Brokemons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking through the Johto changes...

Why is feraligatr poison? Doesn't make much sense, tbh.

Ariados still sucks.
Sudowoodo: ^

ermahgerd delibird gets pickup. If I wanted to set hazards, I would use smeargle. Not 4x weak to rocks and gets spore. :/

Questions:
How does it make sense flavor-wise to give slowking volt switch? I like specs slowking and all, but it seems kind of odd. EDIT: Oh. Analytic. Specs slowking seems a lot better now.

EDIT the 2nd: Just noticed one of slowking's abilities. Instant trick room. Volt switch makes a whole lot more sense for battling, but still makes no sense for flavor.

Smeargle... gains sketch?

Last edited:
Some things I'm noticing.

General comment: I get the distinct impression most of these changes are made under the assumption that Doubles and Triples do not exist and never will. Except randomly Flower Gift.

Unown: In addition to being very silly, there are no moves that start with ! or ?, not even getting into how hugely uneven moves-by-starting-letter is in the first place.

60 BP moves being buffed: Since Technician seems to be unmodified, this is actually often taking Technician options away, such as Scizor no longer getting Technician Aerial Ace because it's 75 BP.

Conversely there a lot of multi-hit moves that suddenly exist and can get the Technician boost, like Aqua Tail (Cinccino), and I'm not sure this has been given much thought. Not even getting into the fact that Mr. Mime gets 90 BP +1 Special Attack per use 95% accurate Charge Beam, which I'm guessing was not an implication noticed. Another one: Fearow with STAB Technician-boosted Fury Attack, starting from a BP of 25 (So if it hits twice it's effectively 75 BP) and hitting up to five times. (187.5 BP!)

Confusion (Status): This is your (Speaking collectively) Pet Mod of course, but if it were me I'd do away with the randomness entirely and make it be the case that a Pokemon that is currently Confused hurts itself every turn but also performs its move without issue. It would in particular make Swagger a much more dangerous (To the user) but reliable effect.

Paralysis: Woo no more Full Paralysis! On the other hand, while the Lagging Tail effect sounds clever, I personally dislike how it renders it irrelevant how much Speed boosting you do. If the intent was to buff it, OK fine, but if it's just meant to be interesting and different it's actually a lot more powerful than cutting Speed by 75%.

Dragon type: Why doesn't it get any new Super Effectives? In Gen VI Dragon is a shockingly unappealing type even for Dragons, and with Normal resisting it now it's suddenly a lot worse. Type chart modifications are tricky, but if Brokemons is supposed to make everything so good it all works out as balanced, nerfing Dragon when it's already bad offensively seems an odd decision.

Feint: Kind of curious as to why its explicitly listed in the Pastebin when it basically says "Exactly as per Gen VI".

Fell Stinger: Kricketune gets a 90 BP physical attacking move that's like having Moxie if you spam it. Yikes. Sounds cool. Too bad its Special oriented. Also Kricketune is listed as gaining 'disalarming voice'. Uh. What?

Flame Wheel: Is its changes in addition to clearing Freeze on the user and target or in place of doing so?

Fighting-type Horn Drill: ??? Especially when contrasted with Ground-type Horn Attack...

Needle Arm: One of my favorite changes, being clever, flavorful, and good. Same for Spike Cannon.

Priority for everything: RIP everything with a double weakness to anything. I do at least appreciate that you're not giving everything both Physical and Special priority moves.

Psych Up: If it being Work Up is in place of its normal effect, color me disappointed. If that's in addition to copying the enemy's stats, wow.

Psycho Cut: Flinch chance??

Psycho Slam: +4 priority is enough to outspeed Protect, Detect, King's Shield, and Spiky Shield. It's also higher priority than Quick Guard. Fake Out is +3 priority, and none of these are listed so I can only assume they're all onmodified.

All the Flying Press knock offs: Don't necessarily agree with individual cases, but love the principle.

Sky Uppercut: Another one I love. It's one of those things I hope Game Freak does by Gen VII themselves.

Solar Beam: Are the stated things in place of Solar Beam's normal behavior, or is it 'as per normal Solar Beam, but harder hitting, capable of Burning, and inaccurate'? Personally I don't see why Solar Beam is being changed at all, it's a fine move so long as you've got Sun up and is a fun move because it requires support to be good but is really good when supported.

Smack Down: I want my Smacked Down status back.

