OU Calm Mind Hatterene (QC: 2/2) (GP: 1/1)

[SET]
name: Calm Mind
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Draining Kiss
move 3: Psyshock / Stored Power
move 4: Mystical Fire / Nuzzle
item: Leftovers
tera type: Water / Fire
ability: Magic Bounce
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 204 Def / 52 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Calm Mind Hatterene is an excellent option on balance teams to deny entry hazards from being set up. With Magic Bounce, it can switch into and reflect entry hazards from Pokemon such as Great Tusk, Ting-Lu, and Blissey. From there, it can begin setting up Calm Mind to pose a greater threat itself and overwhelm the opponent's defensive answers to it. Draining Kiss acts as pseudo-recovery and can help Hatterene heal off damage it's taken from Pokemon such as Ting-Lu and Great Tusk. Psyshock allows Hatterene to deal high damage to special walls such as Blissey and Clodsire and win potential setup wars against other Hatterene and Volcarona. Stored Power fulfills a similar role to Psyshock in enabling Hatterene to break through special walls and other Calm Mind users and can also help Hatterene defeat various Unaware Pokemon such as Skeledirge and Dondozo, but it requires Hatterene to set up multiple Calm Minds before it becomes truly potent. Mystical Fire deals high damage to many of Hatterene's common switch-ins such as Gholdengo, Corviknight, and Kingambit and has the nice bonus of lowering the target's Special Attack, which is particularly useful against Gholdengo that aren't running Covert Cloak. Nuzzle is another option to cripple switch-ins with paralysis, which can act as useful speed control for Hatterene's teammates. Tera Water nullifies all of Hatterene's weaknesses, which can grant it more opportunities to use Calm Mind against its checks such as Gholdengo, while Tera Fire can similarly neutralize all of Hatterene's weaknesses and comes with additional benefits such as boosting the damage of its Mystical Fire and letting it check Iron Valiant and Volcarona better. However, Tera Fire also comes with notable downsides, namely giving Hatterene a weakness to Ground-type moves and Stealth Rock, which can hinder its matchups against common entry hazard setters. The EV spread allows Hatterene to move reliably switch into physical attacks from common entry hazard setters while also outspeeding Toxapex and Garganacl.

Hatterene's ability to discourage the use of entry hazards will be appreciated by almost any team. Pokemon vulnerable to entry hazards and those that frequently pivot in and out of battle such as Meowscarada, Gholdengo, Garganacl, Iron Moth, and Dragapult enjoy Hatterene's support. Entry hazard removers such as Great Tusk and Corviknight are also good partners, as Hatterene's presence can ease the burden placed on them to remove entry hazards and grants the team greater flexibility in dealing with entry hazard setters. Furthermore, while Hatterene can switch into entry hazard setters such as Ting-Lu and Great Tusk, it can be worn down quickly from their repeated Ground-type attacks. Great Tusk and Corviknight can reduce Hatterene's need to switch in as often by acting as alternative switch-ins. Due to relying on Leftovers and Draining Kiss for recovery, Hatterene can struggle stay healthy, particularly if it loses its Leftovers to Knock Off or is hit by Salt Cure, so it is recommended to have teammates that can switch into these moves. Corviknight can switch into Knock Off from hazard setters such as Meowscarada and Great Tusk, while Covert Cloak Gholdengo can neutralize Salt Cure. Pokemon holding Rocky Helmet such as Corviknight can be troublesome for Hatterene, as they will wear Hatterene down when it uses Nuzzle or Draining Kiss. Covert Cloak users, especially Gholdengo, are similarly irritating for Hatterene due to nullifying the secondary effect of its Nuzzle or Mystical Fire. Knock Off support from Meowscarada, Great Tusk, or Iron Valiant is thus appreciated to remove these items from the opponent's Pokemon. Hatterene's weakness to Steel- and Ghost-type attacks can be exploited by strong attackers such as Gholdengo, Dragapult, and Kingambit. Kingambit and Tera Water Garganacl can reliably switch into Gholdengo and Dragapult, while Great Tusk and Dondozo can counter Kingambit.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Magcargo, 177111]]
- Quality checked by: [[tpp, 260369], [chimp, 197439]]
- Grammar checked by: [[lumari, 232216]]

Last edited:

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hey, might want to move this out of WIP. Was ignoring it cuz I didn't know it was ready for QC. Will check in a bit. Thanks!

