Build that Core!

As of now, the BW OU metagame is defined by cores, both offensive and defensive. If one has taken a look at the recent usage statistics you will see that both Rotom-W and Scizor are above 30% in usage (22.4% and 29.4% respectively). The next closest to rotom-w, ferrothorn, is below Rotom-W by 3%, a pretty significant amount! This is no coincidence, Rotom-W and Scizor form the offensive core of ScizorWash, used on (by my estimate) 15% of teams in BW OU. Another popular and new core that is popular in BW is Ferrocent. Both Ferrothorn and Jellicent cover eachother's weakness perfectly and provide moves that can shut down many offensive threats, making it an excellent defensive core. Their popularly clearly shows how effective and useful cores can be in the metagame.

This thread is to showcase cores that have been made by yourself and/or the community. We will be take one Pokemon and build around it by giving teammates that synergize with the Pokemon well, but can perform various tasks that work well together and ultimately contribute to letting your team win. These cores can be offensive and defensive in nature, but they must follow the characteristics inherent of every core. You should list these characteristics when you showcase your's:

- How do these Pokemon's typings synergize well?
- Individually, what are each individual Pokemon's role in the core?
- Ultimately, how do each of these Pokemon's role contribute to winning?
- What can counter your core and how does it get defeated? This question will help build upon and improve our cores.

I believe by showcasing each others cores, as well helping each other improve upon another person's core, we can improve the construction of our teams as well as improve on our teambuilding skills. To start us off, I will give us the defining defensive Pokemon of this generation, Ferrothorn.

The cores we will be posting will be 2-3 Pokemon. When you showcase the core, make sure you tell us what they do and how they synergize by answering the questions above. Good luck and build that core! :toast:

canno

formerly The Reptile
Haven't tried it myself, but how good is SkarmBliss in Gen 5?

Don't think SkarmBliss (Skarmory + Blissey) needs an explanation.

BTzz

spams overhand rights
is a Contributor Alumnus

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Trait: Snow Cloak
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear
- Earthquake
- Frustration

+

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SpA)
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute
- Waterfall
- Bounce

+

Magnezone @ Leftovers
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 152 HP / 180 SpA / 176 Spd
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Magic Coat

A pretty simple offensive core. Mamoswine and Gyarados share great type synergy while being 2 solid sweepers in general. This combo is only walled by Skarmory and Ferrothorn which is where Magnezone comes in. With Magic Coat, Mag can even get some Spikes from a trapped Ferro to aid a sweep. Rotom is kind of annoying for this core, but Mamo's Frustration 2HKOs. I like to play this in the rain, but it works just fine on any team, baring Sun I guess.

Not sure how efficient it could be, but a core of Cresselia/Blissey could work really well. There's different ways to go about your healing with the two, but Cresselia walls pretty much every physical wall, and brushes off special attacks to boot. Not to mention it being a psychic gives it easy wins against fighting types that Blissey hates. Also Cresselia's mixed wall stats keep stress off of Blissey. Cresselia also appreciates aromatherapy/heal bell.

Not sure how efficient it could be, but a core of Cresselia/Blissey could work really well. There's different ways to go about your healing with the two, but Cresselia walls pretty much every physical wall, and brushes off special attacks to boot. Not to mention it being a psychic gives it easy wins against fighting types that Blissey hates. Also Cresselia's mixed wall stats keep stress off of Blissey. Cresselia also appreciates aromatherapy/heal bell.
That core kinda gets wrecked by nearly any form of Tyranitar and SubSplitGar, two very significant threats.

That core kinda gets wrecked by nearly any form of Tyranitar and SubSplitGar, two very significant threats.
Not really; Gengar doesn't even *beat* Blissey, it just bothers it. The only dangerous TTars are those that are either a) CB or b) carry Superpower. What Bliss / Cress is wrecked by is Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Jirachi.

Most good teams in all generations have used this 'core' idea, but what exactly does that have to do with Ferrothorn being the defining pokemon of this gen? Ferrothorn is without a doubt the most popular defensive pokemon currently used in the meta game, but I'm not sure how you tied that to having a good core.

For my core?

a geodude with explosion, a magikarp with a focus sash and flail, and sableye with the typical troll set.

Most good teams in all generations have used this 'core' idea, but what exactly does that have to do with Ferrothorn being the defining pokemon of this gen? Ferrothorn is without a doubt the most popular defensive pokemon currently used in the meta game, but I'm not sure how you tied that to having a good core.
What I meant by having the Ferrothorn in their was that we were supposed to build a core around it. After that we would post another poke to build a core around Ferrothorn was just an easy poke to start with to build a core around but then the thread got derailed a bit :s

That sub magic coat magnezone is so evil lol.
Anyway, interesting topic, for me ''builder jerks'' at least, cores always fascinated me, so I may throw my two cents:

Dragonite (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP / 236 SDef / 20 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Dragon Tail
- Roost
- Thunder Wave

Jirachi (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SDef / 32 Spd
- Iron Head
- Body Slam
- Wish
- Stealth Rock

Machamp (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- DynamicPunch
- Bulk Up
- Ice Punch

