SPOILERS! Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl Data Dumps

On the subject of the battle tower...I may have just missed it; but does anyone have a chart of all the items and BP cost?

Edit: I am a dumbass and forgot that it was on the front page lol

Last edited:
Knowing this is great news for those like me who wanted an easier way to obtain Ability Patches for our older Pokemon. 200 BP is much easier to grind for than 200 Dynite Ore, especially with HOME's passive accumulation of BP over time.
There are discord channels where you post a Showdown Pokémon and a bot will contact you with a trade code and send you that Pokémon. Just paste a Pidgey@Ability Capsule and you can get one in like 30 seconds.

Or just hack the entire Pokémon. It doesn't really matter. Mewtwo told us all life is sacred when he literally Pokegenned his own team of clones, hacking Pokémon into existence is canon.

eb4e9cd4a09a07003832c07e2a100739.jpg

Last edited:
There are discord channels where you post a Showdown Pokémon and a bot will contact you with a trade code and send you that Pokémon. Just paste a Pidgey@Ability Capsule and you can get one in like 30 seconds.

Or just hack the entire Pokémon. It doesn't really matter. Mewtwo told us all life is sacred when he literally Pokegenned his own team of clones, hacking Pokémon into existence is canon.

View attachment 385472
Mewtwo (a Pokémon created solely for battle, realizing his error): "It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."
MrHands (our peer): "Hack the Pokémon. Alter your old friends' genetics. Reinvent them solely for battle. Mewtwo said it's okay."
Mewtwo: Abstains from future mind-control, cloning, gene-splicing; assumes personal responsibility for the creatures he spawned while playing God.
MrHands: "Find a bot. Manufacture Pidgey to move goods. You can get it over with in 30 seconds."

Without making a judgment either way, I'm noticing some dissonance between the messages on the screen.

Mewtwo (a Pokémon created solely for battle, realizing his error): "It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."
MrHands (our peer): "Hack the Pokémon. Alter your old friends' genetics. Reinvent them solely for battle. Mewtwo said it's okay."
Mewtwo: Abstains from future mind-control, cloning, gene-splicing; assumes personal responsibility for the creatures he spawned while playing God.
MrHands: "Find a bot. Manufacture Pidgey to move goods. You can get it over with in 30 seconds."

Without making a judgment either way, I'm noticing some dissonance between the messages on the screen.
I don't want to break your imagination of Mewtwo, but in the original Japanese movie, Mewtwo never actually realizes his mistakes and his only interest is fucking up humanity and murdering Mew to show he and his clones are the better versions.

The original movie is way, WAY darker than the English localization (which has several cut and rewritten parts), and doesn't actually have any particularly deep lesson it's trying to teach other than "please do not create demigods in laboratory". I do recommend looking that up, sadly I can only provide a Italian analysis but i'm sure there's english ones around as well.

I don't want to break your imagination of Mewtwo, but in the original Japanese movie, Mewtwo never actually realizes his mistakes and his only interest is fucking up humanity and murdering Mew to show he and his clones are the better versions.

The original movie is way, WAY darker than the English localization (which has several cut and rewritten parts), and doesn't actually have any particularly deep lesson it's trying to teach other than "please do not create demigods in laboratory". I do recommend looking that up, sadly I can only provide a Italian analysis but i'm sure there's english ones around as well.
I don't want to linger on this for too long, but this is just straight up... wrong? Completely.

There are heavy changes to the film's localisation, most prominently in its characterisation of Mewtwo and Mew, and you are definitely correct that it is darker... but most significantly is that Mewtwo is more sympathetic than the clear-cut villain he is in the American version; with a whole long sequence at the beginning showing his backstory cut completely. The film also very much does still have a message, but rather than the "violence is wrong" line in the localised version, it's that all forms of life are precious; underpinning Mew and Mewtwo's battle (in particular, Mew's goal in the original version was to straight up destroy Mewtwo's clones seeing them as an aberration of life; the central conflict here is between natural and artificial life, with the questions left being what constitutes life in the first place).

Mewtwo also absolutely still does what he does in the American version in the end -- he stops fighting, he flies away with the other Pokémon, and eventually when we next see him he's living with them and taking care of them and not starting up any more plots or gene splicing. The visuals alone make this obvious even without any dialogue.

I'm sorry, but... no, the original Japanese version paints Mewtwo as a more sympathetic character and has deeper meaning to it. I really don't know where you got this from

I'm sorry, but... no, the original Japanese version paints Mewtwo as a more sympathetic character and has deeper meaning to it. I really don't know where you got this from
Interesting cause the description I read is the exact opposite, with Mewtwo portrayed as a villain and who doesnt really learn anything from his mistakes. Yes he stops fighting at the end, but just cause he realizes there's no point fighting and they can coexist, without any deep meaning behind it.

I got the entire description from here if you're curious, including an analysis of the cut parts about how Mewtwo comes to be and the whole deal with the daughter of the scientist completely cut from the English version.

I am curious of where you got the other, though, as well, if you mind sharing it in DMs so we don't derail this I'll be glad to check it out.

