SPOILERS! Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl Data Dumps

Some of the Gen 8 movesets also stand out because of the absurd Levels moves are learned. A lot of the the DLC movesets look like, and probably were, made for Pokemon caught at Level 60 in SwSh's Postgame instead of anything that would ever make them usable in BDSP. You may want to avoid evolving Shinx until Level 48 if you want Wild Charge because it's Level 68 for Luxio or 80 for Luxray. You're better off sticking with Volt Switch for STAB so you can switch to something that actually learns its moves. Zubat and Nidoran desperately need TMs too because every 5 Levels with their moves doesn't let you get any good moves without TMs and it's even slower if you evolve them, which most people would.

Were they not allowed to touch the Level Up Moves from SwSh? The stuff changed and not changed... Why? The trainer's movesets were improved a ton, so why is so much unchanged or ported then unchanged?
This really irked me when seeing Dialga's learnset. They took the Gen 8 learnset and moved Roar of Time down to 40 so it would have it on catch and just shifted every other move up. Now Dialga learns Iron Tail at Level 88 as its final move just because it has 100 power, which is not the kind of final move you expect when grinding your box legendary to its personal peak. They could have taken the USUM learnset finishing at level 50 with Flash Cannon, or even added Heal Block back from DP and had a perfectly fine learnset designed with capturing it in the story in mind.

For reference/reminder, leader rematches in Platinum were 5 Pokemon and levels ranged from 61 to 65
Tyranitar was on Roark's team, but it was his ace (for some reason a number of rematches changed their ace) at level 65.
I know the internet is pining away for Plat content, but now I hope Volkner gets to keep his infamous Octillery at Lv. 68. I hope he sculpts it into something even more chaotic. I hope it keeps its Electric move and gains more tools to snowball its already considerable SpA. I even hope NastyPass Ambipom stays on the team to ease the big guns onto the field.

Octillery (M) @ Magnet
Ability: Moody
Level: 68
-
Thunder Wave / Protect

- Charge Beam
-
Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump

He's constantly tired of being the Electric Gym Leader. Let the man supercharge his octopus like he always wanted.

Last edited:
Needless to say, the movesets don't seem to be made by the same person (or team) who made the SwSh ones. Whether it was ILCA or someone else at Game Freak who drafted them remains to be known.

Also, there were some SwSh learnsets that got additions too, like Flygon learning Outrage at lv 1. This is also a sign of the moveset designer(s)'s unfamiliarity with the SwSh learnsets, since they placed Outrage right in between the two Dragon Claw entries.
View attachment 384240
They probably put it at the "start" of the moveset. So its under Dragon Claw #1 because that's the "learn upon evolving" one so it is its own special thing

Was it because of the fact that it operates in Unity engine or something like that?

Not sure how ”hack-able” it would really be, especially with GF + ILCA would not likely be permissive toward RomHack of a game they are about to release, but I’ll like to see where this is going.
The fact that Unity is the engine is the big reason for this. This will be a deep rabbit hole.

Soooooo, how early can you unlock following mons? Assuming they do increase happiness and happiness is tied to Amié's nonsense, that also means that happiness evos should be extremely easy to get.

I want to evolve Budew early. :psysly:

Soooooo, how early can you unlock following mons? Assuming they do increase happiness and happiness is tied to Amié's nonsense, that also means that happiness evos should be extremely easy to get.

You get it when you first do Amity Square in Hearthome.

Do we know what legends are shiny locked yet?

Move pools aren't that bad, TBH. But there are some moves missing. Seems like overall the move pools are a bit smaller.

Edit: Take that back. The more I look, the more lame it gets. Kind of mediocre.

Last edited:
It seems so wild that the SwSh learnsets established new patterns and boundaries that honestly streamline everything pretty nicely (as much as I hate Ultra Beasts not having their prime number level up learns anymore) and then just. Didn't do it at all.

And yeah the increasing move power sort didn't JUST happen in cases with roughshod replacements like Cacnea, you also have Probopass with 80BP Body Press just tacked on the end after 120BP Zap Cannon. That wasn't even replacing anything!
Yeah the SWSH movepools are soo much better. It's such a glaring contrast

Unless I'm wrong, I think Amie is separate from friendship and by extension, friendship evolutions. I don't think your Pokémon's friendship stat has any effect on Amie bullshit like surviving with 1 HP and randomly landing critical hits.

I really hope I'm not wrong about this.

Was I seriously the only one who didn't like that basing every damage dealing move off of base power was the route? It lead to things like Take Down after Seed Bomb, CC for the hitmons at 36, and more oddities.
The level-up interval in SWSH was more streamlined and flowed better, going in intervals of 3-7 for normal mons, and 5-9 for legendaries/mythicals, whereas in past gens there was no consistency, and having the moves be in order of base power is pretty cool. Learn the weak moves early and the strong moves later

Unless I'm wrong, I think Amie is separate from friendship and by extension, friendship evolutions. I don't think your Pokémon's friendship stat has any effect on Amie bullshit like surviving with 1 HP and randomly landing critical hits.

I really hope I'm not wrong about this.
So, basically, and I want to reinforce that I do not know anything about this for sure in BDSP, Happiness and Affection were merged in SwSh.

So up to a certain threshold, only Happiness was relevant, and the only relevant thing that worked off it was the happiness evos (Which had their value lowered to 160 iirc.)

After a certain point, Amié bs kicked in, but you could only break through that point with Camp and the like. Normal Happiness boosters were capped.

As for BDSP... We don't quite know yet.

I really wish traded in Pokemon didn't grow exp faster. I might want to use an Empoleon alongside my Torterra but I don't want to risk overleveling with the EXP share (the only time I had an overleveled Pokemon in any of my exp share playthroughs was my traded Lycanroc-D)

Oh snap, Gliscor got Poison Heal now! Bertha definitely got one, I just know it.

More importantly, I will be able to get one.

Sinnoh Gang coming back from the brink of despair. :swole:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)