I was testing this core for some weeks, the strategy is kinda dp-esque when so many teams were ''paraconfusion''
Basically you paralyze the majority of the opponent team (dragonite here is very useful by twaving and shuffling, Jirachi is kinda the glue, setting up sr (abusing the switch created by paralysis or dpunch) wish to recharge team members, body slam to of course paralys and iron head for for flinch abuse, also main stab, Machamp is kinda different for the on-site set, since it is a sub+bulk up version, but seriously once the opponent are paralysed and confused they can't do anyhiting, you set-up a substitute, watch things die, and when you're sure you bulk up for more power, clearly this cores shows the difference between conkeldurr and machamp, since conk doesn't have dat dynamicpunch.
Ice Punch because Gliscor is a bitch for this kind of team, sadly
For team options, you may consider a spiker like Ferrothorn, Skarmory or even the underdog Deoxys-d, it makes you your ''phazing'' abuse overall better, ferrothorn also helps you vs jellicent.

Not really; Gengar doesn't even *beat* Blissey, it just bothers it. The only dangerous TTars are those that are either a) CB or b) carry Superpower. What Bliss / Cress is wrecked by is Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Jirachi.
Sadly, SubSplit Gengar fucks Blissey.

I like a Swampert+Zapdos offensive core. I'll edit a real explanation when I'm not using an ipod, but their stats and types work together well both on offense and defense.

EDIT: I've been running these sets as my core on my most recent team:

Swampert @Leftovers
Adamant Nature
Torrent
252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def
>Waterfall
>Earthquake
>Ice Punch
>Stealth Rock

I use Swampert as an early game lead and mid game tank, obviously depending on the other team's lead. With the departure of Deoxys-S, I find I can lead with Swampert much more often than I previously could. Usually, Swampert is one of my key switchins to Fire, Ground, Rock...basically anything he resists. Swampert is also fairly powerful on offense, packing 350 attack to smack enemies around with. I like this set for its reliability.

Zapdos @Life Orb
Timid Nature
Pressure
4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
>Thunderbolt
>Heat Wave
>HP Ice/HP Grass
>Roost

Zapdos is like the Spanish Inquisition; nobody expects it.

**crickets**

Anyways, this set packs a surprising amount of punch and bulk. I couldn't tell you the number of times (at my low ranking) somebody switched in a Ferrothorn hoping to wall the hell out of it, only to get fried for a OHKO by Heat Wave. I've also gotten my share of "WTF hax" from opponents when they see it tanking things it has no right to tank (stalled an Aggron out of Stone Edge lolz).

The two sets pair well with each other, as Zapdos comes in on any suspected Grass attacks on Swampert, while Swampert comes in on Rock and Electric attacks that could hurt Zapdos badly.

I like a Swampert+Zapdos offensive core. I'll edit a real explanation when I'm not using an ipod, but their stats and types work together well both on offense and defense.
Throw in Jirachi to pass Wishes to Swampert and as an Ice resist, and you've got a solid core right there. I can see it having issues with Rain teams/abusers though, especially Starmie.

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Trait: Snow Cloak
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear
- Earthquake
- Frustration

+

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SpA)
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute
- Waterfall
- Bounce

+

Magnezone @ Leftovers
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 152 HP / 180 SpA / 176 Spd
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Magic Coat

A pretty simple offensive core. Mamoswine and Gyarados share great type synergy while being 2 solid sweepers in general. This combo is only walled by Skarmory and Ferrothorn which is where Magnezone comes in. With Magic Coat, Mag can even get some Spikes from a trapped Ferro to aid a sweep. Rotom is kind of annoying for this core, but Mamo's Frustration 2HKOs. I like to play this in the rain, but it works just fine on any team, baring Sun I guess.
I can vouch for GyaraSwine. SubBounce Gyarados sweeps with ridiculous ease (especially under rain), but he happens to be utterly cockblocked by one all-too-common mon, Rotom-W. Happily, Mamoswine handily lures Rotom in and disposes of him with Return, leaving the path clear for Gyarados.

However, I do think that Magnezone is a bit contradictory to strategy here. While getting rid of Ferrothorn is extremely helpful for Gyarados, he also discourages Scizor from Bullet Punching, which is one of the best opportunities for Gyarados to set up. While Gyarados can set up on a number of other things, like bulky waters, SpD Jirachi, and Gliscor, against an offensive team it can often be his only chance.

Sadly, SubSplit Gengar fucks Blissey.
HOW? Assuming Focus Miss as the second attack, Blissey can just wait until it runs out of PP by spamming Twave/Toxic/SToss/SR. With only 8 PP, once Gengar only has Sub/Split/Shadowball anything that resists can come in and force it out, even worse: anything with sub can fuck over his pain split

HOW? Assuming Focus Miss as the second attack, Blissey can just wait until it runs out of PP by spamming Twave/Toxic/SToss/SR. With only 8 PP, once Gengar only has Sub/Split/Shadowball anything that resists can come in and force it out, even worse: anything with sub can fuck over his pain split
The point is that Gengar can PP stall Blissey, while Blissey can do nothing in return.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
SubSplit Gengar beats Blissey because Blissey literally has nothing to use against it unless it runs an offensive move (i.e. Flamethrower, Ice Beam, etc.) while Gengar can spam Pain Split to great effect.

