Metagame Bonus Type

also can we just take a bit to talk about how broken fighting-type zeraora is

252 Atk Life Orb Zeraora Plasma Fists vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 205-244 (67.4 - 80.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Life Orb Zeraora Plasma Fists vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Slowking: 460-541 (116.7 - 137.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

also 2 shots flying heatran with CC if heatran has max hp+max phys defense

252 Atk Life Orb Zeraora Plasma Fists vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 205-244 (67.4 - 80.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Life Orb Zeraora Plasma Fists vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Slowking: 460-541 (116.7 - 137.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

why use CC against flying Heatran if Plasma Fists is super effective?

Honestly super funny that zeraora can ironically be walled by pelliper in this OM.

in the hills

spreading confusion
is a Top Artistis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Quickban Slate #3: Kartana
:ss/kartana:
First off, I'd like to announce that Chazm has joined the Bonus Type council! We're happy to have him along with us.

Anyways, onto the main point of this post. The council has decided to quickban Kartana from Bonus Type! While Kartana is a lot easier to kill due to its low bulk, shares a lot of the issues that Urshifu had, and was arguably more threatening due to its higher Speed tier. Choice Band sets were brutal to face if your check was weakened and necessitated awkward defensive checks like Electric-type Buzzwole, which is exploitable with Future Sight. Choice Scarf sets were also available and while they weren't as potent as Choice Band sets, they could outpace typical offensive counterplay and could snowball with Beast Boost.
Tagging Kris to implement Kartana's ban

What's Next?
:ss/kyurem:
The council has also been discussing Kyurem lately, which has been brought up in the thread and in conversations throughout the month for its limited defensive counterplay. While we feel that it does largely lack defensive counterplay due to its great coverage and power, we held off on banning it at the moment due to how easy it is to offensively pressure at the moment. We've decided to give it another week before deciding for sure and wanted to open up community opinion on it.

Additionally, now that we have a council formed, we're beginning to start working on some resources such as Sample Teams and hopefully a Viability Ranking before the month ends. We'll keep you updated with any news, thanks!

shnowshner

You've Gotta Try
is a Pre-Contributor
Hey with the Kart quickban and VR on the way up I would like to share thoughts on a few mons, its been a while since I played extensively due to work but I doubt much has changed for some of these.

:kyurem:
For me at least there is no greater constraint on teambuilding than Kyurem. While it lacks an outstanding Speed Tier its certainly fast enough to beat practically any mons that don't spec into Speed, even with little investment, and a massive HP stat of 125 backed by solid 90s in both defense stats means you need to hit it quite hard to snag a KO, especially for bulkier variants.

Kyurem isn't much different in performance compared to normal OU: it has minimal switch-ins there and those that can stand up to it, like Blissey, may struggle with certain sets, especially as Kyurem has Pressure + Roost which makes it great at outlasting. Not much about this changes in Bonus Type, it still is really hard to prepare for defensively and certain answers can struggle versus different sets, though there are definitly more options.

The biggest difference is that you can add Ground/Steel to remove your SR weakness and become immensely easier to bring in throughout a game, which does a lot in fixing Kyurem's weakness to passive damage, and as it turns out those typings also grant it valuable immunities to both damage and status. The end result is that Kyurem is significantly harder to wear down while not exactly being easier to wall out.

IMO you practically need two Pokemon on your team that can answer Kyurem in some fashion, and for more balanced builds if one of them can't slow pivot out then you are going to really struggle against it and its team.

:ferrothorn:
This alone necessitates Fire coverage on your team somewhere, either from a Fire type or a strong coverage attacker, ideally one that actually switches-in without getting too crippled by Leech Seed/Knock Off/Body Press/Status. Without that Ferro is an absolute pain to deal with. It's not only super tough to break through and can hazard stack quite easily, but it also had capability to hit quite hard with Press or some of its high-power attacks like Power Whip or Gyro Ball.

