SPOILERS! Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl Data Dumps

Fun fact about Black Writ Diantha: her (Mega) Gardevoir’s only method of inflicting damage in that battle is Hypnosis + Dream Eater, because its other two attacks are Captivate and Stored Power. Because apparently Game Freak just had it pull from its most recently learned moves for the level it appears at. :facepalm:
Screen Shot 2021-11-14 at 4.00.08 PM.png

This is absolutely pathetic. This is one of the worst movesets I've ever seen a trainer use, let alone a fucking Champion!

I could see them adding back the Gen 5+ Pokémon for one reason -- if they are to add back all Gen 1-4 Pokémon, then the list of Pokémon left is incredibly small and includes Greninja. It would be very strange to keep this very specific handful of Pokémon out.

Though I guess this is the "very strange specific decision" franchise

Fun fact about Black Writ Diantha: her (Mega) Gardevoir’s only method of inflicting damage in that battle is Hypnosis + Dream Eater, because its other two attacks are Captivate and Stored Power. Because apparently Game Freak just had it pull from its most recently learned moves for the level it appears at. :facepalm:
Yeah all the Writs work like this. They have a "default" team, but once the level modifiers are applied it just goes up/down. and presumably runs a level algorithm or something.
Honestly I don't blame them for handling it this way considering how many trainers show up there, but they really should have provided duplicates internally or a moveset exclusion or something for the important trainers.

Honestly though for me the Lv90 Greedent at Dyna Tree Hill puts up much more of a fight :psynervous:
Honey Isles Vespiquen My Beloathed

I could see them adding back the Gen 5+ Pokémon for one reason -- if they are to add back all Gen 1-4 Pokémon, then the list of Pokémon left is incredibly small and includes Greninja. It would be very strange to keep this very specific handful of Pokémon out.

Legends Arceus DLC be like: oh no its hoopa and he's messing up the ecosystem better go catch all these coincidentally dexited pokemon and also some legendary pokemon

Ash-Greninja, Sawsbuck, Vivillion, Furfrou, Minior, Oriccorio, Hoopa, and Komala are all mons I expect to see removed permanently. Too many form changes, broken moves, weird abilities, etc. And some of the rest are the bulkiest mons of their respective generations. Some of those mons were likely just forgotten by GF, but there's definitely some where I think they're intentionally holding off on adding them back for as long as possible.

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
I mean if gen 8 had no damn issue in adding like 60 alcremie forms, all of which require a very specific method of evolution + no less than 7 different evolution items, I sincerely see no reason why Furfrou, Oricorio or Minior would be permanetely deleted because of too many forms.

Heck BDSP brought back Unown which has 0 rmechanical difference between its 20+ forms and has absolutely no competitive value, so it sounds very weird to me to think they'd remove mons forever because of too many forms

Considering how simple visually Pokémon are and how little is required to animate (3 attack animations, an idle, start, faint, walk, and run) I think we're at a point where the world's most profitable franchise can't use the excuse that it's "too much work" to add a few dozen Pokémon back to the game.

Come on man college interns will do the work for free just to say they did modelling for a Pokémon game. Either Gamefreak is cheap, lazy, or incredibly incompetent. I think Dexit was a combination of tight deadlines and Gamefreak's inexperience with high end hardware but pushing forward they need to pull their shit together.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

It would make sense to put this small handful of remaining mons back in at least Legends: Arceus in some form or another, and I think there could be at least one incentive to have Legends make these remaining Gen 5+ Pokemon obtainable with that between all Gen 8 games: it would create a means for the new kids who started Pokemon with Let's Go or SwSh to be able to fully complete the Pokemon HOME National Pokedex, since HOME is the means for NatDex completion nowadays and the new kids probably don't have an older game to transfer past gen mons to since the 3DS has been phased out of the market now, so this would allow them to successfully fill the HOME Pokedex since SwSh added a large handful with the DLC, and BDSP is filling in the remaining Gen 1-4 gaps, so it would be a good idea to bring this last batch into Legends: Arceus at the very least, especially considering Greninja (read: Greninja) is in this missing batch.