NINJA'D DAMMIT

Anyway, Magneton + Magnezone works quite well as a supportive core. Both Pokemon can remove Steel Pokemon from the match to allow other Pokemon (particularly Dragons) to have a field day.

Here's the Trick Room core I use.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP/4 SpAtk/252 SpDef (0 Spe IV)
Nature: Sassy
Ability: Trace

~ Ice Beam
~ Magic Coat/Thunderbolt
~ Trick Room
~ Recover

Jellicent @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SpDef (0 Spe IV)
Nature: Relaxed
Ability: Water Absorb

~ Scald
~ Will-O-Wisp/Taunt
~ Trick Room
~ Recover

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
EVs: 176 HP/80 Def/252 SpAtk (0 Spe IV)
Nature: Quiet
Ability: Magic Guard

~ Trick Room
~ Psychic
~ Focus Blast
~ Shadow Ball/Hidden Power [Fire]

With these three, I can safely set up Trick Room against nearly every Pokemon and begin sweeping with my other slow Pokemon. All of the moves with slashes on them worked out well when I first used these Pokemon but I've found that they don't work as well since the metagame changed.

Porygon2's Magic Coat was originally used to bounce back Taunts and entry hazards used by apposing leads but with Deoxys-S gone and less and less people leading with Ferrothorn, it hasn't been as useful. There are times when I really need to burn the apposing Pokemon and others where it would really help if I Taunted them so I'm not sure about Jellicent. And I was using Shadow Ball on Reuniclus to take out apposing Psychic and Ghost-types but Scizor tends to be a much bigger problem.

Politoed (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Perish Song

Breloom (M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 200 SDef / 56 Spd
- Bulk Up
- Spore
- Drain Punch
- Seed Bomb

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Thunder
- Water Pulse

The best core i have ever find! Gastrodon block jirachi,breloom can easy destruct it, politoed for the rain.

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
A "Core" in the BW OU metagame is difficult to execute effectively in the long run considering it takes say for example, Gengar with Shadow Ball and Focus Blast, to be able to hit which ever several Pokemon you wish to include in your mainstay for type coverage. I guess this is why when I focus on a solid build to work around, it's quite the opposite of what a "core" represents; essentially Scizor/Rotom-W covers the weaknesses of one another but offensively the strategy to turn/change is keeping the momentum of your "backbone" in tact whilst also maintaining pressure into having more control than your traditional FWG core you gathered together in order to invite attacks you are never guaranteed to successfully overcome anyway.

A "Core" in the BW OU metagame is difficult to execute effectively in the long run considering it takes say for example, Gengar with Shadow Ball and Focus Blast, to be able to hit which ever several Pokemon you wish to include in your mainstay for type coverage. I guess this is why when I focus on a solid build to work around, it's quite the opposite of what a "core" represents; essentially Scizor/Rotom-W covers the weaknesses of one another but offensively the strategy to turn/change is keeping the momentum of your "backbone" in tact whilst also maintaining pressure into having more control than your traditional FWG core you gathered together in order to invite attacks you are never guaranteed to successfully overcome anyway.
I hope I didn't misinterpret what you are saying, but I definitely agree about maintaining your momentum and pressure. Part of the success of winning in battles is having the opponent react to you; rather than you having to react to them. I think that is one of he particular reasons why scizorwash is so popular.

But I think the ideas of what "the core" represents are still relevant. The point is that your core is built well-enough in order to have the ability to shift momentum to you. That's what well-built cores are all about, having a strategy that a group of 3 pokemon accomplish consistently in order to move momentum to your side.

With this in mind, I want to move this thread in a different direction to differtiate itself from the thread Burning Man posted. Instead of just listing out cores, we should try as a "community effort" to build a core from a given Pokemon. I'm leaning more towards Pokemon that aren't very common in OU, but still have a presence in OU.

The way this will work is that I'll start us off with a Pokemon. From there, we will build a core and there will be some sort (post or two) of discussion of what it needs from its partners and what synergy it needs. Once we discuss/test what are good partners for it someone will post a core. If it is a good core (i.e. fulfills the "4 questions" and been tested) that poster we will post a new pokemon to build a defensive or offensive pokemon to build a 2-3 pokemon core out of. This process continues to the next core, etc.

So, to fire up this "new style" I'd l am recommending the other, neglected starter of Sandstorm in OU. He's OU viable and with a great core I think he can make some impact on his usage: Hippowdon.

[pimg]455[/pimg]

Remember that when you build/post these cores from a given Pokemon we make sure to accomplish fulfilling the four questions:
- How do these Pokemon's typings synergize well?
- Individually, what are each individual Pokemon's role in the core?
- Ultimately, how do each of these Pokemon's role contribute to winning?
- What can counter your core and how does it get defeated? This question will help build upon and improve our cores.

^Sounds cool.

i don't have many ideas for a combo with hippowdon... Maybe Starmie or Jirachi (especially special defensive versions)?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)