move 2: Hydro Pump / Surf
move 3: Ice Beam
move 4: Dark Pulse / Aura Sphere
item: White Herb
ability: Torrent
nature: Modest
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Blastoise is a Shell Smash sweeper that fits well on offensive teams. Its good bulk and typing guarantee it a chance to set up against threats like Darmanitan, Incineroar, and Inteleon, while its wide coverage options allow it sweep against a huge number of threats in the UU Tier. Surf is a more accurate alternative over Hydro Pump though its base power is lower, missing important OHKOs on Gigalith and Doublade as well as a 2HKO on Bronzong. Ice Beam is a crucial coverage move, hitting top threats such as Noivern, Roserade, and Haxorus hard. Dark Pulse allows Blastoise to deal neutral damage to Golisopod and Araquanid while also being a safer option to hit bulky Psychic-types such as Bronzong, and Reuniclus. Aura Sphere is an option over Dark Pulse as a safer option to Umbreon and cleanly KO Heliolisk. White Herb preserves Blastoise's good defenses and allows Blastoise to tank priority moves bar First Impression Haxorus if it has already taken a hit while setting up. Blastoise can also run a physical variant of this set with Liquidation, Ice Punch, and Earthquake, but the lower base power of its moves leave Blastoise much weaker than the special set.

Blastoise's main issue lies on its average offensive stats which leaves it struggling against the tier's bulky threats such as Sylveon, Milotic, and Vaporeon. Wallbreakers such as Machamp and Darmanitan can weaken or outright remove the aforementioned threats, paving the way for Blastoise to sweep. Grass types such as Roserade and Rotom-C make good partners as they can cover Blastoise's Water- and Grass-type checks. Roserade in particular can also set up Spikes which can aid Blastoise on sweeping. Blastoise in return can check Fire-types for them in a pinch. Incineroar has good bulk and defensive typing, allowing it to handle Blastoise's Grass-type checks. Its Parting Shot support helps Blastoise in setting up Shell Smash. Dual screens support from Xatu and Espeon gives Blastoise more setup opportunities.

name: Rapid Spin
move 1: Rapid Spin
move 2: Scald
move 3: Rest
move 4: Sleep Talk
item: Leftovers
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Blastoise's impressive bulk and good matchup against the tier's hazard setters such as Rhyperior and Gigalith make it a competent hazard remover with Rapid Spin. The hazard removal it provides gives it an advantage over other bulky waters such as Milotic and Vaporeon, both Pokemon with better bulk and more reliable recovery. Scald allows it to fish for burns on Pokemon such as Golisopod and Doublade. Rest and Sleep Talk give Blastoise longevity and recovery to outlast Toxic users such as Bronzong. Alternatively, Blastoise can run Toxic over Sleep Talk instead to wear down bulky Pokemon such as Milotic, though it compromises its own recovery. Maximum Defense investment and Leftovers allow it to check powerful Pokemon such as Darmanitan and consistently spin throughout the match. This set faces heavy competition with Rotom-Wash, as Rotom-Wash also has Defog to remove hazards and Rest to heal status while having pivoting capabilities thanks to Volt Switch and better offensive presence. This set also drains momentum from the team when facing teams that have Pokemon that do not mind Scald such as Celebi.

Pokemon that enjoy hazard removal support from Blastoise such as Chandelure and Darmanitan make good teammates. Incineroar and Blastoise form a defensive core while also taking off too much pressure from each other from checking Pokemon such as Darmanitan and Incineroar repeatedly. Due to Rapid Spin retaining the hazards on the opponent's field, Spikes Roserade makes a good partner as it can also threaten Rotom-W and Milotic. Escavalier can freely come in and threaten Blastoise's Grass-type checks such as Roserade and Celebi.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[MegaFlareon, 239648]]
- Quality checked by: [[username1, userid1], [username2, userid2]]
- Grammar checked by: [[username1, userid1]]

Last edited:
Hello just your friendly am check here. Comments are in bold. Implement whatever you like.

