Suspect BH8 Suspect #6 - Sleep Moves Clause

Status
Not open for further replies.

a loser

I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
sleepachu.png

What?
Based on council discussion and community feedback, the BH Council is going to suspect test the Sleep Moves Clause. If implemented, all sleep inducing moves will be banned from Balanced Hackmons. If not, the Sleep Clause Mod will remain in place.

Why?
Sleep is used to completely shut down opponents for one to three turns and is largely seen as uncompetitive. Popular sleep inducing moves include Spore and Lovely Kiss, which are commonly seen on setup sweepers like Eternatus, Poison Heal Xerneas, and Triage users like Yveltal and Rayquaza. Spore is 100% accurate and is only denied by Grass-types, Safety Goggles, Magic Bounce and niche abilities. Lovely Kiss is 75% accurate but works on Grass-types and Safety Goggles users. Putting foes to sleep takes control away from the opponent and allows the sleep setter free turns to use setup moves and/or take down opposing mons.

The Sleep Clause Mod currently limits teams to putting one opposing mon to sleep at a time. This prevents players from being completely shut down by sleep spamming teams and provides an avenue to potentially play around sleep setters. However, this still means that one mon must be sacrificed to the sleep move, making it unavailable for reliable use later on. Plus, nothing is stopping the sleep setter from just attacking and taking out the mon that baits the sleep move.

Recently, there has been a rise of sleep inducing moves paired with partial trapping moves like Thunder Cage and Magma Storm on strong attackers like Eternatus, Xerneas, and Triage users. Not only do these moves trap foes to prevent switching to a sleep sack, but they hit for residual damage all while the trapped foe is unable to move due to sleep.

There are other methods of preventing sleep setters from getting out of hand, including but not limited to: Poison Heal, Magic Bounce, Safety Goggles, Misty/Electric Terrain, Guts, Comatose, and Taunt. However, using these methods to prevent sleep does not guarantee that the sleep setter will be defeated, as they can still use setup moves and attacks.

How?
  • We will be using the new suspect process laid out by Zarel here (aka no COIL).
  • The voting requirements are a minimum GXE of 82 with at least 30 games played.
  • Do so by making a new alt with the prefix “sleep”. For example I could register the alt "sleep all day"
  • The alt must have a creation date on or after September 29, 2021
Where?
You must post your proof of reqs in this thread and play your games on the main pokemonshowdown.com sim.

Sleep inducing moves will be allowed in the ladder for the duration of this suspect; I would recommend using them as much as you can to get a feel of how they are in the meta and have a good idea of if they are broken/unhealthy or if they are perfectly manageable after all.
Do:
  • Post your proof of reqs and, if you wish, your stance on the matter briefly, in this thread. Read the following CAREFULLY on how to do so:
    • you MUST FIRST AND FOREMOST PROVIDE AN IMAGE OF THE ALT WITH PROOF OF OWNERSHIP. We can't stress that last part enough. Refer to these examples of how to do this: example1 example2 example3
    • If you don’t do at least the above, your vote won’t be counted. We will be very strict about this.
  • Post in this thread if you have any questions about THIS SUSPECT PROCESS.

Do NOT:
  • Post your stance on the matter in this thread without proof of requirements (This should be posted in the main thread instead)
  • Post anything in this thread unrelated to this suspect (with or without proof)

When?
This suspect period will last until October 13, 2021, 11:59 pm GMT-5. We will try to begin the voting process immediately after and post the Voter ID Thread similar to past suspects.

GLHF!
---
TLDR?
  • 82 GXE after 30 games with a new alt
    • “sleep” alt with image proof IN THIS THREAD
  • Sleep inducing moves ALLOWED on ladder
  • DEADLINE: October 13, 2021
  • This suspect test counts toward the Tiering Contributor badge!
    1613412842506.png
Tagging Kris to setup suspect and announcement on PS ladder games. Thank you!

Last edited:
Screen Shot 2021-09-30 at 7.30.59 AM.png

In this period when sleep usage has ticked up it's become even more clear to me that sleep on any mon is uncompetitive. No defensive mon can really check any prominent offensive mon if it loses 2 turns turns of tempo via 3 turn sleep and the tcage spore sets remove the "sleep sack" counterplay you would otherwise have. Most of the counterplay against these sets then is contained within some specific tools in the builder (goggles, ferrothorn, sometimes bounce but mold etern is insane) that have really narrow use cases and it's really not the direction I think the meta should go because it constricts the builder so much.

some tournament replays from the no imp tour where mold tcage spore dominates the game in imo a really unhealthy way:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1410273200-e0qukdu0gqougfl2cbovo1o1pxwkjfepw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1416107418-f9e3jckimmavm3g33ryh0q3vplz66nmpw

a loser

I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
1633013662961.png

Lost a couple games this morning I had no business losing, but I hadn't had my coffee yet so I'll be blaming sleep for those. I also got lucky on several wins but I'll credit that to my skill. I used the guys shown below, click on them for the team.

PH Ogre helped me play around sleep on this run but I did catch an unlucky 3 turner in one loss. Not entirely decided on sleep yet but the replays above really highlight how lame it can be.

REqs2.PNG

Used this team for reqs: https://pokepast.es/8036c7304bd183f7

I agree with the posts above, sleep is pretty broken. It can make partial trapping sets completely impossible to wall without a good check for it on your team. And even if you have a decent check, an unlucky amount of sleep turns can still make a decent check into another victim. Sleep can also invalidate counterplay to setup sweepers by geting an effective ko for 1-3 turns. Will probably be voting ban unless someone changes my mind.

