BW2 General Metagame Discussion Thread

Personally, I think Kyurem-B should run a physical Dragon STAB over Fusion Bolt, since Ice Beam and Earth Power 2HKO most Steel-types anyway. Your bulky Waters are 2HKOed by Outrage as well, while Ice Beam 2HKOes Gyarados.
Specs Politoed OHKOes 56 HP Kyurem-B 43,75% of the time with Focus Blast WITHOUT Stealth Rock. Kyu-B's Fusion Bolt always outspeeds and OHKOes that Politoed with SR

Much like it was already said, you can run a Dragon-type move, but it depends on what you want Kyurem-B to check

Bluwing

icequeen
is a Tutor Alumnus
Kyurem-B is by far the most dangerous pokemon when beeing behind a sub, and with it's great coverage moves and great ability there is really nothing that can beat it, especially in hail as hail negatates Leftovers recovery. Kyu-B also has amazing base Atk and SpA that lets it hit so incredibly hard. And as Shurtugal said having the ability to beat Multiscale and Levitate is incredibly noticable and also helps Kyu-B having more intact subtitutes as without it's ability would have been walled a lot easier. Another cool thing about Kyu-B is that he can have 101 Subtitutes and those are incredibly bulky which are maby the biggest factor for Kyu-B beeing the best Substituter in OU.

I've tried a Sub Mixed Cube set like that, and Fusion Bolt is superior in most of the situations I encountered. The main problem with running a Dragon STAB is that Outrage locks you in, which is something that a Substitute attacker like Kyurem doesn't want, as it can force you to switch out with a sub intact, wasting the offensive pressure and wall breaking spree that Kyurem could've been on. On the other hand, an unboosted Dragon Claw just doesn't hit hard enough on neutral targets (i.e. the main things you would use it on). Meanwhile, Fusion Bolt gives you an excellent super effective coverage move, which is definitely a a great boon on a powerful mixed attacker. The two special moves (Ice Beam and Earth Power) get great neutral coverage, so I've always found the extra neutral coverage move to be unnecessary.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I've actually never used kyu-b since suspect testing. That set sounds interesting; what EVs/nature are you running?
The Sub set usually has 56 HP EVs and 236 Spe EVs to outspeed max Speed Mamo and make 101 HP Subs. The you can put the remaining EVs in whichever offensive stat you want. The moveset of the sub set consists of Sub, Fusion Bolt, and Ice Beam. In the last slot more people use Earth Power, but HP Fire and Focus Blast are very good coverage moves as well. You can also use Dragon Claw in the last slot, and put the leftovers EVs in Atk to make it hit as hard as possible, but the coverage moves for Steel types are usually better. Leftovers is the best item, but if you find its power lacking, Life Orb and Expert Belt are good options too.

Ojama

Banned deucer.

Kyurem-Black@Leftovers
Trait : Teravolt
Evs : 252 HP / 24 Atk / 232 SDef
Sassy (+SDef ; -Spd)
- Ice Beam
- Dragon Tail
- Substitute
- Roost

This set is probably Kyurem-B's best set because it's both able to take hits like a monster and makes really good damage with DTail + Ice Beam. People think Sub Kyu-b is running dtail + epower so they obviously send in Skarmory or Lando-T/Gliscor and they get fucked by Ice Beam. The Evs spread is kinda standard, the 232 sdef evs allow Kyurem-Black's Substitute to not get broken by Surf from Keldeo in Rain. It takes like 75% max on Focus Blast from Landorus and 50-59% on Hurricane from SpecsTornadus. This thing is really underrated, give it a try and you'll see how strong it is.

It's better to run careful and a pinch of speed. This way you can sub before tentacruel and politoed scald you, and also so you can outphaze skarmory. I prefer running hone claws over ice beam anyway, since it makes dragon tail really powerful and prevents it from untimely misses. At +1 you are doing upwards 60% to terrakion so multiple hazards and dragon tail bring all types of teams down quickly. Land-T and gliscor would rarely switch in on cube due to the fear of ice beam.