View attachment 237788
[SET]
name: Shell Smash
move 1: Shell Smash

[SET COMMENTS]
Blastoise is a solid Shell Smash sweeper that fits well on offensive teams. Its good bulk and typing guarantee it a chance to set up while its wide coverage options allow it sweep against a huge number of threats in the UU tier (The opening would be more convincing if you hooked the reader in at the start by immediately covering Stoise's natural bulk. That's a valid niche to have as a Shell Smash mon in the tier as opposed to Polteageist who's almost always preserved for the lategame.) . Hydro Pump is its best STAB move despite its accuracy, as its high base power gives it more chance to KO its opponents (This is fluff.) . Surf is a more accurate alternative, though its base power is lower (This needs to emphasize more on the drawbacks of Surf outside of lower base power. What does Stoise fail to KO/2HKO by not running Pump?). Ice Beam is a crucial coverage move, hitting top threats such as Noivern, Roserade, and Haxorus hard. Dark Pulse allows Blastoise to deal with bulky Psychic-types such as Bronzong, Necrozma (Pump has a good chance of OHKOing Necro whereas DP is always a 2HKO), and Reuniclus. Aura Sphere is an option over Dark Pulse to hit Umbreon hard (Except Umbreon takes Aura Sphere fairly well, it deals almost the same amount of damage that Pump would. Instead cover that Aura Sphere is completely accurate for Umbreon) and cleanly KO Heliolisk. White Herb allows Blastoise to tank priority moves bar Choice Band First Impression (Mention Haxorus since that's the mon I'm assuming you are alluding to.) if it has already taken a hit while setting up (While generally allowing Stoise to use its solid bulk to its advantage).

(Mention what threats Blastoise sets up on in the tier.)

Blastoise's main issue lies on its average offensive stats which leaves it struggling against the tier's bulky threats such as Sylveon (Eh not the best example since Pump is a 2HKO. Mention another bulky water ie. Vaporeon instead.), Milotic, and Umbreon (You also sort of contradict yourself in the previous paragraph by stating that Aura Sphere "hits hard" in the previous paragraph then state that Stoise struggles against it.). Wallbreakers such as Machamp and Darmanitan can weaken or outright remove the aforementioned threats, paving the way for Blastoise to sweep. Grass types such as Roserade and Rotom-C make good partners as they can cover Blastoise's Water- and Grass-type checks. Roserade in particular can also set up Spikes which can aid Blastoise on sweeping. Blastoise in return can check Fire-types for them (I feel that in most scenarios you generally wouldn't want Stoise to hard switch into Fire-types.). Blastoise can also run a physical variant of this set with Liquidation, Ice Punch, and Earthquake, but the lower base power of its moves leave Blastoise much weaker than the special set (This belongs in the paragraph above.).

(Mention Incineroar as a partner due to its defensive typing and Parting Shot ensuring Blastoise can safely set up Shell Smash.)

(Mention Webs since Stoise highly abuses it due to its poor speed.)

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Blastoise's impressive bulk and good matchup against the tier's hazard setters (Rhyperior and Gigalith) make it a competent hazard remover with Rapid Spin. Rest and Sleep Talk give Blastoise longevity and recovery. Alternatively, Blastoise can run Toxic and Refresh instead to wear down its checks (Toxic wears down what checks? Refresh is also illegal this gen so remove that. Also explain why Toxic compromise its RestTalk recovery. If it's not on the main set, always provide a reason to why it didn't make the cut.). Maximum Defense investment and Leftovers allow it to check hazard setters (It's a bulky Water, surely you can provide offensive mons that it checks.) and consistently spin throughout the match

(This paragraph especially needs to be reworked. It's seriously barebones and its points are vague and unconvincing as to why you'd use this set. It's a spinner with a good matchup against the tier's common rockers? I can say the same thing about Tsareena, a spinner that also has a fine matchup against most rockers. Why would I need to use Stoise over Tsareena who provides far more offensive pressure? Alternatively, why would I use Stoise over another bulky Water like Vapo, Milo, or Mantine, who all have more beneficial utility and recovery? You do pinpoint Stoise's bulk but fail to link that to the justification of using Stoise. This is a fairly niche mon, and mons like these often require more concrete evidence to justify why you'd use them over generally superior competition.)

This set fits well on balanced and bulky offensive teams that need hazard removal but also want to retain their own hazards throughout the match. Pokemon that are vulnerable to hazards such as Chandelure and Darmanitan appreciate Blastoise's Rapid Spin support while also
having good matchup against Blastoise's checks (What checks specifically, there's a difference between Roserade and Washtom). Incineroar is another notable teammate for its ability to check spinblockers (The only notable spinblockers are Chandy and Doub and both are not going to want to take a Scald. Stoise outright checks Doub anyway. It's an ok partner, but this isn't why you'd use Incin on your team with this Stoise.) . Due to Rapid Spin retaining the hazards on the opponent's field, Spikes and Sticky Web users such as Roserade and Ribombee also pair well with Blastoise(Remove Sticky Web mentions I dont see any realistic reason to why you would fit Webs on Balance.).

[CREDITS]

So I had to make far more corrections to this analysis than I originally anticipated. Take this with a grain of salt, but this reads as if you scrambled to complete the analysis on time or there's a lack of metagame knowledge. I highly suggest you implement some of my notes on this analysis before an actual QC member checks this. It is not their job to write the analysis for you, but to rather nitpick and make minor adjustments. Take care.