Poison Type: Several moves specifically mention being able to hit Steel type, but Steel is listed as no longer being immune to Poison. Huh? I don't even see why you'd remove Steel's immunity to Poison: it's flavorful, contributes to Steel being hard to get status on, and isn't remotely the crux of Poison's issues as a type. (It's much more held back by being effective on only two types)

Stealth Rock: THANK YOU

Stockpile, Swallow, Spit Up: It's not really clear if you're dumping the interaction and making them interesting in other ways (In which case Stockpile is literally a bad Cosmic Power now, as opposed to being functionally a bad Cosmic Power) or if that end of things remains the same but they have these other details different. If it's the latter, than maybe Stockpile should be able to store past 3 Stockpiles (The Stockpile status, not just the stats) with Swallow and Spit Up only using up to 3?

Synchronoise: I do quite like the idea of certain moves having an inverted type chart, while still getting their normal STAB. Suddenly Psychic types can slam Dark types for STAB super effective damage, albeit off a weak move. (Not that weak if any of them also gets Technician)

By a similar token I like the idea of Wonder Room, even if I'm less sold on the idea of the type inversion shunting aside Defense/Special Defense swapping.

Adaptability: Is 1.8 as in "After STAB and Adaptability, the move is 1.8 times as strong" ie weaker than Adaptability (Which would be good) or as in STAB moves are 50% stronger and then nearly doubled from there? (Which would be awful)

Air Lock and Cloud Nine: This would make weather wars really really really really obnoxious. And you didn't try to make them any different from each other?

Aura Break: I like this a lot more than canon Aura Break, since it means Zygarde actually has a real Ability. And shutting off all Abilities is actually pretty interesting, particularly in Double and Triple battles.

Battle Armor: The 1/12th reduction in all damage seems a bit random and uninteresting. I guess it very mildly encourages using percentage effects and non-standard damage formula effects?

Bulletproof: I am less than thrilled at the English-centric approach here, when the series is Japanese in origin and many English names are not remotely faithful translations. ("Sucker Punch the non-Punching move")

Burninate: Not Incinerate?

Cheek Pouch: Once per battle? Once per switch in? Either way, it sounds really bad. The latter is a crappy Regenerator and the former is just awful. (Normal Cheek Pouch can at least use Recycle, Thief, etc to re-use the Ability benefit)

Clear Body: Hooray!

Color Change: I quite like how its actually useful. Gives Kecleon an unpredictability advantage.

Damp: So Quagsire gets no disadvantage but also not much advantage?

Defeatist: That is a really small loss of health. I realize Defeatist is harsh, but I dunno. I also don't like how it means if Archeops pushes through with a Focus Sash and then lands the KO it self-destructs.

Flower Veil: Why does Florges get to be Grass typed and then gain STAB-tier boosting to its Grass moves.

Illuminate: Part of me has to ask 'why no lower Accuracy' but honestly even though it makes more flavor sense that way I prefer the Speed-dropping.

Iron Fist: With Punching moves made stronger and Iron Fist providing more of a boost Iron Fist Pokemon are going to be more ridiculous than I suspect you're anticipating.

Keen Eye: Seems the most ridiculous of the assorted 'immunity to x stat dropping and gain boost on switch-in', allowing anything with Keen Eye to spam anything with 80 Accuracy or more fearlessly. You usually only need that first Accuracy increase anyway.

Magma Armor: Is that supposed to mean contact moves specifically (ie its Iron Barbs/Rough Skin), or does it mean what it says eg any attack is punished?

Normalize: Mixed feelings

Pickup: Why specify they have to survive?

Sand Force: oh god

Shell Armor: Same thing as I said earlier about Battle Armor. Also have mixed feelings about weather-based attempt to differentiate them. Why does a shell protect from baseball-sized chunks of ice slamming into you but not grit, while 'Battle' armor protects from grit rubbing you raw but not ice chunks? I'd rather see one reduce physical damage more and the other special damage more, or something.

Shield Dust: why would you make it worse rather than better

Snow Rush: Not Ice Skater or something?

Steadfast: This seems problematic when Flinching doesn't occur until the Pokemon's turn arrives but the damage negation would have to occur on impact.

Sweet Veil: oh god

Teravolt and Turboblaze: Hooray for being different-but-related-to Mold Breaker! As opposed to just being Mold Breaker by a different name.