Lavos

Banned deucer.
agreeing with eggbert in that you either need to run speed on that thing to outspeed tenta or run a cleric on the same team as kyu-b, otherwise if that thing takes a single scald burn or toxic it's essentially useless. pretty amazing though that it only takes 75% max from sheer force lando's focus blast and then ohkos back with ice beam. i'm glad you showed the public this set, ojama, because i feel that for too long people have been utilizing kyurem-b as a completely offensive threat and have ignored its staggering 125 / 100 / 90 defenses, plus its access to dragon tail and roost. the only problem i have with this set is kyurem-b's questionable typing. i understand this particular set is fantastic against rain since kyu-b resists water and its sub won't even be broken by keldeo's rain-boosted surf, but it seems like against a sand offense team, for example, it'll be mostly dead weight. i suppose it could surprise landorus or lando-t with ice beam, or maybe catch terrakion trying to set up on it and phaze it out, but beyond that...i dunno. seems like good team partners would be your everyday rain balance team, i.e. politoed, tentacruel, ferrothorn, jirachi. i'd like to hear what you use, ojama, as support for your kyurem-b set.

some calcs indicate that kyurem-b is still doing about 185% damage to landorus even with a careful nature, so yeah, consider doing that.

Ojama

Banned deucer.
I use this Kyurem-B set on a Rain Stall : Politoed / T-Spikes Tentacruel / Landorus-T / Ferrothorn / Zapdos / Kyurem-B. This Team has a few weaknesses especially the double SR weakness with Zapdos and Kyu-B but it works very well. Using it is cool since it's, in my opinion, an original rain stall.

I used Sub Hone Claws Kyurem-B on my stall team consisting of Hippowdon, Celebi, Skarmory, Sableye and Tetacruel and it worked pretty awesome. It was something like this IIRC.

Kyurem-B @ Leftovers
Trait: Teravolt
EVs: 200 HP / 156 Def / 140 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Hone Claws
- Substitute
- Dragon Tail
- Roost

You coul basically come in on a resist, set-up a sub and then just shuffle the opponent racking up residual and hazards damage. With that spread, Kyurem-B survives a Choice Band Bullet Punch from Scizor after Rocks and phaze it away with Dragon Tail. Also, it forms a pretty formidable core with Celebi and Tetacruel, resisting each others weaknesses pretty nicely.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
So, deoxys-D has been banned. What does everything think this means for the progression of the metagame? Will it turn out exactly like the suspect metagame, with weather as a dominant force? What new styles will emerge? Personally, I'm hoping defensive play gets used a bit more due to hyper offense taking a bit of a blow.

Weather has been the dominant force since September 18th, 2010, don't try and kid anyone. Even with Deo-S and then Deo-D Hyper Offense, weather was better. Now that we've gotten rid of all the red herrings maybe we can finally make a half-way decent OU metagame.

Of course, knowing how the suspect trend has gone we're more likely to see Soul Dew made legal and then Latios and Latias suspected before Drizzle and Drought.

Well, I predict 60% of teams will be running weather at the end of March. I doubt Soul Dew will be allowed to be tested; it would give the Latis waaaay too much of a boon and be able to switch up moves while having a free CM boost. The main thing is, now that Deo-D is gone, what direction do we have to go in to achieve a balanced meta? Should we buff some weathers or should we try to help weatherless out?

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
oh kyurem-b. more like kyurem-bulky:

Kyurem-B @ Life Orb
Trait: Teravolt
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SAtk / 136 Spd
Modest Nature
- Roost
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam

Kyurem-B is a BULKY Pokemon. Standard mixed sets just squander this bulk so I prefer this set. Roost means you can stall out foes and counter stuff like Starmie and Jolteon in rain. It means more SR switch-ins. It means Terrakion used Close Combat! Kyurem-B lost 92% of its health! This means Scarf Keldeo Secret Sword doesn't OHKO. It still has all the offensive power it needs, with Fusion Bolt OHKOing the relevant bulky Water-types and Ice Beam + Earth Power doing the rest. Speed outruns Adamant Dragonite and Mamoswine because fuck them.

EDIT: also annoyed at deo-d ban FREE EXCADRILL

Shame that it got banned. No one really had a concrete reason imo.

Anyways we are still going to see the same ttar + lati@s + uturners + keldeo sand teams and rain. I think volcarona will become an extremely good pokemon as most teams get outright 6-0ed with it after 2 QDs. Dragons are still very strong and HO can still thrive with reasonable alternatives like skarmory. Overall this is a good tournament B/W metagame. Weather will always be OP and we always will need checks and counters for it. But overall I don't really see the need to have anything suspected unless it is weather or bringing something down (i think blaziken should get another look).... Lets see what these guys come up with.