Fairy is pretty much the only type I see it run but you don't need anything else. As a mixed wall it's really flexible at halting the progress of all sorts of Pokemon while making plenty of its own. Ofc it has its fair share of issues. Outside of Fire moves, its biggest weaknesses are the derpy Ferro mirrors, not being able to run everything it wants, and its reliance on less reliable forms of recovery if it doesn't want to be worn down by chip all game.

As it stands however it's one of the most solid common Pokemon from my experience, and with Kartana's ban I only see it getting better and more diverse in set variety.

:noivern:
I don't have much to say about it other than it's decent speed control and a nice offensive Kyurem check, can't switch in but its really good at forcing out or KOing any Dragon-weak Kyurem forms thanks to Infiltrator letting it bypass Substitute. You also have the standard Normal Boomburst combo people love using and yeah its still good, Steels, Ghosts, Blissey can be an issue but you have tools against them, and if your opponent lacks a sturdier Normal resist they're in an awful position. Haven't used/seen it much but its got potential.

:slowking:
Big surprise, RegenPort is still fantastic and any means you can find to give Slowking a stronger defensive typing goes a long way in letting it come in and get out for a teammate. With Steel everywhere I don't think Future Sight is as good as it were, but you have a pretty large movepool so its not hard to give it something to do. Pair with a second Regen user and you gain serious longevity and greatly eased switches.

I've won quite a few games sending in Fairy Slowking on a Dragon move, actually it's insane how easily you can stack Fairy-type defensive cores and get away with it. I think with Kartana banned it might be time for Slowbro to start rising up but either way both are perfectly useable and provide so much to a lot of team styles.

:rotom-wash: or other rotom but mostly wash
This is quickly becoming a massive headache, like seriously the amount of viable everything this can run is rediculous. I was beginning to see it more and more as time progressed and each time it was a chore to play around. If you're yet to have made a team around this I strongly recommend it, seems like a great sleeper pick if it hasn't already become meta in the time I've not been playing.

in the hills

spreading confusion
is a Top Artistis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Viability Rankings
S Rank

S

Heatran (Flying, Grass)
Toxapex (Dark, Ground, Dragon, Grass)

A Rank

A+

Clefable (Electric, Dark, Fire, Poison, Steel)
Corviknight (Dragon, Ground, Fairy)
Kyurem (Ground, Fighting)
Landorus-Therian (Rock, Fighting, Poison, Steel)
Slowking (Ground, Fairy, Normal)
Urshifu-Rapid-Strike (Electric, Poison, Bug)
Zeraora (Flying, Fighting, Fairy, Dark)

A

Garchomp (Fire, Fairy, Water, Steel, Poison)
Hydreigon (Steel, Ground)
Tornadus-Therian (Dark, Fighting, Poison, Steel)
Volcarona (Psychic, Grass)
Weavile (Fighting, Poison)

A-

Blissey (Ghost, Fairy)
Buzzwole (Poison, Water, Dragon, Electric)
Ferrothorn (Fairy, Fighting, Ghost)
Slowbro (Fighting, Ground)
Slowking-Galar (Water, Dark)
Tapu Fini (Dragon, Ground, Dark)
Tapu Lele (Fighting, Electric)
Zapdos (Steel, Water)

B Rank

B+

Arcanine (Normal)
Hippowdon (Rock)
Latias (Water, Electric, Steel)
Latios (Water, Electric)
Magnezone (Flying, Ghost)
Mandibuzz (Poison)
Melmetal (Ground, Ghost, Fairy)
Rillaboom (Fighting, Dark, Ground)
Scizor (Water, Dragon)
Skarmory (Dragon)
Tangrowth (Fighting, Poison, Dark)
Tapu Koko (Grass)
Victini (Electric)