Finally got reqs:
Screenshot 2021-10-04 5.47.49 PM.png

Screenshot 2021-10-04 5.53.57 PM.png

Definitely not the cleanest reqs, but it was faster to just forfeit instantly for the last two games since I could easily make the gxe reqiurement. I mostly used Magic Guard Stall and this team: https://pokepast.es/0e15ce8226803b86. If you want to see how overpowered Shuckle is, feel free to use my team to get reqs yourself. Though Shuckle still pales in comparison to the almighty Unown.

Last edited:
hi azurefox here currently sleep? yes please2 i feel that sleep isnt the problem more or less the bad game play surrounding the match my experience with by far the most annoying sleep setter it would be jermines sons mewtwo i would pivot to magic bounce to stop the sing but he would predict and then hit zap cannon there was more than enough counter play around sleep while on my climb to 82 gxe i've found that there were teams that made themselves sleep immune like making a trap immune team, my point is that if sleep is a big problem for you build around it in my early days i was hard countered by magic bounce but i built my team around now ive made the leader board on like 4 different accounts now

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1422801715-g83umgc93ffohqb7aqgf28u9zrxmz1epw

TLDR sleep isnt the problem bad game play is

Attachments

martinvtran

Banned deucer.
Screen Shot 2021-10-09 at 4.01.11 am.png

:xerneas::necrozma-dusk-mane::ho-oh::tapu-fini::zygarde-complete::chansey:
https://pokepast.es/57450b180bb64e7d
Linking the team I used, with a further explanation here.

In all my 5 suspect tests that I’ve done, I haven’t voted to ban anything yet. However, I think this will be my first vote to ban. I don’t believe Sleep alone is that centralising, but in the BH metagame where every Pokėmon has access to Spore and Lovely Kiss, it can be used in combination with other set-up sweepers to create really broken strategies that are very difficult to overcome. A few notable cores I came across (some I lost to and had to restart) include:

:regigigas: :obstagoon: :kyurem-black:
A Spore user that pivots into a strong sweeper that can set up quickly is a common strategy that can win games very quickly. Or even, the set-up sweeper can run Spore themselves. Sleep invalidates a Pokémon for up to 3 turns, which is enough to force a switch and set up a Belly Drum. This is pertinent to Regigigas, Obstagoon and Kyurem-Black, which take advantage of STAB / Galvanise or Refrigerate-boosted Extreme-Speeds that can clean a team in 7 turns. Extreme Speed at +2 or more is incredibly strong as it operates in the priority bracket above Prankster, allowing Extreme Speed users to knock out common set-up removal such as Haze/Topsy-Turvy Tapu-Fini before they can move.

:celesteela: :yveltal:
This one is not as centralising as the Belly Drum + Extreme Speed set, but Triage set-up users such as Yveltal and Celesteela heavily benefit from the opponent being unable to move for 1-3 turns. After using Spore, the opponent will likely switch out, providing an opportunity for Triage users to set up to +2 with Nasty Plot and starting sweeping. However, this strategy is much weaker and is more effective late-game when threats are removed and the opposing team is weakened.

COUNTERS:
:zygarde-complete::giratina:
Magic Bounce is a common solution to Spore. Spore is usually such a spammable move, but you can often safely switch in Magic Bounce users such as Zygarde-Complete and Giratina and put the opponent to sleep instead. I personally carry a Magic Bounce user on every team I use because the reflection of Status moves is amazing in the current metagame.

:safety-goggles:
This is more of a gimmick, but a surprise Safety Goggles slapped onto a lead Pokémon can be used to bait the opponent into using Spore or quickly switching into an anticipated Spore. The only drawback is that it is a waste of an item space to combat only one move, and every Pokémon can perform better with other items than Safety Goggles.

:ferrothorn::kartana:
Grass-type Pokémon are immune to Spore and can be switched in on Spore. However, this is unreliable, as it leaves Grass-type Pokémon still vulnerable to non-Grass-type sleep-inducing moves. Additionally, Grass is one of the worst types in the BH meta with the abundance of Flying, Steel, Fire, Ground, and Dragon Pokémon. Only two Grass-types occupy the viability rankings.

:tapu-fini::magearna:
Prankster Haze and Topsy Turvy can be a counter to the Spore + set-up strategy. If the opponent is not a Dark-type, Topsy Turvy can regain momentum by greatly punishing opposing set-up sweepers. However, the main issue is safely pivoting into these Pokémon, and will often involve another Pokémon being knocked out to allow the Hazer to safely enter. +4 Oblivion Wing and Extreme Speed will completely knock out Tapu Fini before it can use Topsy-Turvy, but Magearna has a greater chance of surviving if it enters earlier.

In this replay, you can see a typical Spore + set-up lead on Regigigas that can allow to sweeper to quickly snowball and become untouchable with Extreme Speed (comes with a bit of rage too). I honestly think I only won in this instance because my opponent decided to go for a second Clangourous Soul, but the common Belly Drum + Extreme Speed would not allow Tapu Fini to invert the opponent’s stat boosts.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1431606969-v66ii672pezko04wj8ppao36r0tyglcpw

+2 252+ Atk Silk Scarf Regigigas Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tapu Fini: 262-310 (76.1 - 90.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)