Pokémon Blastoise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a set that I use and that works great for me.

Move 1: rapid spin
Move 2: scald
Move 3: dragon tail
Move 3: ice beam
Item: Assault vest
Ability: torrent/rain dish
EVs: 252hp/252spdef/4spatk
Nature: sassy

It's extremely bulky on the special side and is a great rapid spinner. Rapid spin is the main reason to use this Blastoise set. Scald is there for an attacking move and with a torrent boost (or rain boost if you decide to use rain dish) it does some kind of damage. Dragon tail is there for shuffling and is another way in which Blastoise can support your team. Ice beam is there for bulky grass types and some more coverage. The EVs are there to make it as specially bulky as possible and it can still take physical hits. The nature improves its special defense even further and I put -speed because I wanted dragon tail to at least do some damage esppecially against latias, latios and goodra.

It is a good answer to aegislash, as your opponent assumes you are physically defensive, and a lot of special attackers.
I really like the idea, i'll try it probably.

though it may be outclassed by other Pokémon offensively, a recovery move would be nice on the defensive sets, also a shell smash with that bulk can give it some potential to kill

Here's a set that I use and that works great for me.

Move 1: rapid spin
Move 2: scald
Move 3: dragon tail
Move 3: ice beam
Item: Assault vest
Ability: torrent/rain dish
EVs: 252hp/252spdef/4spatk
Nature: sassy

It's extremely bulky on the special side and is a great rapid spinner. Rapid spin is the main reason to use this Blastoise set. Scald is there for an attacking move and with a torrent boost (or rain boost if you decide to use rain dish) it does some kind of damage. Dragon tail is there for shuffling and is another way in which Blastoise can support your team. Ice beam is there for bulky grass types and some more coverage. The EVs are there to make it as specially bulky as possible and it can still take physical hits. The nature improves its special defense even further and I put -speed because I wanted dragon tail to at least do some damage esppecially against latias, latios and goodra.

It is a good answer to aegislash, as your opponent assumes you are physically defensive, and a lot of special attackers.
isn't dragon tail a decreased priority move already? there's really no need for that -speed

To be honest, I've had some insane luck with:
Modest
Blastoisinite
252 hp/sp. Atk
Water spout
Focus blast (aura sphere would be nicer)
Ice beam
Aqua ring

I switch in after my talonflame does a tailwind (and if necessary kamikaze style brave bird/ flare blitz)

Anyone tried bulky m-blastoise with aqua ring for pseudo leftovers? I was theorymoning it the other day but came across the problem of what 3 moves actually provide good coverage while still taking advantage of his ability.

Anyone tried bulky m-blastoise with aqua ring for pseudo leftovers? I was theorymoning it the other day but came across the problem of what 3 moves actually provide good coverage while still taking advantage of his ability.
Water Pulse/Dark Pulse/Ice Beam hits everything neutrally other than Azumarill (no getting past this no matter what you do), Keldeo, Poliwrath, Greninja and Crawdaunt.
Water Pulse/Dark Pulse/Aura Sphere hits everything neutrally other than Chesnaught, Whimsicott, Dry Skin Toxicroak and obviously Azumarill.
Water Pulse/Ice Beam/Aura Sphere hits everything neutrally other than Jellicent, Starmie and Azumarill.
Water Pulse/Ice Beam/Dragon Pulse hits everything neutrally other than Empoleon and Azumarill I guess.
Even though the last one technically offers the best coverage, Dragon Pulse + Ice Beam is redundant and you probably won't be getting past most bulky Waters with Dragon Pulse. Dragon Pulse still is the best option you could have against them however and will do more damage than Ice Beam to Dragons that are not 4x weak to Ice. I would probably use the 2nd or 3rd combinations.

Steel no longer resists Dark, so that combination is only resisted by Azu. But as you said, no reason to run DP with Ice Beam.

