Singles Build Around That (Battle Spot Special 13)

What core next

• Mimikyu ditto(set up stop)

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Toxapex tapu bulu metagross -mega(gterrain abuse)

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • 3 tapus (for fun)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sun

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Salamence -Mega,Aegislash(cooooommmmooonnn)

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
VOTING STARTS NOW!!!!!!!!
BTW I thought I should say this, this thread is very disappointing to me, not because of the effort you've put in or the quality of the thread itself, but because I honestly feel bad about how someone tried to start something up to try engage the community and it has mostly been ignored asides from a few people.

This sort of thing has annoyed me since I've stopped being a complete noob and started gaining enough perspective to know better.

I kind of came in with this silly ideal that we would all help each other to become better, almost be like a bit of a team or a family but the reality can't be further than the truth. The reality is the only time I am going to ever play or interact with the majority of the community is in a tournament. I used to ask around practically every day for friendlies and the like, feedback on teams etc. so I can actually improve in an environment where I not only get feedback from myself but others if I'd need it about my team or gameplay (this you CANNOT do on ladder or Cart) even to the point of personally PMing various people and perhaps over the last 11 months I've played 6-7 people from the battlespot room/discord outside of tournament or by chance meeting them on ladder and only one of any frequency (Monsareeasy). The Japanese are probably far ahead of the English speaking community because they actually theorycraft, talk and train together. I see more talk about how to play the game in my ladder games in the 1500s by Japanese ghosters than I do from the actual community.

I don't know if I would have ever kept playing BSS for more than a few weeks without going through Battling 101.

How do you expect the Battlespot scene to grow without actually putting any effort towards it? I get that it is easier though to just sit in the bubble and once in a blue moon come out to criticise someone else for saying something wrong, most likely more to make yourself look right and smart than to actually help the person in question. Lets just wait for Gen 8/Lets Go and pray new players join the community seems to be the stratagem of choice. If I was looking at this from the outside in, I'd be bailing.

The forums dead. The tournaments aren't cared about. There's no talking about the game. There's basically no way to actually get better other than almost completely on your own. At least some people stream BSS gameplay, but that's about all I got to say.

There are some nice people here, but man don't expect anything but decline in BSS, at least on Smogon.

Last edited:

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
I wouldn't personally go that far. My 2 cents is that i think people are hesitant to join because these cores are almost too specific and these fun "activities" don't directly help one become a better player. One way to directly address this is instead of forcing people to not post something similar to what's in Nouthuca, thereby basically making people post meme teams trying to get votes, allow people to directly address said teams and discuss what is successful and what doesn't. This is probably a much more productive activity to improve player skill and metagame insight, and in addition provide a great resource for people to go off of and put their own twist on things, like the Doubles Framework Thread. Personally, that thread was the most important resource for me when I started off learning doubles, and I think having this kind of project double as a helpful resource thread is going to be really cool thing for many improving players.

Sorry for not being active enough across different sections of the website in general to post regularly - but the tournaments are definitely cared about for many prominent BSS players who are involved in the community.

The reason why I think resource archival is a better way to spark forum activities is fairly straightforward. In general, forum discussion is a dying trend. It's simply inferior to discussion on discord channels, where you get instant feedback. Forums are best now for archiving and resources, rather than active discussion. I think acknowledging this and using the strengths of a forum is a much more effective way to progress, instead of getting upset about lack of active discussion.

Last edited:

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion

Mew @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Def / 200 SpD / 12 Spe
Careful Nature
- Fake Out
- Tailwind
- Transform
- Super Fang

Rayquaza-Mega @ Focus Sash
Ability: Delta Stream
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- Protect
- Waterfall
- V-create

Arceus @ Normalium Z
Ability: Multitype
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Shadow Claw
- Protect

Magearna @ Fairium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 192 SpA / 64 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Dazzling Gleam
- Protect
- Trick Room

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Precipice Blades
- Eruption
- Earth Power
- Protect

Kyogre-Primal @ Blue Orb
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Def / 76 SpA
Modest Nature
- Water Spout
- Ice Beam
- Origin Pulse
- Protect

Basically I put in all the broken Pokemon with no drawback, and hoped Mew can support them and tie em all together.