Last edited:

vivalospride

can’t rest in peace cause they diggin me
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Gonna be going over bayb's amcheck blah blah, his shit is in blue mine is in red

Anything I don't touch on is fine

Hello just your friendly am check here. Comments are in bold. Implement whatever you like.

View attachment 237788
[SET]
name: Shell Smash
move 1: Shell Smash

[SET COMMENTS]
Blastoise is a solid (viability is up in the air across the gen really, it's not bad but just removing the word solid is prolly for the best) Shell Smash sweeper that fits well on offensive teams. Its good bulk and typing guarantee it a chance to set up (mention some stuff it can setup on, some examples being Darmanitan, Incineroar, and Inteleon) while its wide coverage options allow it sweep against a huge number of threats in the UU tier (The opening would be more convincing if you hooked the reader in at the start by immediately covering Stoise's natural bulk. That's a valid niche to have as a Shell Smash mon in the tier as opposed to Polteageist who's almost always preserved for the lategame.)(I don't know if this is valid, it seems like you're reading into this as if you're reading a story, I think it's fine as is since it gets straight to the point of what the mon is) . Hydro Pump is its best STAB move despite its accuracy, as its high base power gives it more chance to KO its opponents (This is fluff.) . Surf is a more accurate alternative, though its base power is lower (This needs to emphasize more on the drawbacks of Surf outside of lower base power. What does Stoise fail to KO/2HKO by not running Pump?)(Agreed, but give examples to make it easier for the writer, OHKOing Gigalith after rocks, 2HKOing Bronzong, and OHKOing Doublade) . Ice Beam is a crucial coverage move, hitting top threats such as Noivern, Roserade, and Haxorus hard. Dark Pulse allows Blastoise to deal with bulky Psychic-types such as Bronzong, Necrozma (Pump has a good chance of OHKOing Necro whereas DP is always a 2HKO)(Correct but still give the writer more on what exactly he should do with this information, the fact of the matter is that pump does more damage to psychics than dpulse. Change this description of dpulse to make it sound like it's moreso used as a midground while playing, hitting things like Araquanid and Goli for neutral coverage and hitting the ghosts/psychics when you don't wanna miss hydro pump), and Reuniclus. Aura Sphere is an option over Dark Pulse to hit Umbreon hard (Except Umbreon takes Aura Sphere fairly well, it deals almost the same amount of damage that Pump would. Instead cover that Aura Sphere is completely accurate for Umbreon) and cleanly KO Heliolisk. White Herb allows Blastoise to tank priority moves bar Choice Band First Impression (Mention Haxorus since that's the mon I'm assuming you are alluding to.) if it has already taken a hit while setting up (While generally allowing Stoise to use its solid bulk to its advantage).

(Mention what threats Blastoise sets up on in the tier.)(Give him examples, I already did above)

Blastoise's main issue lies on its average offensive stats which leaves it struggling against the tier's bulky threats such as Sylveon (Eh not the best example since Pump is a 2HKO. Mention another bulky water ie. Vaporeon instead.), Milotic, and Umbreon (You also sort of contradict yourself in the previous paragraph by stating that Aura Sphere "hits hard" in the previous paragraph then state that Stoise struggles against it.)(Definitely a bit of a nitpick since it's just slightly poor wording, but aside from that I think Sylveon is a fine mention since it requires like 30% to clean if a sylv is alive (which is a dece amount)). Wallbreakers such as Machamp and Darmanitan can weaken or outright remove the aforementioned threats, paving the way for Blastoise to sweep. Grass types such as Roserade and Rotom-C make good partners as they can cover Blastoise's Water- and Grass-type checks. Roserade in particular can also set up Spikes which can aid Blastoise on sweeping. Blastoise in return can check Fire-types for them (I feel that in most scenarios you generally wouldn't want Stoise to hard switch into Fire-types.)(This is true but I think it's okay bc them bringing fire types in still does give stoise setup opportunities in practice, via sack/double/etc). Blastoise can also run a physical variant of this set with Liquidation, Ice Punch, and Earthquake, but the lower base power of its moves leave Blastoise much weaker than the special set (This belongs in the paragraph above.).

(Mention Incineroar as a partner due to its defensive typing and Parting Shot ensuring Blastoise can safely set up Shell Smash.)

(Mention Webs since Stoise highly abuses it due to its poor speed.)
(Don't mention webs, mention screens if anything. Screens very very directly helps stoise get setup opportunities far better than webs does and I think screens as a playstyle is just better, so mention xatu/espeon as partners).

