CAP 12 CAP 1 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, Choutoshio's is probably my favorite one so far. I love the Flying/fighting rendition of a flying frog and the concept itself is very original and refreshing.

Wyverii, Sentret,and Cyzirvirsheen also have some pretty cool entries. Sentret, I preferred the old green-white color scheme, this one seems too robust.

Here's my recolored entry following PokemonTaicho's advice.

Sentret I personally think this color scheme change is a move in the right direction.
Before I was trying to find where the fighting was in your drawing but now it definitely shows elements of fighting in it.
I feel like mixing the new colors with the old, more air wave-y design would provide the best overall results.
But that's just me.

I've decided to go with my 2nd design because, let's face it, a bird would be way too obvious. Here's just a quick update, just to make it more clear what I am going for this design. It's by no means final, I need to refine it a lot more, including color scheme.

Also, in case it wasn't clear:
Flying= Jet boots
Fighting = Fighting Robot concept in general

Here's a copy/paste of the inspiration from my original post.
For the second guy, I wanted to go for a more abstract idea. I thought, "Birds and wings are kind of overdone. What else can I do to convey flying." Then I remembered astro boy and was like "ROCKET BOOTS". Overall, this guy is supposed to give off the retro superhero mecha/robot/megazord/etc vibe, while at the same time, not seeming TOO mechanical. It possesses huge thrusters for flight and two arm cannons for offense. For now, the CAP stats tend to be very special-offensive and relatively weak physically, with the cannons being able to fulfill the aspect. There's not much you can do physically with giant cannons for hands short of bonking the enemy with it. Overall I'm liking this guy a little more.

Threads been kinda slow today! I think the new colorscheme suits the fighting typing a lot more. Lemme know what you think!
The new colors are great. I think that you should keep the arms posed the way they are and put him on the cloud like he was on your last post. Your panda and aragornbird's hero bird have my votes.

Sentret I personally think this color scheme change is a move in the right direction.
Before I was trying to find where the fighting was in your drawing but now it definitely shows elements of fighting in it.
I feel like mixing the new colors with the old, more air wave-y design would provide the best overall results.
But that's just me.
Couldn't agree with this more. I'd like to see you try the bamboo hair again, but this time coloring it brown, a la dried bamboo shoots? I feel like it could work with the new color scheme.

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Alright

So I developed my UFOmon idea to make it look more bulky and "evolved"

And ended up with this

But I also wanted it to look like a Flying-type rather than a mechanical Steel-type

That's when Rising_Dusk gave me some great input and ideas

The result was this

This mon's body design is cloudy, but it also resembles a UFO, people often mistake it for an alien spacecraft when it flies around at high altitudes.

It's hands are disconnected from its body, much like Haunter's, and as such gives it a greater degree of freedom and enables it to use a larger variety of techniques.

I'll leave the bird designs to others I guess, UFOs are where it's at

breh

強いだね
@Fate

Methinks the eyes look too kirby-esque. Also, it seems like the design has difficulty showing the 70 speed (it didn't stop vodoom but hey).

Otherwise, the design is very nice.

Wow I have a hard time seeing anyone but Sentret winning this one. Just an amazing design, with every change making it better and better. I have a soft spot for people trying design a Pokémon around an animal that doesn't have a Pokémon yet, especially the ones that are conspicuous by their absence (clouds, pandas, dolphins, etc.). But really, just a spectacular job. The red coloration was a huge boon, making him much more Fighting-esque. I love the cloud wristbands and I agree that trying some red bamboo shoots might be interesting (maybe his pre-evo could be Grass/Fighting and he grows his cloud mustache and withers his bamboo as he becomes an elderly guru). You might try again giving him clouds around his feet or making another floating/flying photo. You and Aragornbird are the two best imo.

@Fate

Methinks the eyes look too kirby-esque. Also, it seems like the design has difficulty showing the 70 speed (it didn't stop vodoom but hey).