B

Bisharp (Ghost, Fighting)
Entei (Normal)
Excadrill (Flying, Ghost)
:mew:Mew (Electric, Steel)
Rotom-Wash (Steel, Fairy)
Tapu Bulu (Rock, Steel, Fighting)
Thundurus-Therian (Steel, Poison, Fighting)
Tyranitar (Ghost)
:zygarde-10%:Zygarde-10% (Normal)

B-

Aegislash (Fighting)
Barraskewda (Fighting, Psychic)
Drednaw (Ground)
Gastrodon (Steel, Poison)
Hawlucha (Rock, Electric)
Heracross (Fighting)
Kommo-o (Steel, Ghost)
Mamoswine (Dark)
Nidoking (Ice, Fire)
Pelipper (Ground, Steel)
Reuniclus (Steel, Fighting)

C Rank

C

Amoonguss (Dark)
Azumarill (Dark, Ground)
:chansey:Chansey (Ghost, Ghost)
Conkeldurr (Normal, Dark)
Crawdaunt (Fighting)
Dracozolt (Ground, Fighting)
:jirachi:Jirachi (Fairy)
Moltres (Steel)
Porygon2 (Ghost)
Rotom-Heat (Fairy)
Rhyperior (Ghost, Water)
Togekiss (Fighting, Steel)
Weezing-Galar (Electric, Steel)
Sample Teams

Weavile Offense by in the hills

Bird Spam Balance by 23Gz

Volcarona Offense by in the hills

Xatu Stall by 23Gz

Latias Bulky Offense by in the hills
As promised, we've added our Viability Rankings and some preliminary Sample Teams! Enjoy!

I have many things to say about everything you said. firstly I agree that the only good counter of kartana is mandibuzz poison and therefore a ban is possible for the pokemon because of its speed and power.
secondly, I find that kyurem is totally wall by blissey which is very played, as much in hyper offense as in stall as well as other pokemon and therefore I don't think its ban is necessary.
thirdly, how do you become a member of the council.
fourthly, i don't agree with the viability ranking because i think that defensive pokemon are supposed to counter some pokemon and not to become neutral to all of them.
lastly, why isn't latias steel in the A+ category at least, it's one of the best sweeper in the game imo.

secondly, I find that kyurem is totally wall by blissey which is very played, as much in hyper offense as in stall as well as other pokemon and therefore I don't think its ban is necessary.
I'm not 100% convinced it's banworthy but - Blissey isn't a good answer alone, SubRoost Kyurem sits on it forever stacking up metronome boosts and PP stalling it. Needs to be paired with something that can be teleported in on Kyurem behind Sub like Melmetal or CM Clef.

Viable hard answers to it are pretty much limited to Steel CM Latias (60 spdef lets you beat specs, but if you only care about subroost run def instead) and Blissey/(G)Slowking + SubRoost check. Anything else, like SpDef Corv/Ferro, Clefable, or Rotom-H, is a check at best.

As for VR, I think it's quite accurate for the most part, but there are a few oddities I saw:

- Er, what does Ghost Tyranitar even do? It loses its ability to check both Weavile and Ghost-types in exchange for... what, still losing to Fighting Types because they all carry coverage against it? Maybe I'm missing something but Fairy seems better in a vast majority of cases.

- As Anpawo pointed out Latias is pretty out of place in B+, I can't agree that it's A/A+ alongside excellent wincons like Clefable, Zeraora and Hydreigon, but A- seems fairly fitting for it as its combination of speed and bulk is something none of those mons can match - notably, Latias isn't threatened out by Garchomp like those 3 often are.

- Rotom-W in B??? This thing checks and/or pivots on a ton of top threats like Heatran, Garchomp, Hydreigon and Moistshifu, and it's an excellent bulky pivot as very few grounds can block its Volt Switch effectively. Nasty Plot is also effective as many of the common Water resists want nothing to do with a boosted Volt Switch/Thunderbolt. I see this as an easy A/A+ but I'd settle for A- for now.