Hey, might want to move this out of WIP. Was ignoring it cuz I didn't know it was ready for QC. Will check in a bit. Thanks!
Its actually still in WIP. I haven't finished writing the second paragraph due to work + other stuff coming up. Will have it ready tonight for sure though.

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
With Magic Bounce, It can switch into and deflect entry hazards from Pokemon such as Great Tusk, Ting-Lu, and Blissey.
I was gonna say blissey is rare and to put something else over it, but everything else could threaten hat one way or other, so I think this sentence is fine. Mainly adding this in case someone else wanted to change it.
and has the nice bonus of lowering the opponent's Special Attack, which is particularly useful against Gholdengo
I would either add "non-cloak gholdengo", or maybe look for another mention, since Cloak is very common on Gholdengo and does ignore the Mystical Fire drop.
Tera Fire can similarly neutralize all of Hatterene's weaknesses and comes with additional benefits such as boosting the damage of its Mystical Fire and letting it check Iron Valiant and Volcarona better, but also comes with notable downsides, namely giving Hatterene a weakness to Ground-Type moves and Stealth Rock, which can hinder its match-ups against common entry hazard setters.
I think this sentence is really long and could be split into 2.

Pokemon vulnerable to entry hazards such as Meowscarada, Gholdengo, Garganacl, Iron Moth, and Dragapult enjoy Hatterene's support in order to more freely pivot in and out of battle.
I think you can reword this to something like "pokemon vulnerable to hazards and those that pivot in and out like appreciate hat's support." Basically the idea is to tell us what pokemon group you're referring to before listing them.
Hatterene can also be worn down by taking repeated Ground-type attacks from entry hazard setters such as Ting-Lu and Iron Treads, so Great Tusk and Corviknight can assist it against these Pokemon.
I think Garchomp > Treads could work, since Treads is technically a Steel-type, or just mention Great Tusk instead. You could word it in a way like "While Hatterene can switch into hazard setters like Ting-Lu and Great Tusk, it can be quickly worn down from taking repeated Ground-type attacks. As such, teammates like Great Tusk and Corviknight can help Hatterene from needing to switch in as often.
Rocky Helmet such as Corviknight can be troublesome for Hatterene, as they will wear Hatterene down when it uses Nuzzle or Draining Kiss.
I think this is okay to mention, but alternatively, you could mention other ways Hat struggles with staying healthy, which would include taking Knock Off from Tusk, and taking Salt Cure from Rocks Garg.
Covert Cloak users such as Gholdengo are similar irritating for Hatterene due to nullifying the secondary effect of its Nuzzle or Mystical Fire. Knock Off support from Meowscarada, Iron Treads, or Iron Valiant is thus appreciated to remove these items from the opponent's Pokemon.
I think you could do "Covert Cloak users, especially Gholdengo" since it's the main one Hat hates and it doesn't mind the others that much. Tusk > Iron Treads works since Tusk is extremely common and likely to be running Knock Off anyways.

Rest is good, so good job.

QC 1/2 after this is implemented

I was gonna say blissey is rare and to put something else over it, but everything else could threaten hat one way or other, so I think this sentence is fine. Mainly adding this in case someone else wanted to change it.

I would either add "non-cloak gholdengo", or maybe look for another mention, since Cloak is very common on Gholdengo and does ignore the Mystical Fire drop.

I think this sentence is really long and could be split into 2.

I think you can reword this to something like "pokemon vulnerable to hazards and those that pivot in and out like appreciate hat's support." Basically the idea is to tell us what pokemon group you're referring to before listing them.

I think Garchomp > Treads could work, since Treads is technically a Steel-type, or just mention Great Tusk instead. You could word it in a way like "While Hatterene can switch into hazard setters like Ting-Lu and Great Tusk, it can be quickly worn down from taking repeated Ground-type attacks. As such, teammates like Great Tusk and Corviknight can help Hatterene from needing to switch in as often.

I think this is okay to mention, but alternatively, you could mention other ways Hat struggles with staying healthy, which would include taking Knock Off from Tusk, and taking Salt Cure from Rocks Garg.

I think you could do "Covert Cloak users, especially Gholdengo" since it's the main one Hat hates and it doesn't mind the others that much. Tusk > Iron Treads works since Tusk is extremely common and likely to be running Knock Off anyways.

Rest is good, so good job.