Unnerve: You clearly copy-pasted the Illuminate description, because it says Illuminate in the text body where it should say Unnerve. Also: mixed feelings about all these physical-special equivalencies, like Pure Power being Special Huge Power.

Wonder Skin: Weird idea, but at least it's not a crappy Magic Bounce.

Wonder Guard: Oh god. Also, the Japanese name is 'mysterious protection'. I'd be hesitant to describe 'being cloaked in a mystical veil' as the thing when the whole point that it's sort of baffling why it doesn't die. I do like the idea of it announcing though, particularly relevant to any Hackmons version of this that might get made.

Wonderer: Wonderer?? Just name it Wondrous. It's an actual word and everything.

Warped Mind: Why not just 'Warped' or call it 'Trickster' or 'Warper'?

Water Veil: Seems odd to specify that the user must be Water type for the healing to apply. Are you going to add Water Veil to any non-Water types in this mod?

Type chart generally: My only other major objection is that Dark being vulnerable to Dark seems like bad idea for a lot of reasons. I'd sooner make it good against Normal and give Normal another point in its favor as part of separating it offensively from Ghost. Well. OK also Rock resisting itself doesn't do much for it, but type chart changes are tricky.

EDIT: Well, one more thing: this mod makes Fighting a really bad defensive type as opposed to a bad-ish-but-important-resistances type. Stealth Rock resistance is less important and now Rock resists it and Bug isn't vulnerable, making Fighting's resistance to Rock less important, Dark is more resisted (Yes yes it's vulnerable to itself, but in the balance being vulnerable to itself while some other type resists it means it's more resisted overall), Fighting has picked up another weakness and lost one of its Resistances and oh man Fighting is just awful defensively in this mod.

Last edited:
/end textwall
Comments in bold
Some things I'm noticing.

General comment: I get the distinct impression most of these changes are made under the assumption that Doubles and Triples do not exist and never will. Except randomly Flower Gift. You're right.

Unown: In addition to being very silly, there are no moves that start with ! or ?, not even getting into how hugely uneven moves-by-starting-letter is in the first place. Eh, we couldn't think of anything else.

60 BP moves being buffed: Since Technician seems to be unmodified, this is actually often taking Technician options away, such as Scizor no longer getting Technician Aerial Ace because it's 75 BP.

Conversely there a lot of multi-hit moves that suddenly exist and can get the Technician boost, like Aqua Tail (Cinccino), and I'm not sure this has been given much thought. Not even getting into the fact that Mr. Mime gets 90 BP +1 Special Attack per use 95% accurate Charge Beam, which I'm guessing was not an implication noticed. Another one: Fearow with STAB Technician-boosted Fury Attack, starting from a BP of 25 (So if it hits twice it's effectively 75 BP) and hitting up to five times. (187.5 BP!) >Not noticing that Breloom's Bullet Seed is the same thing

Confusion (Status): This is your (Speaking collectively) Pet Mod of course, but if it were me I'd do away with the randomness entirely and make it be the case that a Pokemon that is currently Confused hurts itself every turn but also performs its move without issue. It would in particular make Swagger a much more dangerous (To the user) but reliable effect.

Paralysis: Woo no more Full Paralysis! On the other hand, while the Lagging Tail effect sounds clever, I personally dislike how it renders it irrelevant how much Speed boosting you do. If the intent was to buff it, OK fine, but if it's just meant to be interesting and different it's actually a lot more powerful than cutting Speed by 75%.

Dragon type: Why doesn't it get any new Super Effectives? In Gen VI Dragon is a shockingly unappealing type even for Dragons, and with Normal resisting it now it's suddenly a lot worse. Type chart modifications are tricky, but if Brokemons is supposed to make everything so good it all works out as balanced, nerfing Dragon when it's already bad offensively seems an odd decision.

Feint: Kind of curious as to why its explicitly listed in the Pastebin when it basically says "Exactly as per Gen VI". I don't know.

Fell Stinger: Kricketune gets a 90 BP physical attacking move that's like having Moxie if you spam it. Yikes. Sounds cool. Too bad its Special oriented. Also Kricketune is listed as gaining 'disalarming voice'. Uh. What? Disarming Voice. It was an error on the typer's part.

Flame Wheel: Is its changes in addition to clearing Freeze on the user and target or in place of doing so? In place.

Fighting-type Horn Drill: ??? Especially when contrasted with Ground-type Horn Attack...