- Isn't Cinderace legal? I fail to see how it's unranked, it's not nearly as oppressive as in standard play as Garchomp, Landorus-T, Toxapex and Slowbro are all even better equipped to take it on, but it's still a solid, versatile breaker that pivots on its checks constantly to wear them down, or just 1v1s them with Bulk Up. It quite appreciates the rise of Steel- and Fairy- types as its STAB Pyro Ball and Gunk Shot absolutely tear through them. It even gets extra freedom with its item slot as it can run a typing neutral to Stealth Rock; notably this enables it to run choice items, dealing nuclear damage with high-power Choice Band STABs (even rolling for a 2HKO on Slowbro) or revenge killing even boosted threats like Volcarona and Scale Shot Garchomp with a scarf. I'm not sure what rank this would be exactly as I haven't really seen or used it much, but I think it can safely start at B+ alongside fellow Fire-type breaker Victini.

arn.av136

would've, could've, should've
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Not needing a Bonus Type does not mean that a Pokemon should be unranked. That's stupid logic on your part. Bonus types such as Steel/Fighting/Others make it neutral to Rocks, thus eliminating the need for HDB and letting you run a boosting item such as Band/Scarf. Other types are beneficial to be able to switch into some select Pokemon/gain specific immunities.

Cinderace does not take advantage of the bonus types, you always prefer it with h-d-b and with libero he doesnt need them.
Well for one, it does take advantage of them; I mentioned it's more free to run other items but it's ALSO far easier to switch in due to status immunities and new resistances/immunities: Ground can switch in on threats like Tapu Koko and Magnezone, Steel gets opportunities against Blissey and Corviknight, and Poison has little issue with Clefable.

Bonus types aren't black-and-white in that they either help you wall something or help you break something. Sometimes you just want the utility they provide in getting in or providing status immunities, sometimes you want them to reduce chip from weak attacks and hazards, etc. You're right, it doesn't help Cinderace break and in fact the gimmick makes it harder for ace to break with more answers being available and common, but Cinderace having a bonus type itself is still very useful.

On another note, I was playing around with this team a bit on ladder last night to get some more hands-on experience with ace since, as I mentioned, admittedly I haven't seen it much at all. I found that it makes a very nice pairing with Normal Noivern; Cinderace smashes through the specially-invested Steel types and Blissey/Slowking for Noivern, while Noivern takes advantage of Cinderace's checks all being physically defensive and neutral to Normal (except like, Rock Landorus-T). Adding Weavile to the core allows you to take on fat ghosts that eat hits from both, like Porygon2. Fairy Blissey, Fighting Slowbro and Water Landorus-T make a very nice defensive pivot core that takes on a majority of the meta while providing both rocks and defog, making your other 3 slots super free to go unga-bunga with all offense and no defensive utility, something this team takes great advantage of.

Boomburst is a pretty big issue for the team; Modest Toxtricity 2HKO's Blissey and Noivern can cripple it with Switcheroo (and outspeeds everything but Weavile and your own Noivern) so you really just have to keep up momentum and deny them the opportunity to come in. Rotom-Wash is also annoying but if it's Steel you beat it with Cinderace and if it's Fairy you also dunk it with Weavile. It also can't really switch in on Noivern long-term anyway. Tapu Lele is probably the biggest threat for the team on paper but honestly Toxtricity is harder, since not only does Tapu Lele have the same problem as being outsped by every offensive mon on the team, but depending on what it locks into it either can't touch Weavile or can't touch Cinderace which makes it very easy to take advantage of.