QC 1/2 after this is implemented
Implemented. Thanks for the sentence suggestions too. Was struggling on how to word some of these points.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 1/1
GP Team done
[SET]
name: Calm Mind
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Draining Kiss
move 3: Psyshock / Stored Power
move 4: Mystical Fire / Nuzzle
item: Leftovers
tera type: Water / Fire
ability: Magic Bounce
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 204 Def / 52 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Calm Mind Hatterene is an excellent option on balance teams to deny entry hazards from being set up. With Magic Bounce, it can switch into and deflect reflect entry hazards from Pokemon such as Great Tusk, Ting-Lu, and Blissey. From there, it can begin setting up Calm Mind to pose a greater threat itself and overwhelm the opponent's defensive answers to it. Draining Kiss acts as pseudo-recovery (AH) and can help Hatterene heal off damage its it's taken from Pokemon such as Ting-Lu and Great Tusk. Psyshock allows Hatterene to deal high damage to special walls such as Blissey and Clodsire and win potential setup wars against other Hatterene and Volcarona. Stored Power fulfills a similar role to Psyshock in enabling Hatterene to break through special walls and other Calm Mind users and can also help Hatterene defeat various Unaware Pokemon such as Skeledirge and Dondozo, but it requires Hatterene to setup set up multiple Calm Minds before it becomes truly potent. Mystical Fire deals high damage to many of Hatterene's common switch-ins such as Gholdengo, Corviknight, and Kingambit and has the nice bonus of lowering the opponent's target's Special Attack, which is particularly useful against Gholdengo that aren't running Covert Cloak. Nuzzle is another option to cripple switch-ins with paralysis, which can act as useful speed control for Hatterene's teammates. Tera Water nullifies all of Hatterene's weaknesses, which can grant it more opportunities to use Calm Mind against its checks such as Gholdengo, (comma) while Tera Fire can similarly neutralize all of Hatterene's weaknesses and comes with additional benefits such as boosting the damage of its Mystical Fire and letting it check Iron Valiant and Volcarona better. However, Tera Fire (RH) also comes with notable downsides, namely giving Hatterene a weakness to Ground-type moves and Stealth Rock, which can hinder its match-ups matchups against common entry hazard setters. The EV spread allows Hatterene to move reliably switch into physical attacker attacks from common entry hazard setters while also outspeeding Toxapex and Garganacl.

Hatterene's ability to discourage the use of entry hazards will be appreciated by almost any team. Pokemon vulnerable to entry hazards and those that frequently pivot in and out of battle such as Meowscarada, Gholdengo, Garganacl, Iron Moth, and Dragapult enjoy Hatterene's support. Entry hazard removers such as Great Tusk and Corviknight are also good partners, as Hatterene's presence can ease the burden placed on them to remove entry hazards and grants the team greater flexibility in dealing with entry hazard setters. Furthermore, while Hatterene can switch into entry hazard setters such as Ting-Lu and Great Tusk, it can be worn down quickly from their repeated Ground-type attacks. Great Tusk and Corviknight can help Hatterene from needing reduce Hatterene's need to switch in as often by acting as alternative switch-ins. Due to relying on Leftovers and Draining Kiss for recovery, Hatterene can struggle stay healthy, particularly if it loses its Leftovers to Knock Off or is hit by Salt Cure, so it is recommended to have teammates that can switch into these moves. Corviknight can switch into Knock Off from hazard setters such as Meowscarada and Great Tusk, while Covert Cloak Gholdengo can neutralize Salt Cure. Pokemon holding Rocky Helmet such as Corviknight can be troublesome for Hatterene, as they will wear Hatterene down when it uses Nuzzle or Draining Kiss. Covert Cloak users, especially Gholdengo, are similarly irritating for Hatterene due to nullifying the secondary effect of its Nuzzle or Mystical Fire. Knock Off support from Meowscarada, Great Tusk, or Iron Valiant is thus appreciated to remove these items from the opponent's Pokemon. Hatterene's weakness to Steel- and Ghost-type attacks can be exploited by strong attackers such as Gholdengo, Dragapult, and Kingambit. Kingambit and Tera Water Garganacl can reliably switch into Gholdengo and Dragapult, while Great Tusk and Dondozo can counter Kingambit.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Magcargo, 177111]]
- Quality checked by: [[tpp, 260369], [chimp, 197439]]
- Grammar checked by: [[username1, userid1]]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)