Needle Arm: One of my favorite changes, being clever, flavorful, and good. Same for Spike Cannon. Thanks.

Priority for everything: RIP everything with a double weakness to anything. I do at least appreciate that you're not giving everything both Physical and Special priority moves.

Psych Up: If it being Work Up is in place of its normal effect, color me disappointed. If that's in addition to copying the enemy's stats, wow. In place.

Psycho Cut: Flinch chance??

Psycho Slam: +4 priority is enough to outspeed Protect, Detect, King's Shield, and Spiky Shield. It's also higher priority than Quick Guard. Fake Out is +3 priority, and none of these are listed so I can only assume they're all onmodified.

All the Flying Press knock offs: Don't necessarily agree with individual cases, but love the principle.

Sky Uppercut: Another one I love. It's one of those things I hope Game Freak does by Gen VII themselves.

Solar Beam: Are the stated things in place of Solar Beam's normal behavior, or is it 'as per normal Solar Beam, but harder hitting, capable of Burning, and inaccurate'? Personally I don't see why Solar Beam is being changed at all, it's a fine move so long as you've got Sun up and is a fun move because it requires support to be good but is really good when supported. In place, so it's like a Thunder clone. I think sun needed one of those.

Smack Down: I want my Smacked Down status back.

Poison Type: Several moves specifically mention being able to hit Steel type, but Steel is listed as no longer being immune to Poison. Huh? I don't even see why you'd remove Steel's immunity to Poison: it's flavorful, contributes to Steel being hard to get status on, and isn't remotely the crux of Poison's issues as a type. (It's much more held back by being effective on only two types) I don't know why that happened.

Stealth Rock: THANK YOU

Stockpile, Swallow, Spit Up: It's not really clear if you're dumping the interaction and making them interesting in other ways (In which case Stockpile is literally a bad Cosmic Power now, as opposed to being functionally a bad Cosmic Power) or if that end of things remains the same but they have these other details different. If it's the latter, than maybe Stockpile should be able to store past 3 Stockpiles (The Stockpile status, not just the stats) with Swallow and Spit Up only using up to 3?

Synchronoise: I do quite like the idea of certain moves having an inverted type chart, while still getting their normal STAB. Suddenly Psychic types can slam Dark types for STAB super effective damage, albeit off a weak move. (Not that weak if any of them also gets Technician)

By a similar token I like the idea of Wonder Room, even if I'm less sold on the idea of the type inversion shunting aside Defense/Special Defense swapping.

Adaptability: Is 1.8 as in "After STAB and Adaptability, the move is 1.8 times as strong" ie weaker than Adaptability (Which would be good) or as in STAB moves are 50% stronger and then nearly doubled from there? (Which would be awful) First one.

Air Lock and Cloud Nine: This would make weather wars really really really really obnoxious. And you didn't try to make them any different from each other?

Aura Break: I like this a lot more than canon Aura Break, since it means Zygarde actually has a real Ability. And shutting off all Abilities is actually pretty interesting, particularly in Double and Triple battles.

Battle Armor: The 1/12th reduction in all damage seems a bit random and uninteresting. I guess it very mildly encourages using percentage effects and non-standard damage formula effects?

Bulletproof: I am less than thrilled at the English-centric approach here, when the series is Japanese in origin and many English names are not remotely faithful translations. ("Sucker Punch the non-Punching move")

Burninate: Not Incinerate? That's a move, bro. I'll probably make it Pyrate either way.

Cheek Pouch: Once per battle? Once per switch in? Either way, it sounds really bad. The latter is a crappy Regenerator and the former is just awful. (Normal Cheek Pouch can at least use Recycle, Thief, etc to re-use the Ability benefit) Once per switch-in. It's supposed to simulate having a Sitrus Berry in the cheek pouches at all times.

Clear Body: Hooray!

Color Change: I quite like how its actually useful. Gives Kecleon an unpredictability advantage.

Damp: So Quagsire gets no disadvantage but also not much advantage?

Defeatist: That is a really small loss of health. I realize Defeatist is harsh, but I dunno. I also don't like how it means if Archeops pushes through with a Focus Sash and then lands the KO it self-destructs.

Flower Veil: Why does Florges get to be Grass typed and then gain STAB-tier boosting to its Grass moves.

Illuminate: Part of me has to ask 'why no lower Accuracy' but honestly even though it makes more flavor sense that way I prefer the Speed-dropping.