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Not sure why people at lamenting about the fact that Deoxys-D isn't going to see use in Ubers If Deoxys-S, Deoxys-A, and Deoxys-N didn't exist, I'm sure it'd see use. Hell even Deoxys-N doesn't see use because it's outclassed.

Not to mention the whole we don't ban based on viability in ubers blah blah blah

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Weather has been the dominant force since September 18th, 2010, don't try and kid anyone.
I meant that in the suspect thread, people complained about rain being the only team used at all. I never really knew, not participating myself, but people seemed to say weather was even more overused than always. I'm not silly enough to think that deoxys was the only thing keeping weather from completely monopolizing the game.

I meant that in the suspect thread, people complained about rain being the only team used at all. I never really knew, not participating myself, but people seemed to say weather was even more overused than always. I'm not silly enough to think that deoxys was the only thing keeping weather from completely monopolizing the game.
Oh, okay. Well, Deo-D HO was very good and very easy to use, so people used that. With that being gone, the players that didn't already use weather have moved on to weather now that Deoxys is finally gone from OU, so, naturally that will create fewer team archetypes (try and run Ferrothorn/Forretress HO like you would Deo-D, I dare you) and the best archetypes will be used the most.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus

Kyurem-Black@Leftovers
Trait : Teravolt
Evs : 252 HP / 24 Atk / 232 SDef
Sassy (+SDef ; -Spd)
- Ice Beam
- Dragon Tail
- Substitute
- Roost

<set Description>
You know what? I have found that the Normal Kyurem does this thing better. The slightly higer Special attack + pressure stall really makes it much more effective since you usually rely on Low PP moves like Focus Blast and Stone Edge to do any amount of major Damage.
IMHO Normal Kyurem does this better.

Dark Fallen Angel

FIDDLESTICKS IS ALSO GOOD ON MID!
You know what? I have found that the Normal Kyurem does this thing better. The slightly higer Special attack + pressure stall really makes it much more effective since you usually rely on Low PP moves like Focus Blast and Stone Edge to do any amount of major Damage.
I have been using a version of that set with Hone Claws instead of Ice Beam, but I can't say which one is the better. The slighty higher physical bulk and higher Attack are two great advantages, but there are so many times where I greatly missed Pressure (which on this set would be much more useful than Teravolt). Is the regular Kyurem better at using the Hone Claws + Dragon Tail SubRoost set?

SubRoost stall/shuffling is Normal Kyurem's job, that's for sure. You can stall out Gyroballs, CCs, and Focus blasts.

Sub 3 attacks is much better for Kyu-B since you can use it's ability to increase your coverage. Although he does have 4mss, its more picking which you want to either kill okayish, or DESTROY.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
I have been using a version of that set with Hone Claws instead of Ice Beam, but I can't say which one is the better. The slighty higher physical bulk and higher Attack are two great advantages, but there are so many times where I greatly missed Pressure (which on this set would be much more useful than Teravolt). Is the regular Kyurem better at using the Hone Claws + Dragon Tail SubRoost set?
If you're looking to sweep/damage phaze with insanely powerful Dragon tails then Kyu-B's definitely the better pick. No question. If you manage to boost up with your Sub intact you'll be wreaking shit left right and center.

Normal Kyurem is pure sub-roost stall. Even though I prefer Dragon +Ice/Ground coverage specially rather than phazing. Let's be real. unless you are Scizor you're going to be PP stalled.

Wait, I thought kyurem b is a purely physical attacker. I understand the idea behind a sub roost set but don't quite get the reason not to abuse that monstrous attack stat.

Wait, I thought kyurem b is a purely physical attacker. I understand the idea behind a sub roost set but don't quite get the reason not to abuse that monstrous attack stat.
He's still got base 120 Special Attack which is damn good and makes him one of the best mixed attackers in the game.

Take a look at its physical movepool and it makes more sense. Kyurem-B has Dragon STAB, Fusion Bolt, and... That's really it. On CB sets, Kyu-B resorts to Rock Smash for coverage. Its much more useful to use a mixed or bulky set and take advantage of the nice defenses and mixed offenses, rather than go full physical and be let down by the slowish speed and lacking coverage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)