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Blastoise's impressive bulk and good matchup against the tier's hazard setters (Rhyperior and Gigalith) make it a competent hazard remover with Rapid Spin. Rest and Sleep Talk give Blastoise longevity and recovery. Alternatively, Blastoise can run Toxic and Refresh instead to wear down its checks (Toxic wears down what checks? Refresh is also illegal this gen so remove that. Also explain why Toxic compromise its RestTalk recovery. If it's not on the main set, always provide a reason to why it didn't make the cut.). Maximum Defense investment and Leftovers allow it to check hazard setters (It's a bulky Water, surely you can provide offensive mons that it checks.)(Yeah, the hazard setters barely even require much bulk to check, regardless pls give examples for this man oml, Darmanitan is the big one I can think of, other ones could be shit like Doublade) and consistently spin throughout the match

(This paragraph especially needs to be reworked. It's seriously barebones and its points are vague and unconvincing as to why you'd use this set. It's a spinner with a good matchup against the tier's common rockers? I can say the same thing about Tsareena, a spinner that also has a fine matchup against most rockers. Why would I need to use Stoise over Tsareena who provides far more offensive pressure? Alternatively, why would I use Stoise over another bulky Water like Vapo, Milo, or Mantine, who all have more beneficial utility and recovery? You do pinpoint Stoise's bulk but fail to link that to the justification of using Stoise. This is a fairly niche mon, and mons like these often require more concrete evidence to justify why you'd use them over generally superior competition.)(You say all of this but don't say anything to really help him here, it's like you're just telling him to write a better analysis. I do agree this paragraph should be fleshed out and here's what I think he should add to do so:

- Mention how rest talk abuses things like Bronzong that rely on Toxic to make progress, especially since zong is one of the tier's more common rockers
- Mention how it's valuable over it's competition as a bulky water (vapo, milo, etc) almost entirely because of spin
- Mention how this set is a complete and utter momentum sink vs any team with scald resists, especially breakers like roserade

- Talk more about it's defensive capabilities in general, checking darm/incin/doub/fishing for burns vs goli/etc.
- ESPECIALLY talk about it's competition with Rotom-W as that can also remove hazards, mention that spin > defog bc you keep your own hazards and mention how stoise switches into rock moves from gig/rhyp better than washtom does, ALSO mention that it can brush off status w/ rest, but also mention that you don't have access to something like volt switch which is a HUGE + for rotom-w)

This set fits well on balanced and bulky offensive teams that need hazard removal but also want to retain their own hazards throughout the match. Pokemon that are vulnerable to hazards such as Chandelure and Darmanitan appreciate Blastoise's Rapid Spin support while also
having good matchup against Blastoise's checks (What checks specifically, there's a difference between Roserade and Washtom)(I'd honestly just rework this first part of this paragraph into "teams that enjoy hazard control", meaning teams that pivot a lot and will fold to spikes, OR teams with a rock weak mon or two (darm and chandy being fine examples), bc otherwise if you just run boots on the rocks weak mons who really cares about hazard removal these days. Save the "good matchup against blastoise's checks" for later in the paragraph bc that connection is loose af) . Incineroar is another notable teammate for its ability to check spinblockers (The only notable spinblockers are Chandy and Doub and both are not going to want to take a Scald. Stoise outright checks Doub anyway. It's an ok partner, but this isn't why you'd use Incin on your team with this Stoise.)(Not entirely wrong, get rid of the spinblocker part but keep Incineroar as a mention, say incin is a good partner bc it forms a good defensive core between the two as they take pressure off each other's backs checking shit like darm/incin/etc... while if incin gets knocked (which it's prone to), stoise can support it with spin) . Due to Rapid Spin retaining the hazards on the opponent's field, Spikes and Sticky Web users such as Roserade and Ribombee also pair well with Blastoise(Remove Sticky Web mentions I dont see any realistic reason to why you would fit Webs on Balance.)(Yeah definitely get rid of the webs mention, rose is fine but also mention how it appreciates blastoise's utility and ability to come in on things like Darm/Incin if it has to. Another thing you most definitely should mention is Escavalier, Blastoise lets rose in for free w/o any real way to punish so having something that abuses rose entirely is nice).

[CREDITS]

So I had to make far more corrections to this analysis than I originally anticipated. Take this with a grain of salt, but this reads as if you scrambled to complete the analysis on time or there's a lack of metagame knowledge. I highly suggest you implement some of my notes on this analysis before an actual QC member checks this. It is not their job to write the analysis for you, but to rather nitpick and make minor adjustments. Take care. (You're doing too much, relax)
amcheck was fine just remember to give examples pls it takes a lot of work off the writer and qc ppl alike's backs

MegaFlareon QC 1/2 after you're done implementing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)