On how to EV your Mew for this competition:

252 HP / 44 Def lives a 252+ LO Mega Ray Dragon Ascent
252 HP / 96+ Def lives two 252+ Primal Groudon Precipice Blades
252 HP / 96+ SpDef lives a +2 Timid Xerneas Moonblast
252 HP / 200+ SpDef lives a +2 Modest Xernease Moonblast
252 HP / 0 SpDef lives a Timid Neutral Lunala Moongeist Beam, meaning you can Snarl a Specs version and take any hit from it, or alternatively means that a one that KOs you cannot use Wide Guard.

Rest are fairly straightforward:

For Mew, I had too many special attackers that Xerneas is the biggest concern, though granted, Groudon + Magearna is one of the primary mode for the team. For other players, please feel free to pick a spread that works best for their team. Slower your Mew, the more advantaged it is to for Weather Control, and I think this spread works best here. Super Fang is there to support my lackluster Tailwind mode, to ensure OHKOs.

For Rayquaza, I have both Primals to power up both moves. Hitting Groudon, Magearna, Necrozma-Dusk-Mane are very meta-relevant, though i am realizing Focus Sash isn't too useful.

I tried so many Arceus types and I'm kinda sad that Normal is just too good to pass up. It's also my team's regular offensive mode and the main setup Pokemon to take advantage of Mew's Transform.

Magearna spread enables a Tailwind mode with Mew, as it can now outspeed Mega Rayquaza with Tailwind support.

Primal Groudon is the main Trick Room mode for this team with Magearna support. It KOs opposing Groudon to Enable my Magearna, and also takes KOs before Magearna strikes to boost its Z-Move.

Primal Kyogre's rain allows me to shield my Magearna from Fire-type moves, and it improves my Groudon matchup so much in combination with Waterfall Ray and EP Groudon that it struggles to survive to actually hit Magearna. EVs are stolen from vgc 16 so probably need to adjust but lol.

Sample Team Preview:
Kill the Groudon: Ray + Magearna + Groudon + Kyogre
Big Ball of Stats: Ray + Arceus + Groudon + Kyogre
Mage Tail Room: Mew + Magearna + Ray + Groudon
Protect the Arceus: Mew + Arceus + Ray + Kyogre / Groudon

Last edited:
I will admit I have never played a single game of Ubers and have played perhaps two games of doubles. I have no idea about either so I really apologise if this is completely rubbish, but I thought I'd give it a try. Probably shit tho.

Kyogre-Primal @ Blue Orb
Ability: Primordial Sea
Level: 50
EVs: 236 HP / 4 Def / 244 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe
Quiet Nature
- Origin Pulse
- Protect
- Ice Beam
- Thunder

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Def / 116 SpA / 40 SpD / 12 Spe
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Dazzling Gleam
- Protect

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 252 HP / 100 SpD / 156 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Precipice Blades
- Fire Punch
- Overheat
- Swords Dance

Lunala @ Psychium Z
Ability: Shadow Shield
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Wide Guard
- Trick Room
- Moongeist Beam
- Psyshock

Yveltal @ Life Orb
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Foul Play
- Tailwind
- Protect

Tapu Lele @ Focus Sash
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Taunt

How to ermmm describe this team. It's based around putting out the maximum amount of damage with xerneas/primal kyogre with kind of a trick-room/tailwind dichotomy. I say this but because I've never tested this team, I have no idea if it actually works.

So yea, the members.

Primal-Kyogre - basically the speed is 101 I believe, just outspeeds tapu koko in tailwind, rest in hp/spa. Just hits like a truck I think, though I've never used this mon outside of randbats. The coverage there for all circumstances. Protect because I've heard that is pretty good in doubles. Also it allows your setter to get up tailwind/trick room without you dying.

Xerneas - Max hp, spdef to live overheat from pdon, defence kinda just takes hits better from mega ray like lo dragon ascent thingy. Dazzling gleam is just some spread. Might be worth changing protect for something specifically to hit pdon/dusk mane necrozma but I dont know.

