getting enough popularity, and the forum has only existed for 2 weeks at this point.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)