Braces

Hi it turns out not being able to chew means you have to get braces, Im gonna have them for around three years. Post as many personal experiences as you can so I can decide whether to get braces or to just let my teeth deteriorate by the time I'm 35.

internet

no longer getting paid to moderate
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I was told I should get braces or my teeth'd be ugly and I said fuck that id rather be ugly, but apparently it wasnt a dental health thing for me so it doesnt really apply. good luck either way

Holiday

on my best behavior
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Only had top row braces, but they aren't that bad. Take some getting used to, 100% worth it

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
had braces for all of middle school, got them off and I have to wear a retainer every night. In spite of all of this some of my teeth still have the gall to move back to where they originally were, so I may need them again soon.

Edit: I've only forgotten to wear my retainer once

Last edited:

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Dude, getting braces is the best thing I ever did. Short term they're a pain in the ass. But 10 years later, and aside from some slight reshifting of my bottom teeth, my teeth are still pretty damn straight. And straight teeth can change the entire way your face looks. Trust me on this, get them now - future you will be incredibly grateful.

RODAN

Banned deucer.
yeah i just got my braces off and it was 100% worth the time. its a little annoying not being able to eat dried fruit or chew gum but you quickly get over that

ant

⭐️⭐️⭐️
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
i had terribly crooked teeth. i avoided it as a teenager. i got them when i was 21 and i honestly don't know why i avoided it for so long. 2 years in and i still have them! but im getting them removed pretty soon. honestly the worst part you'll feel is when you get them adjusted and you feel pressure on your teeth, but youre all set with painkillers and it goes away after 2 days. i have a great smile these days and my jaw doesnt hurt anymore when i wake up due to my overbite. it gets annoying when the wire hits the back of your mouth and hurts it but the skin gets used to it after a week. honestly it's a great decision and it's worth the effort

my teeth are pretty crooked and my parents never got braces for me when I was in middle/high school I have more than enough money saved up now and was planning on getting them sometime this year but have to get 3 wisdom teeth removed beforehand so that's gonna be fun. thanks to this thread for reassuring me that it's gonna be worth it :)

Tera Melos

Banned deucer.
I was supposed to have braces but my mom didn't want to pay for them.

I didn't find this out until I was like 22.

Tenebricite

Leader of the Pawniards
is a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
It takes getting used to and the first few days are full of pain. It is worth it, as straight teeth are things that not everyone could enjoy before the invention of braces/headgear. Obviously, straight teeth also make you slightly more appealing professionally and in other ways.

Pilo

uses walther
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
braces suck but they're one of life's necessary evils. they can be somewhat high maintenance at first but you'll get used to them quickly and after month or so you'll barely even realize they're there. Not too severe a trade off for good teeth.

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Had em for 3 years ages 12-15, they are worth it but make sure to do your research because a good orthdontist will make your experience a lot better. Mines was shit and my brackets would constantly break even when I wasnt trying my luck with hard food. One time i bit down to test my bite as soon as I left the office and them shits broke. Broken brackets can really drive up the price and delay your progression, all while your orthodontist gets to victim blame you for being a little shit and sucks more money out your pocket.

If you have irl friends who have had braces, talk to them first so you wont get locked into a shitty dude for 2-3 years of your life

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Aldertz has the most honest post itt yet, those things fucking SUCK for a few days. Braces basically grab your bone and forcefully move it so your body does not like that. But after a few days you forget about them.

Straightening teeth is pretty good, but I wouldn't be concerned about correcting over/underbites that much. My orthodontist signed me up for braces twice and tried to get a third round before my family stopped because my jaw shifted back after a year. I'm just one data point tho.

Brush twice a day, keeps so many problems from happening.

SHIT FORMATTING

I currently have them and I eat a shit ton of hard food and they aren’t broken. As the above posts have said make sure you find a good guy, and clean them after every meal. At school, I suggest bringing a mini toothbrush to use after lunch. Take aspirin right after the braces are put on/tightened every 12 hours for the next three days.

Tera Melos

Banned deucer.
I gave 0 shit about pain and ate whatever I wanted. On the fifth day I had it, I had like 5 fried chickens for snack.