Other options for the team would include alternate Cinderace typings (Ghost could be really nice to take advantage of Boomburst users), SD boots Weavile to both improve its longevity in checking Ghosts under hazards and to make it a super scary late game cleaner (in this case it could have a Ghost bonus type for more setup opportunities), and alternate Landorus-T typings to take on different threats better - I chose Water to beat Victini, but Steel has its advantages as a bulky Psychic/Fairy resist to stave off Tapu Lele. You could also make your main offensive core Weavile + Noivern and let Cinderace be a cleaner; at that point you'd probably want Fighting Weavile to hit things like Heatran and Ferrothorn harder and without dying to your own Triple Axel, respectively. Finally, Noivern has the option of running Flamethrower or Hurricane, but it struggles to find room for either since Draco Meteor is mandatory for the Kyurem matchup and U-turn provides a ton of momentum for the team.

Not needing a Bonus Type does not mean that a Pokemon should be unranked. That's stupid logic on your part. Bonus types such as Steel/Fighting/Others make it neutral to Rocks, thus eliminating the need for HDB and letting you run a boosting item such as Band/Scarf. Other types are beneficial to be able to switch into some select Pokemon/gain specific immunities.
If a pkm sucks there is no point in ranking it. Thats what i meant.

Steel (Rotom-Heat) @ Leftovers

Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Foul Play

10 resists, 1 immunity, and only 2 weaknesses. I think it's kind of neat for utility. Pretty much covers what Slowbro can't wall.

Ground (Slowbro) @ Rocky Helmet

Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Teleport
- Future Sight
- Scald
- Yawn

Bog standard Slowbro with electric immunity.

Steel (Mantine) @ Leftovers

Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Scald
- Roost
- Toxic

Flying/Steel dual typing is always good, so add water into that and it's even nicer, coming in with 10 resists, plus Mantine's water immunity. A specially defensive Skarm, essentially.

Fighting (Lycanroc-Dusk) @ Choice Band

Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Accelerock
- Psychic Fangs
- Iron Head

Pretty much used to overwhelm with tough claws CC, which does 234 base after STAB. Easily threatens Weavile.

Dark (Slowking-Galar) @ Assault Vest

EVs: 252 HP / 60 SpA / 196 SpD
Calm Nature
- Future Sight
- Sludge Wave
- Scald
- Foul Play

Dark Galarking's Foul Play actually hits really hard. Coupled with regenvest, it's surprisingly annoying.

Fire (Tornadus-Therian) (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots

EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- U-turn
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave

I like using Tornadus-T as my taunt anti-lead, as well as STAB coverage and momentum.

Byleth

Retirement
Hey y'all! It's been a while but with the near conclusion of the Other Metas Spotlight League, the council has determined to update the VR to represent the more current meta.

Viability Rankings
S Rank

S

Heatran (Flying, Grass)
Landorus-Therian (Rock, Fighting, Poison, Steel, Water, Dark)
Toxapex (Dark, Ground, Dragon, Grass)

S-

Clefable (Electric, Dark, Fire, Poison, Steel, Dragon)

A Rank

A+

Corviknight (Dragon, Ground, Fairy)
Hydreigon (Steel, Ground)
Kyurem (Ground, Fighting)
Latias (Water, Electric, Steel)
Tornadus-Therian (Dark, Fighting, Poison, Steel)
Urshifu-Rapid-Strike (Electric, Poison, Bug)
Zeraora (Flying, Fighting, Fairy, Dark)

A

Ferrothorn (Fairy, Fighting, Ghost)
Garchomp (Fire, Fairy, Water, Steel, Poison)
Latios (Water, Electric)
Slowking (Ground, Fairy, Normal)
Thundurus-Therian (Steel, Poison, Fighting)
Volcarona (Psychic, Grass)
Weavile (Fighting, Poison)

A-

Blissey (Ghost, Fairy)
Buzzwole (Poison, Water, Dragon, Electric)
Melmetal (Ground, Ghost, Fairy, Flying)
Rotom-Heat (Fairy, Steel)
Slowking-Galar (Water, Dark)
Tangrowth (Fighting, Poison, Dark)
Tapu Fini (Dragon, Ground, Dark)
Tapu Lele (Fighting, Electric)
Thundurus (Steel, Poison, Fighting)
Victini (Electric)
Zapdos (Steel, Water)