Iron Fist: With Punching moves made stronger and Iron Fist providing more of a boost Iron Fist Pokemon are going to be more ridiculous than I suspect you're anticipating.

Keen Eye: Seems the most ridiculous of the assorted 'immunity to x stat dropping and gain boost on switch-in', allowing anything with Keen Eye to spam anything with 80 Accuracy or more fearlessly. You usually only need that first Accuracy increase anyway.

Magma Armor: Is that supposed to mean contact moves specifically (ie its Iron Barbs/Rough Skin), or does it mean what it says eg any attack is punished? Contact moves, I think.

Normalize: Mixed feelings

Pickup: Why specify they have to survive?

Sand Force: oh god

Shell Armor: Same thing as I said earlier about Battle Armor. Also have mixed feelings about weather-based attempt to differentiate them. Why does a shell protect from baseball-sized chunks of ice slamming into you but not grit, while 'Battle' armor protects from grit rubbing you raw but not ice chunks? I'd rather see one reduce physical damage more and the other special damage more, or something.

Shield Dust: why would you make it worse rather than better

Snow Rush: Not Ice Skater or something?

Steadfast: This seems problematic when Flinching doesn't occur until the Pokemon's turn arrives but the damage negation would have to occur on impact.

Sweet Veil: oh god

Teravolt and Turboblaze: Hooray for being different-but-related-to Mold Breaker! As opposed to just being Mold Breaker by a different name.

Unnerve: You clearly copy-pasted the Illuminate description, because it says Illuminate in the text body where it should say Unnerve. Also: mixed feelings about all these physical-special equivalencies, like Pure Power being Special Huge Power.

Wonder Skin: Weird idea, but at least it's not a crappy Magic Bounce.

Wonder Guard: Oh god. Also, the Japanese name is 'mysterious protection'. I'd be hesitant to describe 'being cloaked in a mystical veil' as the thing when the whole point that it's sort of baffling why it doesn't die. I do like the idea of it announcing though, particularly relevant to any Hackmons version of this that might get made.

Wonderer: Wonderer?? Just name it Wondrous. It's an actual word and everything.

Warped Mind: Why not just 'Warped' or call it 'Trickster' or 'Warper'?

Water Veil: Seems odd to specify that the user must be Water type for the healing to apply. Are you going to add Water Veil to any non-Water types in this mod? Check the other pastebins.

Type chart generally: My only other major objection is that Dark being vulnerable to Dark seems like bad idea for a lot of reasons. I'd sooner make it good against Normal and give Normal another point in its favor as part of separating it offensively from Ghost. Well. OK also Rock resisting itself doesn't do much for it, but type chart changes are tricky.

EDIT: Well, one more thing: this mod makes Fighting a really bad defensive type as opposed to a bad-ish-but-important-resistances type. Stealth Rock resistance is less important and now Rock resists it and Bug isn't vulnerable, making Fighting's resistance to Rock less important, Dark is more resisted (Yes yes it's vulnerable to itself, but in the balance being vulnerable to itself while some other type resists it means it's more resisted overall), Fighting has picked up another weakness and lost one of its Resistances and oh man Fighting is just awful defensively in this mod.
General comment: This is a ded mod. If you want to help me with a personal pet mod that I'm making, PM me. But this is a ded mod, and I'm leaving it to die.

... but this is the only Pet Mod I think would actually improve the game instead of being weird and different (Better in some ways, worse in others) or outright worse than the actual games.

In any event I'd need to know something about this other personal pet mod before I had anything to say about whether I was interested in helping with it or not.

... but this is the only Pet Mod I think would actually improve the game instead of being weird and different (Better in some ways, worse in others) or outright worse than the actual games.

In any event I'd need to know something about this other personal pet mod before I had anything to say about whether I was interested in helping with it or not.
Well, the thing is, I'm not done with it yet, but we could be completely 100% equal partners. Yeah, that's right. Equal.

Malamar
Psychic / Dark
101/122/103/68/90/96 (BST 580)
Contrary / Psychokinate / DampDampDampDamp (HA)

...what the crap is DampDampDampDamp? it's not in the pasebin.

new ability: Final Destination:

If the pokemon's to be KO'd, it survives with 1 HP, and gets double: Attack, Speed, and Special Attack.
give this move to the pokemon who have ever been in smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)