Pan fried or deep fired?

Pan fried chicken isn't that unhealthy for you. I can imagine eating a ton of deep fried food would melt or at least corrode your braces.

RNGIsFatal

Banned deucer.
Pan fried or deep fired?

Pan fried chicken isn't that unhealthy for you. I can imagine eating a ton of deep fried food would melt or at least corrode your braces.
Deep fried.

Anyways don't actually be so reckless with eating stuff with braces, it isn't really fun. I forgot to mention how it was still painful when I didn't care about the pain the massive time consumption that followed.

deetah

Bright like a diamond
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
GP & SocMed Lead
I had braces for about 2 years. It is a bit difficult to get used to, especially when you go in for a check up and they make adjustments. It is extremely painful the first few days. I will say that they are completely worth it. Very happy with how my teeth turned out. After you get them off though, make sure you WEAR YOUR RETAINER. I cannot express that enough.

Conni

katharsis
I recall posting in a thread regarding braces but this isn't the one but I'll share my opinions anyways.
I was always a resistant person so I rarely complained about my braces but I can indeed say they do hurt, but only on the first 4 days (maximum) in my experience. My dentists said I've always had strong teeth which may be the cause why the pain for me is very minimum. My brother has braces too and he cannot eat comfortably after the first few days but I can. I admit it hurts but it doesn't hurt to the point where I cannot eat at all so I usually endure it, but it's not hard for me really. This is why I'm confused of why people like my brother have to eat soup for the first few days and then I'm just sitting there eating fried fish without any hassle (pain yes, but very very minimal, also you don't regularly eat fried fish on the first few days of your monthly brace adjusting).

Currently, I'm at the last stage of braces where my top row of teeth is in perfect position and I just need minimal re-adjusting to my bottom row of teeth which needs to be brought up in line with the completed top row since I the reason why I got braces in the first place because I had a rather big deep-bite which is where your bottom row of teeth is in a position where it is deeper in your mouth than it should be. My dentists say I have 2-3 months left of braces which sounds awesome but its not because you need 6 more months of retainers after your braces are taken off to keep your fragile teeth in check which frustrates me because I've gone 1.2 years without biting a burger or eating popcorn (huge brace no-nos but I can cut burgers but it cuts my soul each time) and having to go for 9 more months maximum without being able to bite a burger really grinds my gears but I'll have to tolerate it.

Braces are pretty expensive but I'd say they're worth it if you want the perfect dental health as once you grow older it'll be really hard to maintain good teeth posture and it also helps you get a better smile because braces actually adjust your mouth as well as your teeth so you could end up looking more pretty / handsome or get a better mouth structure or smile in general. I understand people who don't want to spend a heck ton of money just to fix your mouth and teeth but personally I'd recommend it if you really need it. For me, I feel more pain about not being able to eat a lot of stuff more than teeth pain but that's different for everybody but during braces I really recommend just taking your mind of the pain and relax, if it's hurting than do things that take your mind off the pain and soon in the process you won't be bothered by it. After 4 days sometimes I forget I even have braces on because it doesn't hurt anymore, also with the addition of rubber bands which literally pull my sets of teeth together and two metal plates drilled into the side of mouth which I think should hurt quite a lot (it did for the first few days which hurt the most in the time I had my braces but it barely bothers me anymore).

So here's my experience with braces, to sum up my advice for newcomers. It does hurt, I can guarantee that but if you find methods to take your mind off it then by all means do the pain will go away very soon and you'll be fine if you don't have any extra conditions that increase the pain. About the food you eat, the first few days if its hurting quite a lot, then I'd go with what the dentist tells you, soft food and soup works. But for me I can eat anything on the first few days, but I'd say if its hurting quite a lot then I'd wait a week before eating fried or crispy or sticky foods, but whatever you want is good as long as you don't mind the consequences.

Ok enough of me rambling on here's my final say. Would recommend, helps dental health and mouth structure, only setbacks are pain (depending no how tolerant you are but depends on condition), and you probably won't be able to eat your favorite foods in your favorite methods as probably so you'll have to endure that.

Good luck to all those starting to have braces and have them now. It'll be over as soon as you know it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)