Anyways, to probationsmack, since you're not using Rapid Spin, you could get by with using Water move/Ice Beam/Aura Sphere. Dark Pulse is for Ghosts, Aura Sphere for Ferrothorn/TTar, and Ice Beam for Dragons. Pick the two that take care of threats your other team members don't already. And don't immediately go to Water Pulse for the Water move. Scald and Hydro Pump have their merits: Scald's burn chance is an excellent perk, and Hydro Pump's power is notable and can be worth the accuracy drop. All three have their uses.
Dragon Pulse

The only reason it is a -speed nature is because it is the least important out of it's stats.
I disagree. Rapid Spin isn't meant for dealing damage and a few extra points of attack won't help it deal damage. Meanwhile at base 79 Speed it happens to be just fast enough to punch holes into common uninvested base 60 and lower pokemon such as Scizor, Tyranitar, and Aegislash without having to take a huge hit first.

This is my current set:
Mega Blastoise
Torrent (Mega Launcher)
236 HP, 252 SpA, 20 Speed
Modest
- Rapid Spin
- Dark Pulse
- Water Pulse
- Dragon Pulse

Water/Dark/Dragon has nifty neutral coverage, only being resisted by Whimsicott and Azumarill, but I sometimes feel the pain of not having Aura Sphere. Do you think it's worth it to replace Dragon Pulse with it? It's kind of a 'choose your counters' moment here, I guess. What does Dragon get that Fighting doesn't besides Goodra?

This is my current set:
Mega Blastoise
Torrent (Mega Launcher)
236 HP, 252 SpA, 20 Speed
Modest
- Rapid Spin
- Dark Pulse
- Water Pulse
- Dragon Pulse

Water/Dark/Dragon has nifty neutral coverage, only being resisted by Whimsicott and Azumarill, but I sometimes feel the pain of not having Aura Sphere. Do you think it's worth it to replace Dragon Pulse with it? It's kind of a 'choose your counters' moment here, I guess. What does Dragon get that Fighting doesn't besides Goodra?
If I were you, I'd run Ice Beam. Not only does it hit Dragon-types, but it also hits Grass-types as well. Sure, it doesn't get a boost from Mega Launcher, but it's still quite strong coming from Mega Blastoise.

Rotosect

Banned deucer.
There are only two OU grass-types (Megasaur and Ferrothorn) and neither of them is weak to ice.
Ice Beam is still helpful against things like Mandibuzz, though.

There are only two OU grass-types (Megasaur and Ferrothorn) and neither of them is weak to ice.
Ice Beam is still helpful against things like Mandibuzz, though.
You forgot Breloom, though I haven't seen them around much lately.

Also Ice Beaming is pretty nice for dealing with Landorus, Garchomp, and all the Flying/Dragons as well as Gliscor.

Is it honestly worth using Blastoise as a Rapid Spinner anymore? Threatening Aegislash straight out of the box was one of its main appeals, and ever since the ban its not only lost that, but Starmie has found itself making a comeback as arguably the best offensive Rapid Spinner. Seems like the moveslot would find itself better off on something else these days.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Is it honestly worth using Blastoise as a Rapid Spinner anymore? Threatening Aegislash straight out of the box was one of its main appeals, and ever since the ban its not only lost that, but Starmie has found itself making a comeback as arguably the best offensive Rapid Spinner. Seems like the moveslot would find itself better off on something else these days.
I could see it being used as a bulky attacker since it gets great coverage, but lack of recovery and speed really hurt it. It could work as a late-game cleaner of sorts with Sticky Web support, but it probably isn't worth it.

I could see it being used as a bulky attacker since it gets great coverage, but lack of recovery and speed really hurt it. It could work as a late-game cleaner of sorts with Sticky Web support, but it probably isn't worth it.
You could always look into Yawn or Roar. It has a nasty tendency to get set up on by the likes of Suicune, Azumarill, and Gyarados. Honestly I don't understand why Blastoise doesn't have a reliable recovery move. Between Charizard getting Roost, and Venasaur getting Synthesis/Leech Seed/Giga Drain you would think it'd have something better than Aqua Ring.