B Rank

B+

Entei (Normal)
Hawlucha (Rock, Electric, Poison)
Magnezone (Flying, Ghost)
Mandibuzz (Poison)
Rillaboom (Fighting, Dark, Ground)
Rotom-Wash (Steel, Fairy)
Scizor (Water, Dragon, Fairy)
Skarmory (Dragon)
Slowbro (Fighting, Ground)
Tapu Koko (Grass)

B

Arcanine (Normal)
Bisharp (Ghost, Fighting)
Excadrill (Flying, Ghost)
Hippowdon (Rock)
:mew:Mew (Electric, Steel)
Tapu Bulu (Rock, Steel, Fighting)
Tyranitar (Ghost)
:zygarde-10%:Zygarde-10% (Normal)

B-

Aegislash (Fighting)
Barraskewda (Fighting, Psychic)
Dracozolt (Ground, Fighting)
Drednaw (Ground)
Gastrodon (Steel, Poison)
Heracross (Normal)
Kommo-o (Steel, Ghost)
Mamoswine (Dark)
Nidoking (Ice, Fire)
Pelipper (Ground, Steel)
Reuniclus (Steel, Fighting)

C Rank

C

Amoonguss (Dark)
Azumarill (Dark, Ground)
Blacephalon (Psychic, Normal)
:chansey:Chansey (Ghost, Fairy)
Conkeldurr (Normal, Dark)
Crawdaunt (Fighting)
:jirachi:Jirachi (Fairy)
Alola Form
Marowak-Alola (Ground)
Moltres (Steel)
Porygon2 (Ghost)
Rhyperior (Ghost, Water)
Salamence (Steel)
Togekiss (Fighting, Steel)
Volcanion (Ground, Fighting, Poison)
Weezing-Galar (Electric, Steel)
Galarian Form
Zapdos-Galar (Ground)

Some things you might be wondering about:

Rises
:Hydreigon: :Latias: :thundurus-therian:
It's clear that adding Steel to many of these set up wincons makes them much more dangerous, due to their newfound toxic immunity and ability to set up on a much greater variety of threats while potentially making them harder to revenge. These often require specific checks like Electric Victini and Dark Toxapex to be slapped on a team to be able to comfortably deal with them. Given their potential at the moment, many of these wincons have been bumped up in the VR to reflect this.

:Rotom-Wash: :Rotom-Heat:
The amount of compression provided by these two are pretty real, with good pivoting options and optimal typings that allow them to take on a variety of top threats right now. The problem of them being somewhat short term checks still exists though with a lack of reliable recovery which prevents them from being ranked any higher, but for what they bring over a lot of the lower tiers warrants them a rise.

:Clefable:
Clefable has solidified itself as a top wincon, cleric, and wall and is able to thrive on virtually all balance and some BO structures. As one of the most splashable mons alongside the other S tiers, while it can still struggle to pull its weight vs the super common Heatran and rising offensive Steels like Hydreigon and Melmetal, it's ability to easily patch holes in a structure still warrant it above the A+ rank.

:Landorus-Therian:
Very versatile, Landorus-Therian threatens to run quite a lot in this meta ranging from SD Rock sets, scarf Fighting/Steel/Dark sets, spdef Water/Poison sets and more. The roles it can fill on your team are probably the most of any mon in the meta, which solidifies it as an S rank mon along with Toxapex and Heatran.