Legends has openly shown it is willing to include Gen 5 onwards Pokemon with a handful of revealed Gen 5 Hisui forms, not to mention Oshawott and Rowlet are among the game's starters, so the door is completely open for these Gen 5+ Pokemon to make their appearance in Legends in some form or another.

I mean if gen 8 had no damn issue in adding like 60 alcremie forms, all of which require a very specific method of evolution + no less than 7 different evolution items, I sincerely see no reason why Furfrou, Oricorio or Minior would be permanetely deleted because of too many forms.

Heck BDSP brought back Unown which has 0 rmechanical difference between its 20+ forms and has absolutely no competitive value, so it sounds very weird to me to think they'd remove mons forever because of too many forms
meanwhile the florges line, Vivillon & (most of) Minior's forms are just textures swaps!

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Do we know when the DS sounds are obtained? I'd honestly consider using the Pikachu line for once if I could have the better cries for it.
Still postgame, but now you can get it immediately after beating Cynthia by talking to Masuda, so at least you can play through the postgame stuff with it on unlike HGSS where by the time you got it the game was basically over

I do think ftr it would be pretty sick and funny if the reason Meloetta, Deoxys and Hoopa specifically were excluded from Crown Tundra was so they could be events in Legends Arceus. It has been confirmed to have a postgame! Bring on Meloetta's backstory of being born out of DNA strands left in space by Deoxys where it fought Hoopa Unbound for the sake of the universe

Okay, yeah, that's pretty sick

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Oh I didn’t know Eviolite wasn’t in, rip
Yeah, it was introduce in Gen V.

Penguins roost?

To put it simply, if it doesn't learn Fly, it shouldn't learn Roost.
Japanese name is "Feather Rest". Piplup family are birds thus have feathers, therefore they can learn Roost (and birds still make nests).
  • BTW the following Pokemon also learn Roost naturally: Dragonite, Dunsparce, Mantine family, Noibat family.
  • And now from TM: Charizard, Butterfree, Beedrill, Zubat family, Venomoth, Scyther family, Aerodactyl, Yanma family, Gligar family, Beautifly, Dustox, Masquerain, Ninjask, Volbeat, Illumise, Vibrava, Flygon, Tropius, Salamence, Latios, Latias, Mothim, Vespiquen, Woobat family, Sigilyph, Emolga, Hydreigon, Volcarona, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Vivillon, Vikavolt, Cutiefly family, Drampa, Tapu Koko, Lunala, Buzzwole, Pheromosa
... So, yeah not only don't they need to be a Flying-type or fly, apparently they also don't need to have feathers! It just seems to be a Pokemon which possesses wings, which Piplup family certainly do.

Let's also remember that Junichi Masuda is the co-director of these games, y'know, the guy everybody accuses of being an out-of-touch boomer who thinks kids can't handle any challenge lest they turn to smartphones? Even if he had no input in these boss fights at all, he still would've had to look through and sign off on them. Either he had a change of heart at some point or the fandom at large heavily misjudged his character from the get-go
Being these were post game teams, I can see Masuda seeing the tougher teams and thinking they're neat and signing off on them. From what it sounds like Masuda likes flying by the seat of his pants so, as long as they don't encroach on his vision philosophies (aka doesn't take development time away from what he wants to do & making the main game accessible to even the youngest of children; I question how much he cares about post game stuff) he's cool with it.

Not really him having a change of heart but more people figuring out how to work around his whimsies.

They could have just altered how the power of Return/Frustration are calculated (& put a cap on it) in that case, honestly. Like they've tweaked those formulas before.
Easier solution, bring back Strength as a TM, make it like 95 Power, and be lenient on who learns it. Is it a Pokemon that, no matter its size or muscle mass, willing to jump into battle and throw down (aka most Pokemon)? It can learn Strength.