You could always look into Yawn or Roar. It has a nasty tendency to get set up on by the likes of Suicune, Azumarill, and Gyarados. Honestly I don't understand why Blastoise doesn't have a reliable recovery move. Between Charizard getting Roost, and Venasaur getting Synthesis/Leech Seed/Giga Drain you would think it'd have something better than Aqua Ring.
Trollfreak.

You forgot Breloom, though I haven't seen them around much lately.

Also Ice Beaming is pretty nice for dealing with Landorus, Garchomp, and all the Flying/Dragons as well as Gliscor.
Problem is with breloom is that TechniLooms almost always carry a sash, and also carry Bullet seed. If I'm correct, it takes at least 3 hits to KO M-Blastoise. Even if you live and shoot with an Ice Beam, its down to sash, then it justs bullet seeds again, since it obviously outspeeds, Leaving you with a dead turtle and opponents near dead mushroom.

Problem is with breloom is that TechniLooms almost always carry a sash, and also carry Bullet seed. If I'm correct, it takes at least 3 hits to KO M-Blastoise. Even if you live and shoot with an Ice Beam, its down to sash, then it justs bullet seeds again, since it obviously outspeeds, Leaving you with a dead turtle and opponents near dead mushroom.
Loom can also just spore you, and depending on the set either boost or wteck a switch in.

Blastoise actually has 78 base speed, so with a positive nature and 108 EVs you can outspeed adamant Breloom and Bisharp. Of course, I dunno if its worth it in the case of breloom because sash is so common, but its something to consider. Somewhat-speedy toise is becoming more popular in UU at least.

Blastoise actually has 78 base speed, so with a positive nature and 108 EVs you can outspeed adamant Breloom and Bisharp. Of course, I dunno if its worth it in the case of breloom because sash is so common, but its something to consider. Somewhat-speedy toise is becoming more popular in UU at least.
Ah, ok. I didn't know it outsped.
But then again, that spore from breloom.
Dang, sometimes the mushroom eats this turtle. Which doesn't make sense.

Absolutely no idea if this thread is still relevant or should be shut down (wouldn't mind starting a new one myself); but I'm considering running Modest with 192 HP/252 SpA/64 Spd as opposed to 236 HP/252 SpA/20 Spe. It's HP only goes down by 11 -- actually conveniently getting to the odd 347 -- and in return it speed creeps 68 Spd neutral Heatran as well as this lot

206 / Cresselia, Suicune / 85 / Neutral / 0 / 0
200 / Altaria, Mega Altaria, Goodra, Mandibuzz, Venusaur, Mega Venusaur / 80 / Neutral / 16 / 0
199 / Azumarill / 50 / Neutral / 252 / 0
199 / Victini / 100 / Neutral / 252 / -1
198 / Gyrarados, Mega Gyarados / 81 / Neutral / 0 / 0
197 / Skarmory, Politoed / 70 / Neutral / 84 / 0 (not sure if this is a relevant benchmark)
197 / Blastoise, Mega Blastoise / 78 / Neutral / 20 / 0

Y/N?

I would consider going a little higher to outpace 4 Speed Rotom W. Aura Sphere / Dark Pulse 2HKO and Rotom W won't hesitate to switch in so you might as well run a bit more speed.

I would consider going a little higher to outpace 4 Speed Rotom W. Aura Sphere / Dark Pulse 2HKO and Rotom W won't hesitate to switch in so you might as well run a bit more speed.
I did consider that; but most Rotom run 44 speed to beat Azu; landing them at 219 Speed. To get to 220 speed to beat this you need to run 112 Speed EVs on Toise which in my opinion sacrifices too much bulk to the point I'd rather run something different to beat it; like Celebi. I suppose it's an option and a nice lure but I don't like the massive decrease in HP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)