Teclis

is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
PS Admin
There is a great post by chlo about what Pokémon gained at the beginning of the thread, but I found little content about what we "lost" in terms of competitive elements. I took the learnsets masterpaste, a list of all the OU/UUBL/UU Pokémon with their most used moves in competitive and Ctrl+F'd as much as I could to see what was missing. That's a decent lot, but I suppose (hope) Home compatibility means that most of those will return in early 2022 as long as they are coded into the game (with in italic those who are not, from a sheet Anubis put together).

:alakazam: Trick
:azelf: Knock Off, Psyshock
:blaziken: Thunder Punch, Knock Off, High Jump Kick
:blissey: Teleport
:chansey: Teleport
:clefable: Soft-Boiled, Knock Off, Seismic Toss, Psyshock, Teleport
:crawdaunt: -
:dragonite: Dual Wingbeat, Scale Shot, Ice Punch
:garchomp: Fire Fang, Scale Shot
:gengar: Sludge Wave
:gyarados: Bounce, Power Whip
:heatran: Heavy Slam
:hippowdon: Toxic
:jirachi: Iron Head, Stored Power, Trick, Fire Punch, Ice Punch, Thunder Punch, Aura Sphere
:latias: Trick, Mystical Fire, Future Sight, Psyshock, Aura Sphere
:latios: Trick, Mystical Fire, Future Sight, Psyshock, Aura Sphere
:mamoswine: Superpower, Knock Off, Endeavor
:moltres: Toxic, Mystical Fire, Overheat
:nidoking: Superpower
:pelipper: Weather Ball
:rhyperior: Toxic, Ice Punch, Fire Punch, Heat Crash
:rotom-wash: & :rotom-heat: Defog, Pain Split, Toxic (could not find any information about Hydro Pump, Overheat and other form-exclusive coverage moves. They are not listed in the learnsets, but maybe that's just due to it learning them as it changes forms?)
:salamence: Dual Wingbeat, Hurricane
:scizor: Knock Off, Superpower, Bug Bite
:skarmory: Body Press
:slowbro: Psyshock, Toxic, Teleport
:slowking: Psyshock, Toxic, Teleport, Dragon Tail
:swampert: Flip Turn, Toxic, Ice Punch
:tangrowth: Toxic, Synthesis
:tentacruel: Toxic, Toxic Spikes
:tyranitar: Superpower, Toxic (Pursuit still dead :[)
:weavile: Knock Off, Triple Axel, Low Kick
:zapdos: Hurricane, Weather Ball, Heat Wave

Feel free to leave a message on my profile if I made any mistake or overlooked something relevant. That's my first time doing that kind of research and I spended the last two hours and half browsing through pieces of data, so it's likely there is room for improvement in that regard u.u. As a side note, a quick glance at the items image seems to show that a lot of held items post-4G are missing, like the Boots, the Eviolite, the Assault Vest, the Weakness Policy, the Air Balloon, the Rocky Helmet and a couple others, so even more changes in perspective. Cheers!

16/11: For a more complete list, Kris created a script to get all the viable (according to PS! teambuilder) moves lost in BDSP by Pokémon. Here is the result!

Last edited:
Damn, I didn't even think about the Pt move tutors being lost until I saw Garchomp without Fire Fang. Also a bit of a shock - one that's obvious in retrospect - seeing stuff like Psyshock gone; I've just been so used to it being here as standard

Come to think of it, which BDSP TMs aren't TRs or TMs in SwSh? Is there a compiled list of moves yet that Pokémon can get in BDSP which they can't have in SwSh currently?

Damn, I didn't even think about the Pt move tutors being lost until I saw Garchomp without Fire Fang. Also a bit of a shock - one that's obvious in retrospect - seeing stuff like Psyshock gone; I've just been so used to it being here as standard
Garchomp lost Fire Fang for an entirely different reason
It learned it naturally, at level 1, from gens 1-7
Then SWSH turned it into a TM and also made the dumb and inconsistent decision to remove TM moves from Pokemon's level up or breeding move pools.
Because BDSP took the SWSH movepools where applicable, did not carry over the SWSH TM/TR list AND didn't reinstate the "lost" moves back into the moveset here we are

Garchomp not able to get the move it had for over a decade

Jesus, Weavile just getting the absolute shaft. It's already basically unviable in-game on account of not having a strong, physical Ice STAB...and now competitively it's severely nerfed from losing its primary Dark STAB. I mean, damn.
Eh, disagree. Ingame usually Night Slash is just superior to Knock Off due to almost every trainer not holding items.

Sure that's a bit not the case for BDSP as a lot of gym leader actually hold items but Night Slash is still better than Knock Off everywhere else.

I hope when we do wifi battles, there is the swsh route of being able to choose your background based on gyms, cause wooo mama i need that.
I mean the battles are active now, yeah?
Well ,as active as they can be
I also imagine it would be an option for offline battles as well...

Basically I think that if the battle backgrounds were a thing with BDSP, it's something that could be looked into

Eh, disagree. Ingame usually Night Slash is just superior to Knock Off due to almost every trainer not holding items.

Sure that's a bit not the case for BDSP as a lot of gym leader actually hold items but Night Slash is still better than Knock Off everywhere else.
By 7.5 BP factoring STAB. :facepalm:

Ironically, the one game where it could get the most mileage off Knock... :psycry:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)