The entire motto of this game is basically "gloves off".
Yes, "gloves off"... after hand-holding you through the entire main story.
Late because I forgot about this reply. I like what you've got, but there's a whole wide world of Rock-type jaw wordplay to select from.
  • Cavernous Maw
  • Tooth Pick
  • Stalag-bite
Fun fact, I had initially named the Dragon-type biting move (seriously, why don't we have one of those already?) "Dragon Maw"... and then GF goes to use it as a name for an Ability which has nothing to do with biting. So I renamed it "Dragon Gnash". But yeah, since "Maw" has been used I don't want to repeat.

HOWEVER "Tooth Pick" is really good, I think I'll use it! :blobthumbsup:

Yeah all the Writs work like this. They have a "default" team, but once the level modifiers are applied it just goes up/down. and presumably runs a level algorithm or something.
Honestly I don't blame them for handling it this way considering how many trainers show up there, but they really should have provided duplicates internally or a moveset exclusion or something for the important trainers.
Actually, here's the facepalming part of this: it's only a problem for non-Gen VI Pokemon. Because, seemingly knowing this, it looks for most of the Gen VI Pokemon they made their level-up moveset look somewhat like a proper final battling set. Like, look at Diantha's other Pokemon, they're pretty okay as well as the other trainer's Gen VI Pokemon.

HOWEVER, they didn't do this for the non-Gen VI Pokemon, which may not be noticeable as most people only focus on the trainer's ace and most Gen VI trainers have a Gen VI ace. But for the ones who don't like Diantha and Korrina we get some odd move selections. Notably, some Writ challenges having their Gardevoir and Lucario knowing Heal Pulse. Battle Chataeu is are all SINGLE battles so they now have a move that only helps their opponent.

Wait. How does Kricketune sound now!?
Like it's READY TO LAY DOWN A SICK RE-RE-REMIX!

Yes, "gloves off"... after hand-holding you through the entire main story.
How do they hold your hand through the main story? Cyrus's Gyarados is holding a Wacan Berry on top of still having EQ...that's just one of many examples of the bosses, even in the main story, having upgraded move sets and items.

To be honest, it seems like you've convinced yourself this game will not meet your expectations no matter what. I don't think there's much this game could've done to change that.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Being these were post game teams, I can see Masuda seeing the tougher teams and thinking they're neat and signing off on them. From what it sounds like Masuda likes flying by the seat of his pants so, as long as they don't encroach on his vision philosophies (aka doesn't take development time away from what he wants to do & making the main game accessible to even the youngest of children; I question how much he cares about post game stuff) he's cool with it.
Wukong already kinda beat me to it, but this isn't just a postgame fluke. Look through the sheet again and you'll find all sorts of main story bosses have a lithany of EVs, item usage and proper synergies. Look at Byron, who runs a Trick Room team. Look at Maylene with a Bulk Up Lucario supported by Light Clay dual screens Meditite. Look at literally the entire Elite Four.

The postgame rematches are of course where the NPCs truly go full power, but their main story battles are absolutely worthy foes. I'd say the only bosses that are still sort of underwhelming are Candice and Cyrus, and even those are probably still above average on the whole.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
How do they hold your hand through the main story? Cyrus's Gyarados is holding a Wacan Berry on top of still having EQ...that's just one of many examples of the bosses, even in the main story, having upgraded move sets and items.

To be honest, it seems like you've convinced yourself this game will not meet your expectations no matter what. I don't think there's much this game could've done to change that.
If by "convincing myself" means not seeing them use the Platinum teams as a base to being with, yeah, it doesn't meet my expectations. All good that their using the Platinum teams as a base for rematches, but would have liked to see them use them during the main game too. I'll give you this, they improved moveset they gave the teams are a marked improvement, but that was in spite of them not being allowed to give them more proper teams to begin with.

The postgame rematches are of course where the NPCs truly go full power, but their main story battles are absolutely worthy foes.
And then Exp Share came along.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)