CAP 2 Pre-evo - Part 2.1 - Ability poll

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the ability discussion has been fairly uneventful, but it did produce some plausible options:

Forewarn / Telepathy
Anticipation / Telepathy
Cute Charm / Telepathy
Levitate
I decided to slate the latter two so that the poll wouldn't just be another one-off battle between two entries, and I felt they were plausible enough to see what the wider community thinks about them. Plus, I felt Telepathy should get some competition.

This will be a single bold vote poll. I decided to use this instead of IRV because I thought maybe I was just delaying the inevitable anyway by slating four options. A typical post might look like this:

My Preferred Choice

If the voter wishes, he may post comments on his vote below the actual vote. Only the vote itself should be bold and none of the supplementary text should be bold.
Note that any posts that do not contain a vote will be moderated and the poster warned. If you feel compelled to say something in your own vote, you may do so, but please don't try to incite a discussion here. Keep discussion to the IRC channel, #cap.

This poll will be open for 24 hours. The CAP 2 final product can be seen here.

Protip: Click on the egg for the art thread!

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Forewarn/Telepathy

Sticking with the same abilities. There are many, many examples of this, and I see no reason not to think that this is a satisfactory answer.

Anticipation / Telepathy

Anticipation just seems so much like a lesser version of Forewarn, so it seems to me that it would fit perfectly.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Forewarn / Telepathy

Change for the sake of change is just not something we see in most Pokemon. I don't mind Anticipation, but look at real Pokemon, how many have minor ability changes like this. For the most part, either they change significantly or not at all. Not at all is what I think is best.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Anticipation / Telepathy

Two of my ideas made it, I feel so loved :)

For the benefit of people who don't get it immediately, the idea behind Anticipation is that it's essentially a weaker version of Forewarn - hence, Miniturna hasn't yet learned to fully control its psychic/clairvoyant/what-have-you powers, and is thus limited its ability activating involuntarily (ie. when it "shudders"). I found it cute so... go figure.

Will support any item on the poll bar Levitate.

EDIT: Merely for clarity's sake, I don't think that "in-game precedent" is a reasonable argument here vis-a-vis sticking with the same abilities or not... there are as many examples of abilities changing as there are not. It all comes down to personal preference really, and I like the idea of its ability getting stronger as it evolves along with its stats... like a learning curve, if you will. That said, there is no objective way to argue for or against any of the options above, so I'll leave it there.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Forewarn / Telepathy

I'd prefer Anticipation if we had chosen mono-Grass type. But as is, I personally would prefer the combination I've listed above. I feel like Cute Charm is a bit of a cop-out to give a pre-evolution, but that's probably just me being crazy! Let's keep this baby chuggin' B)

Asylum_Rhapsody

Forewarn / Telepathy

Anything else just feels like trying to be different for the sake of trying to be different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)