Primal-Groudon - Check to opposing Pdon. Originally was 4 support move jirachi (follow me, dual screen, tr) but I thought team was too weak to necrozma dusk mane magearna etc. so I added this. Speed outspeeds 4 speed arceus. Rest in HP/Spdef. Thats about it really.

Lunala - Cool trick roomer. I thought shadow shield super good :). Wide guard can stop water spout/eruption shenanigans. Psychium-z for trick room without being taunted or nuke with z-psyshock. Psyshock just does slightly more to some spdef mons like ogre, hooh. Moongeist beam cause its good.

Yvetal - kind of a rubbish check to physical threats and also a tailwinder. Hit nice dark pulses onto necrozma, lunala etc. groudon/rayquaza do not like foul play. Life orb for the extra oomph. Tailwind works with p-ogre, can also allow xerneas to geo before special threats, lowering their damage.

Tapu lele - Just a disruptor. Focus sash or terrain extender both good here, I chose utility of focus sash. Stops Mega Ray extreme speed, fake out from zeraora or mew. Psychic terrain works well with like lunala. Taunt for setup sweepers.

I think. It magearna weak.

EDIT: Changed it a bit thanks to discord room (https://pokepast.es/d37db25a3e597ca7)

Have played 1 battle vs. rank 8 guy on ladder:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7battlespotspecial13-832972532

Last edited:
Rayquaza-Mega @ Focus Sash
Ability: Delta Stream
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Waterfall
- Dragon Ascent
- Extreme Speed

Kyogre-Primal @ Blue Orb
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 32 HP / 236 Atk / 64 Def / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Protect
- Ice Beam
- Thunder

Zeraora @ Air Balloon
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Quick Guard
- Electroweb
- Plasma Fists

Magearna @ Fairium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Dazzling Gleam
- Calm Mind
- Grass Knot

Hoopa-Unbound @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Magician
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Protect
- Hyperspace Fury
- Hyperspace Hole
- Dark Pulse

Necrozma-Dusk-Mane @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
- Trick Room
- Sunsteel Strike
- Photon Geyser
- Protect
I built a pseudo trick room team!!!

1541772310321.jpeg
When I started building this I wanted to use Pogre+M-Ray. They have great coverage together. These pokemon also control the weather.Ogre is physical for xern and mag. Sash ray is a force when it almost kos everything with dragon accent + espeed. Mega ray may not have much for steel types but ogre hits them hard and the main ones are beaten by Necrozma and hoopa. Switching into both of these pokemon is REALLY hard. Protect on ogre helps with ray and other pokemon trying to target it.

Next I wanted a fake out user. ONLY TWO are legal. Mew and Z wild cat. In a meta with with mray and yvetal I want Quick Guard for extreme speed and sucker punch fake out etc. This checks magearna where it can fake out to help another pokemon absorbs tbolts and can slow down shift gear sets. This is solid overal for speed control and breaking sashes.
1541772446105.jpeg
Then the trick room part. This helps with the fast meta and opposing tr. Magearna and dm deal with xern and mag. Hoopa is for power. It has 2 super strong Z moves off of base 170 and 160 attack stats. Hoopa also has a move that COMPLETELY bypasses protect in hyper space hole. IMO hoopa-U can not afford to run trick room but that is fine with protect and two other trick room users.grass knot on mag helps with don after decent damage and a boost or can just do damage to open up for DM. Necrozma Dusk Mane is Crazy. This can take V creates and Earthquakes from Mega ray. It can even take Select Groudon moves set up trick room and go for a +2 photon gyeser. With slight chip on everything Weakness policy DM destroys.

Replays:https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7battlespotspecial13-832871109 (vs some psycho with psych up)https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7battlespotspecial13-832869234 (some battle)https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7battlespotspecial13-832912755 (really hard game) https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7battlespotspecial13-832908751 (vs reshiram psyspam)

8monsareimpossible113163.4%1608 ± 99
So far ive gotten 8th(although not that many points) Im going for marilli :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)