And that's it for now! (actually, some sample updates should be soon) Huge shoutout to in the hills for hosting OMSL and allowing Bonus Type to be one of the formats for it!

hayedenn

forgotten me already?
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Hey all, just wanted to drop two teams I used for Bonus Type this past OMSL. I'm not too proud of these teams but I always feel it's good to share the teams you use in a tournament like this that focuses on smaller metas :)
click on sprites for paste

Week 3 vs Akashi
:ss/uxie: :ss/marowak-alola: :ss/conkeldurr: :ss/porygon2: :ss/cresselia: :ss/melmetal:
I was on a big Trick Room building spree this week as I think it's a really fun, anti-meta archetype that feasts on the types of offense that are often brought in OMs. I used a pretty similar structure to what I fed lph in Sketchmons that week. I should be completely clear that this structure is not my idea, I stole it from a Finchinator paste in the OU Teambuilding Bazaar thread, but it's regardless very effective across any OM I've tried it in. My goal with this team porting it over to Bonus Type was to shore up any defensive weaknesses the team had beforehand and to make its breakers even more potent. Fairy Uxie & P2 were used as I found it to be very helpful in making them less weak to Knock, while Cress was made a Steel-type to better switch in on opposing Steel attacks. Marowak was originally Dark, giving it a very powerful STAB Knock Off but I found it wasn't THAT big of a help, so I went with Ground. Normal Conk is an absolute menace to any build that isn't super fat, and Electric Melmetal was added because I found myself really struggling with opposing fat waters.

Unfortunately, I loaded into possibly the worst matchup possible and got bodied by stall. Not much I could do about it, and unfortunately my risk this week didn't really pay off.

Week 4 vs Links
:ss/crawdaunt: :ss/garchomp: :ss/bisharp: :ss/volcarona: :ss/hawlucha: :ss/rillaboom:
I'll be completely real, I was not up for building BT this week LMAO. I was mega busy this week and didn't really want to build something new or use one of the teams BJ had passed me, so I snatched up this old OU HO team that I think was also built by Finch lol and turned it into a BT team. The team is standard HO with Hawlucha, so I'm not going to explain it much. The idea behind Poison Hawlucha came through my tests with 23gz, as I was getting mega frustrated dealing with Clefable, so I made it Poison Hawlucha with STAB PJab.

This Hawlucha set came in handy in my game with Links as I was able to dodge the Toxic on Tyranitar and sweep their team with Lucha. I really didn't play this well, definitely not well enough to win, but sometimes u gotta take the W and feel blessed about your matchup.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading. Unfortunately I didn't make any super-optimal hella consistent teams this tour but I'm largely happy with the finished product, and if at least one person enjoys one of the teams I'm happy. I also just want to shoutout Dr. Phd. BJ and 23Gz for being around to help me test, it was a big help and I'm very appreciative of it :)

Byleth

Retirement
And when there's one team dump, there's another. With the shifus winning, I'm going to be dropping all my cool teams from OMSL.
(I didn't exactly prep thaaaat much since I had little to go off of what people played and was in TPP and NDPL, so a bit of these I built because I thought they worked well).

Week 1: vs StaZix
:Hydreigon: :Clefable: :Ferrothorn: :Slowbro: :Landorus-Therian: :Latias:
Team features one of my favorite breakers in this OM, Steel Plot Hydreigon. The idea with this team was just to set up spikes and get the ball rollin' with the two Steel setup sweepers, with Elec Clef, Fairy Ferro, Dragon Slowbro, and Rock Lando to compliment the defensive core. Team notably struggles vs Dark Toxapex, although Clef can try to sit on it or trick its barb to it if they ever stay in fsr.

Week 2: vs Omicorio
:Cinderace: :Kyurem: :Rotom-Wash: :Blissey: :Landorus-Therian: :Scizor:
Team was supported by Chazm and I felt the duo of Cinderace and Ground Kyurem broke through a lot of his defensive cores, so I went with it. Fairy Rotom-W stops most SD Chompers in the format cold, so it was an obvious pick and then the rest fills with Ghost Blissey, Water Lando-T, and Fairy Sciz. The Scizor was added in to check non Mystical Fire Latias since I dropped TWave on Bliss for Tox to handle Volc better (hm, now sub Ghost Volc sounds fun that I think about it).