Otherwise, the design is very nice.
As far as the eyes go, I feel like Electrode-style eyes would actually look pretty good on either iteration of the Pokemon.

My personal preference is for the second concept you have there. The first is great, but it's far too mechanical to me.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
Ok so ditching my past two designs in favor of a new one. I really liked the whirlwind element of the Revenankh design, so i incorporated it into a new one. This time I tried adding charm and a sense of whimsy.

So what's something that's full of smiles and is charmingly whimsy? Puppets!

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a110/kingofanime/Art/Fairly Recent to New Art/whirlninja.png
I was inspired by Young Goku riding the nimbus cloud and oddly enough, Puppetmon haha.

Here's the link to the older version:
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a110/kingofanime/Art/Fairly Recent to New Art/HAPPY.png

It was only after several pencil sketch iterations that it dawned on me that Emolga is also a flying squirrel. I decided it was a different enough direction so I continued with the flying squirrel/sugar glider idea anyway.

This is just a digital sketch. If it is well-received, I'll do a better job on the linework and coloring for a final submission.

I'm liking Energy Storm's idea. It looks like a special attacker with little or no physical power, and its thickness and the fact that its wings are skin and not feathers makes it look bulkier, which is exactly what the stat spread requires. The new colour scheme makes it look a lot more like a secondary fighting type too. I'm wondering what the underbelly would look like, a new pose would be nice.

I like Sentret's panda for its originality and the quality of the art, but we chose Flying as the primary type, so an idea that naturally flies would seem like a better idea IMO.

More a concept than a WIP. For whatever reason, the idea of a sort of Horus-inspired creature struck me first. Hell, if anyone thinks I should roll with this idea, I'll probably fine-tune it and see what happens.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Here is the clean inked version of my Red Baron fighter pilot design.

Coloring is soon to come. Bet you can't guess the primary color of this one, right? Here's one of many reference pics I have been using to get a feel for the Red Baron's signature Fokker DR1 tri-plane (click the thumbnail for the full pic):

I expect my design's color to be mostly red, of course. White for the accents like the mask and scarf. I really want to make the tail fin white too, like in the picture. We'll see.

Like many of my designs, I've been coming up with a fun backstory for this as I work on it. It's steeped in the lore of fighter pilots and aerial aces. I'll post more later when I get the coloring done.

@soiheardyoulikeSENTRET
you should definitely roll with the pose C, I will vote for it 100% if you do. the clouds on the back in that particular pose make it look like a flying pokemon; also you could do the same pose without the staff if others don't like it.

@DJD

I'm not 100% sold on the Iron Crosses being a part of your design. While I agree that something needs to be there, the Iron Cross is such a distinctly human design that it makes me feel like your Pokemon was manufactured. Granted, the Porygon line shows us that that is entirely possible, but I kind of got the feeling you were going for a more natural approach.

sentret, it's sad because the new color scheme makes him ugly but it makes him look alot more fighting-like

eh...

Er.. forgive me, but how is a plane going to use Fighting attacks? It looks more suited to pure Flying, really.

One thing I am having a hard time reconciling with the current iteration of my design and the designs of a lot of others is the idea of winged arms being used for fighting. Winged arms just seem too fragile, if you try to work out some sense of anatomy it just seems to bring in too many small bones - not enough bulk for punching and too many things to maneuver quickly and fluidly. Membranes are also maybe too delicate. That leaves wings on the back or no wings at all. Hm.
Okay, I know this was a few pages back, but I just want to point out this is a MASSIVE misconception. Bird wings are insanely strong, developed over the period of evolution for long term flight. Being hollow doesn't give birds bones any less strength. Chicken bones have been shown to withstand more during stress tests than a similarly massed piece of industrial steel!!

I've also witnessed firsthand how a goose can wing buffet a car door and leave a sizable dent.

I could see Doug's design using Aura Sphere, Focus Blast, and Vacuum Wave. And if we go with one of the spreads with no physical attack, that's really all it needs in the fighting department. I could also see it using a lot of fire moves, and maybe explosion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)