Week 3: vs Bea 5
:Pelipper: :Barraskewda: :Tornadus-Therian: :Kingdra: :Ferrothorn: :Crawdaunt:
I can't remember when, but I saw a less optimal rain team in the tour and I wanted to try my hand at it to see if I could fix it. In short, rain is really awkward and being able to add things like Dragon or Fairy to stuff like Slowbro or Ferrothorn make it largely inconsistent. But here it is anyway, we have a SD Crawdaunt as the rain breaker, Skewda and Kingdra to generate offensive pressure, and Ground Peli + Dark Torn + Fairy Ferrothorn to form the rest. As for how the game went this week, it loaded into sun and you can guess from there.

Week 4: vs Jeran
:Thundurus-Therian: :Heatran: :Latias: :Clefable: :Landorus-Therian: :Ferrothorn:
This is prob the toughest opp I was going to face in this tour, so I did a bit of scouting and saw that the teams were relatively weak to Thundy-T (to the point where it just 6-0s). Will give credit to where it's due though, I didn't realize how good of a mon this could be until Chazm brought it to light and Steel just helps it out so much. Anyways, we can't just have one Steel so now there's four of them, because Steels seemed really good for this week. I wanted to put as much pressure on Dark Toxapex as possible, so the Clef here is 3ATK Modest to instantly put pressure on Toxapex over Calm Mind and to lure other Steels like Ghost Ferro, Heatran was made fully offensive and Power Herb + Grass kinda lets it replicate Z move Heatran from last gen which is really cool. This team didn't get much showcase due to Thundy-T just winning as expected but it's here if you guys wanna try it I guess.

Week 5: vs Kennedy
:Latias: :Clefable: :Toxapex: :Corviknight: :Landorus-Therian: :Weavile:
Mid week opponent changed to Kennedy, who doesn't really play mons (but played fairly well in the game we played) so I wanted to bring something comfortable. This team is kinda based on one that I use for National Dex, with Calm Mind Lati as a wincon and Band Weavile as a breaker to support it. Added Rock Lando and CM Clef to make the balance less passive, w Fairy Corv to handle stuff like Rilla which could be a huge issue to this team. Ground Toxapex walls Victini with no Psychic stab, but I originally had it for Fighting/Fire Zolt with no Earthquake (a lot more long term than Lando) since I was playing a team that could have likely passed it to them. I think the team is overall okay, it worked for what it was supposed to.

Finals Week: vs Jeran
:Victini: :Rotom-Wash: :Reuniclus: :Corviknight: :Heatran: :Weavile:
Even though I didn't win the second time around (should have brought Thundy-T again, because it also just won against the team he brought but I thought that would register) I am still somewhat fine with this team. Electric Tox Tini with Boots is an extremely good pivot, cause it checks the dangerous Steel setup while absolutely luring in Grounds to eat a Toxic, and Waters that can usually dance around non Band Bolt Strike will virtually eat Band Bolt Strike(stab). Which was complimented with Wash Tom being able to sit on a good amount of physical grounds, notably Chomp. What I didn't take into account was defensive Chomp, and since the Corviknight on this team was Bulk Up, the game was pretty much a lost cause, probably should have aimed to get rid of Kyurem before it ruined my team though. Team also features Electric Reuniclus, which is a good pick because any other Reuni loses to Dark Toxapex and I wanted to have it covered (again).

Replays linked above the teams so you can see how these teams function, plenty of the games I'm proud of and the BT teams from other teams all looked fun.

Shoutouts to beauts, TTTech, Dr. Phd. BJ, in the hills, Chazm, for the test games (yes I included you guys even if I only tested with you once for this tour it means a lot regardless), and even further shoutouts to The Number Man and Ainzcrad for helping me bounce ideas around, it was fun coming up with the finishing touches for teams for the past few weeks :)
and to trophy wife Lasen for being an awesome supporter and the rest of the shifus ofc

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)